Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

l33tc4k30fd00m posted:

[...]

Still it is pretty depressing how low people's opinion of the photog is in general...
Tell me about it!
I'm a designer (my job) and a hobby photographer. Both suffer from the same attrition and absolutely hilarious distorted perception of what it is that you're actually doing.
I'm constantly confronted with this attitude and have to defend my "value" to clients. Sorry sir, no, I'm not just a trained monkey who can use Photoshop...

Being a good photographer, their perspective:
-Read one (1) book about the technical "stuff"
-Buy most expensive camera in shop
-Buy most expensive lens in shop

Voila! Your images (of your cat) have suddenly become incredible!
See? No effort, at all. Just money, man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

brad industry posted:

I just set up a mirrored RAID for everything and now I can finally sleep at night.

I wish I knew how to do this. Is it fairly simple? I still have not come up with a proper backup solution after getting my recovered data back.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Mannequin posted:

I wish I knew how to do this. Is it fairly simple? I still have not come up with a proper backup solution after getting my recovered data back.

It depends on whether or not your motherboard has a dedicated RAID controller. If not, you'd need to buy one, plus a second hard disk. It's best if you buy the same model/capacity that you're currently using.
Once you've got the hardware it's a pretty straightforward thing. The best thing about a RAID is that it's automatic.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I don't have a mirrored RAID, but I use Synctoy on a schedule for my local backup. It's as easy as downloading the free software and pointing it at the two drives.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's software based raid.. never done it for windows but I'm sure someone's got something done out there. There's a performance hit but if all you care about is data integrity, it works fine.

The backup in Windows 7 is a decent option if you need free. If you've got a large spare hard drive, it'll give some peace of mind.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Mannequin posted:

If you have Windows7, it is as easy as a few mouse clicks to get a RAID1 setup (convert to dynamic disk and then to mirrored RAID)

But, RAID is for fault tolerance, not backup and you'd be better to follow AIIAZNSK8ER's suggestion

or run Windows Backup and Recovery to an external HDD

EDIT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKDCmOBqNBY

Literally takes less than 1 min to perform all the clicks to set this up

spog fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 15, 2011

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Is software RAID reliable? I've had friends tell me that even the built in RAID controllers on motherboards are crap and that getting a good dediated RAID card is the only way to go. That's my anecdotal experience.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Is software RAID reliable? I've had friends tell me that even the built in RAID controllers on motherboards are crap and that getting a good dediated RAID card is the only way to go. That's my anecdotal experience.

I used the built-in contollers on motherboards for years without issue. Anecdotal, I know, but they were just as good/fast as the off-board one I used.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

If you just consider reliability, then I've not seen anything to suggest that software is less reliable than hardware.

That said, there are definite benefits to hardware RAID:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/raid-hardware-vs-raid-software.html

But, consider how many of these would affect your own situation at home.

For home use, I contend that RAID is pretty pointless - you'd be much better off spending your time and money getting a good backup system and workflow.

If you are running a commercial setup where time is money, then absolutely you should use RAID, but for home use, does it really matter if you have to spend an hour restoring from a backup in the event of hardware failure

Also, for commerical use, administration time is an important factor, as well as the ability to hot swap busted drives and for that, separate hardware is going to be better.

That said - if you have everything all backup regularly, I see no disadvantage of throwing in an extra HDD into your PC case and running mirrored RAID. Drives are so cheap these days. But, practically, it's not much of a real advantage.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I haven't used windows software RAID, but linux LVM and software RAID is rock solid. Performance hit with 2+ cores is tiny. I think Windows should be as good, at least in 7.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

dunkman posted:

Blah, just lost my pictures / music / movies drive.

Won't even get detected in any machine. I don't really get paid for this, so it's not worth it to send it off to a data recovery place.

That sucks.
I know the "what will you spend your tax return on?" question was an age ago (holy poo poo, 70 new posts? oh, GBS has an opinion on photographers, neat) but I'm definitely spending a chunk of change on some backup drives.

And ideally a replacement for my 3-year-old 18-55 kit lens that's had a busted mount since Summer 2009. The Tamron looked inviting until I saw that video showing how loud the manual focus is, making it effectively useless for video work where sound on tape will be used. But realistically, I don't expect to be able to afford a quiet, constant 2.8 18-50.

pwn fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jan 15, 2011

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you do do software raid, don't be an idiot and put three partitions on the same disk in the set.

I know a guy that did this and was all "my data is totally safe because it's raid!"

He never considered what would happen if the physical disk died.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I have two external 1 terabyte drives. I just occasionally copy my photo folders to both drives.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I use a Drobo, I like how easy it is to use and the redundancy, works well for me.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I have this external 2 slot raid box : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001W6Q7R6/ref=oss_product

I am about to update it with 2 different 2tb drives.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

A big advantage of software RAID over hardware is that you don't need any kind of special hardware. Sounds obvious, but with hardware RAID you need to buy a new RAID card of the exact same type if the first one dies. Good luck if your card or motherboard was discontinued or something.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Mannequin posted:

(On a Mac) Pop two drives in, open disk utility, select RAID, drag the drives over to it, hit format. That was pretty much it. I am doing RAID1 (mirror) which doesn't need a RAID card or anything, it's pretty simple redundancy. If you don't have free slots in your computer there are a bunch of ~$100 two drive enclosures that will work perfect (I was looking at the DNS323).

I put an external drive with an archive of every photo I've ever taken in a safe deposit box, and then sync current stuff to my Dropbox account until I update the archive. I also run a Time Machine backup of my photos to another drive for archiving revisions.

Long term I think I will eventually move to some kind of hardware RAID/NAS and do RAID5 but this will do it for now, I don't have that much data.

quote:

I use a Drobo, I like how easy it is to use and the redundancy, works well for me.

I was so close to buying one, but it seems everyone either loves it and it works as advertised OR people hate it and it's slow and unreliable and flaky.

I was also considering rolling my own NAS:
http://frankleng.me/2010/05/01/zfs-powered-nas-the-ultimate-alternative-to-drobo-droboshare-the-complete-guide/

but it seemed like too much trouble for what I currently need.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

brad industry posted:

This is my favorite quote in the history of everything

John Ruskin: "The labour of two days is that for which you ask two hundred guineas?"
James Whistler: "No. I ask it for the knowledge I have gained in the work of a lifetime."

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I got home tonight and my roommate and fellow photographer casually observed "those are your photography pants, huh? Worn out knees and a hole in the back pocket," and he was 100% correct.

...quality posting. I got nothin'.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

BobTheCow posted:

I got home tonight and my roommate and fellow photographer casually observed "those are your photography pants, huh? Worn out knees and a hole in the back pocket," and he was 100% correct.

...quality posting. I got nothin'.

Time to buy better pants.

I thought the final outcome of Colorfinger's thread was pretty hilarious:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3380842

In short, Jason Hicks himself joins the forums to post and defend his disqualification of Colorfinger and his craft. I hope my comments got through to him in some way, but I doubt it as he actually linked to this hilarious blog post:

http://jasonhicksphotography.com/blog/?p=304

"Creative use of lens flare" :barf:

Click here for the full 1015x764 image.

Edit: a lot of his advice is fairly reasonable but it's clear from the photos that he's still making glaring faults.

Edit2: Tip 1b sounds terribly retarded. I think it's clear from that comment that he doesn't truly understand exposure.

Rated PG-34 fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 16, 2011

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Rated PG-34 posted:

I thought the final outcome of Colorfinger's thread was pretty hilarious:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3380842

I still don't understand why that thread ran: soliciting has been explicitly banned for a very long time - even when a mod is benefiting (I think it was NMS who had his thread gassed by Lowtax, with the comment 'this is stupid')

Nothing at all against Colorfinger - but he's screwed this photographer into working for free or else face the wrath of goons invading his online business.

We're not fcking 4chan.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

spog posted:

I still don't understand why that thread ran: soliciting has been explicitly banned for a very long time - even when a mod is benefiting (I think it was NMS who had his thread gassed by Lowtax, with the comment 'this is stupid')

Nothing at all against Colorfinger - but he's screwed this photographer into working for free or else face the wrath of goons invading his online business.

We're not fcking 4chan.

Yeah, that puzzled me too. Maybe it's because people hate paying for wedding photography (or any sort of photography), which I understand if you have to pay $2000 for lovely photos.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Competitions like this never end well unfortunately.

Seems like this guy's just going to machine gun the wedding and run 'em through his pro photoshop actions and call it a day.

Between that thread and McMadCow and the Subforum of Doom the Dorkroom is really leaking into the mains

Paragon8 fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 16, 2011

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I don't think enough people understand how the internet actually works.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I think he was pretty classy in how he handled things. I feel bad for the guy. He really has put a lot of work into making a business and even if he sucks, he's honestly doing things to the best of his abilities and he acknowledges that. He could have easily come on the forums and said that all the people commenting know nothing of photography and he's a super-pro but he's just a guy trying to make a living. I respect him for that, even if he sucks at his chosen profession.

Also his wife sounds awful (based on what little information there is, but being notably angry about your husband being poo poo talked on an Internet forum is pretty pathetic) so I feel bad on that front too.

surgical scar
Nov 8, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Mr. Hicks' photography may not be the best, but at least he has enough sense to just give a package to Colorfinger, rather than ruin his whole word-of-mouth campaign by becoming the target of a bunch of immature assholes.

It is neither pathetic nor awful of Mrs. Hicks to take offense at what people have said on the forums. Words matter, even when they come from bitter, vitriolic goons. Her husband may have to play nice to avoid having his entire promotion ruined, but she does not. Good for her for standing up for her husband.

spog posted:

We're not fcking 4chan.
I completely agree.

surgical scar
Nov 8, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Wait a second, that's not fun stuff. Here is a picture of a beautiful lady :)

surgical scar fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 16, 2011

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

surgical scar posted:

It is neither pathetic nor awful of Mrs. Hicks to take offense at what people have said on the forums. Words matter, even when they come from bitter, vitriolic goons.

Caring what random strangers on the Internet think of you to the point where it influences your emotions is, in fact, sad. Especially when the disparagement amounts to "you husbands photos aren't that good." Boohoo people have opinions.

And I saw zero "bitter, vitriolic" goons in that thread. The main person knocking on the photos was trying to give him advice on finding someone who would do a better job recording one of the most important days of his life. There was no mean-spiritedness and it's ridiculous to imply that there was.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Caring what random strangers on the Internet think of you to the point where it influences your emotions is, in fact, sad.

Hey man, this is not true. What, she shouldn't be upset the business her husband is trying to run is being poo poo on where anyone who happens to google his name can see?

What the gently caress, man. I mean, you just said that he was noble and poo poo about it but it was a lovely thing to happen to him. You just said that. Yet you think there's no good reason to let it "influence your emotions". WHAT DO YOU USE YOUR EMOTIONS FOR

like once a week you let them out on your dick AND THEN THAT'S IT

EDIT: really, no emotions on the internet. this is an emotion free zone. really? who thinks that? that's wierd. isn't that wierd? am i the only one?

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Caring what random strangers on the Internet think of you to the point where it influences your emotions is, in fact, sad. Especially when the disparagement amounts to "you husbands photos aren't that good." Boohoo people have opinions.

Good lord man it's not a crime to care about things. Maybe not everyone wants to be an emotionally stunted alpha-nerd.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Can anyone in the UK recommend a reputable (and reasonably priced) insurer for photographic kit?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Helmacron posted:

Hey man, this is not true. What, she shouldn't be upset the business her husband is trying to run is being poo poo on where anyone who happens to google his name can see?

What the gently caress, man. I mean, you just said that he was noble and poo poo about it but it was a lovely thing to happen to him. You just said that. Yet you think there's no good reason to let it "influence your emotions". WHAT DO YOU USE YOUR EMOTIONS FOR

like once a week you let them out on your dick AND THEN THAT'S IT

EDIT: really, no emotions on the internet. this is an emotion free zone. really? who thinks that? that's wierd. isn't that wierd? am i the only one?

We need to drink whiskey and yell at people. Seriously get to Seattle and you drink for free.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

xzzy posted:

If you do do software raid, don't be an idiot and put three partitions on the same disk in the set.

I know a guy that did this and was all "my data is totally safe because it's raid!"

He never considered what would happen if the physical disk died.
That doesn't sound anything like RAID, you don't get to choose which disks in an array your stuff gets written to. The whole point is to protect you if one of the physical disks dies.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FasterThanLight posted:

That doesn't sound anything like RAID, you don't get to choose which disks in an array your stuff gets written to. The whole point is to protect you if one of the physical disks dies.

Exactly. But most software based raid solutions don't do any sanity checking on what disk partitions you put into the set. If you want to carve up a 2tb drive into three equal sized chunks, and make it a 3 disk "raid", it will let you.

I work in IT, I guess I shouldn't have let my "stupid user" stories leak into a photography forum.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I think I posted about it in the gear thread but this seems like where the discussion is. I just built a RAID 1 backup NAS using an old P4 box I had laying around. Its running freenas (a freebsd based OS) and had 2 2TB drives in software raid 1. Im a pretty big fan so far. It was easy to set up, runs supper fast, and even with my OS drive failing (an old drive i found in the bottom of one of my drawers) it was pretty easy to recover my data. Im now running the OS off of a 512mb flash drive and all seems good. If you want to build a NAS on the cheap and have an old computer some where, I couldn't recommend it more. That said, Ive spent some time with synology NASs and they are loving awesome. They are stupid fast and have all sorts of cool options. So if you feel like dropping a few $$$ on a NAS then I would go with them.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

spog posted:

We're not fcking 4chan.

And the only guy who points that out in the thread gets banned, not even a probate.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I noticed a pretty huge spike in my views in flickr. I think it's the result of this:
http://www.blogto.com/city/2011/01/the_photos_of_the_week_january_10-16/

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Magnum photographer David Harvey claims that photography does require blood, sweat and tears:
http://www.vimeo.com/17855680

Video shot by his son, Bryan Harvey, which is cool all by itself.

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.

TomR posted:

I noticed a pretty huge spike in my views in flickr. I think it's the result of this:
http://www.blogto.com/city/2011/01/the_photos_of_the_week_january_10-16/

Yeah, it's a weird feeling seeing some of the pictures posted to the Dorkroom show up in my blogto feed. Wes Mantooth (dan cronin.jpg) gets posted a lot too.

Also voted for you since your photo was the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Magnum photographer David Harvey claims that photography does require blood, sweat and tears:
http://www.vimeo.com/17855680

Video shot by his son, Bryan Harvey, which is cool all by itself.

Using the pop-up flash. God, what an amateur. :v: