Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

unpurposed posted:

I'm really interested in learning how to take care of my guitar, specifically changing the action, making adjustments to the truss rod, etc. What's the best resource around for this?

Dan Erlewine's GuitarPlayer Repair Guide is a great book filled with information on doing this and even more advanced things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?

Paramemetic posted:

Wait till you discover jazz chords. dim7 and 7b5 are bitches.

7b5 and 13 chords are my favourite because they look difficult and sound awesome (ehhh maybe not 7b5)
Also I have some backing tracks in A and E 12 bar blues if anyone is interested.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

crm posted:

Where can I find some backing tracks? Specifically some basic, slower blues stuff

Cool thing about blues, you can play with any blues cd you have. There is always enough room for another player. Toss in some Albert King and jam along.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Blues is awesome. Throw on the backing track, noodle on the blues scale and it sounds like you know wtf you're doing.

Time to learn/create a collection of licks so I actually do know what I'm doing.

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

I want a nice metal pedal to gently caress around with, the crunch effect on my amp doesn't quite cut it and I was wondering what the popular option is for kicking out meaty tones, like that of Korn or Pendulum?

Hanpan fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jan 10, 2011

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
Korn tone isn't meaty at all. It's good, but I'd definitely consider it restrained compared to what's going on nowadays. For the most part, I find the amp drive knob to be enough, but I'm an unusual case, I think. What's your amp and guitar/pickups?

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

It's a Fender Strat 09 (stock) alongside a Line 6 Spyder IV. I know it's a pretty lovely amp but I am just starting out.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
Well, the mesa/boogie model on that amp is probably fine, but I don't know if you're going to be entirely happy with a metal tone on a Strat instead of a Tele or something with humbuckers.

Rockatansky
Mar 14, 2010
I looking to buy either a black Fender Toronado or an Airline '59 both going for $400, does anybody have some input on either guitar?

edit cant spell, any feedback would be great.

Rockatansky fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jan 11, 2011

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Can y'all recommend a guitar-focused music theory book? I've read the first theory link in the OP and finally get the gist of it, but I'd like a hard copy of something as well. I've heard good things about Fretboard Logic - is it worth it?

curried lamb of God fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 11, 2011

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
Is there somewhere I can read up on what exactly does what in regards to the pots and wires and crap in the pup electronics? I have no understanding of -why- this is connected to that and what it's all doing, and it makes me uncomf!

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Need some help guys, I've owned a couple of guitars for years and have been able to mess about with power chords fairly confidently throughout but I'm completely self taught and have no knowledge of theory and live in fear of proper chords.

After a long break I've decided to dust of my acoustic and start essentially from scratch as this time round I wont have the same things that hindered my initial learning (i play right handed but am naturally left handed, also I was studying at Uni and had little spare time)

Im looking to play general acoustic rock songs with a view to writing my own but lack alot of musical knowledge, I'm not looking to become a demonic heavy metal shredder but enough knowledge and skill to write my own songs and perform would be nice.

Is there any recommendations on any books that may help, (If there available on Kindle that would be great) I would also ask if anyone knows of any good iphone/ipad apps that can help with learning?

I have been looking into tuition although im not loaded, a friend of mine has offered to help me out so I'll be hitting him up for some tips.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

I would definitely go through the tutorial videos and stuff on justinguitar.com . He's got a nice friendly style and you can dip in and out of the stuff, seeing what your current level seems to be.

The best thing you can do is get a jamming partner to help you along and get some of your chops back. Do look into a teacher if you want to learn theory, it's better to get that from something beyond a book.

edit: VVV Tabs are a crutch. He's trying to get you to understand the music and hear it.

Kaiho fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 12, 2011

crm
Oct 24, 2004

justinguitar is good stuff. I just wish he showed tabs during his tutorial.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

surrender posted:

Can y'all recommend a guitar-focused music theory book? I've read the first theory link in the OP and finally get the gist of it, but I'd like a hard copy of something as well. I've heard good things about Fretboard Logic - is it worth it?

I used fretboard logic as a supplement mostly for stuff I've found online. It helps to connect the dots when things I find online don't make a lot of sense. As a reference, it's really solid.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've found a red Hagstrom Viking for $550. It's a floor model.

Any reason I shouldn't buy it?

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

surrender posted:

A Modern Method For Guitar is a great book.
The Advancing Guitarist is also really great, but is mainly for guitarists who have a firm grasp on theory and want to know what to do next.

Dolphin fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 12, 2011

Ralconn
Aug 2, 2006

crm posted:

justinguitar is good stuff. I just wish he showed tabs during his tutorial.

If I recall correctly he got into some legal trouble over having tabs on his site.

seigfox
Dec 2, 2005

Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.
Can someone explain to me how the materials used in the body of a solid body electric guitar effect the quality of the sound that the guitar creates? I've been told that a denser material creates more sustain, but I can't find any information so I don't know why this is. Does this hold true for the fretboard material as well?

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
I regard a lot of that wood stuff as handwavey generalization at best. Everything affects sustain and tone between the strings and the cab's mic, and they can all be significant. Maybe http://www.jemsite.com/jem/wood.htm will answer some questions for you, but in my experience, it's almost all in your head.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
It's also the shape and cut as well. Eddie Van Halen in some interview said he always likes loving around with his guitars and ended up cutting too much wood off one of his favorite guitars in the wrong spot and it never sounded the same ever again. Maybe more experienced players can notice all these details. I sure can't.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I'm looking to learn an acoustic version of Pink Floyd's Outside the Wall.

I really enjoy these three acoustic renditions I found on youTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o03JIbnrBw&feature=related
(I especially like this woman's take)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psQ6XN4KwjU
(instrumental, finger-picking)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsE0eCH_PxY
(also good)

Any help??

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

ProperCoochie posted:

I'm looking to learn an acoustic version of Pink Floyd's Outside the Wall.

I really enjoy these three acoustic renditions I found on youTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o03JIbnrBw&feature=related
(I especially like this woman's take)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psQ6XN4KwjU
(instrumental, finger-picking)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsE0eCH_PxY
(also good)

Any help??

What exactly are you looking for help with? The bulk of this is just going to be playing chords while occasionally hammering on to strings with your pinky finger while strumming. The third video shows this pretty well. This song is simple enough because the notes that need played are all components of open chords.

Do you need a tab or something? I could put one together. Or are you looking for any specific advice?

Edit:

The melody can be played entirely on the D and A strings. You can play this with your thumb while strumming with your fingers, similar to a method called Carter family picking. That's how I'd do it.

D:---2-2-3-2-2-2---0-2-0-0-0-0---0-2-3-2
A:---------------3-------------3--------

The chords are C, F, and G (and an Am toward the end).

The guy playing the instrumental plays the melody with his forefinger on the B and E strings, like so

E:---0-0-1-0-0-0-----0-------------0-1-0
B:---------------1-3---3-3-3-3-1-3------

And then plucks the A (3rd fret, C chord form, C) and D (2nd fret, C chord form, E) for his bassline.

Edit2: (Weak) example of how I play this using my thumb to play the melody and my finger strumming for support/rhythm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf3M6pOcRss

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 15, 2011

Dick Danger
Oct 13, 2010

Gee Gee Baby Baby
This may not be the right place to be asking, but it's the only one that comes to mind.
I've spent the last week melting my brain trying to come up with some chords for an acoustic rendition of Kanye West's 'Touch the Sky'. Usually I don't have too much trouble with these sorts of things, a lot of the time I just end up with a chord progression that vaguely matches the original and rely on vocals to really make it obvious what song it is, but I'm really firing blanks on this one.
Anyone want to take a swing at this?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

There's a few tabs here:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?value=move+on+up&search_type=title

The Kanye version's slowed down a half step though. You could go the funk route with the chords played on the top three strings, or these seemed to work kinda well:

Fsus4 x81010118
Eb7sus4 x68696
Ab6 4x354x
Bbm7 6x666(6)

You could use Ebm7 instead of the sus4 (x68676) but I wanted to get some of the notes from the horns in there too since it's a huge part of the sound, you could always jump between the two

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Question about three way selectors.

I have a Ibanez AS73b and when both pickups are selected, both volume knobs have to be more than 0 otherwise I get no volume from either, even if the other knob is all the way. Is this normal?

EDIT: To elaborate, If I have the bridge pickup set to 10 and the neck pickup set to 0, I don't get any sound. Once I set the neck pickup to >0 I start getting sound. Vice-versa, if I set the bridge pickup to 0 and the neck to 10, I don't get any sound. Both pickups have to have volume for any to work.

I realize that this is kind of silly because the point of the middle selector is to have both pickups selected, but I'm just confused about behavior. Furthermore, I'm not sure how the tone works in this case. Do I change the tone on each pickup individually and how do I know what to change to get the desired tone?

unpurposed fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 16, 2011

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer

unpurposed posted:

I have a Ibanez AS73b and when both pickups are selected, both volume knobs have to be more than 0 otherwise I get no volume from either, even if the other knob is all the way. Is this normal?

Yes, I think this is normal and has to do with the way they are wired.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

unpurposed posted:

Here is a pic of a diagram out of my les paul repair handbook, if this helps any.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
I have a question about my electro-acoustic guitar and didn't want to start a new thread.

The input jack, which is also the strap button, has come loose and now falls out at any opportunity bringing a load of wires with it, like some hideous guitar prolapse. The thing is, I can't work out how the thing was secured in the first place: there's no glue residue and it doesn't seem to 'screw' in. Should I just glue the fucker back in, or is there a better way of doing this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Al2001 posted:

I have a question about my electro-acoustic guitar and didn't want to start a new thread.

The input jack, which is also the strap button, has come loose and now falls out at any opportunity bringing a load of wires with it, like some hideous guitar prolapse. The thing is, I can't work out how the thing was secured in the first place: there's no glue residue and it doesn't seem to 'screw' in. Should I just glue the fucker back in, or is there a better way of doing this?

Thanks in advance for any help.
From the looks of it, it *did* initially sort-of screw in.. So if the hole is too large to fit the the assembly well anymore, i might take some wood glue and coat the insides of the hole, set up some 'second hands' to hold the jack while it dries to not touch the glue with the wires, then twist that sucker back in there after your new layer had set a bit.

Unless anyone else has any better ideas :)

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I decided to build my own guitar. Well, "assemble" my own guitar would be a better word. Rather than buying one of the guitar build kits, I decided to source out the parts myself. It's going to be a vintage style telecaster with a maple neck and fretboard. I decided to go this route because I hate the stratocaster style body, and the telecaster seemed to be the cheapest to build.

I didn't put much thought into making sure all the parts would fit together nicely, so I may run into problems. I pretty much just looked for "telecaster" parts and ordered what I wanted.

I also ordered a few books on the subject:
Player's Guide to Guitar Maintenance, by Dave Burrluck
Make Your Own Electric Guitar, by Brian May
Guitar Electronics - Understanding Wiring, by Tim Swike (don't buy this book, it's available for free online. I didn't know this until after I bought it)
How to Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great, by Dan Erlewine
The Guitar Player Repair Guide, by Dan Erlewine

I'm just looking for this first build to be a learning experience before I tackle higher end guitar builds that I actually want to play regularily (like an SG or Les Paul).

I'll probably make a thread on it to chronicle the build from the beginning, and also as a way of getting help from other people on the subject. I'm not sure which forum to do it on, though. SA doesn't seem to have a huge guitar following. I do like the Sevenstring.org forum though.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Koth posted:

I'll probably make a thread on it to chronicle the build from the beginning, and also as a way of getting help from other people on the subject. I'm not sure which forum to do it on, though. SA doesn't seem to have a huge guitar following. I do like the Sevenstring.org forum though.

Check out the TDPRI.

It's a website totally devoted to all things telecaster and they have a very active guitar building subforum. The people that post build threads often have decades of guitar building experience under their belt and are extremely helpful to those who are just starting out.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Sniep posted:

From the looks of it, it *did* initially sort-of screw in.. So if the hole is too large to fit the the assembly well anymore, i might take some wood glue and coat the insides of the hole, set up some 'second hands' to hold the jack while it dries to not touch the glue with the wires, then twist that sucker back in there after your new layer had set a bit.

Unless anyone else has any better ideas :)

Sounds like a plan, thanks. What kind of glue do you think would be best (anyone)?

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Side Effects posted:

Check out the TDPRI.

It's a website totally devoted to all things telecaster and they have a very active guitar building subforum. The people that post build threads often have decades of guitar building experience under their belt and are extremely helpful to those who are just starting out.

Cool, thanks for the link.

seigfox
Dec 2, 2005

Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.
I decided to pick up a new acoustic this weekend and ended up with an Ibanez Talman TCY20EVV.

But now that I have a shiny new guitar I'm worried about treating it right. My Yamaha is just about the heartiest guitar I've ever seen and it weathered my bumbling mishandling and poor maintenance/storage habits pretty well over the years, but I want the Ibanez to live a more comfortable life. Is there any routine stuff I can be doing to extend its life and prevent future problems? Never clean it with x or always be sure to tighten y and loosen z every two months, that type of thing?

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
Wash your hands before you play, wipe it off after, and keep it in a case in an area with consistent temperature and humidity.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Is there anything to the worn Fender lines other than the aged look? They say the fretboards are aged and such. What does this mean for actual playabilty? I don't personally like the worn look, if I want wear, I'd like to do it myself, but I also don't want to discount something that I might not be aware of. My eyes are on an American Standard right now, but all these new lines have me scratching my head.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Philthy posted:

Is there anything to the worn Fender lines other than the aged look? They say the fretboards are aged and such. What does this mean for actual playabilty? I don't personally like the worn look, if I want wear, I'd like to do it myself, but I also don't want to discount something that I might not be aware of. My eyes are on an American Standard right now, but all these new lines have me scratching my head.

The Road Worn series is really just a cosmetic thing. They have the exact same playability as anything else in their line-up, they are just made to look like they've been played for 50+ years.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Side Effects posted:

The Road Worn series is really just a cosmetic thing. They have the exact same playability as anything else in their line-up, they are just made to look like they've been played for 50+ years.

Not entirely.

Wear on the neck can improve playability by making it smoother and more comfortable to play. The finish is Nitro and I've been lead to understand that the body wood undergoes some additional process to dry it out more than usual. These two things are supposed to contribute to an improved tone such as you might expect from a real vintage instrument.

Exactly what effect this really has on tone is of course purely subjective; as is the playability improvement of the worn neck. One thing that is definitely fact though is that the Road Worn series tend to get good reviews all over.

I don't care much for the artificial wear and tear myself. It just looks fake. On the other hand though, the Road Worn P-Bass I tried the other day was very nice indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Bill Posters posted:

Wear on the neck can improve playability by making it smoother and more comfortable to play. The finish is Nitro and I've been lead to understand that the body wood undergoes some additional process to dry it out more than usual. These two things are supposed to contribute to an improved tone such as you might expect from a real vintage instrument.

Exactly what effect this really has on tone is of course purely subjective; as is the playability improvement of the worn neck. One thing that is definitely fact though is that the Road Worn series tend to get good reviews all over.

I guess it depends on how much you put stock into the finish and wood contributing to the 'tone' of the instrument.

Just going by specs alone, the only differences between the Road Worn series and others of comparable price is the soft V profile of the neck, the specially developed vintage sounding pickups and (in the Tele's case), the vintage style wiring. Personally, I don't buy into the whole artificial aging thing, but they are great values for their price. American pickups and a carefully applied and worked finish; all for a really affordable price? Hell yes! Artificial aging? Eh, not so much.