Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Esoter1c
Jul 18, 2007
Do you know me?
Hey guys,

I'm not sure if this would be the right thread, but Im a 22 year old male, living in Vancouver and I've just recently graduated with a BA in Criminal Justice. It's been pretty much impossible to find a half decent job and my RCMP application (my true career passion) couldn't get anymore stale (yay for no budget). I'm starting to consider joining the CF and was wondering what opportunities I may be suited for with my application background and how that would work. Looking at the website some things I would be interested in are MP Officer, Public Affairs Officer, and Intelligence Officer. I would love even more to be a Legal Officer but I don't really want to go through law school just to get in (if I could get in and then go through law school that would be a different story, Ive got a GPA and just wrote my LSAT).

Anyways, are there any positions I haven't considered that might be of interest? And what would the recruitment/training/work process be like. I've watched the videos but they're promotional material. I'd love to hear what you guys think.

Edit: Sorry, I should provide a little bit more background. The majority of my experience has been with the RCMP. I've worked on research projects both at the regional and national level, as well as I have been on many ridealongs and worked within the organization in various capacities. I have also worked in municipal government in bylaw enforcement.

Esoter1c fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Dec 28, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010
I typed out a whole post talking about how you don't want to be an MP, but looking back on it it was mostly just me being hateful and bitter, so I deleted it. Suffice to say, the MPs are pretty universally hated, which must be miserable for them. This has a sort of chicken and egg effect with the fact that most of them are huge dicks. I don't know which causes the other.

MP officer may be a different story. I don't know, I've only ever seen one from a distance.

PAO and Int guys both seem like decent indoorsy type jobs for the most part. Int guys slightly less so, but I'm told it's still mostly desk work.

If you actually genuinely give a poo poo about and can put some thought into being a leader, I'd say try an officer in the combat arms. But only if you can be part of the solution instead of the problem.

I'm getting out in about six monthes and I've had no less than three RCMP guys I know try to rope me in, so some time as an infanteer (or other combat arms... v0v) may be an asset if you really want to go Mountie.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
I've just gone through the recruitment/initial training process this last year so if you have any questions about that I can help. I don't know much about MPO, PAO, or Int O but I know some of my colleagues have been desperately trying to get out of their current trade and into those with little success, not sure how it is for civilians entering into it but I'd guess its fairly competitive. You're background seems better suited for it then theirs though. If you're thinking about it I'd say its worth it to go to the recruitment center and even start the application process while pursuing other options.

Esoter1c
Jul 18, 2007
Do you know me?
Thanks for shedding some light for me guys. Ill go take a look at Combat Arms Officer position, it came up in my search on the website but I didn't inquire further.

Amputee House you've got a pm.

Also if anyone else can shed some more light that would be fantastic.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Morristron posted:

I'm getting out in about six monthes and I've had no less than three RCMP guys I know try to rope me in, so some time as an infanteer (or other combat arms... v0v) may be an asset if you really want to go Mountie.

Dooes your time served in the CF count towards something in the RCMP?

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010
It doesn't count for anything that I'm aware of, except it may contribute to your pension, as they're both federal jobs.

To be clear, I'm not saying that there's any kind of actual organized advantage to being in the army first, but it's been my experience that they seem to dig that sort of thing. As with anything the internet tells you, your mileage may vary.

Esoter1c
Jul 18, 2007
Do you know me?
No I definitely know they do like military guys. Its the discipline and perseverance to getting through depot. Plus your likely to have a clean background.

I believe so long as your in the CF (or any other federal job) for 2 years, then your time will be pensionable when you switch (although I too am not positive). That is another plus for doing this, is I can start building up my pension right away - in the RCMP your pension maxes out after 35 years which would be a nice retirement date.

Edit: Also wasn't able to find Combat Arms Officer in the browse jobs, maybe they're not hiring for it atm?

Esoter1c fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Dec 29, 2010

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005

Esoter1c posted:

Edit: Also wasn't able to find Combat Arms Officer in the browse jobs, maybe they're not hiring for it atm?

Combat Arms refers to Infantry, Armour, Artillery, and Engineers.

Esoter1c
Jul 18, 2007
Do you know me?
Gotcha, embarrassing but unfortunately I'm coming into this with no previous experience with the CF :)

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
quick question:

how much would I hate life as a vehicle technician in the CF? I'm a german-trained mechanic with four years of experience at a Benz workshop, if that makes any difference.

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010
Their work their cocks off and there's always more broken vehicles than mechanics, but if you actually dig bending wrenches, I know there's a number of them that enjoy their jobs. If I were a gearhead I would change trades.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The Veh techs I've met seem to really enjoy their jobs, even though they're ALWAYS working, because tards that shouldn't have a drivers licence have their 404s. Not to mention driving the wrecker is tons of fun.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Frank Dillinger posted:

quick question:

how much would I hate life as a vehicle technician in the CF? I'm a german-trained mechanic with four years of experience at a Benz workshop, if that makes any difference.

Go work in a Benz dealership/shop then, I highly doubt the wages the CF could offer you could compare, and the working conditions will be worse. If on the other hand this is just something you want to do for the novelty/part-time you should be fine as we have a large fleet of Mercedes G-Wagens for you to deal with :) (at least at any armory that houses a reserve armoured regiment)

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 5, 2011

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I would rather blow my brains out then willingly work on G-Wagons. Sure they work pretty well and are fun to drive but gently caress ME RUNNING they're bitches to work on.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

MA-Horus posted:

I would rather blow my brains out then willingly work on G-Wagons. Sure they work pretty well and are fun to drive but gently caress ME RUNNING they're bitches to work on.

They don't spontaneously combust though, so that's a plus

Edit: Wait, are you saying you would blow out your brains, and then work on the G-Wagons, or blow out your brains instead of working on G-Wagons

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

Sure they work pretty well and are fun to drive

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA Good one there.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
thanks for the help guys! I guess I've got a basic 50/50 split on this, is there anywhere I can find out more about life as a tech fixing poo poo everyone keeps breaking for less than stellar pay?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Frank Dillinger posted:

thanks for the help guys! I guess I've got a basic 50/50 split on this, is there anywhere I can find out more about life as a tech fixing poo poo everyone keeps breaking for less than stellar pay?

The CF recruitment page has a LIVE CHAT these days, you could try that.

Edit: Sadly they don't give A/S/L :(

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.

Canuck-Errant posted:

The CF recruitment page has a LIVE CHAT these days, you could try that.

Edit: Sadly they don't give A/S/L :(

They might say they're 21/F/NavComm to lure you in but they're probably 45/M/MP :cop:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

HammerOfHope posted:

They might say they're 21/F/NavComm to lure you in but they're probably 45/M/MP :cop:

'Just turned 18 or 19, depending on which is local drinking age in your area' is probably a sign they're not who they claim to be

COMSEC :end101:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

The Amputee House posted:

Combat Arms refers to Infantry, Armour, Artillery, and Engineers.

Pff engineers as combat arms. As if. :colbert:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

tuyop posted:

Engineers own. Pioneers own more.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

yeah I hope you're kidding.

Fire Above
Mar 28, 2010
But they don't have a brass cap badge. :downs:

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
so anyone here have inside info on when CTs from reserve to regforce are gonna be open again? Ive been told my chosen trade is closed until the 31st of March. What exactly is going on with these CTs and why is the CF all hosed up? I mean, someones gotta start filling positions no?

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.

tuyop posted:

I don't know why you said this.

As for CTs it's pretty much standard having to wait for the new fiscal year, it sucks but I believe the federal budget is coming out soon? So all the money may not be allocated and that is probably why you are waiting. So it's pretty much just wait out. Could be a backlog of recruits where too many passed and they are dealing with that, there will be less of a man power shortage with less pers in Afghanistan. Any number of reasons.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Elgar posted:

As for CTs it's pretty much standard having to wait for the new fiscal year, it sucks but I believe the federal budget is coming out soon? So all the money may not be allocated and that is probably why you are waiting. So it's pretty much just wait out. Could be a backlog of recruits where too many passed and they are dealing with that, there will be less of a man power shortage with less pers in Afghanistan. Any number of reasons.

This is such an easy problem to fix. Just increase the budget!

ahahaha why did I even suggest that

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Elgar posted:

Maybe it was a joke?

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
No no combat engineers are fags and all they do is hang out with dogs all day.

But seriously, anyone from 1 CER on this site? My DP1 is next month and I really want to get posted to 1 CER but I keep hearing rumors about the base being closed to new Engineers, and that would piss me right off. Also anyone got any ideas what SQ in Wainwright is going to be like? Out here in gagetown it's a complete joke. I don't care about the cold, I just want my weekends of so I can visit my girlfriend in Saskatoon. Got My DP1 course date finally, starts March 4rth and is looking to be hard as gently caress.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Oh my god, Wainwright in winter. The local temperature high in Wainwright today is -22 celcius!

Have fun!

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Samu posted:

No no combat engineers are fags and all they do is hang out with dogs all day.

But seriously, anyone from 1 CER on this site? My DP1 is next month and I really want to get posted to 1 CER but I keep hearing rumors about the base being closed to new Engineers, and that would piss me right off. Also anyone got any ideas what SQ in Wainwright is going to be like? Out here in gagetown it's a complete joke. I don't care about the cold, I just want my weekends of so I can visit my girlfriend in Saskatoon. Got My DP1 course date finally, starts March 4rth and is looking to be hard as gently caress.

Wainwright in winter and girlfriend in Saskatoon? Oh, you poor bastard. I assume you already have neoprene gloves to line the 'winter' gloves they issue, and one of those polar fleece liners for your sleeping bag? If not, get some. And the poly liner socks, if you can pry them from Supply.

Expect to make full use of your winter gear :)

Tom Swift
Apr 11, 2010
The CF is just a headache for me, going through my second application to ROTP this year having not made the program last year.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
don't care about the cold, I just want to know if ill be able to see my girlfriend. Heard some rumors about getting cb'd the whole time, but if I've learned anything in my time in the CF its that 90% of rumors are people making poo poo up

Oh and the master corporal told us that our cmtt stuff would be there when we land, so most of us packed our extreme cold weather kit in our barracks box. Then the supply tech told us it would get there week 3.... its going to be a lovely 3 weeks... gently caress.

Samu fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 16, 2011

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Samu posted:

don't care about the cold, I just want to know if ill be able to see my girlfriend. Heard some rumors about getting cb'd the whole time, but if I've learned anything in my time in the CF its that 90% of rumors are people making poo poo up

Chances are you'll be cb'd the entire time. Every SQ I've heard of has been cb'd all four weeks

mr_selfdestruct
Jul 6, 2004

I just finished SQ in Wainwright, and we had a weekend off, but we were CB'd. Our CMTT was a week and a half late, so I hope you at least have your toque and gloves unlike some dummies on our course.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

gently caress that's reall lovely news. All the basewide SQ's in Gagetown never get CB'd at all. I guess I'll just be stupidly optimistic untill I hear otherwise.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.
I was going to say, the SQ that I am "running" right now doesn't get CB'd and it's policy at LFAATC. Wainwright is different I suppose. Why didn't you just get on the SQ here? It's rare for combat arms but some Combat eng have been on the ones run by LFAA.

Coccyx
Nov 13, 2005

I'm the backbone of this town
Hmmm, it's tricky guessing how much to disclose but here goes anyway.

I'm 24 and spent the last 5 years suffering through drug addiction. I have a clean criminal record save a few speeding tickets and that's not just because I didn't get caught. I'm putting together a bunch of clean time and have totally turned over a new leaf. I guess I want to prove myself to all the people I weird-ed out thanks to my turbulent childhood. I also want to make some cash while keeping healthy and doing a good, satisfying job. So I've been really interested in signing up.

Are stories like mine common? I've spent many years working farm labor so I know how to cowboy up and I've lived through hard consequences. Everyone I've talked to seems supportive of this move but I'd like to hear from people who have been there.

Are the CF competent? No offense but the term 'clusterfuck' gets brought up more than I would prefer. Is that just how it goes everywhere or is there some discrepancy in the management? I've had my brushes with death and made my peace with it, I just don't want to go out foolishly.

How do the forces respond to a history of drug use? I abused only soft drugs (no slamming or anything). I've got some medical check ups and I'm quite hardy. Should I never bring this stuff up when talking to a recruiter? Or should I be honest about it considering I am completely clean right now with no plans to relapse and am seeing services for treatment?

How much money would I expect to find in my bank account after I end a tour? I'd like to go to college for audio engineering and this would be a great way to fund that. Is it peanuts or quite reasonable?

I really do want to excel, am I daydreaming or could I really make a good soldier?

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Coccyx posted:

Are the CF competent? No offense but the term 'clusterfuck' gets brought up more than I would prefer.

Dang man don't beat around the bush, just come right out and ask if the entire Canadian Forces is worthless and lovely, why don't you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Slippery posted:

Dang man don't beat around the bush, just come right out and ask if the entire Canadian Forces is worthless and lovely, why don't you?

Only since they merged the branches. :v: