Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
You know what else we probably don't need in law school? Pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

billion dollar bitch posted:

I agree 100%. I'm going to make it my goal in life to declare law school a pants-free zone.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

billion dollar bitch posted:

you don't lose those until the student loan payments come up HEYYYYO
*tosses up ball*
*slugs it over fences*

*searches beneath bleachers for discarded hot dog ends*

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.

Adar posted:

Harvard is the blood throne. Yale is the skull throne where the blood comes from.

Stanford is the reclusive cousin no one talks about.

That could pretty much describe any of the other three chaos gods, so I'm afraid you'll have to be a bit more specific, counselor.

By this logic, Michigan is Leman Russ?

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Napoleon I posted:

That could pretty much describe any of the other three chaos gods, so I'm afraid you'll have to be a bit more specific, counselor.

Beats being the mutattted Chaos hordes.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Napoleon I posted:

Dibs on Slaanesh.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

MechaFrogzilla posted:

Dibs on Slaanesh.

No this place is more like the emperor's throne, with the thousands of young psychics being sacrificed every day to provide a light for the world.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
Are the fourth-tier schools the Guard in this analogy? Or the Tyranids?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Alaemon posted:

Are the fourth-tier schools the Guard in this analogy? Or the Tyranids?

They're more like the orks in that once they take root they become infinitely spawning and impossible to eradicate without glassing the planet. They're also like orks in that none of them really understands why their degrees or education will work, they just believe that they do (however they are unlike orks in that this doesn't actually work out for them)

i can't believe i'm not more employable than i am

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 17, 2011

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Cooley rankings: The Horus Heresy

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I am looking forward to the day that senior partners stand around the cooler discussing Warhammer, while the fresh young associates have to keep their stupid sports bullshit to themselves.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I am so amazed how mainstream that poo poo is now. When I was into it as a teenager I'm pretty sure like only one other kid in my school knew what it was. I mean I know SA overrepresents the high elf general population, but still

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

As I write this, I'm on break from doing research for an appellate brief so I can prime a few of these little guys:

I know a disproportionate amount of folks in the legal field who play Warhammer. It's odd :raise:

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Phil Moscowitz posted:

When I was into it as a teenager

Wait a minute, I thought Warhammer was first invented in the 80s?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I played WH40k Rogue Trader. I was 11-13. This was in the early 90s.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Also I'm in Dallas for the night if I owe anyone dinner for buying me a custom title or whatever. And if not, can someone tell me where to go for good fresh tortillas?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

When I was into it as a teenager

entris posted:

Wait a minute, I thought Warhammer was first invented in the 80s?

Believe it or not, there are people who aged out of RPGs before Warhammer came out
and are still alive.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Also I'm in Dallas for the night if I owe anyone dinner for buying me a custom title or whatever. And if not, can someone tell me where to go for good fresh tortillas?

What part of dallas?

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

entris posted:

I am looking forward to the day that senior partners stand around the cooler discussing Warhammer, while the fresh young associates have to keep their stupid sports bullshit to themselves.

What a wonderful world this would be.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Roger_Mudd posted:

What part of dallas?

The lovely part? Northwest I guess. Hotel is halfway between DFW and Love Field.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Phil Moscowitz posted:

The lovely part? Northwest I guess. Hotel is halfway between DFW and Love Field.

gently caress, you're in the middle of nowhere.

Here's a good resource though: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/744897

I've got to recommend Taqueria El Fuego over in Richardson.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Phil Moscowitz posted:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/taqueria-el-si-hay-dallas

El si Hay ftw!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Cool, thanks. I'm here for a bunch of depos so efficiency (and a cheap rear end client) dictated my choice of accommodations. I Yelped a local taqueria and now I'm in the corner of the depo room and I'm pretty sure the reporter is transcribing the sounds my intestines are making

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Cool, thanks. I'm here for a bunch of depos so efficiency (and a cheap rear end client) dictated my choice of accommodations. I Yelped a local taqueria and now I'm in the corner of the depo room and I'm pretty sure the reporter is transcribing the sounds my intestines are making

poo poo it's 12:30; in Dallas it's entirely appropriate to put the depos on hold for a "taco run". Just make sure the reporter gets it in the record.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I guess I wasn't clear. I already ate the tacos...

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

The other kind of taco run.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Ok guys, I have a brief little question here about something that is kind of freaking me out. A few months ago my mom lent me her credit card to make an online purchase - I have my own, but it was a purchase that she had wanted to pay for as a gift. Anyway, she ended up forgetting about this entirely, and didn't recognize the charge on her statement. So she called up the credit card company, reported it as unauthorized, and had it reversed. So I get an e-mail today from the vendor I made the purchase from updating the status of this order to "fraud" which seriously loving freaked me out.

So anyway, my mother is going to call the credit card company tomorrow morning and say that it was her mistake, and I already sent an e-mail to the online vendor saying that it was a misunderstanding. But I'm still incredibly loving freaked out about this. Should I be? Is this no big deal? I have no idea how fast the wheels on this sort of thing move and if I could still get in any sort of legal trouble, and I'm loving terrified at the prospect :psyduck:

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

kaworu posted:

Ok guys, I have a brief little question here about something that is kind of freaking me out. A few months ago my mom lent me her credit card to make an online purchase - I have my own, but it was a purchase that she had wanted to pay for as a gift. Anyway, she ended up forgetting about this entirely, and didn't recognize the charge on her statement. So she called up the credit card company, reported it as unauthorized, and had it reversed. So I get an e-mail today from the vendor I made the purchase from updating the status of this order to "fraud" which seriously loving freaked me out.

So anyway, my mother is going to call the credit card company tomorrow morning and say that it was her mistake, and I already sent an e-mail to the online vendor saying that it was a misunderstanding. But I'm still incredibly loving freaked out about this. Should I be? Is this no big deal? I have no idea how fast the wheels on this sort of thing move and if I could still get in any sort of legal trouble, and I'm loving terrified at the prospect :psyduck:
Wrong thread, but don't sweat it. It will all be fine.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

gvibes posted:

Wrong thread, but don't sweat it. It will all be fine.

Sorry about the wrong thread thing, I wasn't sure. Anyway, thanks for the reassurance. I called someone else who also told me not to worry, that basically the involved parties just want to get paid. Going to to chill about it, then.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

kaworu posted:

Sorry about the wrong thread thing, I wasn't sure. Anyway, thanks for the reassurance. I called someone else who also told me not to worry, that basically the involved parties just want to get paid. Going to to chill about it, then.

On another note, have you ever considered law school? You have the perfect mentality for it!

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Property is a fun class -- at least as far as I can tell from one whole week of it. Are there any legal positions which regularly encounter "property class" issues or is it just something that one just happens upon during regular personal injury representation or something?

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.
when you say legal position do you mean taking a position on what your view of the law is in regard to a property issue, or do you mean like a legal position where you do work and some firm pays you a regular, decent salary?

because you know, one happens all the time and the other doesn't really exist right now.

edit: for serious, property touches a wide range of areas of law. For example I have to call the county recorder to record a death certificate tomorrow to put the WHOLE WORLD on notice that some property has passed by a right of survivorship in a tenancy by the entirety. Estate planning, tax, family law, business litigation, pretty much everything. There's a reason property is a required 1l class.

mushi fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 18, 2011

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Green Crayons posted:

Property is a fun class -- at least as far as I can tell from one whole week of it. Are there any legal positions which regularly encounter "property class" issues or is it just something that one just happens upon during regular personal injury representation or something?

Just remember 99% of what you learn in property about physical land is useless in America. Unless you live in Alaska, all of the land where you live is already painstakingly accounted for at the County Recorder's office.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Green Crayons posted:

I don't think they're very close to property class issues but large firms usually have a real estate practice group and often a land use practice group.

Also, property really sucks.

jtsold
Jul 6, 2004
dlostj

BigHead posted:

Just remember 99% of what you learn in property about physical land is useless in America. Unless you live in Alaska, all of the land where you live is already painstakingly accounted for at the County Recorder's office.
Do you mean Torrens system? If so, I've done title on hundreds of tracts of non-Torrens land, and it wasn't in Alaska.

Edit: And given the vast number and variety of title issues I've encountered over the years, it's anything but "painstakingly accounted for". Maybe I misunderstood what you meant, though.

jtsold fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 18, 2011

Wavelet
Jun 1, 2009

Green Crayons posted:

Property class is useful for teaching you about characteristics of property and ownership--i.e., the "bundle of sticks" metaphor. On the other hand, most of the substantive law you learn in there is utterly useless.

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

Tomorrow begins week 3 in biglaw.

Talked to my fellow initiates and they all had the same new year's resolution: make it a year without getting fired/laid off.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mrtoodles posted:

Tomorrow begins week 3 in biglaw.

Talked to my fellow initiates and they all had the same new year's resolution: make it a year without getting fired/laid off.
Have you bought a helicopter yet?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Wavelet posted:

Property class is useful for teaching you about characteristics of property and ownership--i.e., the "bundle of sticks" metaphor. On the other hand, most of the substantive law you learn in there is utterly useless.

My wills professor constantly asked us "If [we] learned that in property."

I was never able to answer in the affirmative, all I learned about property was the bundle of sticks, adverse possession, and a lot about loving Indians.

gently caress law school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
There's a job! http://chronicle.com/jobs/0000664949-01