Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
Took these back in July on my road trip thru Cali.

_MG_5236 by natebol, on Flickr

_MG_5240 by natebol, on Flickr

_MG_5243 by natebol, on Flickr

_MG_5245 by natebol, on Flickr

_MG_5246 by natebol, on Flickr

_MG_5264 by natebol, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

... red filter?

I like them. Especially the first, if it weren't bisected perfectly I'd like it more.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Interrupting Moss posted:

... red filter?

I like them. Especially the first, if it weren't bisected perfectly I'd like it more.

No filter - just the way I processed them. The light was surreal there - it actually gave me a headache. I have a pano like the first that I will upload when I finish processing it.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
It has been raining a lot.

Bloviator
Jan 31, 2006

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Dread Head posted:

It has been raining a lot.

Moss gives such nice shadow effects; it's like a scaled-down version of grass on a hill.

Reminds me of the creeks where I live, except the closest ones are so full of leaves and debris due to not being wide that it's too chaotic to take a good photo.

Is the water in your shots a combination of a polarizing filter and long exposure, or do you do something else with it? I've been wondering what a multi-exposed shot with and without a polarizer would look like.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jan 16, 2011

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Bloviator posted:

Excellent catch! It's so hard to find a wild copyright notice in it's natural environment.

*insert lovely flashing flickr award here*

Bloviator
Jan 31, 2006
Yeah, I think that was a result of transferring that image from my (ex) Photoshelter account to my Flickr account. I didn't realize it was a permanent part of the image.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

atomicthumbs posted:

Moss gives such nice shadow effects; it's like a scaled-down version of grass on a hill.

Reminds me of the creeks where I live, except the closest ones are so full of leaves and debris due to not being wide that it's too chaotic to take a good photo.

Is the water in your shots a combination of a polarizing filter and long exposure, or do you do something else with it? I've been wondering what a multi-exposed shot with and without a polarizer would look like.

That shot was just a single exposure, I don't use a polarizer since a lot of my stuff is shot super wide and polarizers don't work as well super side (polarization is uneven). I would imagine that a combination of a polarizer would knock most of the reflections in the water down and you would be able to see though it a bit more.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

zapateria
Feb 16, 2003

Dread Head posted:

As nice as it can be with cotton like long exposure water, I really prefer this where you can really see the waves. This is my favorite though (bottom picture) http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3378219&pagenumber=1#post386488724

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Took this a couple of months ago in Malta:

Dusty Fort by J Dawson, on Flickr

Creepy Goat fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 19, 2011

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Went up to Scotland for a weekend in October and had a day of astoundingly hot and sunny weather; managed to get a few shots of the landscape between Glasgow and Fort William. It was so sunny in fact I could use an infra-red filter without a tripod:

Around Ben Nevis & Glen Coe 3 by Scatterfold, on Flickr

Around Ben Nevis & Glen Coe 11 by Scatterfold, on Flickr

Around Ben Nevis & Glen Coe 7 by Scatterfold, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Scatterfold posted:

Went up to Scotland for a weekend in October and had a day of astoundingly hot and sunny weather; managed to get a few shots of the landscape between Glasgow and Fort William. It was so sunny in fact I could use an infra-red filter without a tripod:

Around Ben Nevis & Glen Coe 3 by Scatterfold, on Flickr

Around Ben Nevis & Glen Coe 11 by Scatterfold, on Flickr

Around Ben Nevis & Glen Coe 7 by Scatterfold, on Flickr

You've inspired me to get in the car very soon and get over there again, the light and textures on the second are fantastic.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Holistic Detective posted:

Just got back from a week on Skye.

oh wow, these are amazing... and I'm incredibly jealous. I've been to Skye but it was before I was serious about photography. I think I took 30 rolls of film on my trip but probably only shot a roll with on Skye and nothing turned out nearly as amazing.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I went outside yesterday.

toybux
Feb 15, 2002

fuck you
i'm a quarterback
First trip out with my 30D, and well out of practice, so I'd appreciate any feedback. Rocky Mountain National is a hard place to take pictures in winter because it is just so so cold.

26 by toybux

25 by toybux

17 by toybux

Edit: BTW I realize that there are spots on the lens in the top two shots. These are straight outta the camera, so I haven't messed with cleaning them yet. It was snowing like a mother and made it hard to keep the lens clean.

toybux fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 25, 2011

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

toybux posted:

Edit: BTW I realize that there are spots on the lens in the top two shots. These are straight outta the camera, so I haven't messed with cleaning them yet. It was snowing like a mother and made it hard to keep the lens clean.

Those spots are from dust on your sensor, spots on your lens are going to be so out of focus that they will be next to impossible to see in photos. Crap on the front of the lens might affect contrast and increase flare a bit, but there really needs to be a ton of it to make a noticeable difference.

toybux
Feb 15, 2002

fuck you
i'm a quarterback

FasterThanLight posted:

Those spots are from dust on your sensor, spots on your lens are going to be so out of focus that they will be next to impossible to see in photos. Crap on the front of the lens might affect contrast and increase flare a bit, but there really needs to be a ton of it to make a noticeable difference.

Interesting. Why do they show up intermittently? I just went back and looked at some shots taken in sequence and the spots don't show up in most shots. Is it just dust inside the body getting kicked around by the shutter?

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

toybux posted:

Interesting. Why do they show up intermittently? I just went back and looked at some shots taken in sequence and the spots don't show up in most shots. Is it just dust inside the body getting kicked around by the shutter?

Shooting at wide apertures the light isnt focused by the time its on the same plane as the dust but is by the time it gets to the actual sensor. When you stop down the light is focused at longer distances on both sides of the lens so the dust cast a more obvious shadow on the sensor. Thats normally why you would see it then not stopped down.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Also when you are shooting in snow you are going ot have to adjust your exposure to compensate for the brightness of it. Depending on the conditions normally a stop or two will do.

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Hotwax Residue posted:

ho-lee poo poo.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I really need to go to iceland and new zealand.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Dread Head posted:

I really need to go to iceland and new zealand.

I'd settle for anywhere with elevation over 50 ft above sea level.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Dread Head posted:

The best photo you've made that I've seen, I think.

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

Can someone look at this and tell me if it looks too dark? I don't have a calibrated monitor and my eyes have been fighting with the histogram. I'm thinking that a few layer masks would be in order, but I am just starting to learn that.

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
Yeah, that's definitely too dark. I'd go the route you were thinking, with some layer masks for pretty much everything that isn't in the top right corner.

Hotwax Residue, that is an awesome, awesome shot. Congrats.

Scatterfold, that middle pic is a gorgeous b/w. I'm jealous.

Caught a sunset on a mountain overlooking Los Angeles. Composition isn't terribly exciting (there wasn't much up there), but I thought it was kinda purdy. 7 shot HDR.

Tongva Peak HDR by Smekermann, on Flickr

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Dread Head posted:

That shot was just a single exposure, I don't use a polarizer since a lot of my stuff is shot super wide

Do you use any filters? I've been wondering about this with my Nikkor 10-24.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Do you use any filters? I've been wondering about this with my Nikkor 10-24.

The only filter I use is a ND8 filter. I do often blend 2 shots together though.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

OK, cool. Thanks. Any recommendations of a particular filter? It's been a while since I looked into it, but I seem to remember it should be 'low-profile' or something, to prevent vignetting?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

OK, cool. Thanks. Any recommendations of a particular filter? It's been a while since I looked into it, but I seem to remember it should be 'low-profile' or something, to prevent vignetting?

I think that is just so the filter does not show in the photo. As for actual filters I don't know, I have a cheap kenko that I got because I was leaving on a trip and was all I could find locally. While it works I would probably maybe look for a better one, I noticed that some coating has chipped off.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

OK, thanks. It's always nice to know that someone who regularly produces great shots does not necessarily have the greatest of the great in terms of equipment.

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001

Pothole Lake by Smekermann, on Flickr

The last lake on the way up to Kearsarge Pass, Eastern Sierras. Old shot that I just got around to reprocessing.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

sunrise by torgeaux, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Smekerman posted:

The last lake on the way up to Kearsarge Pass, Eastern Sierras. Old shot that I just got around to reprocessing.

That's pretty neat, because the lake looks like it's a hole into another world.

I guess the downside is it completely dominates the image.. it sucks the eye in and doesn't let go.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Smekerman posted:

Very nice. I'm actually debating between Kearsage pass and Cottonwood Pass for a Whitney trip this summer.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit

Dread Head posted:

Great patterns in the water on this one. I always tend to end up with blown out highlights on the frothy water when I take forested long exposure, great work here.