Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nef
Feb 21, 2005

Grrr grrrrrrr

Crooked Booty posted:

Not to be rude, but are you sure? Normally cats have some pretty big gaps between certain teeth, and it might look like there should be a tooth when there really shouldn't. If your cats aren't siblings, I'd be pretty surprised if they both have the same mouth problem. :shobon: This picture shows the normal gaps: http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/cliented/anatomy/cat_digest.aspx

Cats should have all their adult teeth in by somewhere around 6 months, so no, that's not normal. Your vet should check it out. But really, if your vet has seen them in the last 6 months, any sort of tooth deformity should have been noticed then.

Is it possible the girl broke off one canine? This is a really common injury, but usually the remaining stub needs to be extracted by the vet.

I've never used grooming powders, but some of the spray-on "waterless bath" products work pretty well at degreasing isolated areas if you scrub a little with a rag.

Not sure at all! :) From looking at that picture it seems like the tiny teeth are normal, I'd just never realized cats had those... D'oh! I shall google it first next time, thanks :)

Edit: Crap, new page. Uh, look over there, Indie's in the snow!

nef fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jan 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Cat poop question, yaaaay! I wasn't sure if this was better for this thread or the nutrition thread, but here we are.

One of my guys has always had very soft, frequent poops. Not runny like diarrhea, but he's in and out of the box a lot, and stepping in it and tracking it no matter how often I scoop, and...yeah, it's gross. I'm used to "Timmy is dumb and a bit gross, that's why we love him," but any recommendations? This has been true through several different foods. He and Erlend get dry food only (should I be switching to some wet as well?); it's called Holistic Select, and I switched to it from Eagle Pack because it has no corn.

e: Oh, thank god someone put up a picture of a gorgeous kitty in the snow while I was writing, so I wasn't starting this page with catshit. (That is a beautiful cat! Ear tufts ahoy!)

Andrias Scheuchzeri fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jan 9, 2011

Hobbes
Sep 12, 2000
Forum Veteran
Dinosaur Gum
My 12 year old lab has recently started attracting swarms of flies that settle on her pretty much where ever she lays when outdoors. She has all sorts of allergies and is prone to ear infections but she's had those problems for years and the flies are a recent thing in the last couple months.
Anyone have any idea what sort of things I should be trying short of letting her hang out in the house all day?

spitsaliva
Mar 10, 2006
Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but here goes:

A very close friend of mine will be beginning her veterinary training sometime next month at the University of Queensland, in Australia.

I know a few of you guys in PI are vets, veterinary students, or whatever, so do you have any gift ideas? Something you wished someone had bought for you before you started your journey to vet-dom. A book perhaps? A stethoscope? I have no idea.

She'll be flying off, so this item would hopefully be something that doesn't cost more to bring on a plane--overweight charges and whatnot--than it is worth.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Hobbes posted:

My 12 year old lab has recently started attracting swarms of flies that settle on her pretty much where ever she lays when outdoors. She has all sorts of allergies and is prone to ear infections but she's had those problems for years and the flies are a recent thing in the last couple months.
Anyone have any idea what sort of things I should be trying short of letting her hang out in the house all day?
Going to go ahead and ask, what are you feeding your dog?

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

handsome only face fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 15, 2011

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Sometimes cats just breathe in a little dust, stuff like that. I wouldn't worry about a single coughing spell, only if it keeps happening.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Im looking to adopt a dog from a shelter but it seems to be that half of the dogs there are pit bulls. I don't have anything against people with pit bulls but, given their history, I don't feel comfortable adopting one. I found a dog listed as a black lab/boxer mix and when I showed it to a buddy of mine he said that it probably was a pit bull. What do you think PI?

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Looks like a lab-pit mix. Why are you uncomfortable owning one?

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Abbeh posted:

Looks like a lab-pit mix. Why are you uncomfortable owning one?

Too protective. I've had setters and spaniels my whole life.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

schreibs posted:

Im looking to adopt a dog from a shelter but it seems to be that half of the dogs there are pit bulls. I don't have anything against people with pit bulls but, given their history, I don't feel comfortable adopting one. I found a dog listed as a black lab/boxer mix and when I showed it to a buddy of mine he said that it probably was a pit bull. What do you think PI?

Looks like a bully mix to me. What "history" are you worried about? As long as going to a dog park is not a critical part of your life, bullies are awesome dogs. Why don't you check out the bully breed thread before ruling things out.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

That looks a lot more like a pit mix than a boxer mix to me. Boxers have squarer heads and shorter muzzles and are wrinkly and jowly. Some of that maybe would be alleviated by the black lab, but that's a pretty pitty face. (And a pretty one :3:)

I don't know if you can really tell the scale on that pic, is but I would guess a boxer/lab mix is going be a bit taller and stockier than the shorter, more athletic guy you got there.

Pit bulls themselves can be incredibly good dogs, but you're right to be a bit wary if what you're worried about are the associative effects- someone wanting to steal them, people being scared of them, breed-specific legislation, some potential for aggression to other dogs, etc.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

schreibs posted:

Too protective. I've had setters and spaniels my whole life.

You do know that pits aren't a protection breed, right? They're terriers. Most people have the impression they'd make a good guard dog because they look so intimidating, but they have no drive for that sort of work and would rather lick an intruder to death. They're useless for guard work.

If you can handle the energy and affection of a setter/spaniel, you could handle a pit. You certainly don't have to, but please read up on the Bully megathread before you make up your mind about what a pitbull is or isn't.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Pits are protective of everything. And by protective I mean love. They are terrible guard dogs, however they may hold down an intruder and kiss them into submission...

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
In all fairness, you can be setting yourself up for certain challenges, like breed restrictions and dog aggression. I know PI loves pit bulls, but not every one has to have one.
*not that there is anything wrong with fixing misconceptions

ChairmanMeow fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 10, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I was in the same boat you were as far as being worried about adopting an 18 month old dog that looked to be at least part pit bull. Even though the vet records said "boxer / greyhound" it seemed pretty obvious that Sophie was mostly American Pit Bull Terrier. The foster said she was great around her other dogs, and she seemed so sweet that we decided to adopt her anyway.

We're so glad we did. She's really smart, incredibly affectionate, and we love her to death. We made the mistake of having her meet our parents' dogs (130lb Great Dane and a 12 year old border collie) the day after we got her, and that was a huge mistake. It was way too stressful and we should never have done it. After a walk together with the other dogs she calmed down considerably, and afterward she was able to mingle with them. Later that evening we had a problem with her resource guarding me. The other dog would get close, and she would immediately impose herself between me and the dog and start to growl. After a second or so she would snap at them. It was an easy behavior to correct; every time she snapped I would say "Sucks to be you!" in a happy voice and put her outside. Since I was the resource she was guarding taking me away was the best punishment. After a few corrections she stopped doing it.

We're still worried about her behavior, but every other time she's been around another dog it's been positive. She ignores them on walks, and has been very playful with our neighbor's puppy. Trips to Petco and the vet have been similarly benign; she'll bark and wag her tail, but there's no evidence of aggression. She also has never displayed even a hint of aggression towards humans; you can take whatever is in her mouth and she won't so much as whimper. She'll give you the most pathetic look imaginable, but that's about it.

So that's our experience with Sophie. We've only had her for a week and we're already in love.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

I guess I am not wording this correctly. I just don't think a pit bull is the right dog for me, I feel on edge around them and I think the dog would pick up on that pretty quickly making it hard to bond.

I recently watched a friends dog and it was a pit bull terrier mix. Took awhile for it to warm up to me and was very skittish until it did. Once it warmed up to me however it was pretty protective which is why I used that word before. A friend came by for a visit and the dog sat at my feet growling at my friend until they left the room. When they came back it growled again. I plan on having my nephew (infant) around this dog. That's not the type of behavior I want inherent in the dog I adopt.

Yes, the spaniels and setters I have had are very energetic and cannot sit still. They are constantly running after squirrels/rabbits/birds but they eventually grow out of it around 5-7 years old and only have little bursts of playtime. That's not really my concern with a pit, in fact, I want an active dog.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Well you can't be sure the dog is or isn't a pit, so why not go see it and see how it is with you before discounting it because of its looks? One dog doesn't represent a whole breed, and absolutely doesn't represent a mix that may or may not be part of that breed.
If, at the end of the day, the dog doesn't feel like a good match for you, that's all that need be said.

Also a huge percentage of dogs in shelters are pit or pit mixes... so avoiding anything even pit like is a bit tough.

Abbeh fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 10, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

schreibs posted:

I guess I am not wording this correctly. I just don't think a pit bull is the right dog for me, I feel on edge around them and I think the dog would pick up on that pretty quickly making it hard to bond.

I recently watched a friends dog and it was a pit bull terrier mix. Took awhile for it to warm up to me and was very skittish until it did. Once it warmed up to me however it was pretty protective which is why I used that word before. A friend came by for a visit and the dog sat at my feet growling at my friend until they left the room. When they came back it growled again. I plan on having my nephew (infant) around this dog. That's not the type of behavior I want inherent in the dog I adopt.

As Abbeh said, if the dog isn't a good match then don't get it. I just wanted to share my own experience with a pit mix. I think it's in your best interest to meet the dog and get a sense of what he/she is like before ruling them out. If being near the dog makes you uncomfortable then you should certainly avoid that dog.

Incidentally APBTs were actually bred to not be aggressive towards people. My understanding is that a pit bull that sits on the ground and growls at other people would be unusual and should probably be checked out.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

spitsaliva posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but here goes:

A very close friend of mine will be beginning her veterinary training sometime next month at the University of Queensland, in Australia.

I know a few of you guys in PI are vets, veterinary students, or whatever, so do you have any gift ideas? Something you wished someone had bought for you before you started your journey to vet-dom. A book perhaps? A stethoscope? I have no idea.

She'll be flying off, so this item would hopefully be something that doesn't cost more to bring on a plane--overweight charges and whatnot--than it is worth.

Everyone loves a laser engraved cardio iii. Especially the badass all black one because then the animals know you bring the pain, or at least that's what I like to think.

Otherwise, some of my classmates have lab coats with their names embroidered on it that are pretty slick that most of them got as gifts. Ones like this. Just remember that if you get a unisex one, they run loving enormous. I'm an average weight, 5'8" person and the small in unisex is debatedly too large for me except that then the arms get too short. It is very :( because I look like more of a dork then I usually do. Plain white is the safest color. Most of us have the longer length version to protect from goo better. If you embroider, don't put Dr./DVM on it because she isn't one yet and she'd have to store it for until she has her diploma.

I hope that helps!

Enelrahc fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 11, 2011

Susan Calvin
Oct 20, 2008

But how does that make you feel?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Incidentally APBTs were actually bred to not be aggressive towards people. My understanding is that a pit bull that sits on the ground and growls at other people would be unusual and should probably be checked out.

This.

Also it sounds like the dog might have been resource guarding you, OP, and I like in Beer4TheBeerGod's story. But get the dog you want, not the one we want for you.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

ChairmanMeow posted:

I have this but the ball is in tracks on the side.
http://www.amazon.com/Bergan-Turbo-Scratcher-Colors-Vary/dp/B000IYSAIW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1293573550&sr=8-6
My cats have played with it almost daily for 5 years.

Hey, I just wanted to let you know that this toy was a HUGE hit with my friends' cats! They all sat on it, swatted the ball, and chased each other away from it. I also got a catnip-stuffed banana that they all carried around and licked, and I was over there for a couple of hours and by the time I left the entire banana was soaking wet and disgusting and had taken on a terrible brown tint.

Thanks for the great suggestions I also got them the furry mice and they liked those as well. But the ball thing was a great success.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm so glad!

spitsaliva
Mar 10, 2006

Enelrahc posted:

Everyone loves a laser engraved cardio iii. Especially the badass all black one because then the animals know you bring the pain, or at least that's what I like to think.

Otherwise, some of my classmates have lab coats with their names embroidered on it that are pretty slick that most of them got as gifts. Ones like this. Just remember that if you get a unisex one, they run loving enormous. I'm an average weight, 5'8" person and the small in unisex is debatedly too large for me except that then the arms get too short. It is very :( because I look like more of a dork then I usually do. Plain white is the safest color. Most of us have the longer length version to protect from goo better. If you embroider, don't put Dr./DVM on it because she isn't one yet and she'd have to store it for until she has her diploma.

I hope that helps!

Thanks! My doctor friend also recommended a cardio iii, though I am not sure if I can get the stealth all black version in stores around here.

However, do you think the length of the cardio iii too short for large animals. I have been asking around and sojeone told me that that may be the case.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

spitsaliva posted:

Thanks! My doctor friend also recommended a cardio iii, though I am not sure if I can get the stealth all black version in stores around here.

However, do you think the length of the cardio iii too short for large animals. I have been asking around and sojeone told me that that may be the case.

Mine is a 27" and it's fine for me so far for the horses. I don't find I miss the extra 5". I may someday change my mind and if so, I'll have the shorter as a spare I suppose! I think the master classic II comes in the 32", and a lot of people really like that one as well, and it's cheaper.

I honestly just got the black because I wanted to be able to tell it apart easier from everyone else's. And it does look cool!

spitsaliva
Mar 10, 2006

Enelrahc posted:

Mine is a 27" and it's fine for me so far for the horses. I don't find I miss the extra 5". I may someday change my mind and if so, I'll have the shorter as a spare I suppose! I think the master classic II comes in the 32", and a lot of people really like that one as well, and it's cheaper.

I honestly just got the black because I wanted to be able to tell it apart easier from everyone else's. And it does look cool!

Yup, that's it... I'll get her the cardiology iii. I know a guy who will sell it to me at cost. Probably get it engraved as well if time permits.
Thanks. You've been a tremendous help.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Are puppy pads acceptable for elderly dogs who just can't hold it as long anymore? My dog back home is 14 and my mom says she's not been as reliable as she once was at not peeing inside while mom's at work or overnight.

She's been to the vet, he says it's not a medical thing, just an old dog thing.

We also can't hire a dog walker or neighbor to let her out because in her old age she has gotten quite grumpy with new people in "her" house and has even snapped at them. She's the absolute sweetest thing at the vet or on walks, though, go figure. :(

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

drat Bananas posted:

Are puppy pads acceptable for elderly dogs who just can't hold it as long anymore? My dog back home is 14 and my mom says she's not been as reliable as she once was at not peeing inside while mom's at work or overnight.

She's been to the vet, he says it's not a medical thing, just an old dog thing.

We also can't hire a dog walker or neighbor to let her out because in her old age she has gotten quite grumpy with new people in "her" house and has even snapped at them. She's the absolute sweetest thing at the vet or on walks, though, go figure. :(

I don't see why not. If she's going to be peeing in the house regardless since she physically can't hold it then it becomes a cleanliness issue and for the most part an acceptable solution.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
My mom just told me she took her pomeranian to the vet (after two days of posting on facebook "my dog is coughing should I take her to the vet?" DUH YES.

Anyway she said the dog has "wet lungs" and it is a type of pneumonia. Of course she didn't get any other information about it. What is wet lung and what does it mean as far as symptoms, medication etc? What causes it?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Rupert is a cat, about 2 years old. I just got back from a trip so I don't know how long this has been going on, but at least since the 10th when my roommate returned.

Rupert is constantly leaking drool out of one small piece of his mouth. He licks at it a lot, too, presumably to tidy up the drool. I've looked in his mouth and nothing is obviously inflamed or cut to my untrained eye. His food is dry kibble and he's eating just fine, and he's himself in terms of behavior. Any ideas? Is it time to call the vet? :sigh:

I posted the above in the general questions thread too.

eta: I felt some kind of little lump under his jaw on the side where he's drooling, so I called the vet and we're going tomorrow morning. Here's hoping it's just a cyst...

FRAZZLED JOHNSON posted:

Every few weeks my cat will throw up a massive hairball (and whatever else he has in him at the moment), is anti-furball cat food any good?

Is it safe for him to lick the hair on my head? He seems to do it to show affection but I avoided it once the hairballs started, didn't help.

You can get meaty flavored laxatives to put on his paws which will help the hair pass through his digestive system. Hairball control food is a gimmick; feed him high quality whatever (take a look at the Pet Nutrition Megathread if you haven't already) and use the laxative. I think it is called Petromalt. You can also just give him a tablespoon of crisco every week or every other week, maybe mixed with some wet food :ssh:

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 14, 2011

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I think it is called Petromalt. You can also just give him a tablespoon of crisco every week or every other week, maybe mixed with some wet food :ssh:

Vaseline works too, and some cats apparently really like it and will eat it without having to have it mixed in. :iiam:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
We have a beagle whos about 7 years old and has been diagnosed with Cushings, for which he has been on daily medication for the past couple months. About 2 days ago he fell ill and he has barely eaten since. The vet says its his liver and it may be a tumor, in which case we would have to have him put down. But at the moment he just refuses to eat and is very weak. He had a small piece of chicken last night and a little water today, nothing else. Is there anything we can do to increase his appetite? We've tried feeding him everything, especially his favorites. Or at the very least, get him to drink more water? I don't want him starving to death before he has a chance to get better, if at all.

EDIT - Looks like he was hypoglycemic. I gave him two teaspoons of maple syrup last night and he immediately seemed better. He ate a couple bits of chicken. This morning I gave him another teaspoon and hes much much better, eating some of his regular food, drinking water, and going outside to pee/poop. He's alert and mobile. Not back to normal but at least hes eating :unsmith:

Super Waffle fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 14, 2011

Condiment
Oct 10, 2004
I WILL DESTROY THE OPPRESSIVE "TIPPING" SYSTEM BY BECOMING AN INSUFFERABLE TIGHTWAD
What's the best kind of wood to give my dog to chew on? (a lab, ~3mos old) He really enjoys chewing on wood, so rather than have him ruin all my furniture I'd like to give him some good wood of his own.

My pal said dogwood was the best, but i think he may have been kidding around...

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Condiment posted:

My pal said dogwood was the best, but i think he may have been kidding around...

Some people like to give their dogs morning wood.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Condiment posted:

What's the best kind of wood to give my dog to chew on? (a lab, ~3mos old) He really enjoys chewing on wood, so rather than have him ruin all my furniture I'd like to give him some good wood of his own.

Can't tell if this is a fake post but I am answering anyway.

Your dog is eating your furniture because he is bored and a puppy. Redirect his chewing to good chewing toys and reward him for chewing on those instead. He'll get the idea. Wood is unsafe for dogs, it can splinter and cause some problems if he's actually chewing it up.

This Post Sucks
Dec 27, 2004

It Gave Me Splinters!
I'm looking in to getting Kuranda beds for my great dane pups (http://kuranda.com/). Does anyone have any experience with them?

Dexter, the older on, is notorious for tearing up his cloth beds, so I'm wanting to get him something a bit more durable, but I want to make sure it's comfortable for them too.

I guess here's an obligatory picture of them too. This was me and my wife attempting to take a Christmas card picture with them:

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!

Kerfuffle posted:

Can't tell if this is a fake post but I am answering anyway.

Your dog is eating your furniture because he is bored and a puppy. Redirect his chewing to good chewing toys and reward him for chewing on those instead. He'll get the idea. Wood is unsafe for dogs, it can splinter and cause some problems if he's actually chewing it up.

To add to this, dogs can also injure their teeth by chewing on wood. I've seen a dog with a broken canine because she chewed the hell out of a log.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
So my dog teddy got cut or something when he went to get his hair cut today. However, we can't for the life of us put the cone of shame on his head. What's the easiest way to put it on? He's a light sleeper so when we tried to put it on then, he freaked out. Is there any tips or tricks we can do?

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.

i like tacos posted:

So my dog teddy got cut or something when he went to get his hair cut today. However, we can't for the life of us put the cone of shame on his head. What's the easiest way to put it on? He's a light sleeper so when we tried to put it on then, he freaked out. Is there any tips or tricks we can do?

Try making him love the cone. This will be easier if he's clicker trained but still totally possible if not. Just give him a treat every time he is near the cone, then every time he looks at or interacts with the cone, then lure him nearer to it, then treat him for it being near him, etc until you are luring him into the cone with treats. Take it VERY slowly so as not to freak him out again, and use whatever you need to as a treat. Little bits of string cheese and hot dog pieces tend to be a favorite. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
The invert thread is kind of dead so I figured I might ask this here: I am working on keeping my G. portentosa colony in check and I was wondering if I put all of the males in their own tank will they murder each other? If not, how many could I keep in say, a ten gallon tank? I don't mind if they are noisy, I just don't want them to destroy each other!

EDIT: Answer found! (They won't kill each other)

Olive Bar fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 16, 2011