Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neris posted:

All this Berlin stuff is super useful thank you! I'm going over in March.

What are some good areas in Berlin to just kind of wander around in during the daytime?
Like someone mentioned earlier, the East Side gallery is amazing

And its free. There is a metro station like a block away so you just need to hop off and walk a bit.

You also shouldnt pass up the museum "island" there which has like 5-6 awesome museums all next door to each other. If you dont go see the Pergamon you are making a huge mistake. The German history museum is a great place to check out as well.

Besides that you also have the Reichstag and the Brandenburg Gate to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hankor
May 7, 2009

The feast is not the most important meal of the day.
Breakfast is!

Neris posted:

All this Berlin stuff is super useful thank you! I'm going over in March.

What are some good areas in Berlin to just kind of wander around in during the daytime?

Beware: I live in friedrichshain, therefore I'm extremely biased in regards of what classifies as "cool" and besides clubs have virtually no idea what the night live in west berlin is like!

Depends on what you want to see really.

Friedrichshain, Kreuzberg and Prenzlauer Berg are your classic urban districts with lot's of cafes and small boutiques run by special little snowflakes. While there are hundreds of small parks in berlin, the Volkspark Friedrichshain (located in Friedrichshain) is one of the biggest and liveliest. In the early evening you'll find many groups of 15-30 year olds drinking, grilling and making music there.

Volkspark Friedrichshain in the spring: 1

Kreuzberg: 1 2

Prenzlauer Berg: 1 2

Friedrichshain: 1 2)
A clothing store associated with the extreme right tried to open up, this was the reaction (backed by the city officials)

If you like to window shop, Kurfürstendamm could interest you it's a huge shopping strip with everything from "underground" hip hop clothing shops to berlins version of Harod's (the Kaufhaus des Westens). You'll also find the Gedächtniskirche there.

The lNikolaiviertel is also pretty good for window shopping, the old architecture (looks like 18th-19th century, naturally is much younger) gives an interesting feel for what the city looked like in the old days.

If you want to see most of the interesting landmarks of the city you should have a stroll from Alexanderplatz along the "Unter den Linden" ( it's a street) towards the Siegessäule. Along the way you'll pass berlins most renowned hotel (Adlon), several museums, churches, town hall, the Reichstag, the Fernsehturm(that's where you start), the Brandenburg Gate and other nice stuff. In the end you'll find yourself in the Tiergarten (berlin's biggest park). The whole thing shouldn't take longer than 90min (insert joke about German efficiency here).

Route

You could also try "Gärten der Welt" in Mahrzahn a massive park with different themes and a buddhist temple, the problem with that is that it's pretty much in the middle of nowhere and when I say nowhere I mean a poo poo hole of unemployment and teenage pregnancy. Don't get me wrong, it's not dangerous to go there but the people that live in the vicinity are not a pleasant sight.
1 2 3 4

e: Now with more links and no table breaking whatsoever.

Btw. When you are here don´t even think about renting a car, our public transport (despite it´s problems) is hands down the best in the country.

vvvv I´ll back the Oranienburger Straße, Hackescher Markt, Eberswalder, the Savigny Platz and especially the Museumsinsel.

hankor fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 11, 2011

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Some other random Berlin areas to check out for a tourist:

1. Oranienburger strasse is a pretty decent place to wander around and find a couple of cool bars or shops - it's considered a little touristy, but there's a good number of interesting little places. Tacheles is an interesting place to stop by for a drink - it's completely covered in graffiti, with some artists shops in the building, and a few different bars. Very berlinish.

2. If you're there on a Sunday, absolutely check out one of the many flea markets in the city, and find a good brunch place afterwards. Brunch on Sundays in berlin usually consists of ridiculously nice buffets. For a first time, I'd go to Mauerpark on a Sunday and either find a random restaurant serving brunch (it's in Prenzlauer Berg, so there's millions of places) or check out a place just across from the Mauerpark called kauf dich glücklich (rough translation: buy yourself happiness).

Allia
Oct 6, 2010
I second wandering down Unter den Linden from Alexander Platz. I do it quite frequently from the Humboldt University to Alex and for me it's about a 15-20 min walk. You'll pass the Museum Island on the way, which is worth wandering around. There are a lot of tourists who wander around the HU, too. As a student, though, I will say that it may be worth it to stick your head into the foyer but that the rest of the building isn't that great.

What's also cool is walking around the back streets and Hackescher Markt. There are tons of smaller stores tucked away. There's also Friedrichstraße, but while in one direction there's high-end shopping, I never found it that brilliant. The other direction (from UdL -- Friedrichstraße crosses it) will lead you to the S-Bahn, and past it towards the Natural History museum (worth a look). Also, if the weather is somewhat decent, you could always walk on one of the paths down by the Spree.

Tourists always seem to want to go to Potsdamer Platz, but there's really nothing there. I tend to get lost easily and have probably wandered every single street in the area, trying to find either a certain bus stop or get to Unter den Linden over the years, and except for somehow finding myself at the debated Memorial mentioned on the previous page, there's nothing really worth seeing.

I also second giving Kreuzberg a chance. There are a lot of great, cheap ethnic restaurants there. I usually get off at Gneisenau Strasse, because that's where my favorite sushi place is, but if you wander around there, there's a ton of places to eat and just window shop at.

Also, I like the area of Eberswalder Straße. There's the Kulturbrauerei, ethnic restaurants, smaller shops, etc. Not exactly a tourist kind of place, but that's partly why I like it.

Savigny Platz in the West is pretty nice, Wilhelmsdorfer Straße too. Used to live around there, all in all a great area. I lived in the Kiez, which was pretty much right across from Schloss Charlottenburg. Nice castle, worth a look, usually some exhibition there. There's a small park across from it. Behind the park are a lot of huge apartment buildings (one where I used to live), but there are also a lot of tiny shops mixed in.

I've lived in both the west and east of Berlin and I have to say that while the west is nice to live in, for wandering about, I'd stay within the middle of the Berlin, maybe head to Savigny Platz/Wilhelmsdorfer Str./Schloss Charlottenburg once, but otherwise don't go past Tiergarten. Unless you want to go to the Zoo, but even then I'd probably recommend the Tierpark. Oh, and Kurfürstendamm and the Gedächtniskirche is worth a look too. But for mindless wandering, the East lends itself better.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Cool thanks very much! Me and Neris are staying in Friedrichshain even so this should be perfect.
I've not been to Berlin in a few years so am really looking forward to it.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008
What is the general consensus on international cell phone renting? I am traveling to France and Italy for two weeks in February and I feel like a cell phone would be a good idea. Maybe this is just me being tied to technology all of the time.

I will have internet where I am staying, and that will allow me to send texts via Google Voice and calls via Skype, but I figure while I am traveling or when I don't have wifi, it would be helpful to have a cellphone to make changes to my plans if necessary.

I am open to any suggestions on company or necessity of renting a cell phone.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Who knows stuff about Paris?

My old lady and I are planning on heading there via train from England for 2 nights. It's not a long trip but it'll work for us. We're coming in theoretically Sunday and leaving on Tuesday. I know this may cause some problems because a lot of poo poo is closed on those days.

We're coming in to Nord which from what I've gathered on the map isn't close to any of the touristy stuff. We can take the Metro from the train station but I'm not entirely sure where to look for a place.

edit: this is during the second week in april.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
The best thing about Berlin is that it's one of those cities where you really don't need a plan at all. When I was there I did the Museum Island, Brandenburg Gate, Reichstag, Cathedral, the Wall, etc, in the first days I was there. Then I spent the next week just bumming around and enjoying not having a plan. This meant I woke up around 10am and ate some breakfast and chatted with people at my hostel, then headed over to Kaisers to buy some cheap beer, then to the train station to look at the map of Berlin and basically point my finger somewhere and just go.

Modern Pragmatist posted:

What is the general consensus on international cell phone renting? I am traveling to France and Italy for two weeks in February and I feel like a cell phone would be a good idea. Maybe this is just me being tied to technology all of the time.

Honestly I'm going to suggest against a cell phone. You're on vacation buddy, enjoy it. But if you really must, I've never heard of renting phones. When you get to France you can just buy a cheap phone with preloaded minutes on it (they work the same as here, 20€ = 20€ of calling at 8 cents a minute or whatever) and then do it again in Italy.

ChadBroChill17
Sep 6, 2007
Plato, Heidegger, Aristotle, LOL
I'm in the process of booking a trip to Europe for this summer (Early-mid June). It will be my second time to the continent (First trip was Belgium, NL, France).

I've drawn up a cursory itenirary and just want some input on my choice of cities, as well as how long I should expect this route to take. I'm not not huge on museums and the like, so I don't feel like I need 3 days in each city, but I also do not want to be rushed.

1. Groningen, Netherlands (Must go here to meet up with old college roommate. Imagine this means I will be flying into Amsterdam and probably staying there for at least one night).
2. Berlin, Germany
3. Dresden, Germany
4. Prague, Czech Republic
5. Salzburg, Austria
6. Venice, Italy
7. Florence, Italy
8. Zurich, Switzerland

I will be travelling with one other person, and plan on purchasing a Eurail pass.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ChadBroChill17 posted:

1. Groningen, Netherlands (Must go here to meet up with old college roommate. Imagine this means I will be flying into Amsterdam and probably staying there for at least one night).
2. Berlin, Germany
3. Dresden, Germany
5. Salzburg, Austria
6. Venice, Italy
7. Florence, Italy
8. Zurich, Switzerland

I will be travelling with one other person, and plan on purchasing a Eurail pass.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
How much time do you have total and why do you feel like you need to visit Zurich?

FWIW i flew into and out of zurich for my trip because it was the cheapest flights I could find and was pretty central to the area I wanted to see. However, it was by far the most boring place id been on my whole trip and everything in switzerland is so expensive its unbelievable. I would definitely never go back there.

hankor
May 7, 2009

Breakfast is!

ChadBroChill17 posted:

2. Berlin, Germany
3. Dresden, Germany
5. Salzburg, Austria
6. Venice, Italy
7. Florence, Italy
8. Zurich, Switzerland

While your plan reads quite nice you should consider that you´ll spend considerable time on boring train rides and if you spend only short time at each city it can be a serious drain on your morale. Your individual travel times are all less than half a day but with the amount of different citys you want to visit, you´re looking at roughly 3 days of sitting in a train.

Like Limastock pointed out Zürich is not really that exciting, especially when you have Vienna, Austria right around the corner (and unlike their swiss brethren they have the Euro). You could see if you can find a plane back from Rome rather than Zürich.

ChadBroChill17
Sep 6, 2007

Limastock posted:

How much time do you have total and why do you feel like you need to visit Zurich?

FWIW i flew into and out of zurich for my trip because it was the cheapest flights I could find and was pretty central to the area I wanted to see. However, it was by far the most boring place id been on my whole trip and everything in switzerland is so expensive its unbelievable. I would definitely never go back there.

I just wanted to visit Switzerland. Would Bern or Geneva be more fun/less-expensive or should I just permanently axe it from the trip?

I'm looking at around 3 weeks. Basically whatever it takes to fit all of this in within at a reasonable pace. I can extend the trip slightly if need be.

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

If you're not huge on museums 'and the like', what would you like to do? If you like clubbing I'd spend more days in Berlin and less in Dresden. If you like cycling around I'd spend more days in Amsterdam and less in Salzburg. You're not giving us a lot to work with here.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

ChadBroChill17 posted:

I just wanted to visit Switzerland. Would Bern or Geneva be more fun/less-expensive or should I just permanently axe it from the trip?

I'm looking at around 3 weeks. Basically whatever it takes to fit all of this in within at a reasonable pace. I can extend the trip slightly if need be.

It's expensive but it's your holiday so do whatever you want! With your itinerary, I would stop in Locarno and spend some time on the Lago Maggiore, it's really an incredibly beautiful area. Then spend a day or two in Lucerne and a day or two in Zurich.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo

ChadBroChill17 posted:

2. Berlin, Germany
3. Dresden, Germany
5. Salzburg, Austria
6. Venice, Italy
7. Florence, Italy
8. Zurich, Switzerland

What about replacing Zurich with Rome? I haven't been to Switzerland but Rome is an amazing city. You could then easily fly out of Rome at the conclusion of your trip.

ChadBroChill17
Sep 6, 2007

Sai posted:

If you're not huge on museums 'and the like', what would you like to do? If you like clubbing I'd spend more days in Berlin and less in Dresden. If you like cycling around I'd spend more days in Amsterdam and less in Salzburg. You're not giving us a lot to work with here.

I enjoy art and architecture, I just meant that I will not be spending 5 hour a day looking over every piece of art in each museum. I spent a week wandering around Paris, but never once set foot in the Louvre.

My previous trip to Europe involved a lot of random sightseeing. I enjoy drinking/clubbing which is why Berlin is on the list. I also enjoy food. Anything outdoors will almost always take precedence over indoor attractions.

My main concern is whether or not this schedule is manageable in ~3 weeks without feeling overly rushed. My other is whether or not I'm including unnecessary stops, or foregoing places that I really ought to see.

I am liking the suggestion to substitute Zurich with Rome. Thanks goons!

Allia
Oct 6, 2010
Dresden is a nice city, but I really only suggest spending a day there. Heck, it's possible to stay in Berlin and just go to Dresden for the day -- I've done that several times.

The interesting part of Dresden takes only a couple of hours to walk through. Obviously things like museums and galleries will add time, but if you're more interested in wandering around, give yourself a day there, hit a few interesting exhibits, spend time in the castle gardens, walking along the Elbe, etc. I admit that I don't know much about the nightlife in Dresden, but I still wouldn't suggest going to Dresden for much longer (stay the night if you have to, in order to see the nightlife), stay in Berlin or continue on somewhere else after that.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ChadBroChill17 posted:

I dont know man, if you really are interested in switzerland then go for it. I personally just thought there wasnt much at all to do in zurich. Everything seemed to be closed at night and in the day there are some places to go shopping but you wont want to because everything is twice as much as youd pay in the US. The francs are pretty close to USD but everything is like double. A cup of coffee at a cafe will run you about 8 francs for example. I dont know, the whole city just felt so sterile to me. It was like being in a really boring city from the future. Especially after coming from Berlin and Prague.

Personally I think 3 weeks is enough to do most of the cities on your trip but then again I did Zurich, Munich, Prague, Berlin, Amsterdam, Paris and back to Zurich in 2 weeks and I took trains everywhere. People will tell you its too many cities and to an extent theyre right however I had a ton of fun scrambling from one city to the next and the only thing I regret is not having more time in prague and berlin.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

ChadBroChill17 posted:

If you want to do a lot of cool outdoors stuff then you should go to Interlaken, Switzerland. You can do everything from hiking to skydiving. I went parasailing and skydiving there.

hankor
May 7, 2009

Breakfast is!

ChadBroChill17 posted:

I enjoy art and architecture, I just meant that I will not be spending 5 hour a day looking over every piece of art in each museum. I spent a week wandering around Paris, but never once set foot in the Louvre.

My previous trip to Europe involved a lot of random sightseeing. I enjoy drinking/clubbing which is why Berlin is on the list. I also enjoy food. Anything outdoors will almost always take precedence over indoor attractions.

My main concern is whether or not this schedule is manageable in ~3 weeks without feeling overly rushed. My other is whether or not I'm including unnecessary stops, or foregoing places that I really ought to see.

I am liking the suggestion to substitute Zurich with Rome. Thanks goons!

First of shame on you for passing the chance to see the Louvre, imagine that whenever you read something from me, it´s written with utter contempt for you , your son, your son´s son etc.

Could you specify what you mean with liking art and architecture if you don´t like museums? From the feeling I get, you want a city that´s got a history and a busy nightlife. In that case you want to add Rome, Vienna, Bratislava, Frankfurt, London and Monaco (expensive!) to your list while skipping everything but Berlin and Prague. If you like to look at pretty buildings in the day and get smashed while dancing the night away that should be your focus.

If you however have any interest in the countries you´re visiting, your list is fine for the most part. Most cities have a daypass to the major museums, so you could potentially rush through them without having to look at a 2000 year old coin for 5 minutes just to fill the day. The cities on your list all have sufficient nighttime activities to warrant at least a short stay so you shouldn´t worry about that.

You´ll not really get a feeling for what the different countries are really like with a schedule that busy, but you can get a good impression for the general feel and have a good time.

Switzerland is a whole new beast on it´s own however. While it´s technically a unique conglomerate of italian, french and german culture you can´t really experience that if you don´t have a grasp about what those countries are about and how they clash in switzerland. The main attraction of switzerland are the alps (you´ll find the same clocks in bavaria and the cheese and chocolate you know as "swiss made" are most likely from all over europe), if you however are into climbing you´ll have a great time, but don´t expect much of a nightlife with the locals.

I´ve only been to Athens, Greece once and dind´t really enjoy it that much, but if you find a greek goon willing to help with the nightlife you might want to consider that too, it´s the cradle of democracy after all.

hankor fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 13, 2011

ChadBroChill17
Sep 6, 2007

Omits-Bagels posted:

If you want to do a lot of cool outdoors stuff then you should go to Interlaken, Switzerland. You can do everything from hiking to skydiving. I went parasailing and skydiving there.

Yeah my girlfriend actually suggested that to me this afternoon. She went there during a trip this summer and did canyoning and skydiving. I'm too much of a pussy to skydive but canyoning seems cool!

hankor posted:

Could you specify what you mean with liking art and architecture if you don´t like museums? From the feeling I get, you want a city that´s got a history and a busy nightlife. In that case you want to add Rome, Vienna, Bratislava, Frankfurt, London and Monaco (expensive!) to your list while skipping everything but Berlin and Prague. If you like to look at pretty buildings in the day and get smashed while dancing the night away that should be your focus.

I appreciate the way that the different culture/art/architecture combine to create a completely foreign environment for me to explore. I thought Paris was absolutely beautiful. It wouldn't have been the same without all of the buildings, statues, and monuments. It's difficult for me, however, to get excited about looking at one individual piece of art, especially if it's just sitting in a museum.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

ChadBroChill17 posted:

I appreciate the way that the different culture/art/architecture combine to create a completely foreign environment for me to explore. I thought Paris was absolutely beautiful. It wouldn't have been the same without all of the buildings, statues, and monuments. It's difficult for me, however, to get excited about looking at one individual piece of art, especially if it's just sitting in a museum.

For this, you actually have a pretty good itinerary. All the cities you mention have a pretty unique feel to them. On top of that, there's not really many in your list outside of perhaps Berlin that absolutely demand more than a few days. Venice, Dresden and Salzburg honestly don't have much more than a couple of days worth of stuff to see. Florence is only worth an extended trip if you're an art buff. Prague is fun, but you can spend a couple days without really feeling like you've missed a ton.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ChadBroChill17 posted:

I don't know why you would skip Vienna then. It's basically all fancy buildings / palaces and statues and monuments.

Private Snowball
Jul 22, 2007

Ride the Snide
Have some questions about London. I'm going there for a wedding and will be staying January 31-February 5. I really only have from February 1-3 to myself though because of family and wedding stuff.

1.) Is an Oyster card only good for one day? Do I pay for it before hand or does it charge me later based on how much I used it? Is there a better alternative?

2.) I want to visit the National Gallery, Tate Modern, House of Parliament, Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, and Tower Bridge to get all the big tourist places out of the way before I come back for the 2012 Olympics. Can I do this in three days time?

3.) I want to watch some football matches and I've found three. February 1st is Arsenal-Everton and QPR-Portsmouth. I can't go to both obviously so I was wondering if its worth the trouble of paying more to watch Arsenal pass the ball around or go see the QPR-Portsmouth match for 30 pounds. Also I assume I can get the QPR ticket the day of. Could I get an Arsenal ticket on match day?

The other match is February 2 and is Fulham-Newcastle. I always wanted to go to Craven Cottage, but I was wondering if this match will be a sell out and I should get a ticket ahead of time? Are there scalpers? Do they charge a lot?

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Private Snowball posted:

Have some questions about London. I'm going there for a wedding and will be staying January 31-February 5. I really only have from February 1-3 to myself though because of family and wedding stuff.

1.) Is an Oyster card only good for one day? Do I pay for it before hand or does it charge me later based on how much I used it? Is there a better alternative?

2.) I want to visit the National Gallery, Tate Modern, House of Parliament, Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, and Tower Bridge to get all the big tourist places out of the way before I come back for the 2012 Olympics. Can I do this in three days time?

3.) I want to watch some football matches and I've found three. February 1st is Arsenal-Everton and QPR-Portsmouth. I can't go to both obviously so I was wondering if its worth the trouble of paying more to watch Arsenal pass the ball around or go see the QPR-Portsmouth match for 30 pounds. Also I assume I can get the QPR ticket the day of. Could I get an Arsenal ticket on match day?

The other match is February 2 and is Fulham-Newcastle. I always wanted to go to Craven Cottage, but I was wondering if this match will be a sell out and I should get a ticket ahead of time? Are there scalpers? Do they charge a lot?

1.the oyster card is good forever. it is what locals use. You put money on it at the station/grocery stores and money is deducted out of your account when you pass through the turnstiles.

2. you can see all those things in 3 days. no problem. You could probably see it all in one day if you really wanted.

3. don't know anything about football.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Private Snowball posted:

This is anecdotal evidence but... the Arsenal match will be sold out like crazy. Everybody wants to see them all the time so scalpers' prices will be high. I don't know anything about QPR, but Craven Cottage is a place I've wanted to go for a while now. It seems like a really cool old stadium with lots of character, the kind of place that's not going to be around forever.

I've bought tickets from scalpers at Anfield (they were only playing Blackburn) and it was pretty easy. I'm sure there will be people around CC with tickets, but no idea how much you'll have to pay for them. I got mine about an hour before kick off and I paid almost 150% of face value because I'm poo poo at haggling and I just wanted to get in the ground. If you wait until closer to KO you'll have much more bargaining power.

Try posting in this thread during or after the Fulham match today (1500 GMT) or this thread any other time and you should catch our Fulham supporters (I think there are about 3 who live in the area).

Private Snowball
Jul 22, 2007

Ride the Snide
Thanks for the help guys.

greazeball posted:

Try posting in this thread during or after the Fulham match today (1500 GMT) or this thread any other time and you should catch our Fulham supporters (I think there are about 3 who live in the area).

Yeah I was going to ask there, but thought I could get all three answered here. Guess I'll head over there now.

Comlink
Nov 21, 2006

Oh yes, yes, yes.... that's BANG on the money!
fwiw, i think you'd be ok for qpr tickets, but they're top of the league at the moment, so it's advisable to get there early if you want to buy on the day.

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...
So i am thinking of checking out Amsterdam, Barcelona and Ibiza next october for a honeymoon. Is Amsterdam still a good place to go for people that love weed? I have heard people say they are cracking down on tourism smokers an stuff like that but i never know who to believe. Thoughts? Is october a decent time to come check these places out? I dont have much a choice on the time of year so i hope it is.

Any exciting things to do in ibiza or barcelona? Would you suggest going somewhere else over those two? The fiance is a culinary chef so finding great food places is a must!

I am going to start back at the beginning and read through this thread, i just wanted to get this out there right now so i have a chance to get some opinions tonight while i work the graveyard shift.

Thanks guys/gals!

hankor
May 7, 2009

Breakfast is!

bonzaisushi posted:

Any exciting things to do in ibiza or barcelona? Would you suggest going somewhere else over those two? The fiance is a culinary chef so finding great food places is a must!

Ibiza in october might or might not be a good idea depending on what you´re looking for, since it´s the off season a lot off places are closed up, while this does mean you´re not bothered by drunken tourists it also means there is not a whole lot to do (which might be a good thing since you´re on a honeymoon).

If you like to stay by yourselves and check out small villages with local cuisine you should think about Sicily or the Provence (southern france) , there are some beautiful serene landscapes which would lend themselves to a pretty romantic time. As Sicily and the Provence don´t cater to the kind of tourists that are usually associated with Ibiza they´re not exactly much more lively but they don´t go into hibernation like Ibiza does.

The greek islands in the Aegean Sea are another thing that springs to mind, there are hundreds of little fishing villages with adorable old greek grandmothers that will serve you whatever was caught that day by the local fishermen. It could be an expensive option though, as you´d have to hire a captain if you´re not an experienced sailor (the sea can get pretty rough in ocotber) so watch out for that and seasickness.

hankor fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 16, 2011

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

I have to ask, why Ibiza?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

bonzaisushi posted:

So i am thinking of checking out Amsterdam, Barcelona and Ibiza next october for a honeymoon. Is Amsterdam still a good place to go for people that love weed? I have heard people say they are cracking down on tourism smokers an stuff like that but i never know who to believe. Thoughts? Is october a decent time to come check these places out? I dont have much a choice on the time of year so i hope it is.

I spent a week in Amsterdam last June and it was as weedy as we expected. If the things haven't changed drastically since then, you will have dozens of coffee shops to chose from and the weed is cheap, varied and good.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

bonzaisushi posted:

There are plans to change the system so coffee shops can only sell to locals who are members of their club, but nobody will be able to give you an accurate assessment of when these measures will be implemented. It could be July, but it could also very well be January. It could also be any time in between or never happen.

My advice if you want to come to Holland for the drugs? Do it sooner rather than later, because our retarded governments are going back on drugs legalisation even faster than a tourist running from the station to nearest shop.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bonzaisushi posted:

Is Amsterdam still a good place to go for people that love weed?

I was just there a few weeks ago and my wife and I both did shrooms and smoked weed. The weed was incredible and by far the best stuff I ever smoked. It was about 9 euro for a gram of hydro iirc.

As for the shrooms, they sell them in these places call smart shops which have a little mushroom as a sign. However, all of the locals will tell you mushrooms are illegal? I didnt really understand but a few dutch people I met and hung out with explained it something like the old mushrooms are grand fathered in but they are illegal to make now or something I dont know.

My advice is, if you are going across the world just to smoke some weed you are making a huge mistake. Amsterdam is a beautiful city and has plenty to offer besides just getting stoned in your hostel.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

I was told on a tour that mushrooms are illegal but truffles aren't, or something like that. It's all on a technicality.

I'm not a huge fan of smoking, but Amsterdam is kind of ironic in that it's iconic as a place for smoking weed but is in practice likely one of the absolutely worst places to be high. Wouldn't be surprised if a few stoned tourists a day get taken out by bikes.

It's also an awesome, awesome city and I wish I could've spent more than a few days there.

HeroOfTheRevolution fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 16, 2011

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Amsterdam is kind of ironic in that it's iconic as a place for smoking weed but is in practice likely one of the absolutely worst places to be high.
You are so right about this. Our first night there we literally wandered the streets lost for about 2 hours in the middle of the night after leaving a coffee shop. It was like 24 degrees out and we eventually had to give up and get in a taxi. God drat city is designed like a half circle and there are like no land marks to speak of. At first I was like "oh theres the bridge we passed earlier" then I realized the city was nothing but bridges. Then i got sad and confused

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

I was told on a tour that mushrooms are illegal but truffles aren't, or something like that. It's all on a technicality.

IIRC dried mushrooms are illegal, the rest isn't.

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...
Oh i assure you i am not going across the world just to smoke weed. I even told the fiancée that i can smoke plenty of great weed just where i am at now so its not much of a difference to me. Its just an added bonus. I am more interested in awesome history/architecture/art/culture.

I had ibiza in there cause it was a package the fiancee was looking at but i spent all night reading this thread and doing some research and i will take the advice of people on here and avoid it this time of year.

The SO keeps flipping on what she wants, one second its a Mediterranean cruse that hits Italy, Greece, turkey and Egypt then a few minutes later she wants to go to fiji or bora bora.

While a tropical island is cool its still a tropical island. I want to see rome and pyramids and stuff like that.

What a pain in the rear end.

Any one gone on a good Mediterranean cruise? could you recommend a solid cruise line there seem to be about 4-5 different ones. Or would you recommend flying to 3 or destinations and spending 3-4 days at each one?

Planning a trip to Europe is hard lol, so many cool things to do and see, if i lived there i feel like i would ALWAYS have poo poo to do on the weekend.

thanks for your help and opinions, cheers!

edit: Ohhh and another question, any big events/festivals going on in europe late October early nov?

bonzaisushi fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 16, 2011

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

greazeball posted:

This is anecdotal evidence but... the Arsenal match will be sold out like crazy. Everybody wants to see them all the time so scalpers' prices will be high. I don't know anything about QPR, but Craven Cottage is a place I've wanted to go for a while now. It seems like a really cool old stadium with lots of character, the kind of place that's not going to be around forever.

I've bought tickets from scalpers at Anfield (they were only playing Blackburn) and it was pretty easy. I'm sure there will be people around CC with tickets, but no idea how much you'll have to pay for them. I got mine about an hour before kick off and I paid almost 150% of face value because I'm poo poo at haggling and I just wanted to get in the ground. If you wait until closer to KO you'll have much more bargaining power.

I think you probably have all the info you need but it is worth giving Fulham a call to see how tickets are selling, and definitely keep an eye on the official website, too. If you can, try and sit in the Hammersmith End (best atmosphere) or the Johnny Haynes (good atmosphere too and it is the oldest stand in the world that's still in use IIRC).

There are generally a about 1,000 seats left for the average game i'd say but Newcastle has a big following so I would try and book relatively soon. I should be at that game so maybe see you there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

jeoh-kun posted:

IIRC dried mushrooms are illegal, the rest isn't.

Law changed, now only truffles are legal (they contain the same active ingredient so whatever).