Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Can-Am dealer here has demo days pretty regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Z3n posted:

I'd love to ride a Can-Am. Apparently they're loads of fun to drift and do awesome burnouts but suck elsewhere, making for the perfect vehicles to test ride and not own. :v:

If it's anything like the T-rex it drives like a death-trap at speeds above 40mph.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

nsaP posted:

It's leaning the wrong way!

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Today I had the pleasure of riding Geoff Arrons 2010 EnduroX bike, a Christini KTM 300.

What a fun bike, man does it ever rip. Super light throttle spring took a little getting used too. I even took some video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo16Duvy5R4

I purposefully botch one of the hardest lines on the hill climb to see what she can really do, and man does that sucker work.

Coming back down to the parking lot was a little iffy, the front kept wanting to slide out in all the turns. Later in the day I find out the owner has about a million PSI in the front tire because thats the way it came in the crate, will have to do it again when it properly set up.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Z3n posted:

I'd love to ride a Can-Am. Apparently they're loads of fun to drift and do awesome burnouts but suck elsewhere, making for the perfect vehicles to test ride and not own. :v:

Can't really drift them because the ESP comes down out on tail-out action like a hammer, but yes, nice burnouts.

They're pure shite though. Pointless machines.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Guy's dad dies, leaves him an old bmw. He restores it and posts a video on reddit. Thought it was pretty nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdBptlmu7kA
http://www.reddit.com/r/reddit.com/comments/f39mj/dad_died_left_me_58_bmw_watch_what_i_did/

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

2ndclasscitizen posted:

They're pure shite though. Pointless machines.

"Engineering wonder recession motorcycle wonder drag race stability electronically controlled aerodynamic"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMyxT8u1lrw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBY-vRwsnAk

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Endless Mike posted:

The Can-Am dealer here has demo days pretty regularly.

Huh, color me surprised, I've never been able to get on a motorcycle in a dealer(riding my own in, what the hell? It was a used bike they were selling...) and heard they were the same way here. I might look into it to give one a go.

Not telling my parents though, hah.

Edit: http://www.middletowncycle.com Eh, this is the place that has them and beside their event calendar being empty the website doesn't speak to class. I doubt they have ride days, maybe legit dealers. I found out there's one a lot closer to home too, but I'm holding that one close to the chest as well.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 16, 2011

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If I ever get physically incapable of riding bikes, I'll just get a Miata.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
This seems like a good time to trot this out again:

Renowned motorcycle and hack safety expert David Hough made this post on a different board:

quote:

Dyed-in-the-wool motorcyclists who have never expanded their knowledge beyond two wheels often approach the idea of a three-wheeler as if it would take all the fun out of riding. That may be because so many equate fun with aggressive cornering--with the bike leaned over to adrenaline-pumping traction limits. A big part of the reality is that most of the time, even on a bike, we're riding more-or-less straight roads.

More to the point, there are things in life that are "fun" other than leaning around corners. IMHO, drifting a rig or trike around a corner is just as much fun, expecially if the vehicle gives me more confidence to poke at the envelope without unreasonable risks. Hacking or triking may be more "fun" than if I were riding aggressively but constantly concerned about punching through the narrower limits and having to deal with the huge aftermath of a little error. I took up sidecars years ago, well before my body began to announce that it wasn't going to put up with the same old stuff anymore. So, I've enjoyed the fun of hacking not because I was forced to give up bikes, but because hacks are tremendously enjoyable. I still own and ride a two wheeler in addition to the sidecar rig and Spyder.

It's not quite that simple, of course. Those of us who are pushing up into our old age are finding our leg strength, sense of balance, vision, etc. are less reliable. We know the odds all too well, and we've seen too many hazards to have continuing confidence that we can beat the odds again today on a bike. Maybe we've had a nasty crash or two, and were shocked at the pain and expense. Those who just continue riding the same bike, say a K12LT or R1200RS, may find it easier and easier to find excuses to NOT take the ride today.

A sidecar outfit or trike adds a huge measure of confidence that we can beat the odds, not just of having a collision, but of not dropping the bike in the parking lot in front of our friends, or being passed because we're seen as being too cautious. One of the great advantages of belonging to the BMW fraternaty is that BMW riders tend to have the maturity to understand that trikes and rigs are a legitimate part of motorcycling, even if anyone chooses to not get into a three-wheeler. I don't look down my nose at riders who simply give up motorcycling when the odds seem too high, or the fun seems too low. I do look down my nose at people who run down any type of vehicle without knowing anything about them.

Yes, a three-wheeler takes more skill to drive than a bike, and a sidecar rig takes even more skill because it's not symmetrical. Imagine all the knowledge and skill you absorbed to learn how to ride a two-wheeler proficiently, and double that for a three-wheeler.

I don't see that as a negative. I see it as a positive that I have skills and knowledge in addition to that required for two wheelers.

Of all the folks I've talked to that have tried a sidecar rig for more than an hour end up getting one. Then their solo bikes sit dejected in the garage for most of the season.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
He makes good points yes, but then goes on to back up what I said.

quote:

A sidecar outfit or trike adds a huge measure of confidence that we can beat the odds, not just of having a collision, but of not dropping the bike in the parking lot in front of our friends, or being passed because we're seen as being too cautious. One of the great advantages of belonging to the BMW fraternaty is that BMW riders tend to have the maturity to understand that trikes and rigs are a legitimate part of motorcycling, even if anyone chooses to not get into a three-wheeler. I don't look down my nose at riders who simply give up motorcycling when the odds seem too high, or the fun seems too low. I do look down my nose at people who run down any type of vehicle without knowing anything about them.

What's even worse is that as a bike rider he should know better. In a collision I don't know how you're any safer on a trike than a motorcycle. If you drop it in the lot, well, sorry your balance is going with your age. If you're being passed by cars and you're on a motorcycle you're doing it wrong.

The last half is just /BMW BMW BMW We're true riders, we don't look down our nose at people, except when we do./

For reference what I first said was:

nsaP posted:

Personally I don't think people should ride 'em unless they're disabled or something. My mom wants one because she doesn't want to learn to ride a bike, but that is the exact person you wouldn't want on a 3 wheeler. There's the same amount of danger, and arguably more room for mistake with it's hosed up steering dynamics, all with none of the respect that should come with it.

Someone who can't be bothered to learn to ride a bike hopping on a 3 wheeler just sounds like an accident to me. I heard they're pretty slow, at least.

Of course that wouldn't really apply to someone making a 2->3 wheel transition, but then the guy went on to say he feels like the three wheeler is less risky and that seems wrong to me.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 16, 2011

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

nsaP posted:

He makes good points yes, but then goes on to back up what I said.

What's even worse is that as a bike rider he should know better. In a collision I don't know how you're any safer on a trike than a motorcycle. If you drop it in the lot, well, sorry your balance is going with your age. If you're being passed by cars and you're on a motorcycle you're doing it wrong.

The last half is just /BMW BMW BMW We're true riders, we don't look down our nose at people, except when we do./

For reference what I first said was:

Of course that wouldn't really apply to someone making a 2->3 wheel transition, but then the guy went on to say he feels like the three wheeler is less risky and that seems wrong to me.

I think reduced collision chances are due to the increased visibility of a sidecar rig. Less right-of-way violations because it's wider. However there are no studies I am aware of that show this, since three wheels are such a tiny part of the riding population.

His point about sidecars being less risky when you push them is a little slip from reduced traction usually ends with a solo bike sliding down the road, but a three wheeler slides and continues on.

Stepping back a bit, I've found explaining three wheelers to solo motorcyclists is a bit like explaining motorcycling to non-motorcyclists. A vast majority of the time, they just don't "get it" until they try. Then it's all smiles and happiness.

Three wheels may not be everyone's thing, but they have a bad rap from folks who just dismiss them for a variety of reasons. Hough's rebuttal to that is well thought out.

If folks would like to continue talking about this, come on over to the three wheel megathread.

Content:

Skier fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 17, 2011

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

nsaP posted:

Huh, color me surprised, I've never been able to get on a motorcycle in a dealer(riding my own in, what the hell? It was a used bike they were selling...) and heard they were the same way here. I might look into it to give one a go.
As far as I can tell, it's just the Japanese dealers that don't do test rides. Even Ducati seems to have demo days pretty regularly - even if it's the same dealer as the Japanese bikes. I know BMW is pretty willing to let people test out their bikes, as well.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I've ridden every modern Ducati they make on account of them letting you ride anything. It's great. BMW also let me take an S1000RR out for 3 full hours and a whole tank of gas.

It's just the japaneese that have a huge test drive stick up their rear end.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I test rode a Multistrada 1200 about 2 or 3 months after they came out. Just walked into Seattle Ducati with Spiff and they handed over the keys. :v:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

I test rode a Multistrada 1200 about 2 or 3 months after they came out. Just walked into Seattle Ducati with Spiff and they handed over the keys.remote key fob :v:

The local Aprilia dealer will also let you jaunt around. Husqvarna and KTM don't have any problems in my experience. Even Husaberg let you have a go. The Triumph dealer is a wee bit more stingy, but has no problem if you are interested.

The local Suzuki dealer was hesitant to let me try anything unless as they put it I was 99% ready to buy, even after I'd already bought two bikes from them.

blue vein steel
Feb 5, 2004

i am the video word made flesh

Endless Mike posted:

As far as I can tell, it's just the Japanese dealers that don't do test rides. Even Ducati seems to have demo days pretty regularly - even if it's the same dealer as the Japanese bikes. I know BMW is pretty willing to let people test out their bikes, as well.

i tested a new Thruxton and Bonneville with just a drivers licence (and no intention of buying, having just bought a used Speed Four). So yeah, I think it may just come down to the dealer.

blue vein steel fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 17, 2011

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Endless Mike posted:

Hah, well yeah I never went to try a Duc or BMW so that'd be why I guess, only a Yamaha and Multi-dealer.

To Skier, I don't think anyone outright dismissed the Can-Am except for maybe the one guy who said "pointless machines". On the contrary.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I am outright dismissing them. Garbage. Although being that I'm in Australia, and they are freaking expensive here, might make my opinion worse.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Pretty Cool Name posted:

Guy's dad dies, leaves him an old bmw. He restores it and posts a video on reddit. Thought it was pretty nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdBptlmu7kA
http://www.reddit.com/r/reddit.com/comments/f39mj/dad_died_left_me_58_bmw_watch_what_i_did/

same model as mine. guy even retrofitted a better looking solo seat. god bless that guy.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If Rossi ever gets into rally racing, I hope his car looks just as tacky.

For huge: http://www.motoblog.it/galleria/big/valentino-rossi-e-nicky-hayden-sul-laghetto-di-madonna-di-campiglio/1

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

nsaP posted:

I heard they're pretty slow, at least.

Ridden one, albiet just in a parking lot but it's pretty gutsy. Honda of Tulsa let's you do test rides on Can-Am's and KTM's if they have demo's in for the KTM's, normally a 990 ADV. Anyhow, the can-am can flat get it in a straight line, it's got some rotax 990 or 800 or hell I dunno some poo poo in it that will roast the tires if you want it too.

Funny story I was talking to the guy that had a demo model out that worked at Honda of Tulsa and was letting me ride it, he's on these forums. Anyhow he tells me about all this electronic ESP don't flip over stuff so I figure it probably also has traction control. Nope. I wanted to see what kind of guts it had after a run around the parking lot and got it in a straight line and just hammered it. Haha, scorched the tires for about 20 feet or so. Whoops.

As for test rides, eh really the bikes that are all "YES, RIDE THIS" are the ones who aren't banging in the sales. The Jap bikes are like "yeah it's gonna sell whether you ride it or not". Also think about how much more traffice a Jap bike shop gets vs. a Ducati or BMW dealership. I mean if they were tossing out test rides like BMW has been with the S1000 they would have wadded poo poo up there all the time. BMW, Ducati, Triumph, and KTM among others do not have near the traffic that the Jap dealers have. Jap dealers have spodes going in there all the time "MAN CHECK OUT THIS SWEET GIXXER YEAAHHHHH WHOOOOOO I CAN TEST RIDE IT FUUCK YEAH!!" but honestly the afore dealerships don't really draw that crowd.

I think BMW's openness towards test riding the S1000 is pretty Genius. I mean brand new bike first time out you want to get the word out. So you toss all your dealerships a demo just for test rides, you can't sell it until it has 2400 miles worth of test rides on it. This gets the word out, people probably more knowledgeable than your average Jap bike squid are going to want to ride it, when they ride it they are going to talk about it to their friends probably also motorcyclists. It gets the word out. Also I haven't really met anyone that hasn't tossed a leg over the S1000 demo for a test ride that hasn't been all :eek: WHAOOAOAOAOAAOO about it.

Also, now I'm going to have to check into Ducati and see how many of those they'll let me ride because I wanna ride them all. Well cept for that dumb rear end cruiser they came out with recently.

Anyhow, I'm rambling. Content: Desmo test ride. lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Cruiser boots, and I don't know which is older, the leathers or the helmet? Good job putting the guy that doesn't know what the gently caress he's doing on Ducati's most expensive bike :lol:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
So maybe it isn't just Stoner then... :D

Can-am nub http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2y6bCkvVTQ

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
I'm a huge fan of Red/White/Blue on a motorcycle. I'm also a huge fan of old GSX-R's. So when they come together, you think it'd be magical, right?

Right.

I saw this in the picture thread at the gixxer forums. Definitely one of my all time favorite paint designs on a motorcycle.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Slim Pickens posted:

Cruiser boots, and I don't know which is older, the leathers or the helmet? Good job putting the guy that doesn't know what the gently caress he's doing on Ducati's most expensive bike :lol:

I can't find anything about it online... and I JUST threw out the magazine this was from.

I forget who it was... but the man wearing those leathers is awesome. The leathers are old because that's back when he was winning titles son. Bite your tongue. :clint:

EDIT: Aha! Found it. Cook Neilson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cook_Neilson

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 17, 2011

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Another youthful indiscretion

MrZig posted:

I'm a huge fan of Red/White/Blue on a motorcycle. I'm also a huge fan of old GSX-R's. So when they come together, you think it'd be magical, right?

Right.

I saw this in the picture thread at the gixxer forums. Definitely one of my all time favorite paint designs on a motorcycle.

Man, that really is the cat's pajamas. I've had such a hardon for late 80s/early 90s bike design lately. :sigh:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Spiffness posted:

I can't find anything about it online... and I JUST threw out the magazine this was from.

I forget who it was... but the man wearing those leathers is awesome. The leathers are old because that's back when he was winning titles son. Bite your tongue. :clint:

I remember reading that and the caption was like "this is the only man who can get away with this."

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Gnaghi posted:

I remember reading that and the caption was like "this is the only man who can get away with this."

Spot on

"Cook Neilson
1977 Daytona Superbike winner, former Cycle magazine editor and one of the few men who could get away with crashing a Desmosedici RR"

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/122_0902_ducati_desmosedici_rr_vs_1098r/index.html for the whole thing

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My dad gave me that issue a while back, too. Totally forgot about that picture.

I still think it's fair to judge by his getup that he hasn't done a lot of racing recently.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 17, 2011

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Edit: D'oh. Didn't realise it was same page. What a goof.

MrZig fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 17, 2011

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
^^^ Same page brosef.

Spiffness posted:

Ah thanks for the clear up. I also read somewhere online about a guy's first track day and his buddy let him ride his desmo and he wadded it. Anyone else hear about that one??

Content...

edit: Hahaha motherfucker thumb hit the post button. 2 sec content coming.

I think we discussed this a bit in this thread earlier but can't remember. Anyhow remember this hottie?

Linked to the actual GSXR site she posts on either here or possibly on 600RR.net she was told/asked/warned to wear gear. She still wouldn't and it was her own choice. Which it totally is, I used to be a gear nazi and will still tell people to wear gear but if they don't want to wear it, they don't have to. She didn't...

The following pictures got road rash, blood, and skin in them so linking and labeling not work safe. Just so you're aware.
:nws:
http://hosting.okiegoon.com/silver/gixxergirlcrash1.jpg
http://hosting.okiegoon.com/silver/gixxergirlcrash2.jpg
http://hosting.okiegoon.com/silver/gixxergirlcrash3.jpg
:nws:

Oof. :(

Silver fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 17, 2011

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
It's almost as if she somehow lost control over her bike and wrecked. I can't imagine what would have caused that.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Wow, you start to feel bad then you just never get there.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Motorcycling is the kind of thing where the precautions really do matter. There are some activities where if you don't wear the safety gear, it might not ever bite you in the rear end, but if you ride long enough, you will go down at some point, and you will wish you were wearing everything and the kitchen sink at that time.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

The spice must flow? :confused:

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

Z3n posted:

The spice must flow? :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dum_spiro_spero

Dum spiro spero means "While I breathe, I hope"[1] in Latin and is generally attributed to Cicero.[2]

I think anyway. I dunno.

Content...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

So has someone photoshopped road rash onto her formerly nice legs?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

This site has a sound clip of a "1600 Yamaha V-twin with Cobra Classic Slashcut Exhaust" that I'm pretty sure was recorded in binaural. It's pretty good with headphones on.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~rwbaxter/The%20V-Twin.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Motorcycling is the kind of thing where the precautions really do matter. There are some activities where if you don't wear the safety gear, it might not ever bite you in the rear end, but if you ride long enough, you will go down at some point, and you will wish you were wearing everything and the kitchen sink at that time.

The only reason I still have a face is because my dad got on my case and bought me the most ludicrously overpriced shoei helmet he could find (on the theory that the money somehow translates to quality of protection, which I don't think is true) to replace my brain bucket, and it got used in my first 6 months. You couldn't get me out of a full face now for love or money. I wear it in the shower, in case I slip on soap.