Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Danger Mahoney posted:

What is the most convenient way to use a wireless Xbox 360 controller with the console and a PC (with the wireless adapter) in the same room? It seems like it could only be paired with one at a time, and pressing the Xbox button on the controller turns the console on in any case.

Anyone manage to set something like this up?

I haven't done it in the same room, but no matter what you need to sync the controller to whatever device you're using first. If it's synced with the PC it shouldn't turn on the 360 (if it did my roommate would have been really mad at me for turning his 360 on all the time)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn
Can anyone recommend me a really thin skull cap to wear under a bike helmet? I've been eschewing helmets in favor of beanies because it's been too cold this winter to ride without one, but I got hit by a car today and I need to be wearing a helmet.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

Liface posted:

Can anyone recommend me a really thin skull cap to wear under a bike helmet? I've been eschewing helmets in favor of beanies because it's been too cold this winter to ride without one, but I got hit by a car today and I need to be wearing a helmet.

I wear this under my motocross helmet this time of year and it's warm and comfortable. I imagine it would work under a bike helmet just as well.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
There's a guy at work that swears by the fact that Jackie O "totally jerked off" JFK after he was dead "to feel it one last time". He is telling everyone this without a hint of irony or self-awareness. Is he secretly right?

Whack
Feb 14, 2008

John Q Russia posted:

There's a guy at work that swears by the fact that Jackie O "totally jerked off" JFK after he was dead "to feel it one last time". He is telling everyone this without a hint of irony or self-awareness. Is he secretly right?

What in the gently caress is this?!?!

aude omnia
Nov 14, 2004

Can some German speaker tell me if they have any idea where this caption came from? Is it a German proverb or is this someone's line?
http://kartenshop42.tradoria.de/p/47275062/inkognito-himmlischer-bauch-humor-postkarte-aus-der-inkognito-edition

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:

PlasticPaddy posted:

What in the gently caress is this?!?!

Haha, I know. It was really weird and funny but he was 100% convinced that he had read some sordid account of what happened to JFK shortly after death. We were playing Black Ops at work (which features JFK as some kind of CIA stooge or something) and it got us talking about how graphic his murder really was. So this dude John stop us all and tells us about "the most moving thing" he ever read in regard to the Kennedy assassination: that Jackie Onassis yearned for the feel of his penis one last time, and did so by reaching beneath the sheet which concealed him on his gurney. Mind you this is being told by someone who's pretty sharp and intelligent, so I was sitting there waiting for him to reveal how he was just punking us with his JFK handjob story but over the next minute we all realized he was serious.

I think he knows now that he was wrong but it was really LOL at the time.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

IIRC, sometimes corpses get an erection after death.
WP: Death erection refers specifically to hanged men, but a head shot may cause similar cranial pressures.
It's not necessarily that she couldn't have, but you'd think she would have asked for the room first.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Dead Alice posted:

IIRC, sometimes corpses get an erection after death.
WP: Death erection refers specifically to hanged men, but a head shot may cause similar cranial pressures.
It's not necessarily that she couldn't have, but you'd think she would have asked for the room first.

Wouldn't all the blood loss and opened circulatory system cause BP everywhere to plummet?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

kimbo305 posted:

Wouldn't all the blood loss and opened circulatory system cause BP everywhere to plummet?

I'd expect so. Just saying that it is a thing and is not outside the realm of possibility.

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

aude omnia posted:

Can some German speaker tell me if they have any idea where this caption came from? Is it a German proverb or is this someone's line?
http://kartenshop42.tradoria.de/p/47275062/inkognito-himmlischer-bauch-humor-postkarte-aus-der-inkognito-edition

According to this article, it's an Arabic proverb:
http://www.abendblatt.de/region/stormarn/article823694/Eine-Frau-ohne-Bauch-ist-wie-ein-Himmel-ohne-Sterne.html

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I remember there was something you could type in your address bar when you're on your Facebook login page where it will reveal your password. Anyone know what I am talking about?

Daemus
Jun 20, 2008

Not entirely undoglike

Breath Ray posted:

Interesting. Is Winamp better than iTunes or did you just already have it installed? I have a lot of :filez: music and I don't know if the shuffle will accept it tbh

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Welp. Well in case you come back, I've used Winamp since forever. It feels a lot less bloated than iTunes, so I found it more convenient to transfer files with. Plus I could affect things like minimum song length etc. iTunes could probably do that as well, but it wasn't immediately apparent to me how to adjust things like that.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
If you were standing in one state, and shot and killed a person across the border in another state, who would have jurisdiction over the crime? What about different countries?

CHOICE COD
Mar 11, 2007
Sometimes I'll eat money. Just to do it. Just to see how it feels. It feels good, it feels powerful.

Dead Alice posted:

I'd expect so. Just saying that it is a thing and is not outside the realm of possibility.

Where did this "A THING" phrase come from?

alariens421
Dec 17, 2009
edit: oops

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

CHOICE COD posted:

Where did this "A THING" phrase come from?

People's inability to think of an appropriate noun, thus substituting "thing" which is a nebulous noun that everyone can accept as providing context if not detail.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
A place is keeping me from signing up, and it may be because I am behind a proxy (through my ISP) How do I find out if I am behind a proxy?

Whack
Feb 14, 2008

John Q Russia posted:

Haha, I know. It was really weird and funny but he was 100% convinced that he had read some sordid account of what happened to JFK shortly after death. We were playing Black Ops at work (which features JFK as some kind of CIA stooge or something) and it got us talking about how graphic his murder really was. So this dude John stop us all and tells us about "the most moving thing" he ever read in regard to the Kennedy assassination: that Jackie Onassis yearned for the feel of his penis one last time, and did so by reaching beneath the sheet which concealed him on his gurney. Mind you this is being told by someone who's pretty sharp and intelligent, so I was sitting there waiting for him to reveal how he was just punking us with his JFK handjob story but over the next minute we all realized he was serious.

I think he knows now that he was wrong but it was really LOL at the time.

"Wait wait! Before you take my dead husband away,let me give his cock one last squeeze. I need this"

I mean,I guess it's possible,but I can't imagine Jackie Onassis doing that. Fondling a dead person's genitalia is a thoroughly disgusting and bizarre thing to do. Even if the deceased was a spouse.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

kapalama posted:

A place is keeping me from signing up, and it may be because I am behind a proxy (through my ISP) How do I find out if I am behind a proxy?

http://whatismyipaddress.com/

Should tell you if you're behind a proxy or not, but the big tell would be if your location is way off or not.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
How does one watch today's Patriots/Jets game on the internet? I don't have a TV but a girl wants to watch it with me (OOOOH A GUURL)

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
Hit or miss, but try justin.tv.

e: Looks like the direct link I posted (now deleted) has been shut down. Like I said- hit or miss.

Jeffrey Colon fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 16, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

stubblyhead posted:

If you were standing in one state, and shot and killed a person across the border in another state, who would have jurisdiction over the crime? What about different countries?

Try the legal megathread listed in the OP.

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

Cheekio posted:

How does one watch today's Patriots/Jets game on the internet? I don't have a TV but a girl wants to watch it with me (OOOOH A GUURL)
Try http://atdhe.net or http://firstrow.net

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
My video card's fan is making an annoying loud sound. It's some mid-end NVidia card with a tiny fan... I'm not a computer guy. If I just unscrew the fan and take it out will it overheat? I mean the computer has three other fans.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Liar posted:

My video card's fan is making an annoying loud sound. It's some mid-end NVidia card with a tiny fan... I'm not a computer guy. If I just unscrew the fan and take it out will it overheat? I mean the computer has three other fans.

Are you a gamer? If so: it will definitely overheat.

If you're not a gamer, it will still likely overheat. Replace it with a heatsink if you can. A fan gets louder with age because the bearings get worn or lose lubrication. You can take the fan out and replace it with a new one with fresh bearings.

SpaceTime
Jul 10, 2010

---blade runner--
oops. wrong thread!

CHOICE COD
Mar 11, 2007
Sometimes I'll eat money. Just to do it. Just to see how it feels. It feels good, it feels powerful.

gwar3k1 posted:

People's inability to think of an appropriate noun, thus substituting "thing" which is a nebulous noun that everyone can accept as providing context if not detail.

Yeah I get the meaning, but I've seen it used a few times on the forums now to specifically indicate something as real/possible and thought maybe I missed a meme or something.

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

CHOICE COD posted:

Yeah I get the meaning, but I've seen it used a few times on the forums now to specifically indicate something as real/possible and thought maybe I missed a meme or something.

I've heard it take on a similar significance in recent years. It's definitely not limited to the internet. For example:

"NEGL, I don't want to do this paper."
"NEGL? Not Even Going to Lie? Please don't let that become a thing."

FreshShoez
Oct 15, 2009

CHOICE COD posted:

It's from Futurama. I can't remember the episode, but someone is explaining something to Fry and he says "That's a THING?" or "Is that a thing?" or something to that effect.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

FreshShoez posted:

It's from Futurama.

No, it's not. It might have been on Futurama, but that saying didn't come from it.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

FreshShoez posted:

It's from Futurama. I can't remember the episode, but someone is explaining something to Fry and he says "That's a THING?" or "Is that a thing?" or something to that effect.
No it bloody isn't. I definitely remember hearing it back in the mid-90s, and it's probably older than that. I have no basis for this, but I presume it's related to the use of "something" in the sense of "You wanna make something of it?"

e: It's probably an evolution of:

Online Etymology Dictionary posted:

The thing "what's stylish or fashionable" is recorded from 1762.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 17, 2011

FreshShoez
Oct 15, 2009
Sorry... geeze... I know using the word in that context didn't "come" from it necessarily, but I thought that's why it spiked in popularity recently. Nevermind then... I'm wrong.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
Does anyone know the best way to call internationally? Specifically, to an Australian cell phone from the US? I know it seems like a silly question but I'm at the end of my rope with these scammy phone cards. 11 cents a minute turning into 18 cents a minute, dropped calls, this and that. Skype would be a good option except I don't always have good internet access. I'm not using a smartphone. I looked into different cell phone plans and they only cover calls to landlines, like Metro PCS's unlimited international calling. All I'm looking for is a fair rate without phantom charges.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Shnicker posted:

Does anyone know the best way to call internationally? Specifically, to an Australian cell phone from the US? I know it seems like a silly question but I'm at the end of my rope with these scammy phone cards. 11 cents a minute turning into 18 cents a minute, dropped calls, this and that. Skype would be a good option except I don't always have good internet access. I'm not using a smartphone. I looked into different cell phone plans and they only cover calls to landlines, like Metro PCS's unlimited international calling. All I'm looking for is a fair rate without phantom charges.

I've been calling Australia from the US for years now and there's no easy answer. Honestly the best thing is to get your person onto an old fashioned land line. If that is not at all possible then you're stuck with the phone cards. I had good luck with the plans from NobelCom. You get the best rates if you can call from a land line yourself. If you're like me and don't have access to one, you can always use a pay phone for a small extra fee by making the connection through an 800 number they provide. Be sure to check your intended pay phone, though, as they are getting hard to find and not all of them will work (as far as I can tell some of the pay phone owners will block certain 800 numbers).

Or you could always just text them. I'm on Verizon and an international text costs me about 20 cents to send.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Accounting question. If there's a better subforum/thread to post in, would appreciate being told!

If I do some work for somebody in another country (via internet), would I pay taxes on that income to my government or the client's? Or both/none/etc?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Travakian posted:

Accounting question. If there's a better subforum/thread to post in, would appreciate being told!

If I do some work for somebody in another country (via internet), would I pay taxes on that income to my government or the client's? Or both/none/etc?
AFAIK it defaults to both, but a lot of countries have tax agreements that will call it one way or the other.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
A bottle of meths (UK) ANy idea what that would be called in US English? Is it paint thinner, or rubbing alcohol?

Titan Coeus
Jul 30, 2007

check out my horn

kapalama posted:

A bottle of meths (UK) ANy idea what that would be called in US English? Is it paint thinner, or rubbing alcohol?

The name meths comes from this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylated_spirit

Rubbing alcohol is what I would ask for if I was at a store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHOICE COD
Mar 11, 2007

FreshShoez posted:

Sorry... geeze... I know using the word in that context didn't "come" from it necessarily, but I thought that's why it spiked in popularity recently. Nevermind then... I'm wrong.

Yeah, this is what I was getting at, not really the literal origin of the phrase. I've seen some people emphasize it very deliberately lately (italics, capitalization), such as in the bizarre mysteries GBS thread:

quote:

Speaking of which, I've always been partial to the Black Sea Deluge. I don't think it was necessarily as big and dramatic a thing as the original authors of the theory speculated, but still it would've been quite A Thing.

I was wondering where this was trending from. Whether right or not, "Futurama" was the type of answer that I was expecting.