Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pg2011
Feb 23, 2008

I can see clearly now
The brain is gone...

baka kaba posted:

How long's the gap? If we're talking a few milliseconds is could just be an issue with MP3 as a format, I think it's divided into frames of a fixed length and if your song ends partway through a frame it has to fill the rest with silence. I'm not sure you can get guaranteed gapless playback with MP3s anyway, so there could always be a click depending on what people are playing it back on. LAME writes some gapless info so you could try encoding with that instead, it might help some people to play it back without gaps.

If it's longer than that then disregard!

Yeah, it's just some milliseconds but it appears to be the same amount on each file. I was under the impression that Max encoded with LAME but I'll try and give another program a try. Any recommendations for Mac?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

pg2011 posted:

Yeah, it's just some milliseconds but it appears to be the same amount on each file. I was under the impression that Max encoded with LAME but I'll try and give another program a try. Any recommendations for Mac?

Might wanna try XLD.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

pg2011 posted:

Oh it's not that LAME will fix it, I think it writes a tag to the file that says 'had to add this much silence to the end' and a player that looks for that info can stop playing before the silence. You'll still get a gap with anything that doesn't support it

pg2011
Feb 23, 2008

I can see clearly now
The brain is gone...

Manky posted:

Might wanna try XLD.

Thanks to Manky and baka kaba. I encoded my wavs with XLD and for whatever reason everything plays back gaplessly in iTunes now!

Hella Paunchy
Jul 25, 2007
More fun than a stick in the eye.
Sorry if this is a dumb question or has been posted before. I have a Traynor TRM40 solid state combo amp with a blown fuse. I unscrewed every screw on it but I still cannot figure out how to get the drat thing open, so I can replace the fuse. So I guess my question is, given that this is an economy amp, is it likely that the guts are sealed up and I just have to buy a new amp? Or am I simply a moron?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That looks similar to my sister's old amp, can you give me a picture of the back of it? If there's screws on the back but you still can't open it then you may need to give it a flathead screwdriver to lever it open.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
Could anyone recommend me a non-instrument specific book on music theory? I'm starting essentially from stage 1 on guitar and keyboard; should I look into books specifically catered to those instruments, or would a general book on theory help also?

e: By "stage 1" I mean in all music, so I'm bringing almost no foreknowledge.

Sad Mammal fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 26, 2011

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sad Mammal posted:

Could anyone recommend me a non-instrument specific book on music theory? I'm starting essentially from stage 1 on guitar and keyboard; should I look into books specifically catered to those instruments, or would a general book on theory help also?

Practica Musica is a great starter book. I play only very basic keyboard, and it really walks you through the fundamentals.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I'm looking for a good guitar store around DC that'd carry tubed bass amps by Orange, Mesa Boogie, and/or Ampeg. Any suggestions?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

A small question that's been bothering me for a while is about noise suppressors, the most notable being Boss's NS-2. How well do these actually work? I asked a guy at the music shop I frequent and he didn't really seem to know about it, but kind of shrugged and said "it's probably just an aggressive noise gate," which is fair enough, but at the moment my guitar is picking up a lot of idle hum from my computer (which is where I want to play and record). If I'm just playing it's okay but generally a bother, but recording becomes a nightmare because I have the audible hum beneath a clean tone and a horrible buzz with my MT-2.

Okay, so really my question is: do things like the NS-2 actually deal with this nicely, and if not, what does? I've done as much as possible to prevent cable overlap (on the off chance of dirty power) and I have been able to set my guitar up such that it passes through a completely clean signal, but not near this computer and not within this room.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
Are there any websites that feature compositional analysis of "poppy-er" music than Bach, Mozart, et al? All I know of is http://blog.fixyourmix.com/

I'm trying to get into the theory end of music, but I'd like to reference some music I'd listen to in my free time, as well as the classical composers.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Sad Mammal posted:

Are there any websites that feature compositional analysis of "poppy-er" music than Bach, Mozart, et al? All I know of is http://blog.fixyourmix.com/

I'm trying to get into the theory end of music, but I'd like to reference some music I'd listen to in my free time, as well as the classical composers.

This isn't really maintained anymore but it'll help you out a little: http://www.merlingoth.com/clients/clicheprogressions/

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
You gotta get through some of the classical stuff before analysis of pop music even makes sense. The nice thing about classical is that theory was developed specifically to describe the era's music. Bach through Beethoven or so are pretty much textbook theory composers.

Even though scales/modes and Roman numerals are most of what you need to describe pop, there are tons and tons of classical cliches that hold over: cadential 6/4 chords, modulation to secondary keys, secondary leading tone and dominant chords, sequences.

Work out classical theory with your instrument and ears, too, it'll do wonders for recognizing them in other music, and then you'll see why people still learn classical theory.

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo
In an interview with DJ Shadow I read, he says:

quote:

FP: What I liked most was the way the beats were done on this album. Something new again. Though many people are experimenting with it, there is always something that hasnt been done.

Shadow: Yea I mean I am interested in sample culture as well. Sample culture is an extension of vinyl culture. I should say sample music really. My instrument of choice is a sampler. When I bought it it was brand new and its sort of a standart now. I have allways used instruments that are simple I`m not a technologically orientated person. I like to keep the musicmaking process very simple so its more grassroots. The technical stuff I save for the mixdown, but the actual creating process should be very simple. And I just want to be progessing with my instrument. There is no excuse to loop a four to four beat. Thats why I like on the album, and thats one of the things im proudest about, the experimentation with the timesignature. Taking 4/4 beats and putting them in a 3, 4, 5, 7. That takes a little bit more thought then just the press play. Hiphop has so much more to offer than its offering now. Whatever people call it I am just going to keep on doing it anyway.

What does he mean with "putting them in 3,4,5,7"? Does he mean the time signature? How do the melodies, chords and samples fit with that time signature? Wouldn't that sound odd and "not hip-hop" (for a lack of a better term). I mean, I can understand it for the "break" in a song, where he starts doing fancy things with the drums, but does he mean for the main rhythm?

Can anyone who likes his music (or any other stuff like what he does) point out an example of what he's talking about (like a song where he put the 4/4 beat in another time signature).

Thanks!

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

I suppose you could obtain some of his music and listen to it?

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

CalvinDooglas posted:

I suppose you could obtain some of his music and listen to it?

Pretty much this, but I would guess he means taking a sample which was originally in 4/4 time, and then putting it against a predominant rhythm which is 3/4, 5/4, or 7/4 feeling.

So basically, polyrythms with premade samples.

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo
Yeah, but I meant that I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to polyrhythms and uneven rhythms, so I would appreciate if someone could point out to me where he does such a thing (making polyrhythms 4/4 beats). To "train my ear" to recognize them, so to speak.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well since you didn't actually say when that interview was for I'm guessing you mean The Outsider, so in this video the drum work is in some multiple of 7/4 but if you listen to elements of the drums they're in 4/4, I can certainly identify what sounds like a standard floor tom repeating pattern in 4/4 that's just not directly looping - it's playing, then pausing, then after a few beats it comes back in again.

Phlogiston 4 Lyfe
May 13, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

How should I start training myself to sing and play simple rhythm guitar at the same time. I can do either alone just fine, but any time that I have to do different rhythms, everything kind of breaks down and goes to poo poo.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Phlogiston 4 Lyfe posted:

How should I start training myself to sing and play simple rhythm guitar at the same time. I can do either alone just fine, but any time that I have to do different rhythms, everything kind of breaks down and goes to poo poo.

Put the guitar down and just clap out the guitar rhythm (or slap your thigh if your sitting) and sing along. I find if I do that a few times with a part I'm having difficulty with, then go back to the guitar, it's easier.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

KaosPV posted:

Yeah, but I meant that I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to polyrhythms and uneven rhythms, so I would appreciate if someone could point out to me where he does such a thing (making polyrhythms 4/4 beats). To "train my ear" to recognize them, so to speak.

It's pretty easy to figure out when a rhythm goes out of 4/4 if you just keep counting the downbeats. If you get to a melody that doesn't line up on the same beat every measure, you're in syncopation/hemiola/polyrhythm territory.

Lumi
Apr 26, 2006
I watched the sky.
Can anyone give me a suggestion for a rhythm training app/software? I want to improve my music reading rhythmically, and I feel like an interactive way (i.e. something like it showing a rhythm and I tap it out or vice versa) would be the best way for me to catch on.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

It isn't exactly what you're asking for, but you can display tabs as musical notation in Guitar Pro, then play the track so you can kind of read along.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Lumi posted:

Can anyone give me a suggestion for a rhythm training app/software? I want to improve my music reading rhythmically, and I feel like an interactive way (i.e. something like it showing a rhythm and I tap it out or vice versa) would be the best way for me to catch on.

metronome and a sight reading/singing book. Ottman Guide to Sight Singing has TONS of rhythmic, melodic, and two part exercises. Literally years worth of practice material. People can get PhDs and not finish it. Not to sound too hardcore, but you really gotta get down in it to get any benefit. No hand-holding or training wheels, just set the metronome to 40 and start reading.

CalvinDooglas fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 3, 2011

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

What's the name of the piece of guitar or bass playing between the lines of the blues?

I woke up this morning, ~twiddle~
whiskey bottle in my hand. ~twiddle~
etc.

Is it a return? A vamp? A lick? I'm confused.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Southern Heel posted:

What's the name of the piece of guitar or bass playing between the lines of the blues?

etc.

Most people would probably call it a riff.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Southern Heel posted:

etc.

A cliche

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Call and response?

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
STRAGHT FOOL IN A GAY POOL (MUPPETS ROCK)
A riff is repeated; if it's different every time I'd call it a "fill" as part of a section of call and response as the last guy said.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

The Mystery Date posted:

A riff is repeated; if it's different every time I'd call it a "fill" as part of a section of call and response as the last guy said.

Those ~twiddle~s all look the same to me! v:v:v

But yeah, fill would be better.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Lick

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah I'd call it a lick, too.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
I'm not usually too bad at figuring out a fingerpicking pattern from tabs, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what the hell I'm supposed to do about "These Days" by Nico. I really just cannot get the fingerpicking pattern down. The pattern is more or less the same for the whole song, so even just seeing one or two bars slowed down would be great. Youtube has failed me. Any help?

Tabs here: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/n/nico/these_days_tab.htm

Song here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1N8GtDkYfQ

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Tshirt Ninja posted:

Any help?

I'd play the first four bars this way, hopefully that would give you some insight into how to play the rest.

(PA)IMPIM | (PA)IMPIM | (PA)(IA)PIM | P(IA)(PA)M

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I'd play the first four bars this way, hopefully that would give you some insight into how to play the rest.

(PA)IMPIM | (PA)IMPIM | (PA)(IA)PIM | P(IA)(PA)M

Got it, I've got the whole song now :) Thanks!

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I've been looking at some Gibson Les Paul Customs in white, but what's the difference between Arctic and Alpine White?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
I'm borrowing a friend's laptop to do some field recording with. I'm hooking it up to a mic via an external USB soundcard.

What's the best free software to record with? I just need something simple and free to record wavs or whatever, I don't need any sophisticated DAW stuff. Goldwave? Does Windows come with something I could use?

edit: would be useful if I could play audio at the same time as recording, to record overdubs.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Audacity's probably right up your street
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Popcorn posted:

edit: would be useful if I could play audio at the same time as recording, to record overdubs.

Like baka kaba says, Audacity can do this, though depending on your hardware you might need to manually sync the tracks after you record (which isn't terribly difficult).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Just installed Audacity and it's exactly what I'm looking for. Great!

Only weirdness is that when I tick the "play audio while recording" box, it just plays me white noise... but this can be remedied by sourcing the output audio through the internal soundcard, so I'm recording into the external while listening through the external. Weird.