Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

I.T Zander posted:

I can't take this poo poo, it's too much.

Can someone just tell me which one(s) to get? I loved Friends of Mineral Town but I need more now. I dunno if I can handle monsters, a bazzar, and all this extra poo poo. I don't wanna miss anything good, but I kinda want the newest one.

Will I be overwhelmed with poo poo to do? Which one do you guys think is right for me? I should add that outside the tutorial or first time doing something, I don't like mandatory poo poo. IE: "Go out and collect monsters/coins/whatever the gently caress right loving now!" *Warps character to gently caress knows* I don't like things happening too fast either. I liked Friends of Mineral Town, because you could get married whenever the gently caress, and the game progressed as you decided to do things. I don't wanna be time's bitch.

Edit: Just so you know, I don't have to settle on one, but please advise as to which one I should play first if reccomending multiples.

If you want the newest and most polished game in the series, I can't recommend RF3 enough. The game's speed depends entirely on how fast you want to go, it doesn't push you to do anything immediately, and there's enough variety to keep the game from ever becoming tedious. Quests never come with a time limit, even when it would make sense to have one, so you don't need to worry about not being able to find such and such item on time. Most holiday events come back every year so in case you're not prepared for one of them you can get another chance later. Lots of little things like that really helpo alleviate any worry so you can enjoy the game at your own pace.

The only glaring problem with it is that once you play it you probably won't be able to stomach any of the previous RF games because it will just spoil you that badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What about Frontier or Animal Parade?

Keyboard Fox
Apr 14, 2006

CALM THE HELL DOWN

I.T Zander posted:

I can't take this poo poo, it's too much.

Can someone just tell me which one(s) to get? I loved Friends of Mineral Town but I need more now. I dunno if I can handle monsters, a bazzar, and all this extra poo poo. I don't wanna miss anything good, but I kinda want the newest one.

Will I be overwhelmed with poo poo to do? Which one do you guys think is right for me? I should add that outside the tutorial or first time doing something, I don't like mandatory poo poo. IE: "Go out and collect monsters/coins/whatever the gently caress right loving now!" *Warps character to gently caress knows* I don't like things happening too fast either. I liked Friends of Mineral Town, because you could get married whenever the gently caress, and the game progressed as you decided to do things. I don't wanna be time's bitch.

Edit: Just so you know, I don't have to settle on one, but please advise as to which one I should play first if reccomending multiples.

Well, if you're looking for a nice simple one, you should check out Friends of Mineral-oh. Right.

But seriously, RF3 is good. You can spend years just dicking around with farming and/or dungeoning without having to get into quests and stuff.

I.T Zander
Aug 27, 2008

by angerbot
I'm gonna go get RF3 today. Thanks goons! Sounds perfect.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

rt4 posted:

What about Frontier or Animal Parade?

Haven't played Animal Parade yet, but Frontier wasn't bad. It was basically an improved RF1 with really nice graphics, but it suffered from a few problems. The Runey system was probably the biggest issue with the game, since it was horribly broken and extremely tedious to try to maintain it. The combat wasn't that good either, well, compared to RF3 anyways. It also starts out pretty rough since you need to talk to townspeople over weeks just to unlock all the basic tools. Still a great timesink, there's a tonne of poo poo you can do in that game if you ignore the quirks. Also it has Mist, bitch is crazy!

I.T Zander
Aug 27, 2008

by angerbot
I had to settle for Harvest Moon DS. Nobody has RF3, so I'm ordering it on Amazon once I'm tired of DS.

Now to start naming everything after Communist advocates.

Farm Name: Manor Farm

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A Harvest Moon game about organizing the peasants and terrorizing kulaks appeals to me.

Harvest Moon: Kolkhoz Music Festival

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

I.T Zander posted:

I had to settle for Harvest Moon DS. Nobody has RF3, so I'm ordering it on Amazon once I'm tired of DS.

Now to start naming everything after Communist advocates.

Farm Name: Manor Farm

The regular Harvest Moon DS or the girl version? I ask because I think people have said that the original HMDS had several bugs that were fixed in the updated version.

I.T Zander
Aug 27, 2008

by angerbot

Zenzirouj posted:

The regular Harvest Moon DS or the girl version? I ask because I think people have said that the original HMDS had several bugs that were fixed in the updated version.

Regular Harvest Moon DS. I felt like a big enough aspie asking for harvest moon DS and Pokemon Silver. I didn't need to be all "Whell. Despite having to play as a female, I'd rather have the less buggy game"

I can deal with a few glitches I suppose.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So I'm playing RF3...is it normal to not have much time to do much at all during the days? I can get maybe a request finished, update my crops and talk to people before I run out of RP and realize that I'm way behind on learning to cook, making potions, forging, getting monster buddies, selling off my stuff, building a relationship with the cute pink-haired chick, and succeeding at festivals that I suck at. And then I remember that there's a story to this thing.

:psyduck: Okay, I can't multitask for poo poo, but still! Am I doing something wrong?

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
It's not like you have a limited number of years. The game allows you to play at any pace so there's no need to try and cram everything in a single day. I for one just do as much as I can before my RP runs out in which I then call it a day. I also dedicate whole days for major things like dungeon crawling so I would only do basic things like watering, harvesting, etc on that day and the rest of the day would be focused on the dungeon.

ProfessorDandypants
Jan 1, 2006

By Carnegie's diamond-encrusted monocle!
"Fireproof Hood: 1890G
Protect your head. Don't push. Don't run. Don't talk.
Ingredients: Quality Cloth x 2, Giant's Gloves
Sell: 270G
DEF +15, MGC DEF +12
Skill Level 16"

It's been a looooong time since I've heard that song, but is this some weird reference to "Numb" by U2?

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

I.T Zander posted:

Regular Harvest Moon DS. I felt like a big enough aspie asking for harvest moon DS and Pokemon Silver. I didn't need to be all "Whell. Despite having to play as a female, I'd rather have the less buggy game"

I can deal with a few glitches I suppose.

Unless you somehow got one of the very early copies of the game (not likely if you're buying new), you should have the fixed version of HMDS. After the initial release there were a couple of reissues of the game that fixed the more glaring errors. I think there's a way to tell by checking the serial number on the box, but I can't really remember.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is there a way to get my monsters to automatically harvest for me? I'm sick of having to water and pull out all my vegetables every morning until like 10:30 AM. Also, the end of the season is coming up - good idea to stock up on crops, or not? I'm running out of room in my (extended!) refrigerator since I'm all full up on dishes, seeds, and veggies.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Is there a way to get my monsters to automatically harvest for me? I'm sick of having to water and pull out all my vegetables every morning until like 10:30 AM. Also, the end of the season is coming up - good idea to stock up on crops, or not? I'm running out of room in my (extended!) refrigerator since I'm all full up on dishes, seeds, and veggies.

I never worried about stocking up on anything that I could buy the seeds for in town. If you ever need it for some request, Formula C and planting it in one of the side areas works well enough.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Any monster will do all of your fieldwork for you (though how much they do is based on how much they like you). If you set a 10-heart monster on each of the four quadrants you can basically ignore your field until it's time to plant (they'll break all the rocks, harvest the wood, water/harvest crops/grass, and trash all the weeds).

Keep in mind that, yeah, you have access to plots for each season from the start of the game (though the winter and fall ones are kinda dangerous until you've leveled), and the shop always stocks the highest level plant you've shipped (plant OR seed, in my experience), so there's no need to stock anything.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Pollyanna posted:

So I'm playing RF3...is it normal to not have much time to do much at all during the days? I can get maybe a request finished, update my crops and talk to people before I run out of RP and realize that I'm way behind on learning to cook, making potions, forging, getting monster buddies, selling off my stuff, building a relationship with the cute pink-haired chick, and succeeding at festivals that I suck at. And then I remember that there's a story to this thing.

:psyduck: Okay, I can't multitask for poo poo, but still! Am I doing something wrong?

As another goon said there's no need to rush. I took about 2-3 months off in game just to woo all of the ladies just to get it out of the way.

On the other hand I swear that making potions/items/weapons is a lot harder to gain levels in this time around. I got to level 40 cooking in no time, but I'm still around level 10 in everything else.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Wandering Knitter posted:

As another goon said there's no need to rush. I took about 2-3 months off in game just to woo all of the ladies just to get it out of the way.

On the other hand I swear that making potions/items/weapons is a lot harder to gain levels in this time around. I got to level 40 cooking in no time, but I'm still around level 10 in everything else.

The thing to remember is that you don't lose the ingredients when you fail with all the skills besides cooking. Try stuff with 0% success if you have spare RP to burn, or aim for stuff with 10% you'll get a level practically anytime you succeed.

ZarathustraFollower fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 19, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Every time you level up almost anything, your RP grows. Very quickly, probably before you beat the first dungeon, you'll get enough RP to do whatever you want throughout the day. So no, you're not doing anything wrong, but your max RP will increase by considerable amounts by doing just about anything. I think combat and farming raise it up the most.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Thanks, guys. I can't believe it took up to marrying Raven to realize that I could have had my sheep, cows and chickens do everything for me field-wise. :downs: It was manual up until then.

I might play a bit more, maybe just to "d'aww :3:" over the pair that I created and see if I can ever achieve my dream of cooking everything possible in the game.

senae posted:

The shop always stocks the highest level plant you've shipped (plant OR seed, in my experience), so there's no need to stock anything.

This, though, I never noticed. How does it work? I've never seen anything like that happen, as far as I know it's randomized. What if I want Spinach in the middle of spring? What if I need onions for my ketchup?

Relationships discussion: I'm surprised how quickly Raven grew on me towards the end of the game. Maybe I'm just a sucker for defrosting ice queens, but somehow she and Micah make a great pair. Not to mention that they match as half-beasts! I still feel a little bad for Shara, Karina, and Pia, though... I would have had a hard time choosing between the latter two. Pia makes me laugh like a total loon, and I'd have gone with her if Micah had complemented her better. I empathized with Karina the most and liked her personality, but for some reason, it just didn't seem right putting the two together. Possibly cause whatever personality changes Micah could have inspired in her were left undone, and it woulda been really cool to see how that plays out.

I'm tempted to start a New Game+. Is there such a thing?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jan 22, 2011

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

I'm tempted to start a New Game+. Is there such a thing?

Like many good Harvest Moon games, it continues into eternity.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
How good would this game be for a young girl, of age 12. I know it's rated E and all, but at the same time the OP has some people doing profitability spreadsheets and stuff... so is it more 'E' for everyone who just loves doing farming math?

Edit: This game being Sunshine Islands or Grand Bazaar.

Edit 2: Thanks for the quick and really awesome reply!
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

1st_Panzer_Div. fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 22, 2011

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
I would definitely take Grand Bazaar over Sunshine Islands for a 12 year old. You can play either without getting into spreadsheets at all, but Sunshine Islands has a crop watering/sun system that could get very frustrating for a kid... or, hell, even an adult.

Grand Bazaar is way more beginner friendly and very easy to pick up and play, with super cute graphics to boot. The farming mechanic is limited to remembering to water your crops every day. While power gamers use spreadsheets to maximise profitability, that is by no means the only way to play the game. It's basically like using a walkthrough: not right or wrong, just 'different'. :)

Fogu has good sites for both games that explain the mechanics and content of the game in a lot of depth if you want to shop around and make sure the game you buy is appropriate. You might also check out Harvest Moon DS (has a 'cute' version where you play as a girl) and Rune Factory 3 (more RPG oriented - battle monsters and go through dungeons), the two other main DS titles. But I think Grand Bazaar is the best choice for a newbie.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Is there any idea of when Twin Villages is coming out in the US? I really enjoyed the N64 HM and I wanted to get a new version, but the Rune Factory series didn't really appeal to me from what I read about it. Also I have a perpetual fear of buying a game only to have the bigger and better version coming out in six months.

As an entirely separate question:

I found an old copy of Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town for the GBA in a box of stuff a friend gave to me and I am wondering if this was one that was any good? I've been dicking around in it on my DS a little but I have only scratched the surface.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Omnicarus posted:

I found an old copy of Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town for the GBA in a box of stuff a friend gave to me and I am wondering if this was one that was any good? I've been dicking around in it on my DS a little but I have only scratched the surface.

It's probably the best version (other than the RF's and HM64).

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

How good would this game be for a young girl, of age 12. I know it's rated E and all, but at the same time the OP has some people doing profitability spreadsheets and stuff... so is it more 'E' for everyone who just loves doing farming math?

Edit: This game being Sunshine Islands or Grand Bazaar.

Truth be told, I couldn't get into either Sunshine Islands or Grand Bazaar. Both were frustrating to micromanage, and the villagers didn't appeal to me, as they were animu without being endearingly insane.

I guess she'd go for GB, like naptalan said. SI was just poo poo. But really, if you haven't gotten her RF3, you must!

MMania
May 7, 2008
RF3 accessory advice: one of Collette's rewards is a star pendant, which increases XP gain when killing monsters. Raven eventually gives you a heart pendant, which increases the rate your skills level. Don't sell/gift these, at least until you get your accessory skill up high enough to make them yourself. Another potentially useful item is the happy ring (increases item drop rate), which you supposedly can buy from Raven after you beat the fourth dungeon boss or just craft with diamond + clover at skill 30.

You can sow 9 seeds with one button press: aim at a side middle square of a block of 9 like you're watering/hoeing/whatever and hold down B like your powering up a tool.

Sakuya will sell you crafting items (cheap cloth, giant's glove, etc) after you sell one via the shipping box. Making cash with farming or fishing and just buying these saves you hassle and cabinet space.

If you're on a request the cut scenes that let you progress through the dungeons won't trigger.

Loving this game despite all of this hidden stuff, although yeah there aren't enough hours in the day to tend your farm, do requests, give gifts to villagers, and run around the dungeons. I just stick to two or three of those in any given day, and finish off by spending my remaining RP getting crafting skills up.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

ARG I AM SO BAD AT BEANS.

My d-pad is sort of wobbly so I end up doing that dash thing a lot on accident and miss all the beans. :saddowns:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

God dammit, I've been playing RF3 for like three weeks straight. Someone help me.

More relationship stuff: Daria kicks surprising amounts of rear end. レインボー! I'm not sure about her as a wife though. Especially with the longevity issue. :(

Pia. Oh, Pia. Hilarious as hell, but for some reason, I just go with Raven instead of you. I'm so sorry. I just don't want to be relegated to eating squid for the rest of my life :cry:

Marian and Collette...is it just me or do they seem way younger than we're supposed to take them for? I seriously doubt that Collette, Pia, and Evelyn are all supposed to be the same age.

Kuruna makes me laugh at how crazy she gets about sweets 'n stuff. It's also nice to have someone I can foist all my chocolate off on when I make cakes.

Why isn't Evelyn a possible choice!? Oh yeah, Gaius.

Ultimately, I think Raven's the best. I like how she's more than the typical ice queen in that she has way more to her than just "omg I can't deal with people why can't I get my feelings across" and has a personality beyond that. It's cute. :3:

Anyway I want more! Are 1 and 2 any good as well?

Dragongem posted:

Edit: Do they ever explain why Karina is so lazy? I keep thinking I'll find out she has "rune sickness" or something and then I'll feel like a giant jerk :smith:

It's just her personality. I have a theory that experiencing how tough managing the store is when she used to help out spoiled her towards hard work, and that she's also severely unstimulated by the town - she seems to want to see new places, but has trouble putting the effort forward.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 3, 2011

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Omnicarus posted:

It's basically a non-isometric version of the PSone game, and is actually better for being portable, since you can fit it into your day a lot easier than a version you have to actively sit down to a session of on the home screen.

I said this in the iOS thread, but if Natsume ever put Harvest Moon on the iPhone, I'm in trouble.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Pollyanna posted:

Anyway I want more! Are 1 and 2 any good as well?

Given how much more streamlined the controls in 3 are, I can't imagine going back to 1 or 2. I actually replayed 2 a few weeks before 3 came out, so the old scheme was fresh in my mind when I cracked open RF3, and 3 is just so much more for and far less frustrating. I'd go crazy if I tried to play the first 2 again.

But maybe you have the stomach for it. If so, 2 things to consider: 1) combat is downright primitive compared to 3, and 2) the characters, while crazy in their own right, are not the complete nutcases of Rune Factory 3. Except for Max (his name's Max), don't forget! He'll tell you one more time: MAX.

Oh, and I went with Shara. Boring, I know. Not sure who I shall court in my next go-round - maybe Raven, who I didn't get to know all that well.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I liked RF3, but it basically felt like it had training-wheels on during the entire game compared to RF:Frontier which didn't give you any breaks at all.

McMyke
Mar 3, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
RF3 spoiled every other harvest moon game for me because items don't stack when you pick them up. it's just so nice to be able to hold more than one carrot at a time

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Items stack in Twin Villages - unless they are of different quality, but that's mostly for foraged stuff, and things you harvest will usually be the same quality. You also have a massive bag and a horse carriage you can ride around.

Still the best farming HM game.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is Twin Villages out in English? If so, how are the characters?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Pollyanna posted:

Is Twin Villages out in English? If so, how are the characters?

TBA

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

TBA

F. Guess I'll just find out myself by playing anyway, though I doubt they'll come close to the RF3 gang.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
They're all pretty normal. Think FoMT.

Except though, the whole premise is based on a whities vs asians race feud (effectively, anyways, they don't right out say it obviously) so it's kind of funny that way.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Thanks. I immediately noticed that theming, hahah. I went with the asians for my first playthrough. So far it seems a lot more simplistic than the RF series, although I've literally just gotten the use of the bottom screen. Let's hope this is as fun as RF can get!

edit: Eh, I'm bored.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Hey Pollyanna, I don't know if you've played the older Harvest Moons, but I've sung the praises of HM64 many a time. It's a much more mature game with realistic characters and less wackiness. Plus, there are a bunch of cool festivals.

Anyone who is a fan of the Harvest Moon Series should do themselves a favor and play Harvest Moon 64.

• Locked thread