Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Amstrad posted:

I'm glad now that I never bothered to use this guy's stuff. I can't stand people who have this sort of attitude about modifications.

His work is pretty freaking sweet though and it really does make the game look ten times better, it's sad to see he's essentially totally insane.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Here

Talkie Toaster is working on this. It allows you to recruit pretty much anybody, and get perks from them relevant to their skill group. Check it out.

Awesome, now all we need is a port of his tactical combat order system mod and we'll be good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

procitizen
May 9, 2010

HYUK HYUK HYUK

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Here

Talkie Toaster is working on this. It allows you to recruit pretty much anybody, and get perks from them relevant to their skill group. Check it out.

This seems like a pretty cool mod, but I think I'm missing something important, i.e. how you actually recruit people. Using the companion commands on a person just brings up a menu to attack them and that isn't what I want at all. :saddowns:

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:
Mod of the day: Methclaw, a drug-dealing Deathclaw. And it can talk.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Any opinions on XFO vs Fook? I'm going to do a second playthrough soon, figured I'd try it with a revamp installed.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Brace posted:

"M" weapons are from World of Pain, and they're just buffed up versions of regular weapons to help deal with the creatures in WoP
If you're not a pussy that is. (Or don't have 3 companions with you.)

Also, he put up a lower loot version today without the branded weapons.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
Goddamn, the WMX guy works fast: he's already got a compatibility patch up for Arenovalis' Caravan, Lever-Action and Single Shotgun retextures and has images uploaded for the Hunting Shotgun, Anti-Materiel Rifle and .44 Magnum. Wouldn't be surprised if a more comprehensive patch including the latter three is out very, very soon.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Thanks, Dickeye, A Lamer for trying out the early release. Glad the issue mostly seems to be me (apparently). :smithicide:

So I've been having a persistent and seemingly-random issue with the male armour meshes I'm making - whenever I import them to Blender, they... shift in really weird ways. I don't know what's causing this but it's the big big hangup slowing down work on them.

I'm starting to think transformations done in Nifskope or legacy transformations from copying a ninode over from another .nif are having really exaggerated effects in these meshes - but the female armour meshes just aren't doing it. I don't know what to do to prevent this happening; it's really frustrating.

especially since I'm almost ready to go with this madness.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Captain McStabbin posted:

I think rope kid made a post about using ideas from FO3 mods for features in New Vegas. Basically, they used ideas they liked, and implemented them in a much more efficient manner.

EDIT: Here's the post.
Ah, interesting. Glad they gave popular modders props.

Demerzel posted:

The guy isn't full of himself, if anything he's graceful about it. He could be a total fuckhead and say 'hey that's MY idea they STOLE IT! arrrgh' but instead he says he's flattered.
Oh definitely, he's handled it well given the fact that they actually did draw inspiration from his work. But if they hadn't, it would have been arrogant to assume that because they have weapon mods in New Vegas they MUST have gotten the idea from his FO3 mod. I didn't know whether there were other weapon mod MODs for FO3 or whether his was particularly popular or not. I also didn't know that his mod was basically exactly how they ended up implementing the system in New Vegas.

Vitriol
Mar 11, 2001

Phhhhhtttttt!
Hey, its me, the annoying backpack guy!

I've actually got something good this time, I promise! Not requiring a different mod for mine to work, not using stuff spread all over, completely rebuilt from scratch, and greatly tweaked!

This is still work in progress, but if you just want to put backpacks into the game, all over the place, with NPC's wearing appropriate looking packs at appropriate times and places, this is probably good enough for you at this point.

Gone are the endless camo variants. This new hot version comes in a few variants, but if you like black, you are in luck! Also, if you enjoy the ambience of a good Legion armor, a grungy-looking vault hiking pack, NCR Military packs and their civilian knock-offs, the awesome new leather backpacks that just got released this week, and the charming styling of the Slave Pack, complete with a worldmodel, this will tickle your fancy!

anyway, here it is,

Please have a go at it, see what is broken, if you have any ideas or input on it, please let me know - and since I haven't yet got permission from everyone involved, (not that I anticipate this being an issue yet) please keep it here on the forums.

Now I am going to bed.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Zenzirouj posted:

I also didn't know that his mod was basically exactly how they ended up implementing the system in New Vegas.
Well... sort of. How we implemented weapon mods isn't like how anyone did it because we coded mods into the a new mod form type, additional weapon form data, and better UI support. What we did do the same way as modders is stick to creating unique .nifs per mod combination. But by keeping the limit to three mods per weapon and modifying the base form instead of creating a new form per mod combination, it makes tracking/management much easier at the cost of a) total number of mods per weapon and b) mod functionality. I.e. F3 modders could potentially do more with each weapon mod because they weren't restricted to the coded mod functionality. They still have the ability to do that in F:NV if they really want to, but the integrated weapon modding covers the majority of what most modders typically create.

Again, modders deserve a ton of credit for their work, but there are differences to how we implemented things.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jan 17, 2011

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow

Horns posted:

Goddamn, the WMX guy works fast: he's already got a compatibility patch up for Arenovalis' Caravan, Lever-Action and Single Shotgun retextures and has images uploaded for the Hunting Shotgun, Anti-Materiel Rifle and .44 Magnum. Wouldn't be surprised if a more comprehensive patch including the latter three is out very, very soon.

According to the readme file, it apparently already worked natively with all weapons except for the Hunting Shotgun / .44 Magnum / Anti-Material Rifle, but this addon makes those work, and he also states that he'll be updating this for any future textures that Arenovalis puts out! However, I think that WMX needs an update, since people in the comments were saying it conflicts with the Community Compilation Bugfix, and certain weapons can't recieve certain mods yet, but I'm sure that it'll get ironed out pretty quick.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

Vitriol posted:

Hey, its me, the annoying backpack guy!

I've actually got something good this time, I promise! Not requiring a different mod for mine to work, not using stuff spread all over, completely rebuilt from scratch, and greatly tweaked!

This is still work in progress, but if you just want to put backpacks into the game, all over the place, with NPC's wearing appropriate looking packs at appropriate times and places, this is probably good enough for you at this point.

Gone are the endless camo variants. This new hot version comes in a few variants, but if you like black, you are in luck! Also, if you enjoy the ambience of a good Legion armor, a grungy-looking vault hiking pack, NCR Military packs and their civilian knock-offs, the awesome new leather backpacks that just got released this week, and the charming styling of the Slave Pack, complete with a worldmodel, this will tickle your fancy!

anyway, here it is,

Please have a go at it, see what is broken, if you have any ideas or input on it, please let me know - and since I haven't yet got permission from everyone involved, (not that I anticipate this being an issue yet) please keep it here on the forums.

Now I am going to bed.
Awesome, I was actually going to suggest you use the new leather backpack. It's probably my favorite backpack mod to date and I love that it's included. Also glad to see you ditched all the superfluous camo packs. Never did care for any of those, looked too clean.

Will post with thoughts later and if there are any problems.

EDIT: Texture paths are working fine and the packs look great! The variety in the different NCR packs in particular are really nice. My only gripe is that the leather backpack doesn't have the mattress functionality of the original, but it's no big deal. I just reinstalled Portable Campsite for its bedroll to compensate.

Horns fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jan 17, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Oh boy, oh boy, somebody released another companion mod that allows you to recruit Melissa Lewis (Khans) as a partner. She has fully lip-synced and voiced dialogue, gives you a Survivalist perk when recruited, and has a sandbox mode and full companion-wheel support. (A lot like the Marcus and Sunny Smiles companions I linked in the OP.)

The author has intended her to be partner for more of an anti-NCR / pro-Legion run, which is a nice contrast to the large number of anti-Legion default characters.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

procitizen posted:

This seems like a pretty cool mod, but I think I'm missing something important, i.e. how you actually recruit people. Using the companion commands on a person just brings up a menu to attack them and that isn't what I want at all. :saddowns:
You need to take the Companionable perk, and it should appear as a dialogue option (well, you'll get the option to befriend people, then to make them companions from the friend menu). The Command item is just for controlling existing companions.
If you notice any bugs or whatnot, please tell me- it's not exactly had much testing.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Capn Beeb posted:

:911:

Hahahaha from the thumbnail I had the impression that somebody LITERALLY modded G-MAN from Half-Life 2 as some kind of feature for New Vegas. It looks like he's coming out from the door portal and everywhere around you the time is stopped - just like the ending from Half-Life 2.

After seeing the full image I laughed for a good minute at the ridiculous awesomeness of that impression - what an alternate Wild Wasteland ending would that make :shepface:

Amstrad posted:

I'm glad now that I never bothered to use this guy's stuff. I can't stand people who have this sort of attitude about modifications.

Yeah I see where you're coming from but the problem is that his textures literally give Fallout 3 next-gen graphics (combined with lighting and weather mods). You can also see how insane amounts of work he had to put to change EVERY GODDAMN TEXTURE in this gigantic game. This guy knows his trade - those textures are professional and also work at every distance.

When I first played New Vegas I really had to get used to how bad it looked in comparison to the modded Fallout 3 mainly thanks to his textures. Now it seems from those screenshots that he outdid himself and this new pack is going to be a class better.

All of this doesn't justify his behavior that's for sure but the thing is that this mod is so essential, it improves the graphics so much that I have no choice but wait for his release while drooling over those images.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

There's no question that the sort of devotion and time it would take to do those textures would drive you slightly crazy.

Plus, it's entirely possible he's not Internet Experienced, and thus has 0 points in troll resistance, or any idea at all that associating with people on the fallout mod nexus messageboard is probably not healthy for him.

Even worse if he's got some sort of idea in his head about using this as part of his professional resume, and he's taking any insult as a personal affront not just to his art but also to his future Awesome Game Job Career.

This is all random bullshit, I have no idea who this guy is, but I like his textures!

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
I now love Underground Hideout more than ever because I just discovered the secret compartment in the master bedroom and the sweet, sweet loot within. I've been dying for somebody to make a decent snub-nosed revolver and one's been sitting right under my nose for loving DAYS. I practically never use that room and it wasn't until I randomly wandered in to see if some recently completed quests had spawned any new props when for the first time one particularly odd detail about it caught my attention...

I then spent the next 20 minutes frantically searching the rest of the hideout to see if there were any other secrets tucked away in dark corners, which I'm sure is exactly the kind of reaction the author wanted to get out of people using his mod.

Underground Hideout is so awesome :swoon:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Capn Beeb posted:

:911:

Next time I do a Legion run, I'm getting this before I do Arizona Killer. Everyone kept spotting my rear end when I went to plant the bomb, so I ended up pulling a revolver out and blowing everyone away.

Arenovalis
Dec 8, 2010

Oh, no, I said, "steamed hams." That's what I call hamburgers.
Released 'This Machine':

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=39678

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

Arenovalis posted:

Released 'This Machine':

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=39678

Hell of a way to start the morning. :cheers:

Mr. Excitement!
Nov 4, 2008

Ask me how much I like shaved monkeys
That texture is absolutely amazing. Great detail on the wood grain and weathering. I like that on the top of the rifle, the wood is splitting due to dryness and age. Wow.

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

rope kid posted:

What we did do the same way as modders is stick to creating unique .nifs per mod combination.

Out of curiosity, why did you go this route instead of a weapon bone that the silencers/scopes/whatever could be positioned correctly to? As another guy said earlier, new mods have to have all iterations generated because of the separate nif files for each. Seems like a lot of work for both the modders and your artists.

Octagon N
Aug 21, 2007
Welp, all the awesome mods I keep loading have finally turned my New Vegas into a glitchy, crashy slurry. I can deal with the occasional (frequent) crash, but the glitch that is ticking me off the most is when, for no apparent reason, my 1st person view decides to go crooked. To the point where my weapon will appear to be pointing at the sky or the ground (although the bullets still go where the crosshairs are), I can't use iron sights, and my character decides she'd rather look at her elbow than the Pip-Boy.

Click here for the full 1440x900 image.

There are also versions of this glitch where the Pip-Boy is zoomed way out, and another where it's mostly inside the character's head, so only a corner is visible. If I'm lucky, I can occasionally reset the view to normal by frantically switching weapons, firing, and reloading, or by loading a much older save where the view is normal, then reloading the latest one. This leads me to believe it might be a save glitch, except I've been saving only through the console for a while now. I've tried changing the FOV through the console too, to no avail.

My load order (and it's entirely possible it's in a bad order/has conflicts/is otherwise retarded):

FalloutNV.esm
Advanced Recon Tech.esm
AWorldOfPain(Preview).esm
More Perks.esm
SCAV.esm
Weapon Mod Expansion.esm
MikotoBeauty.esm
NewVegasBounties.esp
FactionIDCards.esp
KillingKarmaFix.esp
IIWR 2.1.0.esp
UHNV.esp
XFO - 1aa - Accuracy Revamp - mild.esp
XFO - 1bb - Dmg - Non-Var - 2x.esp
XFO - 2aa - Armor - DR+DT - revamp - low.esp
XFO - 3aa - rarity - ammo - mild.esp
XFO - 3bb - rarity - caps - med.esp
XFO - 3ca - rarity - meds - mild.esp
XFO - 4a - Perks - Paths.esp
XFO - 4b - Perks - Perk Every Level.esp
XFO - 5a - SPECIAL & Stats Rebalance.esp
XFO - 5b - Skills - SP Formula Rebalance.esp
XFO - 5c - Skills - Better Med Surv Repair.esp
XFO - 5ea - Skills - Barter - Mild.esp
XFO - 6b - Pacing - Mild (No Cap).esp
XFO - 7b - UnMSG - Karma (Incl Sounds).esp
XFO - 8a - Cripple & Body Part Revamp.esp
XFO - 8b - Speed Increases.esp
XFO - 8c - Karma Rebalance.esp
XFO - 8d - Gore Changes.esp
XFO - 9a - Enemies - AI revamp.esp
XFO - 9ba - Enemies - NPC Health + low.esp
XFO - 9ca - Enemies - NPC Aim + low.esp
XFO - 9da - Enemies - NPC Healing - low.esp
Existence2.0.esp
CONELRAD 640-1240.esp
RNVExtended [100].esp
Kobu's Free Wild Wasteland Trait.esp
More Perks Update.esp
DK_BulletTime_NV.esp
old vaquero includes that gun.esp
Sprint Mod.esp
Tag Skills Improved.esp
that gun holdout.esp
Improved ammo.esp
Advanced Recon Gear.esp
Advanced Recon Tech.esp
better that gun 44mag.esp
Cheeco88'sUniqueWeapons.esp
LFox Invisible Armored Vests.esp
Tailor Maid - NV.esp
w44Satchels - Full.esp
RasRepair.esp
Follower Home Marker.esp
Sorter - Combined.esp
URWLNV.esp
ELECTRO-CITY - CompletedWorkorders.esp
ELECTRO-CITY - Highways and Byways.esp
ELECTRO-CITY - Darker Nights.esp
ELECTRO-CITY - Imaginator.esp
LUMENARIUMandELECTROCITY - Nevada Skies Replacer.esp
Weapon Mod Expansion.esp
MikotoBeauty.esp

Total active plugins: 63
Total plugins: 118

Any suggestions?

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

9 times out of 10 that type of thing happens because you have a glitchy animation mod, and you're moving before the animation finishes in first person mode. I don't see anything in your load order that looks like a smoking gun but many animation mods are not based on ESPs, and I don't use some of the stuff you do so I wouldn't know if it contains animation glitches.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

what is this.

Second comment: "is this a Freudian thing, and does it have a catheter?"

Think I found a couple workarounds for my problems with my male meshes; I should have everything ready by tonight!

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=39613

These are great looking retextures of the beasts in this game, gonna try it out and report back on it

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost

Brace posted:

These are great looking retextures of the breasts in this game, gonna try it out and report back on it

Ugh, another one of those mods? Why Nexus! Oh wait. To be serious, I really like the toned down colors from this, I never liked the bright-and-glossy look so many mutants sport.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Brace posted:

These are great looking retextures of the beasts in this game, gonna try it out and report back on it

Not downloading this until the brahmin udders jiggle back and forth seductively.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
cmon guys this isn't the nexus... is it :smith:

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

SheepNameKiller posted:

Not downloading this until the brahmin udders jiggle back and forth seductively.

Hey man, give him some time. He's only doing textures at the moment.

EDIT: On a related note, mole rat boobs. Where are they?

Poops Mcgoots fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 17, 2011

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
In case anyone forgot, you can still tip Brahmin over.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

A Lamer posted:

Out of curiosity, why did you go this route instead of a weapon bone that the silencers/scopes/whatever could be positioned correctly to? As another guy said earlier, new mods have to have all iterations generated because of the separate nif files for each. Seems like a lot of work for both the modders and your artists.
It would have required an additional investment of programming time and programming time was our most precious commodity. In addition to the time required to implement, there would have been the time spent debugging and going back and forth with the artists.

The "one .nif per combination, no more than three mods" plan balanced a tried-and-true process (basic .nif generation) with a low maximum number of mods per weapon.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Is the Gobi rifle any good with the updated stats? The only analysis I can find online is still describing the pre-patch damage and crit chance. Also, is it viable to play without using humanoid companions? I don't like having NPCs following me around but if the game is too hard without them or the quests/dialogue are super amazing I don't want to miss out.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Gobi's not bad. It's no AMR, but then, what is?

And yeah you can do fine without humanoid companions. Just aim for the head and always pack a briefcase full of bombs just in case.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Is there any way to use the 3GB LAA, and still have the steam overlay so I can talk with friends while I play a better version of fallout new vegas?

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

A Lamer posted:

As the guy doing the one big unofficial weapon mod pack thing (roughly 75 guns, 45 melee so far no including variants) for the peeps in this thread and spending the past two days adding modifications to weapons that didn't have them, it's actually incredibly easy to do. I'm an amateur using amateur tools like nifskope and I've been able to do close to 40 weapons in maybe 10 hours of time invested. So long as I have the models and the bits n' pieces are separate like they should be, it's so incredibly easy to do it the way it's done now for so very little time invested. And that's as an amateur.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Brace posted:

Is there any way to use the 3GB LAA, and still have the steam overlay so I can talk with friends while I play a better version of fallout new vegas?

Check the OP for a way to get the LAA and FOMM to play nice together, and you'll have your Steam overlay.

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I finally got around to try out some of the mods in this thread and they are glorious.

URLW + streetlights really makes the game look awesome.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Coughing Hobo posted:

Check the OP for a way to get the LAA and FOMM to play nice together, and you'll have your Steam overlay.

I don't see it. :smith: I'm running the updated version of the LAA, through FOMM, with NVSE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

Soho Joe posted:

Ugh, another one of those mods? Why Nexus! Oh wait. To be serious, I really like the toned down colors from this, I never liked the bright-and-glossy look so many mutants sport.

Yea, every one of his mod tweaks has just looked like 'LETS DARKEN SOME poo poo UP!' but I'm by no means sitting and examining each picture for five minutes. They just, to me, look like he toning down the color to blacken things and say it looks better.

Some of them are decent, I believe the Deathclaw was one that made them even more scarier than poo poo.