Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

TheBoogeyMan posted:

The name meths comes from this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylated_spirit

Rubbing alcohol is what I would ask for if I was at a store.

Yeah google led me to that article in fact, but other hits lead me to people doing something like drinking (not sniffing) with it. Which I have heard of people doing with rubbing alcohol, but never Methylated Sprits.

Are you from the UK, or did you get that from google? (like I did, which is why I was trying to figure out why people might be drinking meths, whihc made me think the word had a different range of meanings than the US.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Titan Coeus
Jul 30, 2007

check out my horn

kapalama posted:

Yeah google led me to that article in fact, but other hits lead me to people doing something like drinking (not sniffing) with it. Which I have heard of people doing with rubbing alcohol, but never Methylated Sprits.

Are you from the UK, or did you get that from google? (like I did, which is why I was trying to figure out why people might be drinking meths, whihc made me think the word had a different range of meanings than the US.)

I Googled it. Disregard my answer, you know more than me at this point.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

kapalama posted:

People will totally drink meths. Usually filtered through bread and mixed with OJ, at least back in NZ. loving retards, all of them. Usually the same dumbshits that would huff fly spray.

As for the US term, after asking an American colleague who spent several years in the UK, he said he'd go with "denatured alcohol" to get the same stuff at a hardware store.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 17, 2011

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

TetsuoTW posted:

People will totally drink meths. Usually filtered through bread and mixed with OJ, at least back in NZ. loving retards, all of them. Usually the same dumbshits that would huff fly spray.

As for the US term, after asking an American colleague who spent several years in the UK, he said he'd go with "denatured alcohol" to get the same stuff at a hardware store.

Is there an emote of a crying Kiwi? Pretend I put that here.
Meths is sold at a lot of convenience stores, but the few times I've tried to buy it there for cleaning paint and glue off poo poo, they've refused to sell it to me on grounds that I was gonna drink it.
Bear in mind this is the same store that, when I requested a plastic bag for the 3 bottles of coke I just bought, enquired if I would be using it to sniff glue from.

The only thing I've seen it used for is a solvent based cleaner, sanding wood and burning. It's pretty harsh and I wouldn't use it the same way I would rubbing alcohol, let alone drink the poo poo.
Do you want it for something, or just being curious?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Dead Alice posted:

Is there an emote of a crying Kiwi? Pretend I put that here.
Meths is sold at a lot of convenience stores, but the few times I've tried to buy it there for cleaning paint and glue off poo poo, they've refused to sell it to me on grounds that I was gonna drink it.
Bear in mind this is the same store that, when I requested a plastic bag for the 3 bottles of coke I just bought, enquired if I would be using it to sniff glue from.

The only thing I've seen it used for is a solvent based cleaner, sanding wood and burning. It's pretty harsh and I wouldn't use it the same way I would rubbing alcohol, let alone drink the poo poo.
Do you want it for something, or just being curious?

I was the one asking. I saw it referenced in a UK TV show (Inspector Morse), and I could not be sure what it was once I found online references to drinking it.

Because drinking rubbing alcohol is crazy, but drinking metholated spirits is absolutely insane.

Is it really cheaper or easier to get than actual drinking alcohol? And if so, why? I mean register as an addict and you can get heroin for god's sake. Why not keep people from drinking metholated sprits by selling them actual drinking alcohol?

kapalama fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 17, 2011

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

kapalama posted:

Is it really cheaper or easier to get than actual drinking alcohol? And if not, why not? I mean register as an addict and you can get heroin for god's sake. Why not keep people from drking mtholated sprits by selling them actual drinking alcohol.

I've seen one or two alcoholics close up, and the only times they reached for potentially dangerous alternatives was when there was absolutely nothing else around for a quick fix. I had a guy show up with aftershave breath once. Shops were closed; what was he gonna do?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

kapalama posted:

Is it really cheaper or easier to get than actual drinking alcohol? And if not, why not? I mean register as an addict and you can get heroin for god's sake. Why not keep people from drking mtholated sprits by selling them actual drinking alcohol.
It's way cheaper than real booze, but in order for it to be so, they have to adulterate it to make it (theoretically) undrinkable. If it were normal booze price, no-one'd use it for its intended purpose either.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jan 17, 2011

mister_gosh
May 24, 2002

What is the math term for what these numbers are doing or represent (other than doubling the previous number):

code:
0 1 2 4 8 16 32 64 128
Is there even a name for it?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

e: nm

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Geometric progression, maybe? Each number is multiplied by a common factor

John Redcorn
Apr 26, 2007
I am deeply flawed and unpleasant
2 questions:

1. does a cassette line-in/mp3 player adapter attract thieves?

I cannot seem to keep a nice car stereo for more than a year before its stolen. Just had another one disappear along with a window. Face was off but in the console where they found it. They didn't get the remote this time for some reason. I put my stock stereo back in. I hate radio, have no CDs, only mp3s.

Stock desk has a cassette and cd but no line in.

I have an old creative muvo mp3 player that I bought off ebay for like $20. thieves have passed it over during break-ins 3 times now.

I've used an inline hardwired fm modulator in the past on a different car with good results but since I have a tape deck now I'm thinking about going cheap and easy with one of those tape adapters.

Will the wire hanging out of my deck make thieves think "ooh $400 ipod inside" <SMASH>? or will they pass me by for someone with a nice deck or gps out in the open?

(I miss my bluetooth kenwood so bad, browsing through folders of a 16gb usb stick with a remote while doing 75mph was just too cool, but not in my city I guess. Edit: and as nice as bluetooth handsfree is, I know my Tool Cure Rush or Zep will never be automatically stopped again by #s someone far away presses on a keypad)

2. Why do SHTF/obamapocalypse/TEOTWAWKI-phobes think that putting all their money in gold will be of great benefit when society collapses? I mean there are some industrial uses for gold, and I really don't know if there's any substitute for it there (and we'd be assuming most industry would be shut down anyway) but isn't most of its value just kind of assigned by people who covet it?

If the S really did HTF here in the US only, I'd buy some ammo from my neighbor with gold, he'd buy some gasoline from his brother with that gold and his brother would buy food with it. No one in the US wants jewelry made with the way things are, it's not really of any real value to us is it? Me, my neighbor and his brother are just counting on that gold being secured by some guy in europe who wants a gold ring for his bride, or some teenager in UAE who wants to gold-plate his hummer?? But what if it wasn't just the US, what if it was a worldwide SHTF? or if not a worldwide SHTF what if it got so bad here in the US we didn't even know anything about the outside and whether or not they were doing ok and still wanted rings and gold-plated hummers?

(edit: it wont be gold, it will be kenwood decks that are the new currency, it's tea-party people who've been stealing my poo poo!)

John Redcorn fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 17, 2011

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

mister_gosh posted:

What is the math term for what these numbers are doing or represent (other than doubling the previous number):

code:
0 1 2 4 8 16 32 64 128

well if you take out the 0 (which doesn't fit your "doubling" description anyway) it's exponents of 2.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mister_gosh posted:

code:
0 1 2 4 8 16 32 64 128

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometric_series

mister_gosh
May 24, 2002

Wow, thanks everyone! That was fast.

shirtninjas
Nov 15, 2009
Is there already an online community based around open-sourcing physical inventions? All I can find is open-source software, but I think an open-source design community would foster innovation and efficiency in things like alternative energy, cheap water filtration, etc, and generally improve the world.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

shirtninjas posted:

Is there already an online community based around open-sourcing physical inventions? All I can find is open-source software, but I think an open-source design community would foster innovation and efficiency in things like alternative energy, cheap water filtration, etc, and generally improve the world.

A few things come to mind; RepRap, which is an "open-source" rapid prototyping machine, and OpenCola, a cola recipe specifically created for the public domain.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
There are a great number of people interested in open-source "hardware" as opposed to just software. (Hardware can be interpreted loosely here, and doesn't just refer to computers/electronics.) You're looking for "Maker," "DIY," or sometimes "hacker" communities. Makezine is a mostly electronics-geared community, and even Instructables is kind of in the same vein as what you're asking about.

Gravity Pike fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 17, 2011

general
Feb 16, 2010
I didn’t think this deserved its own thread and I checked the SA&P thread on biology and that seemed more about the discussion of biology.

I recently registered for a college class closely related to biology but didn’t require the intro to biology class as a prerequisite. Instead it suggested just having a high school education in biology. I did well in my biology class in high school, but that was in my freshman year and I never took a biology class since. So, does anyone know of a somewhat in-depth book that would be good for review?

Titan Coeus
Jul 30, 2007

check out my horn

general posted:

I didn’t think this deserved its own thread and I checked the SA&P thread on biology and that seemed more about the discussion of biology.

I recently registered for a college class closely related to biology but didn’t require the intro to biology class as a prerequisite. Instead it suggested just having a high school education in biology. I did well in my biology class in high school, but that was in my freshman year and I never took a biology class since. So, does anyone know of a somewhat in-depth book that would be good for review?

Any sort of AP Biology study guide will be perfect. They will give you the material without any sort of fluff found in normal text books. Also they are very cheap!

http://www.amazon.com/CliffsAP-Biology-Cliffs-Ap/dp/0470097647/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

John Redcorn posted:

2. Why do SHTF/obamapocalypse/TEOTWAWKI-phobes think that putting all their money in gold will be of great benefit when society collapses? I mean there are some industrial uses for gold, and I really don't know if there's any substitute for it there (and we'd be assuming most industry would be shut down anyway) but isn't most of its value just kind of assigned by people who covet it?

If the S really did HTF here in the US only, I'd buy some ammo from my neighbor with gold, he'd buy some gasoline from his brother with that gold and his brother would buy food with it.

First gold has been in demand as long as civilizations have existed.

Second, if there are internal combustion engines, and guns, then you are just talking third world, not collapse. Don't let Road Warrior type apocalypse movies fool you. If society collapsed, cars would be useless in days. It is not like gasoline bubbles up from the ground. It requires a completely organized industrial structure, from drilling to refinement to delivery. Without fossil fuels almost all manufacturing would not longer be available.

And more importantly:

Most people who think about these things have recognized that in the event of a collapse, the available energy would no longer be reachable to restart technological society. At this point, the only places where oil is available requires such a huge technological buildup (deepwater drilling, deep earth drilling, both in remote locations) that we could never reach it again now that we have exhausted the easily available fossil fuels, and only have 'the accessible only to technologically advanced societies' fossil fuels left.

So we are committed to making this time around work. Not least since we use every day the stored energy from sunlight that took several thousand years to accumulate. We have to get beyond fossil fuels for that reason if no other.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kapalama posted:

At this point, the only places where oil is available requires such a huge technological buildup (deepwater drilling, deep earth drilling, both in remote locations) that we could never reach it again now that we have exhausted the easily available fossil fuels, and only have 'the accessible only to technologically advanced societies' fossil fuels left.

Not true. There's tons of relatively shallow oil wells scattered all over Texas and California and Wyoming alone. They just don't produce as much oil as the fancy deep wells.

John Redcorn
Apr 26, 2007
I am deeply flawed and unpleasant
The gasoline/energy infrastructure, gently caress every infrastructure is going to be down.

I'm talking about the use of gold as currency for people buying gas, ammo etc that are already stored in private hands. Smaller picture, shorter-term than you're thinking. Not like "we need to start drilling for oil again soon" more like "we need to get 20 gallons of gas to get to uncle roy's to get the guns and grandma to safety." Yeah it wont last long but there will be some out there and the people who cache gold likely have contact with people who cache gasoline, ammo, food etc.

If you cached gas/food/ammo/whatever how legitimate and valuable of a currency would gold be to you though? How is gold still valuable here in the US when we have no water, gasoline, power, food, police, government etc?

John Redcorn fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 17, 2011

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

John Redcorn posted:

The gasoline/energy infrastructure, gently caress every infrastructure is going to be down.

I'm talking about the use of gold as currency for people buying gas, ammo etc that are already stored in private hands. Smaller picture, shorter-term than you're thinking. Yeah it wont last long but there will be some out there and the people who cache gold likely have contact with people who cache gasoline, ammo, food etc.

If you cached gas/food/ammo/whatever how legitimate and valuable of a currency would gold be to you though? How is gold still valuable here in the US when we have no water, gasoline, power, food, police, government etc?

Gold would be pretty useless as a means of exchange immediately after everything goes to poo poo and likely for quite a while after. Maybe in 100 years post-collapse once the God-Emperor of Sandusky Ohio starts allowing you to pay for crops in gold it will have use, but immediately after it's probably gonna matter more who has the most food and ammo and land.

For one thing, gold can be a bitch to carry around, and it'll also be hard to tell pure gold from half gold mixes etc. What if you only have coins of gold but Bob the Gasoline Hoarder only takes bars?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So how does Ebay stay in business? I haven't actually used it to buy anything in a while, and it seems like now most items (mostly electronics) I look up return a bunch of "Buy it Now" listings that are usually priced much higher than you can find on actual retail sites like Amazon. Heck, nearly all of the things I've looked up are cheaper down at Walmart or Target, especially with the outrageous shipping costs people want for the stuff.

Is there a reason for this? The only thing I can think of is that the people selling these things are all drug dealers laundering money by buying stuff at their local store, marking them up twenty bucks, then buying them from themselves with a fake account. There is no other explanation I can think of. Surely no one buys electronics at a premium while sacrificing customer service and protection.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Danger Mahoney posted:

So how does Ebay stay in business? I haven't actually used it to buy anything in a while, and it seems like now most items (mostly electronics) I look up return a bunch of "Buy it Now" listings that are usually priced much higher than you can find on actual retail sites like Amazon. Heck, nearly all of the things I've looked up are cheaper down at Walmart or Target, especially with the outrageous shipping costs people want for the stuff.

Is there a reason for this? The only thing I can think of is that the people selling these things are all drug dealers laundering money by buying stuff at their local store, marking them up twenty bucks, then buying them from themselves with a fake account. There is no other explanation I can think of. Surely no one buys electronics at a premium while sacrificing customer service and protection.

eBay make money on both the listing, and selling fees. Even if something is overpriced, they still get a cut of the list price.

Also, lots of people buy stuff from overseas, so even if it looks overpriced to you it's probably cheaper than importing it.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

fishmech posted:

it'll also be hard to tell pure gold from half gold mixes etc
James Burke's Connections episode 2, watch 2:30-4:30 of this and you'll see how ancient people accomplished exactly that
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hukkfbevWM&feature=related
(also, watch this whole series, it's awesome, and Burke has made it all available on Youtube)

Danger Mahoney posted:

eBay itself doesn't sell anything, it's all up to individual sellers to name their own prices or what not. Every single item gives a few cents to eBay itself because they charge a small fee for a sellers item to even be listed. eBay also takes a cut from the final value of any successful sales. And since eBay also owns paypal, paypal takes a small cut out of every transaction too. You may not think the values on the items you looked at are that great compared to other places you've seen, but eBay gets money from the listings whether they sell or not. And whatever you looked at are only a small fraction of the overall total number of items available through ebay (several million at any one time)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Elijya posted:

James Burke's Connections episode 2, watch 2:30-4:30 of this and you'll see how ancient people accomplished exactly that
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hukkfbevWM&feature=related
(also, watch this whole series, it's awesome, and Burke has made it all available on Youtube)

Ancient people who were trained in it is the key there.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

fishmech posted:

Ancient people who were trained in it is the key there.

True. Not that it sounds like it takes much expertise, he's just talking about rubbing metal on a certain type of river stone. But if we're talking about some true apocalyptic scenario, lots of people are going to either die or have to learn new skills anyway, least of which would be learning how to recognize metal standards to accept them for trade. And actually, the entire first episode of Connections really drives home how hosed we all are if society collapsed. Definitely worthwhile watching for anyone interested in this sort of thing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6H-w9Rm46o&feature=related (start 2:30)

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Danger Mahoney posted:

So how does Ebay stay in business?

:psyduck:

How could they not stay in business? They basically have no overhead, relatively speaking, and sell a million things every day probably.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
Is there a car audio megathread somewhere? I know absolutely nothing about it, and AI seems to be all about everything except audio.

\/\/\/\/ EDIT the A/V arena, I am so dumb, thanks!

Luminous Cow fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 18, 2011

Titan Coeus
Jul 30, 2007

check out my horn

Luminous Cow posted:

Is there a car audio megathread somewhere? I know absolutely nothing about it, and AI seems to be all about everything except audio.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2233053

Pizer
Aug 8, 2004
I want to buy a domain, i dont really want or care about hosting at the moment, i just want to lock down the domain so nobody can take it from me.

I also want to hide the registration/etc so nobody can track me down via whois or anything like that

what's the best way/site to go about doing this? Godaddy seems pretty bad deal for the privacy thing.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Pizer posted:

I want to buy a domain, i dont really want or care about hosting at the moment, i just want to lock down the domain so nobody can take it from me.

I also want to hide the registration/etc so nobody can track me down via whois or anything like that

what's the best way/site to go about doing this? Godaddy seems pretty bad deal for the privacy thing.

Namecheap is great and has free Whois Privacy on the first year. Coupon "NC2011" give you $1 off.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 18, 2011

Yuriki
Mar 27, 2004

Who the hell do you think I am?
For Valentines day I want to get a ring that is similar two my partner wears but I can not find what they're called and I've asked several jewelers. Essentially it is a band with chipped gems down the center of it. Think like, silver/white gold band and in the middle is a solid line of color but it looks like chipped gem pieces lined up to make the solid line, so it isn't like a perfect one color.

I don't know where I could go to find something like this or where to hunt down where to buy it and most jewelers say that they have no clue. I know the rings aren't costume jewelery because his fingers turn green with any kind of costume jewelery, but at the same time it's not something in every jewelry store.

Is there a specific name for something like this or some kind of store/retailer that might specialize in rings similar to this? Closest I've gotten is an "Eternity Ring" which is similar, but those are actual gems lining the middle and not a smooth one color thing of chips and stuff.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Xerin posted:

Ring

Sounds more like a smaller, trendier jeweler would be a better fit to find such a ring. Over in the UK, (Lincoln at least) there's a jeweler's called John Greed that sells contemporary stuff, such as two-toned rings of different materials. A few doors up, there's also a shop that sells "fossils" and gem rocks like amethyst (I can't think of a name for this type of shop) - the description of your partner's ring made me think of that shop.

If you knew the name of the gem, it might be easier to google.

Yuriki
Mar 27, 2004

Who the hell do you think I am?
I just know one is pink and another is green. I have a rough picture of it: right here but it is extremely blurry.

I don't even know if it is a real gem or fake gem, if its costume jewelery (although that turns their fingers green usually) or what and any questions about it is "I don't know, they were given to me by two different people."

JayBulworth
Apr 1, 2010
Alright, I recently broke my toilet seat so I need a new one. The problem is that the holes on my toilet that you screw the hinges in are 7.5 inches apart instead of the American standard of 5 inches apart. Can someone point me to a place where I can by toilet seats that have hinges like this? Other than the hinge issue, the toilet will accommodate any rounded seat.

I'm willing to buy online at this point by the way as I have looked everywhere in my city.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I have have had a watch for 5 years now, it claims to be '100 meters water resistant'. It is now starting to show condensation on the inside of the glass, but I've never worn it in the shower or bath, or had it under a tap. The wettest it has got has been rain.

What's the best thing to do about this?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

JayBulworth posted:

Alright, I recently broke my toilet seat so I need a new one. The problem is that the holes on my toilet that you screw the hinges in are 7.5 inches apart instead of the American standard of 5 inches apart. Can someone point me to a place where I can by toilet seats that have hinges like this? Other than the hinge issue, the toilet will accommodate any rounded seat.

I'm willing to buy online at this point by the way as I have looked everywhere in my city.

The keywords you need to search for is "bolt distance" or "hinge distance". Also try searching for Case toilet models. They seem to have a 7 inch bolt distance standard. I found a couple of 7 inch seats with that. For example, the first hit for "case 1000 seat is this, which has a list of seats, all of which "with chrome hinges, 7" center-to-center".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Anjow posted:

I have have had a watch for 5 years now, it claims to be '100 meters water resistant'. It is now starting to show condensation on the inside of the glass, but I've never worn it in the shower or bath, or had it under a tap. The wettest it has got has been rain.

What's the best thing to do about this?

Depending on the watch shop they can replace the Orings and battery and pressure test it.

Orings make the seal and they degrade over time.