Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

squibble posted:

I don't know when you got that Av but it is AWESOME.

About a day after the comic came out. I figured it would be best to hurry. And thanks! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melche
Apr 29, 2009
This comic is so weirdly inconsistent. You get all those awesome Tarquin strips in pretty quick succession, then wait a week plus for this. I don't mind wordy strips at all, but the words here don't really do anything, it's just bizarrely drawn-out let's go bust out my dad, also lol I wasn't gonna pay the ransom. That's like one panel's worth of plot and an aside joke, not an entire comic. Do we really need like half a strip detailing her ingenious plan to pay the ransom then steal it back when it's now not even gonna happen?

Also I wish they'd just stop doing sex jokes. They are awkward and don't work.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I think it's backgrounds that take the most time. The Tarquin stuff was like, a railing.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

wiegieman posted:

I think it's backgrounds that take the most time. The Tarquin stuff was like, a railing.

Really? The backgrounds in the most recent strip are like, 30 minutes tops in Adobe Illustrator. Burlew uses copy-pastes for his characters, I really don't think the art is what's holding it back.

He was probably just scripting out the next part of this arc.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...
Plus it *is* the week before Christmas. I don't know about you, but I've been busy as hell lately.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
:siren:New Strip:siren:

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Tarquin is the best evil genius ever :swoon:

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Yes. Yes he is.

One who is Rad
Mar 30, 2010
I would buy the entire manual if it existed.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

It does. Google "Evil Overlord" list.

Iggy Johnson
Mar 11, 2007

It doesn't work if you beg.
If I ever have to make an employee handbook, I'm including that. Definite love for this strip.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Xykon who?

Zetetica
Jan 22, 2010
Tried zooming in on the mid-week games poster but was disappointed.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Once again, proving that genre awareness is the most deadly superpower of all.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
:siren:New strip!:siren:

All I want to say by way of commentary is that once in a Star Wars campaign, I rolled a massive critical success when using Force Suggestion. The crew of an entire Star Destroyer was thus convinced that our ship was in the area because we were delivering a pizza somebody on the planet below had ordered.

Never underestimate the power of a dumb lie backed by really good rolls.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I am the Moon!

(let's see how many people also read the TGD forum...)

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Bobulus posted:

I am the Moon!

(HE IS THE MOON)

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY
*smokes a fatty and rides the smoke up to bobulus*

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Bobulus posted:

I am the Moon!

(let's see how many people also read the TGD forum...)
...I don't :(

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

CapnAndy posted:

...I don't :(

drat shame

(you are the moooooooooon)

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
You may be the moon, but that doesn't mean I have to do what you tell me to.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Starts here as an argument as to why bards suck so much, and just steamrolled from there.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3098558&pagenumber=218&perpage=40#post371989051

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
It works like this, if you want to tell a lie, you make a Bluff check. If the lie is pretty much impossible to believe, the target gets a +20 to the attempt to see through it. Glibness gives a +30 to the check, which means that if the target is as good at seeing through lies as you are at telling them (which is really difficult, because it's a lot easier to find bonuses to increase your ability to tell lies than your ability to detect them), you will still come out ahead most of the time if you're telling an impossible lie. If it's merely implausible, it's all but guaranteed. And at epic levels, things get even sillier where you can jump straight into Jedi Mind Trick. Thanks to Glibness, lying is more effective than telling the truth.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

No no, I knew how it works. I just didn't get the TGD reference to being the moon.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Oh hey, grognards.txt got good again.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

I just realized those two guards foreshadows not only some action at the palace in a bit, but also that they'll be appearing in it as well.

anchorite
Sep 22, 2009
:siren:New Strip!:siren:

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

anchorite posted:

:siren:New Strip!:siren:

I love the look on Roy's face in the last panel. He's so smug.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
The smuggest.

This arc had been great, I do wonder when it is going to move on though, it feels like a long time since anything happened with the main quest. Not necessarily a bad thing but I've kind of forgotten what they are even supposed to be doing anymore, something about gates or whatever?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Kuno posted:

The smuggest.

This arc had been great, I do wonder when it is going to move on though, it feels like a long time since anything happened with the main quest. Not necessarily a bad thing but I've kind of forgotten what they are even supposed to be doing anymore, something about gates or whatever?

They have to prevent Tarquin from ruling the world.

Good luck with that.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Kuno posted:

The smuggest.

Who the hell cares, this whole thing owns!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Things are obviously coming to a head here. Haley sent those first two guards to the palace; Tarquin is going to know exactly what's going on the second they show up and I guarantee you his Sense Motive scores are as astronomical as Haley's Bluff. She won't be able to lie her way past him.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Well, the potion's effects stopped changing her voice when she entered the Anti-magic field (note the loss of color in her speech bubble).

I'm not clear enough on my D&D rules if that negated the potion, or the effects of the potion.

In other words, if she leaves the anti-magic field now, before the potion wears off, does she get the effect back?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Antimagic fields only suppress effects, so yeah, she does. That's what the "half an hour" line is about, too.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I hope this is all leading up to the point where Elan compensates for not being able to out-swordfight his father by bringing a singleclass, high level fighter to the rematch.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY
I have to say that Burlew must be one helluva DM. His solution to the wizard problem is splitting the party.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Red_Mage posted:

I have to say that Burlew must be one helluva DM. His solution to the wizard problem is splitting the party.

Which, incidentally, only works because the wizard can't teleport...

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Ashenai posted:

Which, incidentally, only works because the wizard can't teleport...

Well, it's not his fault the fundamental rules of reality were changed since he chose his prohibited schools.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

Things are obviously coming to a head here. Haley sent those first two guards to the palace; Tarquin is going to know exactly what's going on the second they show up and I guarantee you his Sense Motive scores are as astronomical as Haley's Bluff. She won't be able to lie her way past him.
No, that's the thing about Glibness. The bonus you get to your Sense Motive to see through a completely blatantly false lie, like "The sky is green" when the blue sky is in your field of view, is +20.

Glibness gives you a +30 to Bluff rolls to lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zereth posted:

No, that's the thing about Glibness. The bonus you get to your Sense Motive to see through a completely blatantly false lie, like "The sky is green" when the blue sky is in your field of view, is +20.

Glibness gives you a +30 to Bluff rolls to lie.

And unless Tarquin is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay higher level than Haley is, her Bluff score is likely fairly close to his. It's easy to pump Bluff even without taking ranks in it. It's hard as hell to pump Sense Motive any higher.

That's not to say he won't figure it out, of course. Haley hasn't bluffed against Tarquin yet, so he's free of the effects of her potion.