Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I don't think I ever saw a Sticklebrick missing less than a quarter of its bristles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
Jesus Christ, you think a Lego brick is painful to step on barefoot?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

therizinosaurus posted:

So I made something with the lego digital designer, but it seems wickedly expensive, like ~$40 for less than 150 pieces.

Is there any way to do this cheaper?

LDD puts a $10 service charge on top of a per-brick markup, which artificially inflates the price of the final product. What you ought to use is LDD Manager, an MS Access app that makes a bricklink-friendly parts list from LDD files.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Flavor Bear posted:

Jesus Christ, you think a Lego brick is painful to step on barefoot?

I remember it not being so bad. The sticks were flexible enough to bend once you put some weight on it, and not very sharp.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Holy gently caress, sticklebricks just brought my entire early childhood rushing back. I thought I'd blocked that poo poo out.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Click here for the full 720x480 image.

Got the Aviator minifig, decided he needed a weirder plane than the one from that Pharaoh's Quest set, so I gutted it and made some kinda mutant X-Wing abomination.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
That's pretty awesome.

It'd be even more awesome if it was a push prop.

Rebuild it, you know you want to.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

EvilJoven posted:

That's pretty awesome.

It'd be even more awesome if it was a push prop.

Rebuild it, you know you want to.

It is, you just can't see the pusher that well in that picture.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Karma Tornado posted:

Click here for the full 720x480 image.

Got the Aviator minifig, decided he needed a weirder plane than the one from that Pharaoh's Quest set, so I gutted it and made some kinda mutant X-Wing abomination.
That looks like something out of Crimson Skies. i.e. Awesome.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Ahh, I see it now. It's more of a configuration like the Do 335, one engine and prop in the front, the other in the back. Ballin.

therizinosaurus
Aug 22, 2010

by Ozma

3 posted:

LDD puts a $10 service charge on top of a per-brick markup, which artificially inflates the price of the final product. What you ought to use is LDD Manager, an MS Access app that makes a bricklink-friendly parts list from LDD files.

This is great, thanks a bunch for this.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
Wow, I'd totally forgotten about sticklebricks, and I also had no idea they were called that. Anyway, I've actually been building lately, so I wanted to share a bit. I've embarked on something of a project: modeling the late 1950's 20th Century Limited. I'll let you read the wiki if you care to but, in short, it was just about the most luxurious train ever to run in the US. Perfecting the striping has meant venturing into quasi-legal technique territory with some vinyl applications, but I'm pretty happy with the results, so rules be damned. So far I've finished the observation car and the dining car. Two sleeper cars are almost done, and yet to be built are the two engines, the mail/baggage car and the lounge car, which featured a radio phone, a secretary and a barber shop. Here are the finished cars:

Observation

Dining

Hopefully more will be done in the next couple weeks.

ppyy
Nov 5, 2005
I recently bought Propeller Power #6745, Mini Plane #5762, two of Super Speedster #5867 (with the intent to buy more soon), Rescue Robot #5764, Slave 1 #8097 and Shuttle Adventure #1204 (highly recommended). I'm really loving the creator sets.

Here is my first attempt at a SNOT Vic Viper. I used mostly the sets above but took some from my fairly sizable childhood collection. I am currently in the process of organizing them.

Click here for the full 1548x870 image.

Click here for the full 1483x834 image.

Click here for the full 1933x1087 image.

more shots here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/58483026@N03/

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Observation

Dining

Vinyl be damned, that is gorgeous and I am jealous of your talent. If I ever set out to build something semi-realistic, I just end up getting frustrated. I can make a killer swooshable spaceship, but a brownstone or rail car? Nope.

This is why I really love what LEGO has been doing lately with the modular buildings, Midnight Express, etc. Helping people like me build realistic, classy looking stuff.

Huge Fucker Bitch
Jan 8, 2004
Went to Target and they had two boxes of minifigs in the Valentine's area, also picked up the Troll's Mountain Fortress set for half off. Just have to wait until Friday to open the minifigs when the wife is home.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Wow, I'd totally forgotten about sticklebricks, and I also had no idea they were called that. Anyway, I've actually been building lately, so I wanted to share a bit. I've embarked on something of a project: modeling the late 1950's 20th Century Limited. I'll let you read the wiki if you care to but, in short, it was just about the most luxurious train ever to run in the US. Perfecting the striping has meant venturing into quasi-legal technique territory with some vinyl applications, but I'm pretty happy with the results, so rules be damned. So far I've finished the observation car and the dining car. Two sleeper cars are almost done, and yet to be built are the two engines, the mail/baggage car and the lounge car, which featured a radio phone, a secretary and a barber shop. Here are the finished cars:

Observation

Dining

These would be good for a Lego Noir theme, they're very classy lookin. Definitely post more when you got more :f5h:

EDIT: I got my second Anakin's Y-wing/3rd Hyena Bomber yesterday, and while I'm going to part them both out, they arrived already put together. I didn't realize it when I first made it myself, but the Y-Wing is huge:

Somehow it makes me like it as a set a lot more. Maybe I'll leave it intact for awhile since the current thing I'm working on uses dark green and light gray.

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 20, 2011

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Time for a bump and some neat stuff on brickshelf today:

A nice Vic Viper, I particularly like the layered look of the front wings/mandibles as they stretch back through the middle to the rear wings.

Click here for the full 1024x767 image.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=459098

A Civil War Era steam ship. It has that fantastic curved brick-trick for the bow, which I still haven't tried out.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=459069

A Spyrius base on a volcano... makes sense since they always seemed like the shady, plotting type.

Click here for the full 1065x1200 image.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=459064

Big Technic X-Wing... not quite as cool to me as the official UCS set, but since it's motorized that makes it at least as cool.

Click here for the full 1000x671 image.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=457653

I want the Battle for Geonosis set just so I can get my hands on those new friction extensions. I'm planning on buying at least two of these sets.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=457145

Finally, I'm working on this. Some might recognize it from the old thread, and I decided to take a more serious swing at it.

Lots of SNOT going on and lots of asymmetry is making this fun :D

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

InfinEight posted:

A Civil War Era steam ship. It has that fantastic curved brick-trick for the bow, which I still haven't tried out.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=459069

Wow, the smoke "effects" on that thing are amazing.

quote:

I want the Battle for Geonosis set just so I can get my hands on those new friction extensions. I'm planning on buying at least two of these sets.

That thing looks awesome, I may have to pick one up.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Just saw some blogs mention further price drops on Shop@Home. All that's left are magnets and keychains, but you can't go wrong with an Admiral Ackbar keychain for under 2 bucks.

http://shop.lego.com/SalesAndDeals/Default.aspx

HedgeHodge
Jan 22, 2006

I'd just like to say that the creations in this thread are mind-blowing, and it has stricken me with deep nostalgia for the countless Lego sets I had as a kid.

I was looking through stuff on the Lego website and just came across the architecture series and it's taking every fiber of my being not to pull the trigger and buy the Fallingwater and Guggenheim sets.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find Fallingwater for less than $78 (so far Amazon is the cheapest I've been able to find)?

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Inspector_71 posted:

(Battle for Geognosis) looks awesome, I may have to pick one up.

gently caress Star Wars Lego right in its stupid face for being overpriced and I need this set and I need the new Imperial V-Wing and gently caress.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

PeePot posted:

Just saw some blogs mention further price drops on Shop@Home. All that's left are magnets and keychains, but you can't go wrong with an Admiral Ackbar keychain for under 2 bucks.

http://shop.lego.com/SalesAndDeals/Default.aspx

Aww, I want the Wind Turbine Transport but it's already sold out. It was good at half off but for $18? I woulda bought two :(

Sexual Lorax posted:

gently caress Star Wars Lego right in its stupid face for being overpriced and I need this set and I need the new Imperial V-Wing and gently caress.

Tell me about it, I thought that Geonosis one was only $30, and that V-Wing should be $15. Oh well, they'll be around for awhile and hopefully we can snag em on sale :hfive:

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I posted this in the Internet Necromancy thread, but I'm hoping someone might have come across it here:

I'm looking for sociology related online article that deals with children and LEGO. The premise of it is a group of kids in a school or daycare who were fairly mature and got along when it came to playing with LEGO, possibly building a city together. I think the problem had to deal with the decreasing number of bricks and LEGO space which they ultimately couldn't resolve, resulting in what I remember as a mutual agreement to give up LEGO.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

InfinEight posted:

Jesus, what an amazing set of parts. I'm going to need to get 2 or 3 of these. That's beautiful.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
Well, I am done with series 3. Not that I now hate it, it's just that I have spent over a hundred bucks on it since December, so I am cutting myself off. I am going to suck up the cost of a Fisherman on Bricklink, but then I am done until series 4.
That being said, if anyone needs gorilla men, mummies, racecar drivers, tennis lesbians, elves, hula girls, samurai or Blacktron cyborgs, lemme know if you want to trade.

Sexual Lorax posted:

gently caress the V-Wing because when I heard about it I thought it was going to be the one from the original Rogue Squadron game.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

If I ever have a daughter, I think I'll make her a dollhouse like this:

http://mocpages.com/moc.php/248437

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
I have had a good day so far. I bought a 6399 monorail set and it arrived today. The motor works though its missing a few bits, one of which being the red motor cover. I've wanted a monorail ever since I saw them.

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 22, 2011

Cosmic Web
Jan 11, 2005

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you!"
Fun Shoe
Minifigures Series 2 really got me back into Lego after growing up and playing with them until the mid-90s.

So far that comeback has brought a total of 22 minifigures into my home, and I managed to get my hands on the huge Viking ship (my first ship ever) together with the smaller ship and the Wolf for €35. Really digging the ship; not a big fan of those monsters though, which I'm probably going to sell off.

Today my awesome girlfriend gifted me the Prison Escape Tower and the Pirate Loot Island Set. That castle set brings memories back of the one I received when I was 4 years old, Black Monarch's Castle, and is really neat. The pirate island on the other hand has an awful base (and skull), which reminds me a bit too much of playmobil. At least the pirates look way cooler nowadays.

In other news, some dude on the toysnbricks.com forums posted a picture of nine minifigures of the upcoming series 5. Definitly need to get my hands on the historical figures and the dinosaur.

Cosmic Web fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 23, 2011

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Looks like they jacked the price for the new series of minifigs here in Aus. $5 each? no thanks.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
Whoa, is that a Victorian Detective?
That's so weird because the other day I was thinking LEGO should really put a Sherlock Holmes in Series 5.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Granite Octopus posted:

Looks like they jacked the price for the new series of minifigs here in Aus. $5 each? no thanks.

Anyone know of a release date for series 4 in North America?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Indolent Bastard posted:

Anyone know of a release date for series 4 in North America?

I heard April for S4 and July/August for S5.

Meanwhile I just now today got what I wanted from S3. I've missed 1 and 2 entirely. Oh well, these elves are the best.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
I don't know how many people on here besides me will care about this, but Lego is releasing a new licensed Maersk set in addition to the 4th release of the container ship that just came out. For those who haven't seen the ship:

But now, we're getting a train:

There have been real Maersk-painted locomotives. I suppose the set is based on this one:

For someone who loves to make train and shipping related MOCs, this is about as awesome as it gets. At any rate, I figured I'd use this opportunity to tell a little of the history of Maersk and Lego.

Maersk is the largest container shipping company in the world, and for over 30 years now, Lego has made sets for them, using Maersk's official corporate color, just called Maersk Blue on most Lego sites.

There have only been a few sets released during this long stretch of time. First, in 1974, a floating boat, set 1650:

In 1980 and 1985 we got two truck sets with many similar components, 1651 and 1552:

We got one last truck in 1995 (with hardly any Maersk blue in it) set 1831

The ship was released in 2004, 2005, 2006 and now 2010/11 as separate releases. They changed the stickers to reflect Maersk's livery change from "Maersk Sealand" to "Maersk Line" but the sets are basically idential otherwise.

Why bother telling you guys all that? Well, if you don't already know, Maersk Blue parts are VERY expensive. Until the ship came out, which was available as a catalog/online only until Lego Stores came along, these sets were only avaible from within Maersk, via the company store, or so I have always heard. The first two trucks, particularly, are among the rarest and most valuable Lego sets, and 1651 contains what may be the most expensive single Lego piece, the Maersk Blue construction hat. This little piece recently sold for $200 on Bricklink. And there's one available now for $175, as well as one for $600. A steal, right?

People like to build with Maersk Blue, because it's really a great color. I used it to make a future-y space container ship a while back. Unfortunately, even common components are ~$1 a piece. The bricks in the newer ship are cheaper, but there are no plates in Maersk Blue in that set. If you want plates, you go to the early '80s sets, and it gets expensive. So there's your Lego Maersk history lesson.

A new set with a new variety of parts, including what appears to be Maersk Blue cheese slopes (on the yard truck) and a new and awesome train besides. My bank account will suffer, but I will not care.

e: It also appears those guys are wearing construction hats, so there goes that market.

Shuppiluliumas fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 23, 2011

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

Shuppiluliumas posted:

People like to build with Maersk Blue, because it's really a great color.
How much is there to actually distinguish it from other LEGO blues? Every picture I've seen makes it look similar to either Medium Blue or Sand Blue, so I can't see any model which couldn't get away with using one of those instead.

Back before LEGO expanded their colour palette, and it was the only alternative to standard blue, I can understand its popularity, quite apart from the rarity. These days, not so much.

Schisser posted:

In other news, some dude on the toysnbricks.com forums posted a picture of nine minifigures of the upcoming series 5.
Oh dear. I limited myself to the Elf from series 3 so that I can afford to buy a box of series 4. Now it looks like I need to start saving for a box when series 5 comes out as well.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Shuppiluliumas posted:

oh drat, I know I'm gonna buy several of these sets.. any idea on the release date?

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Dame Cook posted:

How much is there to actually distinguish it from other LEGO blues? Every picture I've seen makes it look similar to either Medium Blue or Sand Blue, so I can't see any model which couldn't get away with using one of those instead.

Back before LEGO expanded their colour palette, and it was the only alternative to standard blue, I can understand its popularity, quite apart from the rarity. These days, not so much.

Oh dear. I limited myself to the Elf from series 3 so that I can afford to buy a box of series 4. Now it looks like I need to start saving for a box when series 5 comes out as well.

Maersk Blue is closest to Medium Blue. In person it doesn't look anything like Sand Blue, though I agree pictures often make it hard to tell for sure. The picture of the new container ship is closest to what Maersk Blue really looks like. IMO, Maersk Blue is much nicer than Medium Blue. When seen side by side, Medium Blue just looks gray and dingy to me. Maersk Blue is a bit tinted towards aqua. Here's Maersk Line's webpage. Maybe that will give you a better idea:

http://www.maerskline.com/appmanager/

Veeb0rg posted:

oh drat, I know I'm gonna buy several of these sets.. any idea on the release date?

Rumor has it May 2011. What I don't know yet is if it will actually be publically available, or just a company exclusive, like they've done in the past. I'm leaning towards a public release, seeing as they just brought out that ship again, but I don't know for sure yet.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I definitely want the train, and I'll buy the ship if we can get some Lego Somalian pirates and Lego Navy SEALs.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I went to Target today and they had a completely stuffed bin of minifigs. Like, at least 100 of them. AND NO baseball players! Anyone want to trade a mummy or a fisherman for one?

King Faraday
May 22, 2009

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Hell yes. I will buy that with money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Lord Commissar posted:

I definitely want the train, and I'll buy the ship if we can get some Lego Somalian pirates and Lego Navy SEALs.

My dad has the ship and it's not really minifig scale. But that does give me an idea what to do when I'm visiting my parents.

And me and my brother are so going to get that train set for him as a birthday present.