Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

george soros irl
Nov 12, 2005

make friends and then buy & sell money always

tehfox0r posted:

Just did a ROM backup and am fishing around for an EVO build right now. I want gingerbreaaaadddddd

Is the Supersonic/Evo a supported phone for nightlies? I'm going all :f5: on http://mirror.teamdouche.net/?device=supersonic&type=nightly right now and I don't know if it's in vain or not, which is sad because I want gingerbreaaad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

tehfox0r posted:

Is the Supersonic/Evo a supported phone for nightlies? I'm going all :f5: on http://mirror.teamdouche.net/?device=supersonic&type=nightly right now and I don't know if it's in vain or not, which is sad because I want gingerbreaaad

The Evo is supported, buildbot might not be working or they're fixing something for the Evo right now.

I'll flash CM7 tonight after I get around to doing S-OFF. The first working nightly for the Slide on CM6 was great, so I have the same confidence in the CM7 nightlies.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Penguissimo posted:

Just out of curiosity, what did form did this pants-making GBS threads take? Horrible laggy performance? Constant FCs? Bootloops?

Most notably would be the phone taking 10-15 seconds to unlock and after a day or two the Dialer app would also poo poo out whether it be not launching at all or when somebody called my phone would just white screen and ring until I yanked the battery.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.
I've been using the unofficial CM7 for a while, and just flashed nightly #0. It's really solid as a daily use ROM already.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Installin' dis now!
e: huh, I don't seem to be able to flash gapps
e2: Needs a version of rom manager that isn't stable/you have to flash manually. Apparently there are some issues with some missing stuff too. I think I'll hold off until it gets more stable.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 17, 2011

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Just updated to the "newest" unofficial kang build or whatever today, nice to see an official nightly though.

george soros irl
Nov 12, 2005

tehfox0r posted:

It's out for the EVO! Flashing this bitch now

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Just finished flashing it and all seems to be working just fine. I've been running on lithid's CM7 builds for a while now and those have been working excellent.

Don't want to bother with updating this every day though, I'll keep to me update every week or so schedule (unless things are really hosed).

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Skeezy posted:

Question about the new Amon_RA Recovery for an EVO. Is it safe to use with a 0004 build EVO? When I was rooting this thing I remember there being a disclaimer saying "ONLY USE AMON_RA 1.8.0. DON'T USE ANYTHING ELSE, AND DON'T USE CLOCKWORK". I'm alright with 1.8.0 but if I could update it and be safe I rather do that.

That was really just a warning so people didn't use earlier versions of Amon Ra. The newer ones are fine and have more features than 1.8.0, so there's no reason not to upgrade at this point.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Kreeblah posted:

That was really just a warning so people didn't use earlier versions of Amon Ra. The newer ones are fine and have more features than 1.8.0, so there's no reason not to upgrade at this point.

Alright then I'll get on updating that now.

EDIT: Only thing left I'm worried about is ROM Manager/Clockwork Recovery. Is that stuff alright with the newer EVO's? Should I still be worried if the old root methods said not to use it?

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 17, 2011

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Most notably would be the phone taking 10-15 seconds to unlock and after a day or two the Dialer app would also poo poo out whether it be not launching at all or when somebody called my phone would just white screen and ring until I yanked the battery.

Yikes, fun times. I might wait to hear how things go before I take the plunge, then. Hopefully they'll get it stable on the Inc soon.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Penguissimo posted:

Yikes, fun times. I might wait to hear how things go before I take the plunge, then. Hopefully they'll get it stable on the Inc soon.

Well it survived the night and the phone is unlocking nice and fast so that's a plus. I'll try calling it from my desk phone to make sure Dialer is OK but it made a bunch of calls late last night with no issue. My only complaints thus far is that it doesn't include battery percentage in the notification bar (yet) and trackball wake only seems to work 75% of the time. Really solid though.

Edit: Jesus gently caress me sideways I hate the new Market. It's a laggy piece of poo poo.

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

Six pokeballs, more than enough to catch anything that moves.
Flashed the official CM7 Nightly last night on my Motorola Droid, I really like how smooth it is and everything, but I do have a question for anyone else on CM7 and anyone on a moto droid running CM7. First, DSPManager force closes when I start up my phone and when I try to open it, would this be because of me restoring my system data? Secondly, and this is for the Moto Droid users, does your keyboard no longer light up? Mine has stopped and I am assuming it has to do with the nightly.

EDIT: Not sure why I didn't think to do it earlier but wiping the data fixed DSP Manager, so now only my hardware keyboard question remains.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Primworm posted:

Flashed the official CM7 Nightly last night on my Motorola Droid, I really like how smooth it is and everything, but I do have a question for anyone else on CM7 and anyone on a moto droid running CM7. First, DSPManager force closes when I start up my phone and when I try to open it, would this be because of me restoring my system data? Secondly, and this is for the Moto Droid users, does your keyboard no longer light up? Mine has stopped and I am assuming it has to do with the nightly.

I would wager that you are right in both cases. Also, restoring system data across different builds of Android (e.g. 2.2 to 2.3) is never a good idea.

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I would wager that you are right in both cases. Also, restoring system data across different builds of Android (e.g. 2.2 to 2.3) is never a good idea.

Well Titanium Backup has an option that says something to the effect of "safely restore system data across different versions" and honestly, the only thing I wanted to restore was my call log and my SMS messages,if I knew exactly what entries to restore for that, I would be golden. My phone also seems to randomly reboot, albeit very rarely. It hasn't been enough to be a bother, but I bet as soon as it force closes on me in the middle of a game of angry birds or something I'll be mad.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Primworm posted:

Well Titanium Backup has an option that says something to the effect of "safely restore system data across different versions" and honestly, the only thing I wanted to restore was my call log and my SMS messages,if I knew exactly what entries to restore for that, I would be golden. My phone also seems to randomly reboot, albeit very rarely. It hasn't been enough to be a bother, but I bet as soon as it force closes on me in the middle of a game of angry birds or something I'll be mad.

If your mostly after SMS/MMS and call log, just get into the habit of installing SMSBackup+. It backs up to gmail so you can search through old text, and lets you back them onto the phone if needed.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

tehfox0r posted:

It's out for the EVO! Flashing this bitch now

I'm probably going to flash it later today for mine, out of curiosity how is it working? Keeping 4G is nice but not necessary.

Edit: on another note, I am running the Alpha CM ROM with 4G, and while it gets faster than 3G speeds, its not even close to what I usually get. I'm hitting just over 1MB right now when I usually get 3-6.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 17, 2011

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

deong posted:

If your mostly after SMS/MMS and call log, just get into the habit of installing SMSBackup+. It backs up to gmail so you can search through old text, and lets you back them onto the phone if needed.

I have that, but its already backed up 10000 texts, and there's no option to restore the 200 newest, it just restores the first 200 that were backed up(or all of them if I don't restrict it, in which case id be perfectly backed up, but 10,000 messages takes awhile), unless there's something I am missing, but this does do the job for backing everything up, it just doesn't play nice when it comes to restoring.

george soros irl
Nov 12, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

I'm probably going to flash it later today for mine, out of curiosity how is it working? Keeping 4G is nice but not necessary.

Edit: on another note, I am running the Alpha CM ROM with 4G, and while it gets faster than 3G speeds, its not even close to what I usually get. I'm hitting just over 1MB right now when I usually get 3-6.

Everything with the actual ROM is running well so far. I am unable to test 4G because I don't have it in my area, but there are a few things that seem buggy:

No Ads doesn't work, though, probably because the hosts file is located somewhere else on gingerbread. I'd like to find a way to get it to work, any suggestions?

Edit: Also the app MoveToSD isn't working (force close issues also). I suspect this is because the call to get to applications is different in gingerbread than froyo. I just moved the apps to my SD card manually in the end.

george soros irl fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 17, 2011

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Does anyone know where to find the notification bar settings in CM 7?

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

La Revolucion no tiene tiempo para elecciones

Doctor Butts posted:

Does anyone know where to find the notification bar settings in CM 7?

cm settings/user interface

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I guess I should have been more specific,
I can't find the options to turn off the clock/turn on/off battery percentage in the notification bar.

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

Doctor Butts posted:

I guess I should have been more specific,
I can't find the options to turn off the clock/turn on/off battery percentage in the notification bar.

Im fairly sure these aren't in CM7 yet, I looked through all my options and I didn't see it either.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Correct. They have not been ported over from CM6 yet. Since GB has a new notification bar set up we can reasonably assume that there were major framework changes since 2.2 and porting hacks that relied on framework stuff is going to be delayed.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Primworm posted:

I have that, but its already backed up 10000 texts, and there's no option to restore the 200 newest, it just restores the first 200 that were backed up(or all of them if I don't restrict it, in which case id be perfectly backed up, but 10,000 messages takes awhile), unless there's something I am missing, but this does do the job for backing everything up, it just doesn't play nice when it comes to restoring.

Change the label in Gmail from SMS to SMS-Old on all but the last 200, or however many you want.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Correct. They have not been ported over from CM6 yet. Since GB has a new notification bar set up we can reasonably assume that there were major framework changes since 2.2 and porting hacks that relied on framework stuff is going to be delayed.

Thanks!

Also, in the spirit of notification bar clock removal and changing your battery icon, here's some flashable files for DINC users...

http://mattyg.me/cm7/

nandroid first of course.

edit: let me test them out first..
edit 2: was able to install both of them on my incredible through rom manager/didn't even wipe dalvik

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 17, 2011

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

Casao posted:

Change the label in Gmail from SMS to SMS-Old on all but the last 200, or however many you want.

Not sure why I didn't think of this, but thanks much! Just decided to start fresh on it all since I already got my messages, but this is a good bit of info to know.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I just said screw it, and if I need to look at an old SMS I open up the gmail app and look at the SMS label.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Are people seeing performance or battery improvements on 2.3 yet? I'm tempted to try, but its not like 2.2 where you get huge gains and a stable of software that requires it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Civil posted:

Are people seeing performance or battery improvements on 2.3 yet? I'm tempted to try, but its not like 2.2 where you get huge gains and a stable of software that requires it.

I haven't noticed any.

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

La Revolucion no tiene tiempo para elecciones
Battery life is drastically worse at first but gets better real fast once you stop turning it on and off just to see the cool CRT shutoff effect

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Civil posted:

My desire feels snappier and I think it lasts longer - the same kind of usage that left me with usually 68% battery left at the end of the day is now more like 75% left.

Additionally, the phone now rates at 1246 in Quadrant with the first official CM7 nightly, the unofficial nightlies I'd been using for the past week or so were about 1176 in Quadrant and back on CM6 the phone did like 1050 in Quadrant.

Plus it's neat to rotate the lock screen to unlock instead of swiping to the side.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

fishmech posted:

Plus it's neat to rotate the lock screen to unlock instead of swiping to the side.

What? What setting is this?

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA posted:

Battery life is drastically worse at first but gets better real fast once you stop turning it on and off just to see the cool CRT shutoff effect

It also helps if you use the Tiamat kernel that supports smartass governing.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Maker Of Shoes posted:

What? What setting is this?

CyanogenMod Settings > Input Settings > Lockscreen Style and choose Rotary

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

fishmech posted:

CyanogenMod Settings > Input Settings > Lockscreen Style and choose Rotary
Oh that. I thought you literally meant rotating the phone. Yeah that was the lock screen on the very first OG Droids with 2.0.

Fatpot
Oct 15, 2005

uh yes
Has anybody rooted a Motorola Backflip? I'm having trouble using the Superoneclick, it just keeps looping its process, but never actually roots the phone (although it did copy the superuser program over).

Edit: Currently the phone is running 1.5 from Telus. I want to root and hopefully flash to 2.1 since Canadians get no upgrade love.

Fatpot fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 18, 2011

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Decided to install CM7 nightly....running amazingly, GB is a big smoother overall and much prettier overall.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
Been using GB since Micromod 1.17 on my Nexus One. Really looking forward to flashing CM7, and I hope all this nightly build praise means the stable is coming soon. The Micromod set me back a bit on battery life, waiting to see if CM makes it any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
I switched to CM7 on my Evo and now I'm getting this error message:

The process com.android.phone has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

When I press Force Close it just keeps popping back up. What did I do?