Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Zereth posted:

No, that's the thing about Glibness. The bonus you get to your Sense Motive to see through a completely blatantly false lie, like "The sky is green" when the blue sky is in your field of view, is +20.

Glibness gives you a +30 to Bluff rolls to lie.

Theoretically Haley could walk into the throne room, point at the dragon and say "She's not the queen, I am!" and everyone would believe her, even the dragon.

Or say she is the moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Zereth posted:

No, that's the thing about Glibness. The bonus you get to your Sense Motive to see through a completely blatantly false lie, like "The sky is green" when the blue sky is in your field of view, is +20.

Glibness gives you a +30 to Bluff rolls to lie.
And if you've got, say, 70 points in Sense Motive, suddenly that -10 you're laboring under isn't the world's biggest problem. What do we know about Tarquin? Tarquin is prepared. He can handle reality-warping lies.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

And if you've got, say, 70 points in Sense Motive, suddenly that -10 you're laboring under isn't the world's biggest problem. What do we know about Tarquin? Tarquin is prepared. He can handle reality-warping lies.

Tarquin also is a major NPC, and is immune to what most DMs call "Stupid bullshit that only works on minions".

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Also, going from memory, crafting an item that provides a skill bonus is only bonus squared X 100 GP. A +20 ring of Sense Motive would be ((20 * 20) * 100) or 40,000 gold. A meager sum for someone of his resources.

I can't recall if it caps at +20, or if you could just drop 250k for a +50 ring or not.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

I don't care about the haters, the bard floating on a cloud of smoke always makes me laugh.

HE IS THE MOON

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

crime fighting hog posted:

Tarquin also is a major NPC, and is immune to what most DMs call "Stupid bullshit that only works on minions".

I've always found it strange how players actually enjoy circumventing half of an adventure with a single skill check.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Or say she is the moon.
(she is the moon)

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

inthesto posted:

I've always found it strange how players actually enjoy circumventing half of an adventure with a single skill check.

If the players can waste your entire adventure, or hell, campaign, with a lucky roll, they will. Many sessions my friends and I skipped half the dungeon and wound up facing off against the leader of the bad guys just because we took the right series of turns in the hallways. In the end we were shortchanging ourselves in terms of gold and XP. We were ruthlessly killed a few adventures into the campaign.

Also, Tarquin could also just have Discern Lies cast about him 24/7 or some loopy poo poo.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Also, Tarquin could also just have Discern Lies cast about him 24/7 or some loopy poo poo.

Knowing Tarquin I am gonna call him simply turning up with earplugs, can't hear the lies... can't be lied to.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Tarquin probably has like 100 ranks in Awareness(Exploitable Bullshit Rules). The moment he sees minions wandering around going "SHE IS THE MOON" he's going to know what's up.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Glibness also has a chance to bypass lie-detecting or truth-compelling magic/effects, since they need to make a caster level check against the spell. Since it's a potion, it probably only has a caster level of 7 (minimum level required to cast Glibness and thus make a potion), for a caster level check DC of 22 (15 + potion's caster level).

Ranks in a skill like Sense Motive are limited, so he's not going to have more than 3 + his Hit Die ranks, plus any bonuses from his ability score, items, feats, spells, etc. Haley has the same limitations on her Bluff score, but Glibness is a huge boost in her favor. Things will happen as they happen.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

LightWarden posted:

Glibness also has a chance to bypass lie-detecting or truth-compelling magic/effects, since they need to make a caster level check against the spell. Since it's a potion, it probably only has a caster level of 7 (minimum level required to cast Glibness and thus make a potion), for a caster level check DC of 22 (15 + potion's caster level).

Ranks in a skill like Sense Motive are limited, so he's not going to have more than 3 + his Hit Die ranks, plus any bonuses from his ability score, items, feats, spells, etc. Haley has the same limitations on her Bluff score, but Glibness is a huge boost in her favor. Things will happen as they happen.

Half an hour isn't very long though, and even if something doesn't tie them up for a while, there's not necessarily a reason that they'll bump into Elan's dad at all.

It would still be really interesting though! This arc is great so far.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Half an hour isn't very long though, and even if something doesn't tie them up for a while, there's not necessarily a reason that they'll bump into Elan's dad at all.

It would still be really interesting though! This arc is great so far.

However, it WOULD be dramatic for Tarquin to catch them, and considering that we are in fact talking about him...

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

If the players can waste your entire adventure, or hell, campaign, with a lucky roll, they will. Many sessions my friends and I skipped half the dungeon and wound up facing off against the leader of the bad guys just because we took the right series of turns in the hallways. In the end we were shortchanging ourselves in terms of gold and XP. We were ruthlessly killed a few adventures into the campaign.

I ended a campaign with the initial reveal of a villain thanks to a crit roll Holy Dwarven Thrower. Necromancer went pop.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Taerkar posted:

I ended a campaign with the initial reveal of a villain thanks to a crit roll Holy Dwarven Thrower. Necromancer went pop.

That's when you do a double-reveal and that was just the villain's right hand man, and now the real villain is really peeved at the players.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

inthesto posted:

No poo poo, I short circuted an L5R game once by doing this. 15 minutes into the game, I spoke to a water spirit that lead me somewhere, then spoke to the spirit of a lock(you can do this if you are a shugenja) and convinced it to open, and we found the serial killer about to kill his next victim. No idea who it was, what his motivation was, or anything. Just, bam, katana to his face.

Talked to the GM, and found out that there was about 10 pages of notes and details that I made go poof from 2 die rolls.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

CapnAndy posted:

70 points? His level would be in the 66 if he didn't have any magical assistance, and I can't really see anything lower than mid 40s even with some powerful magic items.

Epic starts at 20, btw.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 18, 2011

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

sansuki posted:

No poo poo, I short circuted an L5R game once by doing this. 15 minutes into the game, I spoke to a water spirit that lead me somewhere, then spoke to the spirit of a lock(you can do this if you are a shugenja) and convinced it to open, and we found the serial killer about to kill his next victim. No idea who it was, what his motivation was, or anything. Just, bam, katana to his face.

Talked to the GM, and found out that there was about 10 pages of notes and details that I made go poof from 2 die rolls.

This is where a GM is allowed to fudge some things and make you still work through 10 pages of notes.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

DoctorTristan posted:

Tarquin probably has like 100 ranks in Awareness(Exploitable Bullshit Rules). The moment he sees minions wandering around going "SHE IS THE MOON" he's going to know what's up.

Not unless the DM is specifically making "unkillable" NPCs to gently caress with his characters. Your max ranks in something is your level + 3. And like I said, it's hard as hell to get bonus points in Sense Motive without really funky magical equipment.

The earplugs idea, however, is workable.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Mortanis posted:

Also, going from memory, crafting an item that provides a skill bonus is only bonus squared X 100 GP. A +20 ring of Sense Motive would be ((20 * 20) * 100) or 40,000 gold. A meager sum for someone of his resources.

I can't recall if it caps at +20, or if you could just drop 250k for a +50 ring or not.

If I'm remembering correctly, the cap for non-epic skill boosters is +30; epic items have no cap but are ten times as expensive as the formula would normally indicate. So you go from 90,000 for a +30 to 961,000 for +31.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

rotinaj posted:

Not unless the DM is specifically making "unkillable" NPCs to gently caress with his characters. Your max ranks in something is your level + 3. And like I said, it's hard as hell to get bonus points in Sense Motive without really funky magical equipment.

The earplugs idea, however, is workable.

According to that whole exchange in grognards.txt Bards can use the Perform skill as well. Earplugs won't work when your miming.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

rotinaj posted:

Not unless the DM is specifically making "unkillable" NPCs to gently caress with his characters.

Miko.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hypocrisy posted:

Miko.

Numerically, they could have killed the poo poo out of Miko with the whole Order. Morally is out of my hands, that's up to the writing.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

rotinaj posted:

Numerically, they could have killed the poo poo out of Miko with the whole Order. Morally is out of my hands, that's up to the writing.

Are you forgetting about the initial meeting with Miko, where(under very specific conditions) she kicked the entire group's collective rear end?

Presumably that was because the DM of this D&D game didn't want his new NPC insta-killed. Durkon assumed it was the Gods setting stuff up that way.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

inthesto posted:

Apparently I tend to do it without even meaning to and also only with ideas. In one game I played there were two nobles set to get married in a few days, and we had a stack of letters that proved that there had been some serious irregularities about the disappearance of the noblewoman's former lover, heavily involving the nobleman. So we thought about different methods to get to her on her heavily guarded ship for a bit, and then I said "actually, this might sound stupid, but they're letters, let's send her just one by regular mail with a note saying 'there's more about this but it's too complicated to explain in a note, let's meet up' and see where that goes." Whoops I circumvented half the sidequest.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bobulus posted:

Are you forgetting about the initial meeting with Miko, where(under very specific conditions) she kicked the entire group's collective rear end?

Presumably that was because the DM of this D&D game didn't want his new NPC insta-killed. Durkon assumed it was the Gods setting stuff up that way.

going back and reading it, you guys are right. However, those conditions didn't stick around for long, and the Order likely could have killed the poo poo out of her the next day, or at any point from then on. Morally, they were stopped from doing so, not by the actual encounter modifiers.

Besides, Tarquin has been introduced, had his big "moment", and I don't think the DM would make Tarquin be invincible for the rest of the story.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

rotinaj posted:

Morally, they were stopped from doing so, not by the actual encounter modifiers.

And the damned railroad plot!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

rotinaj posted:

There's the fact that they were off-guard and confused, with Roy fighting well below his actual abilities what with that makeshift greatclub instead of a sword business.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
Burlew actually did a write-up of how he figures the fight went down mechanically. It was pretty well thought-out.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

rotinaj posted:

going back and reading it, you guys are right. However, those conditions didn't stick around for long, and the Order likely could have killed the poo poo out of her the next day, or at any point from then on. Morally, they were stopped from doing so, not by the actual encounter modifiers.

Besides, Tarquin has been introduced, had his big "moment", and I don't think the DM would make Tarquin be invincible for the rest of the story.

stop treating OotS like it's someone's D&D game and treat it like a story being told within the rules of D&D.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

HKR posted:

stop treating OotS like it's someone's D&D game and treat it like a story being told within the rules of D&D.

Just as soon as Burlew does, I will too.

You can tell some totally awesome stories within a D&D game. I have and plan to continue doing so in the future.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'm just waiting for this entire scenario be revealed as a fever dream induced by a glibness bluff told by that illusionist character they were looking for in the first place.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Donraj posted:

Burlew actually did a write-up of how he figures the fight went down mechanically. It was pretty well thought-out.

I don't know about the first time but he explanation for the second time was pretty stupid.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

rotinaj posted:

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
New Strip

Looks like he hasn't changed much.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"The Fatherland." That's fantastic.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Lt. Danger posted:

What's that from?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Oh, right, Ian Starshine is a paranoid nutjob who nearly scarred Haley for life with a total inability to trust anyone. I had forgotten.

Kill his rear end, Tarquin!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Pester posted:

What's that from?

After Belkar's Mark of Justice was activated, he became very, very sick and eventually hallucinated Shojo explaining to him how to get people to not hate him by pretending to not be a raging psychopath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

rotinaj posted:

You can tell some totally awesome stories within a D&D game. I have and plan to continue doing so in the future.

I know that's the only real reason I decided to give D&D a go at all; my friend is a great storyteller, and the dumb poo poo that's happened in all the campaigns he's run goes great with drinks.