Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

just make sure you have safe search on when you google "photographing children"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.
Here's some engagement photos from the weekend:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Reichstag posted:

This is my favorite portrait in a long time. It's my grandpa, but this is not representative of him at all really.

Sorry, had to.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

AtomicManiac posted:

My biggest complaint would be about the tonal quality of the images. The first one is very cool, followed by a yellow with green tint, then warm, then neutral. I find it's hard to group them as a set with such inconsistent tone.

Other than that, the first photo could use a bump in exposure and probably a crop. The ice in the second photo looks like concrete. The one corner vignette and the trashbin in the third photo are distracting. It should also be cropped. The fourth is a cliche I've never understood.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

TheLastManStanding posted:

My biggest complaint would be about the tonal quality of the images. The first one is very cool, followed by a yellow with green tint, then warm, then neutral. I find it's hard to group them as a set with such inconsistent tone.

Other than that, the first photo could use a bump in exposure and probably a crop. The ice in the second photo looks like concrete. The one corner vignette and the trashbin in the third photo are distracting. It should also be cropped. The fourth is a cliche I've never understood.

Do you think the tonal range is too much? On the disc there's about 10-15 of each different one, so looking at the disc has a whole may seem more cohesive. I kind of like giving a few different looks, since it always seems like what I prefer and what the clients like are usually two different things, but they usually can't express it well enough before hand.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Righto, I've taken a few portraits as part of my 365 recently and I'm relatively happy with. Please feel free to rip them apart:

Quick snap of my grandfather using daylight through a window with a thin white curtain for lighting.

My dad, using a bright but overcast day as lighting.

Headshot for a wedding planner I do work with every now and then. Awesome golden hour lighting. Minor Photoshopping on this to remove stray hairs/lessen the wrinkles etc.

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006
How does the water of the brain yield the wine of conscious experience? - Some one quoted it once.

psylent posted:

Headshot for a wedding planner I do work with every now and then. Awesome golden hour lighting. Minor Photoshopping on this to remove stray hairs/lessen the wrinkles etc.

She has a weird white line in between her eyebrows.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

psylent posted:

The lighting is good but she looks really not good. Her smile looks really forced and her eyes look empty, which makes her look kinda unfriendly. I have no idea about weddings whatsoever (and god-willing never will) but if I was hiring a wedding planner, I imagine I'd want someone who looked really warm and easy to get along with, and I don't see that here at all. On the flip end, if I was trying to market myself, I wouldn't use this to do it.

I know some people just hate having their photo taken and you have to work with what you've got, but I'd still try to reshoot this.

I like the portrait of your dad.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
She did repeatedly say she hates having her photo taken, and we only had about 15 mins to do the shoot. Portraiture's something I really want to work on, and I'm learning that a big part of it isn't the technical side of things; it's also making your subject feel comfortable and relaxed among other things. I think that's why my family portraits are a bit stronger. Her smile definitely looks forced.

edit: she just emailed to say she was really happy with it. I'll keep your advice in mind for next time anyway:)

psylent fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 16, 2011

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Aside from the "White Line" on the last one, your dad appears to look considerably older than your grandfather. I don't know if this is actually the case (IE: Hard lifestyle) or if the black and white is really making his wrinkles pop out more than they should.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

psylent posted:

Righto, I've taken a few portraits as part of my 365 recently and I'm relatively happy with. Please feel free to rip them apart:

Quick snap of my grandfather using daylight through a window with a thin white curtain for lighting.

My dad, using a bright but overcast day as lighting.

The "quick snap" part of your grandfather really shows, the sloppy background (picture frame growing out of his head, window or something just peeking in on the left) kills it for me.

Loving everything about the B&W of your dad!

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

AtomicManiac posted:

Aside from the "White Line" on the last one, your dad appears to look considerably older than your grandfather. I don't know if this is actually the case (IE: Hard lifestyle) or if the black and white is really making his wrinkles pop out more than they should.
That would be Mediterranean skin vs Anglo skin. Also my dad worked shift work most of his life which probably didn't help.

BobTheCow posted:

The "quick snap" part of your grandfather really shows, the sloppy background (picture frame growing out of his head, window or something just peeking in on the left) kills it for me.

Loving everything about the B&W of your dad!
It was quite sloppy, I might get around to editing it at some point to remove all the extra junk.

Glad everyone likes the Dad portrait, I'm pretty happy with it. :)

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

did this for the ladyfriend a little while ago:

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Penpal - are the skin tones accurate on that shot?

Does anyone have a link to that website that has the same model shot at focal lengths from 10mm-400mm? I really need to bookmark it.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

psylent posted:

Penpal - are the skin tones accurate on that shot?

Does anyone have a link to that website that has the same model shot at focal lengths from 10mm-400mm? I really need to bookmark it.
http://stepheneastwood.com/tutorials/lensdistortion/strippage.htm

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

psylent posted:

edit: she just emailed to say she was really happy with it. I'll keep your advice in mind for next time anyway:)

Hey if she's happy, I suppose that's good. They're her clients! And there's only so much you can do if someone really doesn't like having their photo taken.

I did some Christmas photos for a friend and posted them here and the general consensus was that they were badly cropped and too cold and sterile for Christmas photos, so I went back and redid them based on the suggestions here and they looked a lot better, but when I asked my friend if he wanted the retouched ones he was like "we loved them the first time!"

The more time I spend here the more I realize how ridiculously low the expectations of non-photographers are, which is cool, because that's usually who is giving you money to take pictures. And that raises all kinds of fun philosophical questions about what qualifies art as good.

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 18, 2011

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

mr. mephistopheles posted:

The more time I spend here the more I realize how ridiculously low the expectations of non-photographers are, which is cool, because that's usually who is giving you money to take pictures. And that raises all kinds of fun philosophical questions about what qualifies art as good.
I feel like I'm barely competent as a photographer, yet all my clients seem to really love what I do. While that's nice, I really only appreciate compliments from other photographers and people who know their poo poo.

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006
How does the water of the brain yield the wine of conscious experience? - Some one quoted it once.

Not really. I'd say those issues were already raised. ^_^

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

psylent posted:

I feel like I'm barely competent as a photographer, yet all my clients seem to really love what I do. While that's nice, I really only appreciate compliments from other photographers and people who know their poo poo.

Pretty much in the same boat, except I don't really get compliments from photographers. Someday.

Arinel posted:

Not really. I'd say those issues were already raised. ^_^

I haven't read the whole thread, but even if they have been raised before does not mean they cannot be raised again! But I won't.

wanderlost
Dec 3, 2010

I haven't read the whole thread, but even if they have been raised before does not mean they cannot be raised again! But I won't.

I think he's referring to photography's questioning of art as a whole, rather than a specific instance somewhere prior in the thread. ie photography and postmodernism. but thats a for another thread... zing

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
The company I work for are about to overhaul their Intranet, and I'm pretty sure I could sell them some headshot work for their corporate pages.
Now I'm thinking of various generic lighting set ups I can use that won't need to be changed, regardless of who steps in front of me.

I'm thinking just a 45 degree transparent umbrella on a semi reflective background.. Should give enough of a specular on the background to make them pop a little.

Cyberbob fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 19, 2011

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006

wanderlost posted:

I think he's referring to photography's questioning of art as a whole, rather than a specific instance somewhere prior in the thread. ie photography and postmodernism. but thats a for another thread... zing

Yep!

But because it is for another thread, here are some portraits to make this reply relevant:

Edit: retarded, been so long since I've posted an image.

Arinel fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 19, 2011

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>

psylent posted:

I get the same feeling.

Content!
These photos were taken at a Christmas party do that I went to. A Community Bank Branch that my girlfriend works for and her sister is on the board. It was held at a sailing club, and the theme was supposed to be "nautical."

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Man_alive posted:

I think you went a little too wide with this one, and there's a tree growing from her head.

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I think you went a little too wide with this one, and there's a tree growing from her head.

You know, I didn't really notice the tree out of her head until you mentioned it...

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Man_alive posted:

You know, I didn't really notice the tree out of her head until you mentioned it...
Ain't that always the way...

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Man_alive posted:

It's 2 trees, they look like antlers.

Just try to unsee that.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Man_alive posted:

Right away I could tell that this was Australian.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Man_alive posted:

I get the same feeling.

This is an unflattering angle. Basically, you're key-stoning her hips. The same shot from beneath, shooting up would be much better.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

torgeaux posted:

This is an unflattering angle. Basically, you're key-stoning her hips. The same shot from beneath, shooting up would be much better.
Other way around. Shooting low will put the emphasis on the lower body. He handled it correctly by shooting high, he just needs to crop it because there is way way to much space in both those pictures.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

TheLastManStanding posted:

Other way around. Shooting low will put the emphasis on the lower body. He handled it correctly by shooting high, he just needs to crop it because there is way way to much space in both those pictures.

But...shooting low, with a wide angle lens, held portrait will elongate the woman, making her taller, right?

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

torgeaux posted:

But...shooting low, with a wide angle lens, held portrait will elongate the woman, making her taller, right?

The closest thing to the lens is going to look biggest, so by getting low you are decreasing the distance from the lens to the hips. So shooting high is the way to go.

I personally would have gone in tighter, and focused more on a "headshot" style picture.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Low wide angle will make legs look longer, but in this case it would've made beer hips even wider and possibly lost her neck if she was looking down. Using a longer focal length would've been better.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Low wide angle will make legs look longer, but in this case it would've made beer hips even wider and possibly lost her neck if she was looking down. Using a longer focal length would've been better.

Alright, I'm able to visualize it better now. The three responses have me back on track.

DuckBOT
Sep 11, 2001

step off my grill, dog.
Messing around with some lighting and did a self-portrait. I do not smile. AB-400 in a softbox to the right of the camera, another bee on the left.

Full-size here.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
That is an intense stare, like someone kidnapped your puppy.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I've somehow never had to do headshots before this week. Thoughts?

Rachel2-0108-final by RMK86, on Flickr

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

BobTheCow posted:

I've somehow never had to do headshots before this week. Thoughts?

Rachel2-0108-final by RMK86, on Flickr

cool the white balance or desat your reds, her skin tone looks like she's a lobster.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Couple of my Dad before he passed away. I don't usually like taking portraits, so they're probably not very good.

IMG_0632 by J Dawson, on Flickr

(C&P Flickr desc.)
Not sure if I'm happy with this. Taken on holiday shortly before my Dad passed away; this is quite a sad picture in my eyes and I tried to drain some of the colour to reflect this.

IMG_0649 by J Dawson, on Flickr

I have a few more but havn't got round to processing them yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Creepy Goat posted:

Couple of my Dad before he passed away. I don't usually like taking portraits, so they're probably not very good.

IMG_0632 by J Dawson, on Flickr

(C&P Flickr desc.)
Not sure if I'm happy with this. Taken on holiday shortly before my Dad passed away; this is quite a sad picture in my eyes and I tried to drain some of the colour to reflect this.

IMG_0649 by J Dawson, on Flickr

I have a few more but havn't got round to processing them yet.

I think they are great. Sorry for your loss, thats really hard.