Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

thedouche posted:

Do any of you know how Bestbuy would handle an unofficial amazon recall of the non-lighted case?

Honestly Best Buy is usually pretty good about exchanging something like that, bring it back with receipt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Virigoth posted:

I'm a book behind you. loving love these books. I can't wait to finish so I can get in the Book Barn thread and read all the theories and find the poo poo I missed that people noticed and then start sperging on my own.

Finishing Bonehunters at 2am and immediately buying the next book is never going to get old. I'm trying to finish all of them before The Crippled God comes out in a few a weeks.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Duckman2008 posted:

Honestly Best Buy is usually pretty good about exchanging something like that, bring it back with receipt.

Even if you don't have the receipt if you have the card that you payed for it with they can look up the receipt for the transaction.

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Why does my Nook Color insist on opening up Lightroom when I plug it in?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Iron Squid posted:

Why does my Nook Color insist on opening up Lightroom when I plug it in?

It's probably recognizing the photos on the NC and thinking you want to import them...

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

hotsauce posted:

It's probably recognizing the photos on the NC and thinking you want to import them...

Most likely. But how can I get Windows to knock this off?

Also, I've finally gotten my Nook Color rooted. Unfortunately its not playing YouTube videos. The instructions for this are kinda contradictory so if anyone knows how I can enable YouTube, I'd appreciate it.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
I'm hoping someone here can assist in guiding me in the right direction re: purchasing an eReader. I'm looking for a tablet/reader device to use primarily for manga and e-books, and ideally also for comic books/graphic novels. I've been told to go with a 9-10" screen so I don't have to zoom and/or squint to make out speech bubbles) and from looking at the options on the market, it seems my only option for colour is an LCD device at the moment.

- Is colour e-ink worth waiting for? I believe devices using this tech are just around the corner, right?
- Are there any other LCD options aside from the iPad (which is too expensive and proprietary for my liking) and the Nook Color (screen too small)?
- If I settle for B&W and go for an e-ink reader, are there any options other than the Kindle DX and the Pocketbook Pro 902 (which I'm currently leaning towards)?
- Are there any other products (LCD or e-ink) due for launch in the next 6 months which might be worth waiting for?

For what it's worth, I live in Australia though don't let that stop you from recommending products not available here.

Edit: vvvvv Guess that answers that particular question then.

jassa fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 17, 2011

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

jassa posted:

- Is colour e-ink worth waiting for? I believe devices using this tech are just around the corner, right?

If by right around the corner you mean several years before it's both out and affordable.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Iron Squid posted:

Most likely. But how can I get Windows to knock this off?

Also, I've finally gotten my Nook Color rooted. Unfortunately its not playing YouTube videos. The instructions for this are kinda contradictory so if anyone knows how I can enable YouTube, I'd appreciate it.

Youtube breaks once you sign in. Use Titanium Backup to clear data and it should work again. Or you can uninstall it (have to remount system as rw I think), and install the version in this thread, which doesn't break if you're signed in.

As for Lightroom opening up, open Lightroom, go to edit > Preferences and under General untick "show import dialog when a memory card is detected".

Since your Nook functions as a memory card reader, LR sees it as a memory card and opens up. Or if that's already unticked, go to the AutoPlay settings (just type "AutoPlay" in the start menu search if you're on Vista+), and if there's an "Open Lightroom" in one of those, you can change it to "Take no action".

Sima Sam
Oct 4, 2010

Nah man, I'm the EVENING star. All that bad stuff was my bro.

jassa posted:

- Are there any other LCD options aside from the iPad (which is too expensive and proprietary for my liking) and the Nook Color (screen too small)?

Well... other than the horrible chinatablets(SmartV series) and the comical amount of devices announced at CES this month... The Galaxy Tablet would be a good choice, and if the Adam actually does ship this week, and is actually good, it would make a great device.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Fuzzykinz posted:

Well... other than the horrible chinatablets(SmartV series) and the comical amount of devices announced at CES this month... The Galaxy Tablet would be a good choice, and if the Adam actually does ship this week, and is actually good, it would make a great device.

If the Nook Color's screen is tooo small for him, well, the Tab's screen is the same size.

Sima Sam
Oct 4, 2010

Nah man, I'm the EVENING star. All that bad stuff was my bro.
I somehow managed to overlook that specific comment of his.

Then regardless of my previous post, waiting a while for CES vaporware to become reality is honestly the best path then.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Can you even buy manga on an online book store? legally?

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
I've seen a few on amazon, though there are probably other sites that would be more specifically geared towards that though.

e: Just downloaded a sample onto my kindle, it's kind of tough to read on it, and it doesn't seem like theres a way to adjust the screen size. Even rotating it won't just show half in a larger size, it just smushes it down to only take half of the screen.

Circle Nine fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jan 18, 2011

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Circle Nine posted:

I've seen a few on amazon, though there are probably other sites that would be more specifically geared towards that though.

e: Just downloaded a sample onto my kindle, it's kind of tough to read on it, and it doesn't seem like theres a way to adjust the screen size. Even rotating it won't just show half in a larger size, it just smushes it down to only take half of the screen.

Yeah, I'm definitely not 100% sold on using a Kindle or other e-ink device for manga quite yet. I borrowed a friend's 6" Kindle and will be messing around with it over the next couple of days to see how well it works.

Is there much in the way of options when it comes to modding/hacking Kindles to get them to do stuff they weren't originally designed to do? I'm one of those people who loves to mess about with stuff like that. :)

Edit: Also there seem to be ways to zoom with a Kindle... that would help a fair bit if I went with a 6" one, though I don't want to be doing that for every page.

jassa fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 18, 2011

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:
It seems like the cheapest thing for what you want to do would be a netbook or laptop.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

jassa posted:

Is there much in the way of options when it comes to modding/hacking Kindles to get them to do stuff they weren't originally designed to do? I'm one of those people who loves to mess about with stuff like that. :)
There's some stuff out there, one that may interest you is Mangle. Dunno how well that works though. I played around a bit with Kif an IF interpreter, doesn't work with everything though but I guess it's pretty cool.

There's a few other mods and hacks around, not really bothered with much apart from the screensaver hacks. There's a few things on the same forum as that Kif link in the Kindle Dev Corner.

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

I have a kindle and my wife was sharing it. She put some books on there that she is still reading. She received a kindle as a gift. Is there anyway to transfer the books to her kindle or does she have to re-purchase them?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

njbeachbum posted:

I have a kindle and my wife was sharing it. She put some books on there that she is still reading. She received a kindle as a gift. Is there anyway to transfer the books to her kindle or does she have to re-purchase them?

As long as you register the new one to the same account you can go to "Manage Your Kindle" in the account section of Amazon.com and transfer them to the new kindle without rebuying. If you set up syncing it will even put her back on the pages she was reading.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

njbeachbum posted:

You can link both of the Kindles to the same account and share all of your books all the time, unless I'm mistaken.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ara posted:

You can link both of the Kindles to the same account and share all of your books all the time, unless I'm mistaken.

Yep, you can have up to 6 devices on the same account, including Kindles and Kindle apps on phones and computers.

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

The Aphasian posted:

As long as you register the new one to the same account you can go to "Manage Your Kindle" in the account section of Amazon.com and transfer them to the new kindle without rebuying. If you set up syncing it will even put her back on the pages she was reading.

Thanks!

drquasius
Dec 25, 2004

Megadyptes posted:

There's some stuff out there, one that may interest you is Mangle. Dunno how well that works though.

Mangle works fine. The problem is that the screen size on a non-DX Kindle is really just too drat small, and there really isn't any good way to get around that. Outside of using a magnifying glass that is.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

jassa posted:

Yeah, I'm definitely not 100% sold on using a Kindle or other e-ink device for manga quite yet.

Actually, I've been reading manga on my Sony 650 for a few days and I've been really happy with it. Bear in mind, it's not perfect; if I'm honest, 6" screens are a bit small for reading manga in general, especially if it's your primary reason for getting a device. However, if you're willing to deal with the size to an extent, reading manga is a cinch on the Sony. If you need to zoom in on some portion to see the tiny-tiny text asides they sometimes like to do, it has a continuous zoom/pan feature that makes it really easy with the touchscreen. Also, you can rotate the whole thing to read it in bigger size landscape (which is what I do). If you read it in landscape, there's a decent overlap where it cuts the page in half, so if while viewing the top half it appears to have cut a panel right in the middle, usually continuing to the bottom of the page will allow you to view the whole panel just fine, if that makes sense.

What's more, it's relatively easy to convert a series of images or .cbc/cbz into .epub or .lrf with Calibre, which the Sony reads happily. I've converted a couple of series now, and what you end up with is a neat file that includes a linked table of contents that points to the start of each chapter, and you can read the whole thing continuously from start to finish as you would a normal book. I have no idea if this is possible on a Kindle, but I've found it to be much better than I anticipated - especially after everyone in the thread was warning against using an ereader for anything other than plain ebooks.

Jimlad fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 19, 2011

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Tankobon size manga is alright on 6" ereaders since that format is generally 5"x7". It's stuff from Weekly Shonen Jump and the like that stuff gets really hard to read.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I'm thinking of getting a Kindle. I'm currently in Korea but will be heading back to the UK in March. Is there any difference between one that a friend might be able to pick up for me from the US and one that I would buy in the UK? Is there any difference in Whispernet accessibility? Someone a few pages back mentioned that their US kindle couldn't get 3G in Germany which surprised me.

I'm going to need to be able to use the Kindle when camping and it'll spend the day in my bag. Which case and light is good for that? A quick look seems to suggest that the Kindle 3G is $189.99 and then a case with light is $60 or so which seems slightly ridiculous but I assume essential.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Tankobon size manga is alright on 6" ereaders since that format is generally 5"x7". It's stuff from Weekly Shonen Jump and the like that stuff gets really hard to read.

Actually, I put the weekly jump stuff right on there and I'm happy with it. Maybe I'm just willing to put up with more than others, who knows. I read it all in landscape and that definitely helps.

EDIT: Here are a couple of photos of what a typical page looks like on my reader. I know this sort of thing would have been useful to me when I was researching. The image on the actual reader appears a bit sharper than in the photos though, maybe the focus was a little out or something.

Click here for the full 1920x1080 image.

(If these count as "image piracy" or whatever, let me know and I'll take 'em down.)

Jimlad fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 19, 2011

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Thank you all for your advice. I've borrowed a 6" Kindle 2 from family, and will be experimenting with Mangle, Manga2Ebook and Calibre over the next few days before deciding whether to get a 6" Kindle 3, 9.7" Kindle DX, or something else.

Oh and thedouche - no thank you, I've tried a netbook for manga reading before, it's a bit of a pain as the things are heavier and more awkward to use due to the keyboard half of the device. I'd much rather have a dedicated device, especially one with e-ink instead of a LCD screen. :)

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

*snip*

Also, I have the non lit amazon cover. How do I get in on the recall?

Ghostnuke fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 19, 2011

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

Ghostnuke posted:

I know this is from forever ago, but how long did it take you to get yours? I ordered one over three weeks ago and still haven't gotten it.

Also, I have the non lit amazon cover. How do I get in on the recall?

It's not an outright recall. People have just been getting some crediting when they call Amazon to complain about rebooting caused by the cases.

I even tried by email, but they require a phone call. I'm going to call later today.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

FidgetyRat posted:

It's not an outright recall. People have just been getting some crediting when they call Amazon to complain about rebooting caused by the cases.

I even tried by email, but they require a phone call. I'm going to call later today.

My GF called, they refunded her the price of the case plus shipping and an extra $25 bucks. Took 2 minutes.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

So I have a US Kindle, but plan to move to the Netherlands soon.
Will I still get free delivery, or do I need to change something?
I don't mind paying the local price for a book, but I don't really want to pay extra charges for downloading a book.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Jimlad posted:

Actually, I put the weekly jump stuff right on there and I'm happy with it. Maybe I'm just willing to put up with more than others, who knows. I read it all in landscape and that definitely helps.

EDIT: Here are a couple of photos of what a typical page looks like on my reader. I know this sort of thing would have been useful to me when I was researching. The image on the actual reader appears a bit sharper than in the photos though, maybe the focus was a little out or something.

(If these count as "image piracy" or whatever, let me know and I'll take 'em down.)

Viewing in landscape is a solution, but my comments were toward reading in portrait. I'm not a big fan of landscape as it doesn't feel right in my hands because of the page buttons.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

OperaMouse posted:

So I have a US Kindle, but plan to move to the Netherlands soon.
Will I still get free delivery, or do I need to change something?
I don't mind paying the local price for a book, but I don't really want to pay extra charges for downloading a book.

You are gonna have to change the country to Netherlands in the Manage Your Kindle webpage, I had it set to US while leaving in Venezuela and I got an email from Amazon after I bought a few books. They mostly care about publishing rights and some books are not available everywhere. Delivery it's still free.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Viewing in landscape is a solution, but my comments were toward reading in portrait. I'm not a big fan of landscape as it doesn't feel right in my hands because of the page buttons.

You mean it's uncomfortable to hold because the buttons or there, or it's uncomfortable pushing the buttons? If the latter, I don't really use the page buttons anyway; the Sony is touch screen so you just brush the screen to turn pages.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Jimlad posted:

You mean it's uncomfortable to hold because the buttons or there, or it's uncomfortable pushing the buttons? If the latter, I don't really use the page buttons anyway; the Sony is touch screen so you just brush the screen to turn pages.

Yeah, Kindle doesn't do that. The buttons are the edges of the bezel.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Sad Panda posted:

Someone a few pages back mentioned that their US kindle couldn't get 3G in Germany which surprised me.

The original Kindle 2 used CDMA on Sprint's network in the US and didn't work overseas at all. For later versions of the Kindle 2 and the Kindle 3 Amazon changed the Kindle to use GSM which does work overseas. There should be no difference in a new Kindle 3 purchased in the US vs outside the US.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

This poo poo is inexcusable. Why are publishing companies such dicks? I would gladly shell out ten or even twelve bucks for a digital copy. But no. Nineteen. Nineteen whole loving dollars as opposed to the paperback's ten or the goddamn hardcover which is seventeen. gently caress penguin, I'm buying it second hand.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
That is pretty hosed up :tizzy:

I kinda wince at the ebook prices when they are over :10bux: but it's still buyable when it's around 10-12. Having something cost MORE than the hardcover is just asking for it not to sell well, or to be :yarr:

Still, it is nice to see that publishers being retarded isn't enough to kill the ebook industry :unsmith:

Sort of on the same tangent, I was really surprised to find out that a lot of the books I wanted to buy weren't available as ebooks, but the used book prices on amazon had a few that were prime eligible! Kinda awesome, but I still got raped on shipping charges for the others I bought. loving 3.99 shipping PER BOOK is retarded. It's even worse when you find out that 2 or 3 of the books you order COME FROM THE SAME SHIPPER. One of these days I am gonna have to go to the local used book store and see if I can get some of these guys ordered there. Can't be any more expensive than this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

El Hefe posted:

You are gonna have to change the country to Netherlands in the Manage Your Kindle webpage, I had it set to US while leaving in Venezuela and I got an email from Amazon after I bought a few books. They mostly care about publishing rights and some books are not available everywhere. Delivery it's still free.

This isn't necessarily true. I've never used my US Kindle outside of Japan (had it since August or whenever it was released), my country is still registered as the US, and they've never done anything about it. I'm using a US credit card to pay, though (which is great because the USD is terrible).

edit: And to answer the actual question, there are no extra fees if it's set to US except on periodicals and personal document conversion, which you get destroyed on. Just set the maximum charge to $0 in your settings and don't get the official periodicals.

If you set it to another country, they tack a couple dollars onto book prices to cover "roaming fees", even if you don't have 3G.

Ara fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jan 20, 2011