Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Samopsa posted:

1. The power recirculator is a passive aug in the base game. It only activates when it actually saves power. It might have been patched in though.

If that's the case it was definitely patched in at some point; when I played, it had to be explicitly turned on, and if you turned it on with nothing else running it would slowly drain power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes
I think shifter or biomod changed it so power recirculator automatically turns on when you activate another aug. It definitely doesn't do it in any version of vanilla DX

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Correct. It's a mod.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Samopsa posted:

1. The power recirculator is a passive aug in the base game. It only activates when it actually saves power. It might have been patched in though.

I'm running the game through Steam with the latest patch, and it is most definitely not passive. It needs to be turned on explicitly, and the description even says "Uses 10 energy/minute."

Samopsa posted:

2. The speed aug is really amazing to use in your first game, and totally not useless.

I actually had a line in my post describing how the only augs I was using were the Speed, Regen, and Environmental Resistance. Those, though, so sparingly that I usually have a lot of extra power cells. I took the line out because I didn't think it was relevant to my overall point.

Samopsa posted:

3. Same with regeneration, ballistic armor, strength aug. They are really no-brainers (run up to a firefight, switch on regen/armor/strength and kill em all with the DTS/baton :black101: )

I had a ton of fun with augs in my first run. Yes, you can do it boring sneakystyle and not use them and silently kill everyone, but that's quite boring. Deus Ex is one of the few shooter/rpg's where you feel like a wuss at the start and a god at the end, without truly breaking.

To be clear, I'm having fun. I'm using augs. It's just that since I don't know how long it might be until I find more bio cells, encounter a repair bot, or how many enemies I might have to go through to get to a bio cell or repair bot I end up being overly conservative about energy usage. I don't want to get myself into a situation where I'm really going to wish I had some energy left, and there's no way to know when that might happen because I haven't played the game before.

I have the same thing happening with skill points actually. I horde them until I actually need the benefit that levelling up a skill would give me. Because of that, I'm usually floating about 4000 skill points because I don't really know how much more of the game there is, how many more skill points I'm going to be getting, or what skills are going to be more important than others. This hasn't stopped me from maxing pistol skill and raising electronics/lock picking to a reasonable level, though.

This sort of problem is not limited to Deus Ex, though. It's another version of the JRPG item problem. A player playing the game for their first time never really knows if a situation is important enough to justify using an item that may end up only being available in limited quantities. So the only items players tend to use in JRPG's on their first play-throughs are ones with supplies that are functionally infinite; i.e. you can buy infinite numbers of them from item shops because you can keep going through an infinite series of battles to keep gaining money.

What makes Deus Ex different or more maddening is that it is a deterministic game. There is no random loot. There are no randomly-appearing or endless waves of enemies. There are a finite number of bio cells in the game. There is a finite amount of money. There is a finite amount of energy a player can use over the course of the game. There are a finite number of skill points. This creates myriad economic concerns that a first-time player has no hope of ever solving because of the informational problems.

This problem is a large part of the reason so many games have rid themselves of consumables. It's impossible to give the player reasonable economics-type information about how or when to use consumables without spoiling the game. So games started to put things on cool down timers instead of hard capping the flat number of times a player could use a skill or item. This allows players to experiment without ever accidentally screwing themselves over. This allows many player benefits to be functionally infinite while preventing the player from unbalancing the game by receiving any one benefit constantly. It also gives designers a lot more certainty about the set of tools the player is going to have available to them at certain points in the game.

What usually ends up happening with these situations is that game balance is thrown off one way or another in order to compensate for the informational problems. The number of things like bio cells in the game is adjusted so that the average player will find an appropriate number of them over the course of the average play through. So there's a certain number of bio cells or repair bots put in plain site so that it can be expected that the average player will have gotten them. This has the side effect of sometimes making the game really easy for other, less average, players who spend a lot of time exploring or looting. These less average players end up swimming in consumables and then disappointed that the game isn't challenging anymore.

The amazing thing about Deus Ex to me is how difficult they've made it to get truly stuck while not making it obvious that it's hard to get stuck. They didn't fall into the trap that, for instance, Fallout 3 did where nearly every single safe has a computer next to it that can unlock the safe. Then if you're a real power gamer you can get experience for picking the lock, grab the loot, and then get experience for hacking the computer. Deus Ex prevented that experience point bloat by just tying experience to very key events(no matter what brought those events on) and locations. The reason I think people like Deus Ex so much is that the level design and skill point system do a good job of smoothing over a lot of the systemic problems, such as ones I've described here, that existed with common game design elements of that era.

That's actually why there have been very few games that have ever successfully reproduced the Deus Ex formula. It's very easy to replicate the formula of skill points + consumables + health + energy + augs, but very difficult to design levels to solve the problems that come along with that formula. Interestingly, I think Crysis actually comes the closest of any game since Deus Ex. Alpha Protocol might also, but I haven't played it.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 17, 2011

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Are there any mods that make bioenergy slowly regenerate over time? Can I edit some ini file and make bioenergy behave like this?

Shifter already does this with health, right? Wouldn't it stand to reason the same could be done with bioenergy?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
I believe you can regen bioenergy in water with the right skill/aug in biomod.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah, BioMod has the aqualung mod not only let you breathe underwater, but also regenerate bioenergy.

If you want to add this as a permanent thing, ini editing won't cut it - you'd need to create a mod using UnrealEd.

Apathy0o0
Jul 9, 2004
Fire is my friend
Hey i'm trying to get this working on my current computer since I havn't played Deus Ex in like two years (far too long). I have installed the updated executable for compatibility, but cannot click on any of the menu buttons for some reason. What am i doing wrong?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I just made this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZawy1gIN1o

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Hogburto posted:

I believe you can regen bioenergy in water with the right skill/aug in biomod.

Some guy on the gamespy forums asked the same question, and a guy named The_Smike replied with this...

The_Smike posted:

* mmm-hmm *

I remember doing this years ago. MANY years ago. It was pie - I remember because, like so many such modifications we made early on, you literally just delete part of what they added to 112.

if (Energy < MaxRegenPoint)
{
energyRegen = RegenRate * deltaTime;
Energy += energyRegen;
}

Take it away DDL, deusexplayer of course - search for "regen" for all the properties, and make sure to check the defaults at the bottom.

"RegenRate" is the fun one of course - but, as is completely obvious - this can POTENTIALLY make things WAY too easy - so do be careful.

Ultimately, this particular change is best used as PART of a full overhaul of the aug system. Back when we were doing that, I really liked the idea of having near-unlimited use of some combos of elementary augs (like having the option of flashlight and envrio-resist on all the time, for example) and this was one of the things I tried. We kept it, actually, but we're talking about two different games at that point.

The point is, Deus Ex - the original untouched game - was obviously solid. Change the gameplay at your own risk.

But, in any case, have fun! ;)

Can anybody make sense out of that?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

Some guy on the gamespy forums asked the same question, and a guy named The_Smike replied with this...

Can anybody make sense out of that?
He's talking about modding, not playing the game.
112 refers to that patch of DX (the last one? don't remember)
ampersandLT is the HTML code for <
The {} brackets after the if statement mean all of that gets done when that if statement is true
+= means the thing on the left's new value is itself plus the thing on the right. "a += b" is the same as "a = a + b"

So what he described...
While your energy is less than a predefined upper limit of how high it will automatically regen, multiply your regen rate by a unit of time and add that to the player's pool of bioenergy.
In other words, "How to have energy regenerate up to 'MaxRegenPoint.'"

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Why would you even want regenerating bio energy? There are so many biocells and repair bots in Deus Ex past the first two levels the idea that you could actually run out seems a bit ridiculous.

Vic posted:

I just made this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZawy1gIN1o

Do you not know about the medibot hidden in the crates near the start?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Here's something that always bugged me. Why do the UNATCO troops have such weird looking eyes? Here's an example:

Click here for the full 700x525 image.

Is this just me interpreting the model in a weird way or are his eyes black? What's up with that?

Also just discovered the Public Hygeine Awareness skill bonus in Shifter + Biomod. Not sure which of the two mods added that in, but it was awesome. If you're seriously not picking up Biomod because you get skill points for kills, then you suck. The only issue I have with Shifter is the unique weapons. You get Paul's Blackjack early on and you can use it to bust down doors that you're either supposed to be lockpicking or blowing up. However if you just use self-control and not use it that way then it isn't an issue.

also:

Vic posted:

I just made this:

No video I have ever seen has captured the Deus Ex experience so succinctly. Well done sir.

K8.0 posted:

GOD I love this game. It took me several playthroughs to find that bot. Just another example of cool little hidden things that people might not notice the first time around. Hong Kong is filled with areas like this. FILLED.

I've even noticed some new areas on the playthrough I'm doing right now. I found a new hidden room in the NSF airfield mission that had an aug upgrade canister along with a bunch of weapons. I also found for the first time a ladder that lets you jump around on top of the crates and get cool items in the airfield itself.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 18, 2011

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

K8.0 posted:

Why would you even want regenerating bio energy? There are so many biocells and repair bots in Deus Ex past the first two levels the idea that you could actually run out seems a bit ridiculous.

I was too busy being badass. I know about the medibot hidden in the crates AND the repair bot hidden in the crates.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Vic posted:

I was too busy being badass. I know about the medibot hidden in the crates

Oh, well good

Vic posted:

AND the repair bot hidden in the crates.

WHAT

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
I don't know about either... explain!? :f5:

Also, does Biomod work with Deus Ex: HDTP?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Let me demonstrate shortly... give me just a few minutes

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Okay sorry my bad it was another med bot. Still I don't think many people know about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OvDz8NqyrI

EDIT: Sorry about the doublepost

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

StickySweater posted:

I don't know about either... explain!? :f5:

Also, does Biomod work with Deus Ex: HDTP?

Yes, but if you're looking for texture mods, you should be using New Vision. And if you have a good computer then you should also be using ENBseries. You really do need a good computer for it. I'm using a triple core CPU and an onboard Radeon HD4200 and it really chugs. As far as I can tell HDTP just upgrades crates and your hand in first person view (and it looks awful too)

Just read this for instructions on what to do.

Vic posted:

Okay sorry my bad it was another med bot. Still I don't think many people know about it.

Dude.

Mind blown once again.

edit: I almost wish I cared enough to compile a list of little things you might miss. A good example is the backstory Alex gives you if you walk by the destroyed statue head that was in your minimum force approach video.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 18, 2011

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Here's something that always bugged me. Why do the UNATCO troops have such weird looking eyes?

It doesn't seem like there's enough resolution in the texture to be able to really tell for sure. All Deus Ex characters have weird eyes.

Anyone else hate when people try to update games with newer higher-resolution textures? It gives me headaches because of the weird dissonance that happens with super low-poly models having high-res textures. I also hate how a lot of the texture packs never seem as cohesive as the stuff that was in the base game.

The only time I've ever kind of liked it is when somebody realized that some of the Vice City models and textures came from the same library as what was shipped with Far Cry. So they were able to take all the stupidly high-res stuff from Far Cry, and then apply a lot of it to Vice City. Most of it was environmental stuff like trees.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Vic posted:

:aaaaa:

I never, ever would have thought to look there for anything, even though it's marked. Is this only in a mod, or was it in vanilla?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Ugly In The Morning posted:

:aaaaa:

I never, ever would have thought to look there for anything, even though it's marked. Is this only in a mod, or was it in vanilla?

It's in vanilla. There's also another one in a similarly looking crate directly to your left as SOON as you exit the dock in the beginning.

edit: just thought of another little thing I love about Deus Ex: alt commands. Any time you are in a menu or whatever and you see a word that has one letter underlined in it, you can press that button by pressing alt+whatever the underlined letter is. For example, you just opened a computer... press alt+h to hack it. alt+c to close it. Or you just hacked an ATM. alt+w to withdraw, then alt+c to close. Such a small thing yet I use it all the time.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 18, 2011

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I think the only thing I would really want that would "modernize" Deus Ex would be better combat. By that, I mean better weapon models, animations, explosion effects, sound effects, and maybe some really well done havok physics for when you kill or knock people unconscious. If not havok physics, then some better and more varied death animations would work.

vvv basically, yeah. The same old "fall to knees, then on face" death animation is getting old now, and there's just no oomph to the weapons in DX. I still think the levels, boxy as they may be, are fine though.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 18, 2011

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

GreatGreen posted:

I think the only thing I would really want that would "modernize" Deus Ex would be better combat. By that, I mean better weapon models, animations, and sound effects, and maybe some really well done havok physics for when you kill or knock people unconscious.

Like if they made Deus in a combination of the Hitman and Thief engines? You could do crazy stupid poo poo with the physics engine in Hitman 2.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Okay this thing gave me an idea. I was looking for a let's play of Deus Ex in the lparchive and found nothing. Apparently one was already done, but it's in the forum archives which I don't have access to so I don't know what the deal is.

Anyway I'm tempted to do another one with a twist - but I'm not sure what the twist would be yet. I'm looking for something that would be fun to watch. "Nobody must see you" playthrough would be kinda painful as I'd have to wait around a lot.

Yeah or Nah?

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Personally, I find the philosophical discussions in Deus Ex to be one of the more compelling aspects of the game. For me, thats what makes the game the greatest game ever and not just a good game for its time. I'm not coming at it from a nostalgic point of view either, I first played it about a year ago. Anything that promotes a furtherance of those discussions is worthy in my view.

By the way, here is the first video on the Deus Ex Lets Play. Listening to a few minutes of it... sounds pretty funny.

http://blip.tv/file/3732370

Also good: http://tindeck.com/listen/xlzy

Really, you should get archives for this.

StickySweater fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 18, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

ErIog posted:

It doesn't seem like there's enough resolution in the texture to be able to really tell for sure. All Deus Ex characters have weird eyes.

Yeah but their eyes are black with white pupils. Nobody else has eyes like that afaik

fake edit: just got to the part where you choose to save Paul. I never thought much of it before, but I think it's pretty funny the way the conversation goes.

"Come on, let's escape out the window"
"No, you go, I can't manage the climb." *proceeds to waste the gently caress out of a hotel filled with heavily armed men*

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Vic posted:

Okay this thing gave me an idea. I was looking for a let's play of Deus Ex in the lparchive and found nothing. Apparently one was already done, but it's in the forum archives which I don't have access to so I don't know what the deal is.
I checked up on GetWellGamers' LP and apparently the images are down for it so it's not really worth it any more. It was a really good LP, too. :(

A Quiet American
Nov 5, 2008
A little late, but the various feedback on the mods I asked about is much appreciated. Like I said before, I finished my first-ever playthrough of the game a few months ago, despite the fact I got it for free with some components I bought to build my first PC in 2003. I kind of wish someone had told me to suck it up through Liberty Island back then...

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Vic posted:

Anyway I'm tempted to do another one with a twist - but I'm not sure what the twist would be yet. I'm looking for something that would be fun to watch. "Nobody must see you" playthrough would be kinda painful as I'd have to wait around a lot.

Yeah or Nah?

All GEP Gun, All The Time.

Actually, that would probably get boring, too. Maybe limit yourself to something like any 2 weapons and any 2 augs? I'd go for the DTS and maybe the silenced pistol. Augs should be Strength to go with the DTS and maybe, um... Regeneration or Night/Sonar Vision?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 18, 2011

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

All GEP Gun, All The Time.

Actually, that would probably get boring, too. Maybe limit yourself to something like any 2 weapons and any 2 augs? I'd go for the DTS and maybe the silenced pistol. Augs should be Strength to go with the DTS and maybe, um... Regeneration or Night/Sonar Vision?

I don't know I was thinking that apparently any one approach when done for too long gets old. How about doing a playthrough making an rear end out of the game as much as possible without actually breaking it. Generally going through it being the biggest rear end in a top hat possible.
Something like this - I love that first level:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCmQtOkU-UA

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Vic posted:

Yeah or Nah?

Melee only, kill everything :q:

[edit] Mine's better vvv

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 19, 2011

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Vic posted:

Melee only, no lethal takedowns.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
On of the reasons I like Deus Ex so much is because you can be such an rear end in a top hat and still be within the contexts of the game. Not an rear end in a top hat in the sense of being mean because that's just your character, but in the sense that you can be a completely aloof doofus cock that any normal person would unhesitantly get into a fist fight with in public. No other game does it as well. Sure, you might be able to kill somebody in cold blood in Mass Effect or The Witcher, but can you aggrivate them by throwing a vase from their office at their heads for 15 minutes first while they scream at you to stop screwing around? Can you sit on a literal foot high pile of candybars, eating them one after another, then when a hungry, homeless child asks for some, tell him he'll "be fine" then blow him off and continuing to eat... then shooting him with a tranq gun and throwing his body into the river... and then sit back down to keep on eating?

You just can't do that poo poo anywhere else.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 19, 2011

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I filled people's houses with watermelons in Oblivion. Does that count*?

*probably not

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Doc Hawkins posted:

I filled people's houses with watermelons in Oblivion. Does that count*?

*probably not

I liked attempting to drag dead bodies into a proper seated position at a table and then arranging a little meal for them. Of course, item placement was a little sloppy, so my spreads were always shamefully untidy.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That isn't assholish behavior, that is sociopathic behavior

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

tentaclesex posted:

I liked attempting to drag dead bodies into a proper seated position at a table and then arranging a little meal for them. Of course, item placement was a little sloppy, so my spreads were always shamefully untidy.
If this was the whole game, I'd play it.

Smellem Sexbad
Sep 16, 2003
I finally got around to playing through DX, not sure why it took me so long to do since i loved the demo and system shock 2 when they came out.

Highlights: Random unatco goons walking into explosive / gas barrels and just destroying them with their endless walking.

Hitting an elevator switch, peering over the edge to see where it was, only to have it come down from above and crush me.

Opening the secret stone door in the Duclare mansion, getting distracted and not going through it, then returning to the door to see it closing and attempting to crouch under. It crushed me to death. What a shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
The physics in DX are sometimes AWESOME. The all-crushing doors are amazing, as are npc's who waltz trough everything. It's also awesome that you can make npc's open locked doors by alerting them from the other side (don't forget to put a crate of BOOM in front of the door!).