Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrbucket
Nov 11, 2004

aaag armrest

flyboi posted:

yo first time cat owner - i suggest getting an older cat. not many are given chances because everyone goes OMG KITTENS! and they are super chillax and awesome. you also don't have to deal with a kitten because they're ASSHOLES growing up and will test your patience like a toddler.

my first cat i adopted was 13 and only lived 3 years but gently caress was he awesome and chillax as hell. he'd just chill out on top of my crt all day and be like "sup dawg, internettin? sweet. turn that huge rear end heater on for me tia"

then i got a kitten and hated life. our neighbors stole the fucker from me and told me it had been run over :saddowns:. so then i got a 4 year old cat and she is gizmo and is awesome and has been 100% indoors

i adopt cats >1year problem solved. kittens can be dicks but'
cats
now theres the ticket

:smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

dee eight posted:

I took the cat and said, "Yeah, old age, you rear end in a top hat."
:hellyeah:

That was one righteous story bro. I'm a little misty myself.

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

For my first cat I went to the shelter and was like "do you have any cats that are old and super chill" and they showed me this one who had the crazy cat parkinsons and I wanted him soooo bad but I could not handle a special needs cat since I was a student and couldn't give him constant care (found out later it probably would've been fine, oh well, I hope you got adopted mister wigglecat)

So instead they were like "well, this one cat came in and he's really nice, we don't have him out on display yet because we like him too much and someone at the shelter might take him. But I guess you can see him."

I was in the little play room with him and he was just rolling around being awesome and I had the adoption paperwork in front of me and he came in and laid on it and started purring super loud and I was like yep, this catte is my bro

About a week after I got him home it turned out he had a head cold that was making him lethargic and once it cleared up he started terrorizing the house and knocking poo poo over and going crazy. We are still bros tho

edit: they found him in a box in a field; whenever he is scared or confused he seeks out the nearest box because I imagine he feels safe there

Aw fuck.
Jun 30, 2007

Using Ubuntu
is awesome
my cat doesnt stand up when i put him down. like he doesn't stick his arms n legs out to prepare to be put down he just flops down. i usually have to put him down on his side and remove my arms like a forklift

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

Jewish Pokemon posted:

my cat doesnt stand up when i put him down. like he doesn't stick his arms n legs out to prepare to be put down he just flops down. i usually have to put him down on his side and remove my arms like a forklift

looolll

My friend has a cat who is super cranky and he snarls and hisses at people and bats at their legs but if you hold him upside down like a baby he immediately starts purring and closes his eyes. If you try to put him down he gets super mad and when he's not being crabby he lays upside down in the cat tree

My theory is that his brain grew in upside down so he's super pissed and disoriented all the time unless he's on his back and then he can relax

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Jewish Pokemon posted:

hehe

i had a cat that would freeze however you put him down for a couple of minutes and then slowly come back to life, like he'd been turned into a statue and was gradually coming out of it. you could talk to him or poke him and he just wouldn't even respond, it was like some weird catatonic (lol) state

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CoupleBeersNoBeers posted:

best ocelot

:ocelot:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

dee eight posted:

Dudley

These are the best words in the cat pic thread.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
New wallpaper

I hope we can put our differences behind us. For Science. You Monster.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Tom Collins posted:

marshmallow

yay! it's been a while since you've posted marshmallow. how is crouton?

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

dee eight posted:

The last time I saw him, I was not quite 40 years old. Dudley had wasted away to practically nothing. He was just a little old man cat with all the mass of a damp comic book. I picked him up gently and put him on the tank of my bike and we went for one last ride, really slow, up the lane and back. I cried like a girl the whole way and Dudley purred.

He died a day or two later and dad buried him under a big cottonwood tree and I hung my biker colors on a branch over his grave.
not gonna lie; teared up like a big baby at this

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

mod sassinator posted:

so i'm thinking maybe in 6 months or so i get a cat

i've never owned a cat before, what's a good cat breed for a first time owner? i want one that's loyal and playful like a dog, not some stuck up bitch. i'm thinking maybe a maine coon or a british shorthair. any advice?

edit:

or

?

Remember that breed descriptions are general and may not represent the demeanor of any one animal. Our British Shorthair is loving, but she's very skittish, doesn't like to be held and will not sit in laps; meanwhile we have a DHS we found on the street and she is just the most clingy, snugglin' cat you've ever seen.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
yeah siamese are universally regarded as assholes but really its down to the individual cat, ive met very nice siamese cats

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

fork bomb posted:

yay! it's been a while since you've posted marshmallow. how is crouton?

fluffy

he was barfing this morning though, in four separate neat little piles

why not just one big pile, idk

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
there were five piles

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

aww yeah im on this burger and shit

Winner of the PWM POTM for March 2012

Tom Collins posted:

fluffy

he was barfing this morning though, in four separate neat little piles

why not just one big pile, idk

even your cat can't keep it concise :xd:

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Atasi posted:

Remember that breed descriptions are general and may not represent the demeanor of any one animal. Our British Shorthair is loving, but she's very skittish, doesn't like to be held and will not sit in laps; meanwhile we have a DHS we found on the street and she is just the most clingy, snugglin' cat you've ever seen.

if i get a scottish fold will it jump in boxes like Maru? this is important, tia.

nail
Jul 15, 2005

first you have to leave him in a box in a field for a couple of months

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
it is not the cat that jumps in the box, but the box that jumps around the cat

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

mod sassinator posted:

it is not the cat that jumps in the box, but the box that jumps around the cat

Imagine that! It never occurred to me to think of SPACE as the thing that was moving!

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

minato posted:

:stare:

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

what kirk said.

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
srs though its cool as hell seeing a cat rip up some flesh

its like ayep ive tamed that wild animal

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
The PetSmart near my house on sundays has the SPCA come in and set up a bunch of cages with their cats that are up for adoption. Definitely see if any of your local big box pet stores do that. Make sure it's the SPCA (the "pound") that hosts it though so you're not buying bred cats.

It's like you come around a corner going to the cat food aisle and BAM, 30 cats all meowing and sleepign and rolling around in cages. That's where I got Esteban. $250 the SPCA wanted for this 4 year old who was "a terror to other cats, doesn't get along with anyone." He had been bounced to Fort Worth, to Denton to finally Dallas.

And they got it! And now he's the tiniest baby kitty ever.

All he wants to do is fight Dogs:

But with cats, all he wants to do is flop over on his side and try to get them to fight him. Since he's much too much of a gentleman to use his size to his advantage.

But really, all he's good for is loving up my photo shoots:

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

dunkman posted:

HEY LADY

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzz8SojS3D8

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

minato posted:

:catstare:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

dunkman posted:

i dont see whats wrong

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

Binary Badger posted:

i dont see whats wrong

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

pik_d posted:

there were five piles

there were 4 piles labeled 1, 2, 3, and 5 :xd:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Official Carrier of the Neil Bush Torch

dunkman posted:

these are all great pictures of cats, i dont understand what the issue here is

nail
Jul 15, 2005

dunkman posted:

efb, but yeah, i think you mean "improving"

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

dunkman posted:

i think the cat is wondering why this woman has a vinyl record when clearly she has no record player

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Official Carrier of the Neil Bush Torch

minato posted:

hearts are really super-tough and hard to eat, might as well eat a belt

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

rotor posted:

hearts are really super-tough and hard to eat, might as well eat a belt

i'm going to assume that belt eating is the reason folks in your age group wore an onion on there

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

aww yeah im on this burger and shit

Winner of the PWM POTM for March 2012

Tom Collins posted:

i'm going to assume that belt eating is the reason folks in your age group wore an onion on there

that's the best episode

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

minato posted:

Francis Bacon's kittens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigel Danvers
Oct 29, 2009

dunkman posted:

wait, do you mean you're not charging extra using Esteban in a shoot?
his time isn't free you know, got a lot of important cat business to be doing and he takes time out to do a shoot with the client.