Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

That's either an immaculate troll or something far worse than my mind can comprehend.

AVAILABLE ON ITUNES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
^^ - the dude used to be a part of a terrible rap trio like 3 years ago and I can't remember what loving horrible thing he did, but now he's super into jesus

It's called a J-Body for a reason.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Mutley posted:

Fantastic in car video of the Nurburgring from the 1967 F1. Trees lining the course, no crash barriers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6aNnZ4q80s

Comedy stiff upper lip BBC narration tops it off.

It's really bizarre seeing such basic stuff for suspension in old F1 cars.

Phone posted:

^^ - the dude used to be a part of a terrible rap trio like 3 years ago and I can't remember what loving horrible thing he did, but now he's super into jesus

It's called a J-Body for a reason.

Icy hot stuntaz.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
Since we're talking vintage Nurburgring,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xwc54G2Ur8

Early 70's were not a prime time for automotive safety, and many people still believed it was better to be thrown from the car in a collision.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

einTier posted:

Since we're talking vintage Nurburgring,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xwc54G2Ur8

Early 70's were not a prime time for automotive safety, and many people still believed it was better to be thrown from the car in a collision.

What's the story here? Something on the track? Just looks like a lot of people completely blowing it right there.

Either that or it's just a bunch of people going too fast their first day on the track.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Dave Inc. posted:

What's the story here? Something on the track? Just looks like a lot of people completely blowing it right there.

Either that or it's just a bunch of people going too fast their first day on the track.
The Nurburgring is dangerous, cars in the 70's were unsafe, and driver training probably nonexistent. Witch's brew of badness right there.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

einTier posted:

The Nurburgring is dangerous, cars in the 70's were unsafe, and driver training probably nonexistent. Witch's brew of badness right there.

Sounds about right, from a few shots with two cars sliding at the same time it looked like there just had to be some sort of spill on the track.

I like the guy in the 914 at 6:20 though, does exactly the right thing when he realizes that he's going too fast for the turn.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
That pavement looks brand new too so I wouldn't be surprised if that was a changed section on top of the other reasons.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Dave Inc. posted:

Most of the footage is on the same S-turn -which is at the end of a long strait- that I always forget is there and wreck on in Forza 3 :downs:

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

The Casualty posted:

Most of the footage is on the same S-turn -which is at the end of a long strait- that I always forget is there and wreck on in Forza 3 :downs:

I was thinking it was the chicane immediately after the fox-hole. So hard to tell since I've never seen the track from that angle.

Outlet
Jun 28, 2010
I like how all of the beetle drivers have backseats full of garbage that turn into projectiles when they invariably tip over.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I like the second car from the start - it's pretty clear he's taking the whole family for a spin. There's a blond haired kid in the back.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
it's awful how many dudes fly into the sand trap and instead of just stopping think I GOT THIS, BITCHES COME and then loving roll over trying to get back onto the track

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Dave Inc. posted:

That turn is coming uphill into a left that doesn't look as sharp as it is. Once they get to it they see that its pretty tight and they're going too fast for it.

Also, holy poo poo the convertible beetle with 4 people in it, that could have been bad.

Its the turn here at 2:45. You can kind of see how it looks more of a shallow turn due to the crown of the road, but once you go up it you see the outer edge almost perpendicular to you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWjMvrkUqX0&t=164s

Ah better example here at 2:00. See one car in front of the guy nearly lose it at the turn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkDG1E64s1c&t=120s

Longpig Bard fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 17, 2011

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Scrambles posted:

it's awful how many dudes fly into the sand trap and instead of just stopping think I GOT THIS, BITCHES COME and then loving roll over trying to get back onto the track
That's exactly why we extensively cover it in our track school. Most one car rollovers happen because someone's trying to be a hero. Once you realize you've gone off the black and onto the green, you keep the car straight, slow down, and once you've regained control at a much slower speed, you slowly go back on track.

The guy at 6:20 shows exactly how it should be done. It's not showy, it's not flashy, and he loses a lot of time, but he also stays upright and suffers zero real damage to the vehicle. I might cut this video to show at future track days.

The corner is Adenauer Forst, by the way. It's about a third of the way around the Nordschleife.

[edit]
The car at 0:28 is particularly terrifying. The girl hangs halfway out of the window, obviously hits her head on the pavement and just stays there limply until the driver pulls her back inside the car. I'm pretty sure she wasn't ok.

einTier fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 17, 2011

teh jhey
May 23, 2004

Kitty needs more souls.

einTier posted:

[edit]
The car at 0:28 is particularly terrifying. The girl hangs halfway out of the window, obviously hits her head on the pavement and just stays there limply until the driver pulls her back inside the car. I'm pretty sure she wasn't ok.

:stare:

She also hits her head on the the door frame as she's getting pulled in.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I find it shocking that people didn't see an obvious advantage to seatbelts even besides the fact that they keep you in the car in the event of accident -- namely, that when you take a very tight corner fast they keep you in front of the steering wheel.

Blinky Blinkerson
May 9, 2006
how about a 917 that hasn't been started in 30 years ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU0r99fyD0U&feature=related

and how about a 20 part series of restoring said 917

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaUHZQoG2BY&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

D. melanogaster
Jun 27, 2003

is one of the most studied organisms in biological research, particularly in genetics and developmental biology.

Blinky Blinkerson posted:

how about a 917 that hasn't been started in 30 years ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU0r99fyD0U&feature=related

and how about a 20 part series of restoring said 917

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaUHZQoG2BY&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Dat exhaust note. :stare:

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma

el topo posted:

I find it shocking that people didn't see an obvious advantage to seatbelts even besides the fact that they keep you in the car in the event of accident -- namely, that when you take a very tight corner fast they keep you in front of the steering wheel.

Im old, and I remember those days. Things were different. People drive differently now, and think differently now. Back then you expected that you would not get in an accident, and a seatbelt was unnecessary and a hassle, heck they will wrinkle your clothes too (back then respectable people had to iron their clothes).

It sounds pretty stupid these days, but it is true that folks would refuse to wear a seatbelt because they didnt want to wrinkle their clothes. I remember the time my baby sitters (when I was like 5 years old) face hit the windshield in a low speed impact (2 cars making left turns in an intersection). She said said she didnt want her dress to get wrinkled, and did not put her seatbelt on, and her face put a crack in the windshield of my moms corvair.

Peoples perceptions were different, and people behaved differently, and cars are a lot less dangerous now.

teh jhey
May 23, 2004

Kitty needs more souls.

el topo posted:

I find it shocking that people didn't see an obvious advantage to seatbelts even besides the fact that they keep you in the car in the event of accident

I still have trouble convincing my backseat passengers of this.

Jvs_NZ
Mar 29, 2008

hippynerd posted:

Im old, and I remember those days. Things were different. People drive differently now, and think differently now. Back then you expected that you would not get in an accident, and a seatbelt was unnecessary and a hassle, heck they will wrinkle your clothes too (back then respectable people had to iron their clothes).

It sounds pretty stupid these days, but it is true that folks would refuse to wear a seatbelt because they didnt want to wrinkle their clothes. I remember the time my baby sitters (when I was like 5 years old) face hit the windshield in a low speed impact (2 cars making left turns in an intersection). She said said she didnt want her dress to get wrinkled, and did not put her seatbelt on, and her face put a crack in the windshield of my moms corvair.

Peoples perceptions were different, and people behaved differently, and cars are a lot less dangerous now.

Yup - also a lot of drivers in those days (and some stupid ones now) take the passenger putting on a seatbelt as an insult to their driving ability, so people didn't wear seatbelts so they wouldn't insult the driver.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
new mustang 5.0-powered Cobra kit car: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSlHi7b0rwk

:rock:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

hippynerd posted:

I remember the time my baby sitters (when I was like 5 years old) face hit the windshield in a low speed impact (2 cars making left turns in an intersection). She said said she didnt want her dress to get wrinkled, and did not put her seatbelt on, and her face put a crack in the windshield of my moms corvair.

That happened to me once. Well, not the dress part. Didn't feel a thing, then or later.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Jvs_NZ posted:

Yup - also a lot of drivers in those days (and some stupid ones now) take the passenger putting on a seatbelt as an insult to their driving ability, so people didn't wear seatbelts so they wouldn't insult the driver.

I knew a guy like that once. He didn't think it mattered that he had totalled his BMW twice in 5 years.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Jvs_NZ posted:

It's ridiculous what stupid lengths people will go to in order to avoid bruising someones overinflated ego and imagined sense of self-worth.

My car does not move an inch until everyone is buckled up, even if I'm not driving it myself. If anyone tries to complain they can STFU and buckle up or get out and walk.

My dad didn't wear a seatbelt for a long long time. When I was about 12 I started bugging him about it every single time we drove somewhere, but it took a heart attack and a brain tumor for him to come face to face with mortality and finally buckle up by himself.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

My cousin has the same stupid "seatbelts kill people" idea. I thought he was joking when he first said it but nope, that's what he believes.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

The Third Man posted:

new mustang 5.0-powered Cobra kit car: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSlHi7b0rwk

The best feeling in the world is setting off a car alarm with your exhaust note :coal:

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Clank posted:

My cousin has the same stupid "seatbelts kill people" idea. I thought he was joking when he first said it but nope, that's what he believes.
There was also this idea that seatbelts tended to lock up after a collision and trap you in the car. Many people I knew said something along the lines of, "I'd much rather be thrown from the car in a collision. I don't want to be trapped in it and burn to death."

I distinctly remember one of the seat belt ads of my youth trying to dispel this notion that it was better to be thrown.

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma

einTier posted:

There was also this idea that seatbelts tended to lock up after a collision and trap you in the car. Many people I knew said something along the lines of, "I'd much rather be thrown from the car in a collision. I don't want to be trapped in it and burn to death."

I distinctly remember one of the seat belt ads of my youth trying to dispel this notion that it was better to be thrown.

I know of one situation where it was better to be thrown. In this case The person thrown from the vehicle (at 70mph) got a few scrapes, but nothing serious. The passenger was pouring himself a shot of moonshine from a jug, and was slouching in the seat (but wearing the seatbelt). The driver did not have any idea how he left the vehicle, he thinks the window was up, but cant remember for certain, as he was drunk at the time. The passenger stayed with the vehicle, but because he was slouching in his seat, the seatbelt dug up under his ribs, and bruised his liver and or other internal organs. The driver recovered in a couple days, the passenger recovered, but was bed ridden for several months after the accident.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

hippynerd posted:

I know of one situation where it was better to be thrown. In this case The person thrown from the vehicle (at 70mph) got a few scrapes, but nothing serious. The passenger was pouring himself a shot of moonshine from a jug, and was slouching in the seat (but wearing the seatbelt). The driver did not have any idea how he left the vehicle, he thinks the window was up, but cant remember for certain, as he was drunk at the time. The passenger stayed with the vehicle, but because he was slouching in his seat, the seatbelt dug up under his ribs, and bruised his liver and or other internal organs. The driver recovered in a couple days, the passenger recovered, but was bed ridden for several months after the accident.

Clearly the problem here was the seatbelt. Clearly.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

hippynerd posted:

And these are exactly the kinds of accidents where people said, "see, it's better to not wear a seat belt."

I'm sure if we spent enough time, we could come up with dozens of examples just like this one. At the same time, if we spent the same amount of time coming up with examples where the inverse was true -- it's a good thing they were wearing their seat belt -- we'll come up with thousands, if not tens or hundreds of thousands.

mykel
Aug 27, 2006

Let it bleep.
A smart friend in high school claimed that seat belts were redundant because of the airbag. Failing, of course, to note that the seatbelt prevents your face/body from slamming into the steering wheel at the instant that the airbag shoots out.

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma

einTier posted:

And these are exactly the kinds of accidents where people said, "see, it's better to not wear a seat belt."

I'm sure if we spent enough time, we could come up with dozens of examples just like this one. At the same time, if we spent the same amount of time coming up with examples where the inverse was true -- it's a good thing they were wearing their seat belt -- we'll come up with thousands, if not tens or hundreds of thousands.

Oh, its pretty rare that you are better off w/out the seatbelt. This was the only time I've ever heard of anyone being better off w/out the seatbelt.

I've heard other arguments, but even in those situations, without the seatbelt on, you would be dead or injured beyond ability to extract yourself from the vehicle.

The best one I've heard was "Ice Road Truckers" and I have to say I'd have to reconsider wearing the seatbelt, if I was the only one on the road, and the road was likely to open up into a watery grave.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Plus, they go like 40 mph tops.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

It helps that in a hugely heavy vehicle, you're going to experience a lot less force hitting a 1.5 ton car than if you're also in a 1.5 ton car. I'm guessing a lot of semi vs car accidents, the driver of the semi is probably feeling a lot better than the guy in the car.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

The Third Man posted:

don't mind the moonspeak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgU023Yxy5s

there's a full article on this car in the most recent Hot Rod

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Related video has the most accurate title I've seen on Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K69TcoMCKhw

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

hippynerd posted:

The passenger stayed with the vehicle, but because he was slouching in his seat, the seatbelt dug up under his ribs, and bruised his liver and or other internal organs.

Probably no more than if he got a shot of that moonshine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma

Uthor posted:

Probably no more than if he got a shot of that moonshine.

Oh, he got a shot of that moonshine alright. It was a gallon jug, he had many shots to the liver that night.