Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Decius posted:

Although calling the stuff the Jedis wear in the PT uniform is a bit much anyway, since everyone wears very different style of robes.

I don't see why they would necessarily all wear the same color/style of robes. There's nothing in the Jedi code barring individuality, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I think it's just religious icons, in a lot of religions all members of the clergy dress the same, with slight adjustments befitting "rank". It's not true of all religions but it makes sense.

While them wearing robes into combat is stupid, I dont think it's a valid point for them not wearing them the rest of the time.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director

feedmyleg posted:

Well I don't think you're going to make much money as a moisture farmer on the Mon Calamari homeworld.

If you can make a reasonable amount of money selling 'moisture' on a desert planet why didn't Han Solo just pay Jabba back in bottled water he picked up from the Mon Calamari homeworld. A couple of jumps, fill up the falcon with cargo and jump back. Boom instant millionare.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
Probably because Jabba is an inter-planetary thug, and water is basically worthless on any other world. There's nothing like the feel of cold hard coin in your flabby, sliming mit.

RagnarokAngel posted:

I think it's just religious icons, in a lot of religions all members of the clergy dress the same, with slight adjustments befitting "rank". It's not true of all religions but it makes sense.

While them wearing robes into combat is stupid, I dont think it's a valid point for them not wearing them the rest of the time.
I think the Jedi wear robes thing is valid. They're monks, so will wear plain garments, asnd they have that tabbard-type thing (the two strips of material going down the front. I think even Vader had it on his suit) as a sign that they're Jedi, or Force users.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

KaneOfNod posted:

The real estate's cheaper and taxes are lower near the Jundland Wastes compared Mos Eisley. Of course, there is the Tusken Raider problem.

Also the Wamprat problem. Which wasn't really a problem until someone in the EU decided that Luke was a monster for killing poor defenseless Wamprats and then wrote a book that mentions how there are several different species of Wamprats and the one that Luke shot were so out of control and such a menace that the Governor/Mayor/whoever put out a bounty on Jundland Waste Wamprats of a couple credits a head, so Luke continues to be a hero instead of a future serial killer.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Locutus Of Bored posted:

Also the Wamprat problem. Which wasn't really a problem until someone in the EU decided that Luke was a monster for killing poor defenseless Wamprats and then wrote a book that mentions how there are several different species of Wamprats and the one that Luke shot were so out of control and such a menace that the Governor/Mayor/whoever put out a bounty on Jundland Waste Wamprats of a couple credits a head, so Luke continues to be a hero instead of a future serial killer.

You have got to be making GBS threads me. Who wrote this?

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Locutus Of Bored posted:

I prefer the Family Guy justification, to be honest: "There's two suns and no women!"

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

The Neal! posted:

If you can make a reasonable amount of money selling 'moisture' on a desert planet why didn't Han Solo just pay Jabba back in bottled water he picked up from the Mon Calamari homeworld. A couple of jumps, fill up the falcon with cargo and jump back. Boom instant millionare.
Han's debt is implied to be absolutely massive (like, equivalent to tens of millions of dollars), I don't think water is going to cut it in the time he had.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Plus knowing the state of the Falcon, it would have just all leaked out after a couple of parsecs into space.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Slantedfloors posted:

Han's debt is implied to be absolutely massive (like, equivalent to tens of millions of dollars), I don't think water is going to cut it in the time he had.

I think a real world approximation was that Han dumped hundreds of kilos of Cocaine because he thought the heat was on.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

The Neal! posted:

Even in Las Vegas, water is only a tiny fraction of a cent per gallon. It's valuable in large quantities. Not that Star Wars is hard science fiction that worries about this sort of thing, but presumably Owen would have a pipeline run to the Mos Eisely municipal supply and would make his profit from the bulk sale of millions of gallons.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I think a real world approximation was that Han dumped hundreds of kilos of Cocaine because he thought the heat was on.
Cocaine that makes you psychic.

Yeah, water ain't gonna cover that poo poo.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Has Lucas still not retconned the fact that Han Solo was a narcotics smuggler?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

LLJKSiLk posted:

Has Lucas still not retconned the fact that Han Solo was a narcotics smuggler?

In the movies it's never said what he's carried. Sure it's implied to be shifty but it's never said what it was. Lucas honestly doesn't care about anything below his canon (Basically the movies and the clone wars TV series), anytime he "steps on it" is by accident, not deliberate, and he just picks and chooses names like Coruscant.

Also read the title.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
No matter how you spin it, he smuggled illegal poo poo. Illegal enough that he had to dump it, or for that matter make modifications to hide things on his ship in floorboards, etc. That, my friends, is why he's a badass. He's not a cookie cutter good guy or a cookie cutter bad guy. He's straight up a good bad guy (depending on your point of view :monocle:).

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

I think 'Chaotic Neutral' would fit best. Whatever gets him the best outcome.
Why am I such a huge nerd?

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
Well it's something considered illegal by the evil freedom and happiness hating Empire. It could have been a shipment of puppies. Jabba the Hut ran a cuddly baby animal cartel.

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Feasting on the flesh of a recently killed zombie probably wasn't the smartest of moves

Locutus Of Bored posted:

Also the Wamprat problem.

I brought up those facts before along with this one.

quote:

Womp Rats were also very fast and stealthy. They could have had the ability to cloak themselves with the Force since Ki Adi Mundi and Aurra Sing both found out that they could barely sense them with the Force aiding them.

Womp Rats - force sensitive semi confirmed :v:

Han Solo may be the only creature / person in the entire universe not force sensitive.

dialhforhero posted:

No matter how you spin it, he smuggled illegal poo poo. Illegal enough that he had to dump it, or for that matter make modifications to hide things on his ship in floorboards, etc.

quote:

While in the Corporate Sector, the Falcon was damaged after Solo and Chewbacca attempted smuggling weapons to insurgents on Duroon.
Nice a merchant of death, still better than Leia sending heavy arms on a "medical mission"

quote:

After a disastrous incident on Kamar, where Solo and Chewbacca accidentally began a religion (the Cult of Varn) before having to flee with their lives, they returned to the Corporate Sector
Religious genocide hahaha

quote:

Glitterstim played a key role in convincing Bria Tharen to abandon her religious life on Ylesia. She was given a vial of the drug by Han Solo
Not just a smuggler but a dealer too :v:

What is the deal with the Star Wars KOTOR MMO? When is it coming out and how much have they spent on it already?

AcridWhistle fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 18, 2011

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

AcridWhistle posted:

Han Solo may be the only creature / person in the entire universe not force sensitive.

I think one of the first West End Games RPG guides from the late 80s had it so that people like Han Solo and Wedge, while not being Force sensitive as the modern EU would have it, still had some underlying connection with the Force to explain how they were so lucky. But this was back before the modern EU and notions of Jedi when the Force was still an innate mystical thing that anyone could access if they tried hard enough and could meditate/study it deeply enough, rather than an X-Men-like genetic trait as it became in the 90s.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

AcridWhistle posted:

What is the deal with the Star Wars KOTOR MMO? When is it coming out and how much have they spent on it already?
I don't think anyone knows, and tons of money, possibly more than Avatar cost. I personally hope it crashes and burns so they won't try it again. It really sucks that a company that was founded in 1983, didn't make a bad game until 1997, but now struggles to make a good game.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

dialhforhero posted:

No matter how you spin it, he smuggled illegal poo poo. Illegal enough that he had to dump it, or for that matter make modifications to hide things on his ship in floorboards, etc. That, my friends, is why he's a badass. He's not a cookie cutter good guy or a cookie cutter bad guy. He's straight up a good bad guy (depending on your point of view :monocle:).

The proper term is antihero. His heart is always in the right place though, usually. That's why Chewie is there, to give him gruff hard knock advice and make sure he stays clean.

Casimir Radon posted:

I don't think anyone knows, and tons of money, possibly more than Avatar cost. I personally hope it crashes and burns so they won't try it again. It really sucks that a company that was founded in 1983, didn't make a bad game until 1997, but now struggles to make a good game.

Not to white knight for Old Republic but the budget approximation is mostly slander from a disgruntled former EA employee who wasn't even in the same division and attached to projects that had no overlap. Most of the silence surrounding the game is due to the paranoia that Blizzard will steal their ideas. I don't think EA or Lucasfilm would invest that much money in the project either considering how Warhammer Online and Star Wars Galaxies turned out.

EDIT: The division making Old Republic has never made any games before so that shows how much EA cares as well. Not exactly the type of operation you pump Avatar or even Blizzard money into.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 18, 2011

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I still think it's a horrible waste. The whole MMO market seems like it's going to collapse and yet they keep developing the loving things instead of more worthwhile pursuits.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

I still think it's a horrible waste. The whole MMO market seems like it's going to collapse and yet they keep developing the loving things instead of more worthwhile pursuits.

Was there ever an explanation given for why we're getting a MMO instead of KOTOR 3 besides gently caress-yeah-subscriptions-cash-money?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Was there ever an explanation given for why we're getting a MMO instead of KOTOR 3 besides gently caress-yeah-subscriptions-cash-money?
Is KOTOR 2 not reason enough?

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

^^ KotOR 2 was an uinpolished gem. I'm not going to start slinging blame for the bugs and lack of ending, but had they been sorted before it was released, I think it'd have done better than the first one.

AcridWhistle posted:

I've been keeping up with this, and from what I can remember, they're aiming for spring 2012.

In terms of cash, Bioware set up and staffed a whole new studio branch to make the game, have been at it for 2-3 years already, and will be developing it for at least another year on top of that. The team looks to be Bioware's top brass, along with some 'seasoned MMO devs' plus all the other artists, programers, etc. It's safe to say that it's a pretty drat big budget.

Der Luftwaffle posted:

None that imediately spring to mind. The excuse they used when they started development was something like this

quote:

We're not just making KotOR 3, we're making KotOR 4 through 9 as well.
From an artistic perspective, they wanted to tell a bigger and more branching story than they could even begin to fit into a single game, or even a game series. From a financial standpoint; yeah, it's all about the money. There's basically no chance of this being free-to-play, which is a shame. I'd probably play it otherwise.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bene Elim posted:

There's basically no chance of this being free-to-play, which is a shame. I'd probably play it otherwise.

That's not true at all. Many American MMORPGs are starting to lean towards being free with microtransactions for premium content. It might not happen immediately but it probably will when it's not the WoW killer they hope it will be.

The reason why they won't make KotOR3 or any of the other games we want is because Lucasfilm and Lucasarts are run by visionless money men. They have their eyes on the holy grail of the gaming industry but only Blizzard has obtained it. The only thing Lucasarts thinks sells as a property is Lego Star Wars. This might possibly be influenced by their inability to sell off cheap sequels to other properties, like the Dark Forces series, but they need to come up with something new instead of more awful "lightsaber combat" motion control games and Lego Star Wars.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

I'd really go for a new current gen space flight/combat simulator. The closest we have at the moment is the awful space sections from battlefront 2 without going all the way back to X-Wing and TieFighter.

From a financial standpoint I think this makes sense. They could get Star Wars, Flight Sim and action game markets, it'd translate well onto console, AND it'd be their favourite thing; a re-make!

Bene Elim fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 18, 2011

neolithic
Jan 10, 2005

He's a complicated man,
but no one understands
him but his woman.
While not strictly a question or anything, I thought these videos are a bit of a laugh and might provide a talking point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XczClAxhCEM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18O-Rj2MP9Q

Non disclosure agreement?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Actors actually tend to forget a lot of stuff they did so I don't think it's like that. Many hollywood actors have to shoot a scene a ton of times (And then move onto another scene and repeat that till the movies done, possibly more), and often under high stress conditions like little sleep. Add in that this was almost 30 years ago I don't blame him for forgetting a scene that didn't make it into the movie.

Before Fallout 3 came out somebody at comic-con or some convention asked Ron Perlman to say the "the line" from Fallout and he says "Kid what the hell are you talking about?"

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'll never play an MMO, even if they do change the financial model to cut cost. They're still a huge timesink and I have enough trouble keeping on task.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Before Fallout 3 came out somebody at comic-con or some convention asked Ron Perlman to say the "the line" from Fallout and he says "Kid what the hell are you talking about?"
I'm sure actors get tired of nerds thinking they can pull a string and make them say their lines. I seem to recall a thread from a year ago where someone mentioned that Bruce Campbell told some kid "I'm not your loving monkey", after being asked to say some line from Evil Dead.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Honestly I seriously think TOR will be different, all the previews point to it being a KOTOR game with multiplayer. It's very story and cutscene based, with no grinding of quests.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Der Luftwaffle posted:

KOTOR 3 was actually in development for a time, before being canceled:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Knights_of_the_Old_Republic_3

Basically the reason we never saw KOTOR 3 was because LucasArts was going through yet another management crisis.

mango sentinel posted:

Is KOTOR 2 not reason enough?

Even in its unfinished state, I still think that KOTOR 2 is better than KOTOR 1. :colbert:

Which is not to say that I dislike KOTOR 1, it's a great game no question, just that I think KOTOR 2 is that much better. Honestly the only thing that really bugs me about KOTOR 2 is that the opening part on Peragus is waaaaay too long. But after that I really don't think I have any complaints.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I enjoy the darkness in KOTOR 2, It and Empire Strikes Back seem to be the only things in Star Wars that know how to grim atmosphere right without going over the top and killing billions of people.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

I love the way KotOR II manages subtle evil, over cartoony ridiculousness, yet still finds space for two means of planetary destruction.

Kreia is without a doubt one of the best characters I've ever come across in Star Wars.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What could possibly be the reason why Lucasarts has been in perpetual chaos for the last half decade? You would think that the Star Wars name was license to print money.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

My guess: A mix of the prequels causing Star Wars popularity to take a bit of a hit, especially in the age range of people who would be buying video games; the people who grew up in the golden age of LucasArts now growing older and buying fewer games; and people getting tired of lovely prequel tie-in games, especially with LucasArts pretty much dropping all other properties to focus exclusively on Star Wars.

I mean, back in the day they'd have Day of the Tentacle and Monkey Island alongside high-quality Star Wars games like Rogue Squadron; after the Phantom Menace came out though all LucasArts put out was like a dozen podracing games.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Chairman Capone posted:

all LucasArts put out was like a dozen podracing games.

God, we should be so lucky.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Yeah I was about to say, Episode I Racer was the poo poo. How did you not like that game?

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Most of the silence surrounding the game is due to the paranoia that Blizzard will steal their ideas.

:raise:

That will happen anyway. Stealing other games' ideas and (usually) improving on them is what Blizzard does.

Bene Elim posted:

I'd really go for a new current gen space flight/combat simulator. The closest we have at the moment is the awful space sections from battlefront 2 without going all the way back to X-Wing and TieFighter.

From a financial standpoint I think this makes sense. They could get Star Wars, Flight Sim and action game markets, it'd translate well onto console, AND it'd be their favourite thing; a re-make!

Hell, they wouldn't even have to do anything new, would they? Release X-Wing and TIE Fighter (and maybe XW vs TF I guess, I dunno) on a modern engine and they'd have a popular game on their hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Bene Elim posted:

Agreed. I loved Rouge Squadron I and II but they were more like arcadey Star Fox games than flight sims. The only Star Wars game I would care to get at this point would be the "definitive" flight sim. More realistic than Rogue Squadron, all the major movie battles and then some, large selection of fighters, both Rebel and Empire campaigns. I'd still probably even love a Rouge Squadron IV.

I really couldn't care less about another KOTOR or MMO or Force Unleashed or anything based on the Clone Wars.

I could not give two shits about waving a lightsaber around, I wanna fly X-Wings.