Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Is it ok to go in my neighbor's yard to get my cat? They never answer the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Do you live in the rural south?

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
My dog's nose has started getting weird pink patches, is this anything to worry about? It only started a couple weeks ago

What he usually looks like:

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Nope I live in Cali

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

My dog will not stop pacing. She is prone to doing that during storms and fireworks but this has been constant for the last 2 days and on and off for a week or so. She doesn't sleep much but seems to be eating and making GBS threads fine. She will lay down for a minute and then pop up like something happened. She claws at the front door, shakes like crazy, and just generally seems upset. And ideas?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

York_M_Chan posted:

My dog will not stop pacing. She is prone to doing that during storms and fireworks but this has been constant for the last 2 days and on and off for a week or so. She doesn't sleep much but seems to be eating and making GBS threads fine. She will lay down for a minute and then pop up like something happened. She claws at the front door, shakes like crazy, and just generally seems upset. And ideas?

Sounds like it's time for a vet visit. She may just be stressed out, but there may be something physical bothering her.

themindisonfire
Feb 23, 2009

RiggenBlaque posted:

My dog's nose has started getting weird pink patches, is this anything to worry about? It only started a couple weeks ago

What kind of food bowl are you using? Plastic can carry bacteria even when washed that sometimes makes nose pigment turn lighter.
It could also be the lighting conditions during winter. The lack of light can sometimes lighten up a dog's nose to pink. It could also be scar tissue that is healing. Dogs like to stick their noses into dumb places.
How old is he? When my sam mix was a pup he had a solid black nose but it turned pink after a year as well.

The pink splotches aren't red or irritated or scappy are they? If not I wouldn't worry about it, unless they seem to be bugging him.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)

York_M_Chan posted:

Zoso did this once - turns out he had an intestinal blockage that was jabbing him whenever he tried to relax. It's time to see the vet.

fine-tune
Mar 31, 2004

If you want to be a EE, bend over and grab your knees...
Does anyone have suggestions for dry skin on a cat? Is there something we could add to her food (feeding EVO dry and Wellness wet)? It's not bothering her (no extra itching, vet says it isn't anything to be concerned about) but I'm tired of my otherwise shiny black cat having crazy, dandruffy looking stuff all over her. Brushing doesn't seem to change it much and while it has gotten worse in the winter (dry air, etc), it was like this when we got her in late summer.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

themindisonfire posted:

What kind of food bowl are you using? Plastic can carry bacteria even when washed that sometimes makes nose pigment turn lighter.
It could also be the lighting conditions during winter. The lack of light can sometimes lighten up a dog's nose to pink. It could also be scar tissue that is healing. Dogs like to stick their noses into dumb places.
How old is he? When my sam mix was a pup he had a solid black nose but it turned pink after a year as well.

The pink splotches aren't red or irritated or scappy are they? If not I wouldn't worry about it, unless they seem to be bugging him.

It's a metal food bowl, so hopefully it's nothing like that. He's only a bit over a year old and he's pretty hyper, so he pretty frequently does stupid things like jumping headfirst into piles of snow like some sort of snow fox or something, which could be hurting his nose. He doesn't seem bothered by it at all, so I guess it's nothing to worry about. I really posted it just in case it was one of those things someone who has only had a dog for a year wouldn't know about, but more experienced dog owners could pick up on in a quick glance. Since it doesn't seem to be anything like that, I'll just see what happens and if it goes away come the spring.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

York_M_Chan posted:

We have a dog at my work who will act like this, then have seizures the next day. :ohdear: Definitely agreeing with a vet visit. You never know what could be irritating your dog.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

fine-tune posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for dry skin on a cat? Is there something we could add to her food (feeding EVO dry and Wellness wet)? It's not bothering her (no extra itching, vet says it isn't anything to be concerned about) but I'm tired of my otherwise shiny black cat having crazy, dandruffy looking stuff all over her. Brushing doesn't seem to change it much and while it has gotten worse in the winter (dry air, etc), it was like this when we got her in late summer.

When one of my cats was young we brought up the dandruff issue to our vet and he sold us a bottle of fish oil or something (it was yellow, greasy, and came in a pump, like soap) that we put on his dry food. I doubt that's a vet-only product but if you asked he may know what it is/where to get some.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

drat Bananas posted:

When one of my cats was young we brought up the dandruff issue to our vet and he sold us a bottle of fish oil or something (it was yellow, greasy, and came in a pump, like soap) that we put on his dry food. I doubt that's a vet-only product but if you asked he may know what it is/where to get some.

You can get this or just break open some people fish oil capsules. It's a lot cheaper and works all the same.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I'm thinking of checking with the vet about this, but wanted to get some input. Our pup seems to have some trouble with loose stool. She's kind of had it off and on for awhile, in the mornings when I take her out it tends to be firm, but then throughout the day it gets loose when she goes out again. It usually starts with some firmer stuff followed by the soft stool.

She's on Blue Buffalo puppy formula right now, but had the same thing on Wellness. She checked clean for parasites last time she went to the vet for a checkup and has been dewormed since then as well. They did bloodwork before she got spayed the other week and that came up normal as well.

So, I don't know if it's something we should really be concerned about...it may be some treats or chews don't agree with her altogether? She occasionally manages to sneak some cat food which could also be contributing, and we need to do a better job keeping her from

She seems healthy and comfortable otherwise. She's not too thin or anything. We could mix in more pumpkin I guess but I don't know if that does anything but mask the problem. Then again I don't know if this is something she might grow out of, etc

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Levitate posted:

I'm thinking of checking with the vet about this, but wanted to get some input. Our pup seems to have some trouble with loose stool. She's kind of had it off and on for awhile, in the mornings when I take her out it tends to be firm, but then throughout the day it gets loose when she goes out again. It usually starts with some firmer stuff followed by the soft stool.

She's on Blue Buffalo puppy formula right now, but had the same thing on Wellness. She checked clean for parasites last time she went to the vet for a checkup and has been dewormed since then as well. They did bloodwork before she got spayed the other week and that came up normal as well.

So, I don't know if it's something we should really be concerned about...it may be some treats or chews don't agree with her altogether? She occasionally manages to sneak some cat food which could also be contributing, and we need to do a better job keeping her from

She seems healthy and comfortable otherwise. She's not too thin or anything. We could mix in more pumpkin I guess but I don't know if that does anything but mask the problem. Then again I don't know if this is something she might grow out of, etc

Cohen was like this for most of her puppyhood. We kept her on her normal food since her stool was reasonably firm in the mornings, despite getting progressively softer as the day went on. Then when it came time to switch her to adult formula on a hunch I switched up the protein source (as well as the brand -- went from a local brand to Orijen) and all of a sudden, voila, healthy poos. It turns out Cohen is sensitive to chicken. (Trying to start her out on a raw chicken diet proved to be messy...)

So, based on my experience, I would switch protein sources. Have you tried that yet?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I think Wellness is chicken based, but the Blue Buffalo she's on is Lamb. I guess there's always fish to try at some point if things don't even out, though I think I'm going to try to keep a better eye on the things she manages to chow down on during the day (the aforementioned cat food, and some of the chewable bones she loves)

Thanks, at least it's good to know she's not the only puppy with poop problems :v:

archwhore
Oct 4, 2007

This has probably been asked several times, so forgive me, I don't want to search through hundreds of posts. :(

My cat has pee problems. Every couple of weeks he'll go for a few days having problems peeing. He'll get a little bit out (maybe a tablespoon or so) and that's it. He'll go to the litter box a dozen times a day never making a normal pee. Sometimes he'll also squat other places in the house or right next to the litter box and when he does this his pee is sometimes pinkish.

I've taken him to the vet before and she's done cultures and taken samples of his pee and every time it hasn't been a blockage or any kind of infection, she always ends up giving me a painkiller for him and giving him fluids. She says that his pee problems are most likely due to stress. But really, how much stress could a tubby, pampered house cat be under?

Stats: He eats blue buffalo indoor formula and he gets the fancy filtered water. He drinks more water out of a metal stand-alone bowl than he did with the water fountain (I think he was afraid of the noise it made) and I keep it refreshed and clean. I can't really afford wet food right now other than as a once-weekly treat of sorts.

My question is... what can I do to prevent this from happening? I've read online home remedies that say to put cranberry juice in their food and lots of weird poo poo, but is there a way - assuming that this continues to be caused by something other than a blockage or crystals - to prevent this?

Squeak says thanks in advance.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

History is kinda strange. What tests did the vet do besides testing the urine? Any radiographs or ultrasound?

If I were you I'd go get a second opinion before you start feeding him weird stuff. They'd have to redo a lot of the tests, but I think its probably worth it here.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I might go see a cats only vet, they'll be able to give you a better answer than anyone else. Assuming you don't live in the middle of no where there's probably one within driving distance.

archwhore
Oct 4, 2007

Enelrahc posted:

History is kinda strange. What tests did the vet do besides testing the urine? Any radiographs or ultrasound?

If I were you I'd go get a second opinion before you start feeding him weird stuff. They'd have to redo a lot of the tests, but I think its probably worth it here.

Yes, I forgot about that. The vet did an ultrasound and didn't see any blockages or crystals. She may have also done an xray and also didn't find anything to explain the pee problem.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
We're switching our 18 month old pitt mix from Pedigree to Taste of the Wild. We have a fair amount of Pedigree left so we're moving her over slowly; we've been doing 1/3 TOTW and 2/3 Pedigree for about a week. We noticed that with the Pedigree her stools were soft. With the current mix her stools seem to be a mix of firm and hard. This morning she had a hard bowel movement (almost seems like she was straining), stopped, and then immediately went again with a much softer stool. There was still some stool hanging from her rear in between movements. After she went the second time she scooted her butt across the ground.

Should I be worried? Are there any signs I should look for?

EDIT: I forgot to mention her stool tested positive for hookworm a week ago, and we're in the middle of deworming her with Interceptor.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

I'm having issues with my boyfriend's roommate's pit. The house has two dogs, a pit and a boston, both of whom seem (to me) very high-strung and neurotic. Supposedly the pit is really sweet and friendly to everyone - except me. Me he is terrified of. Every time I move, he flinches and ducks his head. He carries his tail between his legs near me and if I pet him he stands rigidly for awhile and then starts showing his teeth. He ONLY does this to me and everyone in the house thinks it's weird.

Possible explanations! When I first started coming over I once sat on the couch next to him and he was sitting up close to me. Being used to my family's setter, who is totally chill and loves snuggling and being in your personal space, I poked his nose with mine. I know this was silly in retrospect and I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me that suddenly getting in his space would be a bad idea, but in any case he was startled and snapped at me. He didn't actually land a nip but one of his canines nailed me in the forehead. It was really just a startlement thing and immediately afterwards he was so upset and sorry that it was really pathetic to watch - I really think he just couldn't control his reflexes and clearly knew he'd done wrong and felt TERRIBLE about it. This dog would've committed ritual suicide if he'd had the means. I got off the couch and completely ignored him for a good half hour just to let him calm down, but that whole day if he saw me he'd flinch and go cower like I was going to beat him or something. Was this one incident traumatic enough to him that he feels I "owe" him a beating or something? Is this what people mean when they say pits are "very sensitive"?

Other less traumatic possible explanation: The two dogs sort of jump all over people and pretty much do whatever the hell they want, and I've never seen them get scolded by anyone in the house. However, if I'm eating at the table and one of them, say, pokes my plate with his nose, I'll give him a quick "hey" or "no." The pit always looks even flinchier if I do this - should I not be disciplining someone else's dog?

man that's a lot of words. I just want to know how to get across to him that I'm a friend, I don't want to beat the crap out of him, I'm not angry at all at him over the snappy thing (and wasn't at the time, I just felt bad for being dumb), and that he should be okay with me being in the house with him when I come over without turning into a shivering wreck.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

Hacka_Tacka posted:

Scared pit

You may want to try to countercondition him. Get a treat he REALLY likes (like above and beyond regular treats, think hot dogs, cheese, etc) and when you pass him by, offer him the treat without giving him much attention. Try just dropping the treat by him first, then offering it with your hand but not looking at him, then looking, and as he gets more comfortable, you should be able to approach him more. It sounds like he has associated you with a negative emotion, and you need to make him think positively of you again.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Hacka_Tacka posted:

Was this one incident traumatic enough to him that he feels I "owe" him a beating or something? Is this what people mean when they say pits are "very sensitive"?

Yep. Seriously.

Basically, do what Wonder Bra said. I'd go into the whole dropping treats thing while also speaking to him in the most reassuring, cheerful voice possible and see how he reacts- because if he really feels like he's screwed up THAT BAD he may refuse treats. If being mega cheerful helps, keep that up while showering him with treats (and it may not, it depends.) If speaking to him just stresses him out more, then start from square one with just tossing treats on the floor while ignoring him. Once he starts expecting treats from you, see if he'll take one from your hand- if not, just go back to tossing them on the floor and work up to it. It does sound like he knows/thinks he screwed up badly and needs reassurance.

This Post Sucks
Dec 27, 2004

It Gave Me Splinters!
I've got a quick question.

I'm lucky enough to be able to bring my dogs to work with me. One of my coworkers bring her Alaskan Malimute mix, Kona, to work every day. She's a very friendly dog and very well behaved.

However, Kona doesn't like one of my dogs. Dexter, the older one, spent a weekend with them when he was about 9 weeks old and she took a liking to him then, however, Chief didn't come around until he was about 3 months old.

She loves Dexter and gets along great with him, however, she gets nervous and starts to grown when Chief comes to work with me. It's not terrible since we can just shut our doors and they are separated, but it'd be nice if we could get them to get along.

Anyone have any ideas as to how we can get Kona to like Chief?

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Superconsndar posted:

Yep. Seriously.

awwwwww the poor bugger. My family's always had primitives or border collie crosses, and their typical response to being scolded is "I made you angry! That's AWESOME! I'm gonna do what I just did AGAIN!" so I didn't think he'd be so upset about it for so long. Operation make friends with puppy commence!

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
This is kind of a stupid question, but I haven't seen a post about it (I hope this isn't a really common thing :ohdear:), but what is the PI opinion on Cesar Milan? As an outside observer he seems like a magician, but the power of editing...

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Scionix posted:

This is kind of a stupid question, but I haven't seen a post about it (I hope this isn't a really common thing :ohdear:), but what is the PI opinion on Cesar Milan? As an outside observer he seems like a magician, but the power of editing...

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3371365

This thread nicely sums up why he is poo poo.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

Scionix posted:

Basically, the thread Kerfuffle posted sums up PI's general opinion (he sucks) but if you want to learn more, check out the awesome dog training thread! A life less put that together and she's really, really good at explaining how to get that 'magical' effect without all the dominance and alpha stuff. :)

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
I know I've seen a post on PI before about calorie dense cat foods, but I can't seem to find it. My dad's cat is currently suffering liver failure and is not eating. At this point, I've told him to consider force feeding her in hopes that it might help her get better. She's turned down everything from cheese to tuna, wet and dry food.

What canned cat foods are the most calorie dense for the purpose of force feeding, preferably located at Petco? Any other store in town will probably not have anything that is suitable. I know of Hill's a/d, but I'm not sure if our vet carries it, and if they think it's a good choice. I'm calling the vet after my next class, but I'm 200 miles away from the cat and the vet right now.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr
This page might help you find high calorie stuff: http://binkyspage.tripod.com/CanFoodNew.html

She absolutely needs to be force fed if she won't eat. In cats, simply not eating enough for any reason will cause liver failure. The damage is typically reversible if you can get some protein into the cat. In your dad's case, the liver failure may or may not have been caused by not eating, but this is the cause in a whole lot of cats. Force feeding will only help. There are also some good appetite stimulants a vet can prescribe. If your dad's vet isn't stressing the importance of getting food in her, he should see a different vet.

Most vets carry A/D. If they don't, they probably carry a similar high calorie recovery diet. A/D is nice because it's mushy enough that you can force feed it with a big syringe. You can also usually get A/D from Petco with a written prescription from the vet.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

A few weeks ago I was making coffee and spilled some coffee grounds on the counter. Before I had a chance to clean it up, my cat was up there licking it all up. He didn't suffer any problems as a result, but I've been operating under the assumption that coffee grounds are bad for cats and I've been trying to be more careful about spilling.

Still, since then every time I make coffee he comes running, tries to stick his face in the coffee bag or coffee maker to get a taste of that sweet coffee crack (?). It's not really a problem since I do manage to keep him away. But seriously, WTF?! I thought people used coffee grounds in their gardens as cat repellent.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Not *quite* animal related but it is.

How much are pre-exposure rabies shots? I'm hearing from a thousand, to thousands, to.......100k. At this point, I'm hoping I dont have rabies not because I might DIE but because I will have no money and be in debt and so will my family and they will hate me forever.

:( maybe theres something wrong with the world if that kinda thinking takes priority over self preservation.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
I believe in the US, they are about $200-300 per shot. You need 3 shots.

In Canada, mine were... $125 for all three I think, and I get the money back because it's covered by the student health insurance.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Pre-exposure really depends on your insurance. I think Kaiser gets them for a co-pay in California, and ours through student health were a $10 co-pay under the new insurance plan. Previously I think they weren't covered and were like $330 a shot or something like that for all the poor schmucks who didn't have kaiser before school.

What do you need them for? Many employers will cover pre-exposure.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Nicked myself dissecting/practice necropsy on a raccoon. I have limited student insurance but they have all these weird rules that it can apply to so it probably wouldnt help and I have medicaid..which doesn't cover outtastate unless its an emergency and I hope this counts as one.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

You probably need a post-exposure series. Go to the doctor. It's not worth waiting over.

Enelrahc fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 22, 2011

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Malalol posted:

Nicked myself dissecting/practice necropsy on a raccoon. I have limited student insurance but they have all these weird rules that it can apply to so it probably wouldnt help and I have medicaid..which doesn't cover outtastate unless its an emergency and I hope this counts as one.

Were you in a learning situation (scheduled classroom dissection) or doing this on your own time? If the former that may be completely covered by the school. I recall a friend who was cut by some lab glassware during chem class, and they more or less treated it as a workers comp situation, even though they could have made the argument that she was being clumsy and brought it on herself. Definitely check with your school and see.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Oh man! update, the lab said since the raccoons been dead so long (4 days?)..the results would be...inconclusive, so I should get shots anyway. I was doing it on my own time, in school facilities but I think my health insurance will cover it.

And so i did....
I went to the hospital and get 6 shots. They were running outta places to inject me with. I'll be back 4 more times, so 4 more shots. Lesson of the day, dont fk around with potential rabies, seriously. This is lame. Trying to get at least .5cc of this stuff onto the joint of your thumb sucks.

Im gunna have to ask, assuming I did contract the rabies virus...am I..contagious? I'm not biting people, but. If its spread by saliva...through a wound or mucous membrane...is kissing allowed? Sharing drinks? I apologize for the very off-topic derail now but google is not giving me anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Malalol posted:

Oh man! update, the lab said since the raccoons been dead so long (4 days?)..the results would be...inconclusive, so I should get shots anyway. I was doing it on my own time, in school facilities but I think my health insurance will cover it.

And so i did....
I went to the hospital and get 6 shots. They were running outta places to inject me with. I'll be back 4 more times, so 4 more shots. Lesson of the day, dont fk around with potential rabies, seriously. This is lame. Trying to get at least .5cc of this stuff onto the joint of your thumb sucks.

Im gunna have to ask, assuming I did contract the rabies virus...am I..contagious? I'm not biting people, but. If its spread by saliva...through a wound or mucous membrane...is kissing allowed? Sharing drinks? I apologize for the very off-topic derail now but google is not giving me anything.

From http://www.enotalone.com/article/10632.html

Q: I am receiving rabies PEP due to exposure to a patient with rabies - can I give rabies to other people?

A: Persons cannot give rabies to other people unless they themselves develop clinical signs of rabies. The treatment you are receiving will protect you from developing rabies, and therefore you pose no rabies-related risk to other people. You should continue to go to work and participate in other normal activities.