Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

:911:

antwizzle posted:

I gotta say, that's pretty awesome that the educators actually restrict admission like that, compared to the law school model of "we'll admit everyone, bleed them 100K of tuition, they can fend for themselves when they get out!". It seems to me like the health care field is unique in this -- perhaps due to the cost of expensive equipment & clinical training. I have heard it's very competitive to get in, which is good.

It's just simple logistics, really. You can't have 20 nursing students on one clinical rotation--especially when there are other schools in the area with their own set of nursing students that need clinical sites. Make no mistake though, nursing school (like any other program) still very much likes taking in borderline students so they can bleed them dry over a few semesters.

It is competitive to get in, but for different reasons depending on the school. My school, for example, was a complete bureaucratic clusterfuck and was apparently taking people first-come/first-serve without basing it on academic performance (something I discovered when I was rejected with the first batch of applicants when I knew people with shittier grades than me got in--there's no wait list at my school either). A well-written letter to the president of the school and some local state and federal politicians took care of that, though.

patb01 posted:

Wait... Devry has a nursing program???

That is NOT going to end well. I'd heard of ITT's nursing school, and I know there's Apollo or whatever they're calling themselves.

Other news, starting prereqs at my community college, apparantly they have a basic skils check off before you can start your RN, which you can bypass with a CNA class, aside from checking a pulse/blood pressure, what else could this entail?

No hospital in their right mind would hire an RN that has zero clinical experience. Well, maybe my local hospital, since they hired someone that needed a diagram drawn for her on how to insert a foley. :psyduck:

As for the skills, I imagine pulse, BP, maybe turning/positioning/transferring, incontinent care, things like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

patb01
Jul 4, 2008
I'm not even sure that a state would license someone without clinical experience.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

antwizzle posted:

How do you think the profession will be affected by the fact that everyone and their mother is flocking to nursing schools because they hear it's one of the fields that actually provides a living wage? There may be lots of jobs for people with experience now, but is there going to be for everyone that started a RN/BSN in 2008-2010 to flee the poo poo-tastic economy?

Most people don't understand that you can't just "go" to nursing school. It requires at least a few years of very difficult pre-requisites and a lot of determination. At least I know it's that way for RN programs. LVN programs I guess you can get in without pre-reqs, so yeah I would worry about that market becoming overly flooded, but RN programs are tough to get into and are only going to get tougher as more people try to do it.

I just finished my RN program and am taking boards this coming week. :( fffffffffffffuuuu

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit

Chillmatic posted:

Most people don't understand that you can't just "go" to nursing school. It requires at least a few years of very difficult pre-requisites and a lot of determination. At least I know it's that way for RN programs. LVN programs I guess you can get in without pre-reqs, so yeah I would worry about that market becoming overly flooded, but RN programs are tough to get into and are only going to get tougher as more people try to do it.

I just finished my RN program and am taking boards this coming week. :( fffffffffffffuuuu

Best advice I can give you for the NCLEX:

If you don't know the answer, its the one that will kill the patient the fastest... this applies to drug side effects too :)

Absolute Evil
Aug 25, 2008

Don't mess with Mister Creazil!

Chillmatic posted:

Most people don't understand that you can't just "go" to nursing school. It requires at least a few years of very difficult pre-requisites and a lot of determination. At least I know it's that way for RN programs.

Do people seriously think this? I'm in the process of getting through the pre-reqs right now. Because my now-retired counselor screwed up, I have pre-reqs left but they are all science and each one is a pre-req for the next. I've passed A&P Fundamentals, so it annoys me I have to take basic Bio before I can take A&P 1&2, but that's life I guess. So yeah, 3 more classes but I can only take one a semester. Those are my last 3 classes I need, so I've been filling my schedule with psych classes I've been wanting to take, like Social Psychology of Aging, and The Dying Process ( I intend to go into hospice care).

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Absolute Evil posted:

Do people seriously think this?

Yes.

"you mean I can make 60k a year with JUST an associates degree! :haw: where do i sign up?!"

My dad kept giving me poo poo back in the day for the fact that I couldn't work at the same time as doing my pre-reqs because they were so loving hard. He kept saying "so what, just pass with C's" and I kept having to explain to him that it was basically straight A's or bust, at least with regards to standing a chance in hell of getting in.

I'm positive that very few people ever even make it in to the program who aren't really drat serious about it. We lost two people the entire time and it was due to really serious poo poo, and nothing dumb like "oh i'm just a stupid flake who thought this would be easy". THOSE people bailed after learning they needed to take biology, algebra and other "hidden" pre-reqs before they could even begin the real ones like Anatomy 1 and 2, and statistics etc.

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

:911:

Chillmatic posted:

Yes.

"you mean I can make 60k a year with JUST an associates degree! :haw: where do i sign up?!"

My dad kept giving me poo poo back in the day for the fact that I couldn't work at the same time as doing my pre-reqs because they were so loving hard. He kept saying "so what, just pass with C's" and I kept having to explain to him that it was basically straight A's or bust, at least with regards to standing a chance in hell of getting in.

I'm positive that very few people ever even make it in to the program who aren't really drat serious about it. We lost two people the entire time and it was due to really serious poo poo, and nothing dumb like "oh i'm just a stupid flake who thought this would be easy". THOSE people bailed after learning they needed to take biology, algebra and other "hidden" pre-reqs before they could even begin the real ones like Anatomy 1 and 2, and statistics etc.

Not at my school! You have to have A&P1 and 2 done before they'll even consider letting you into the program (for evenings--for days you only need A&P1), but they evidently don't look at grades. We had someone drop out after the first test (maybe 3 weeks in) because it was too hard. There's also what I refer to as the "brain trust" in the one corner of our class who routinely ask the dumbest questions imaginable. My personal favorite was when we had to spend 15 minutes on whether or not type 1 diabetes could become type 2 diabetes. Or their response when the teacher asked what you would do if you the patient needs half a pill and the pills aren't scored--"Give them a whole one." :doh:

I got stuck on a clinical rotation with most of them last semester in OB. One of them seriously asked the parents if they were trying to have the baby or if it was a surprise. No context for asking it or anything, just went for it to be conversational I guess!

Absolute Evil
Aug 25, 2008

Don't mess with Mister Creazil!

Chillmatic posted:

Yes.

I work 32 hours a week at a nursing home and take 2 or 3 classes a semester and it's a struggle. My darling boyfriend actually said "So it's a 15 page Comp. paper..you're good at English, you should have no problem". True I do well in that class (most classes except algebra for some reason) but it's still 15 pages to write, after I've read the required reading, figured out my topic and went through the whole note/rough draft process.

One doesn't necessarilly need straight A's where I go...but if you and someone else get the same entrance exam scores, the open spot will go to the person with the better grades. As for A&P, we need the Fundamentals for the LPN program, A&P 1&2 for the RN. I know of 3 people who finished their pre-reqs while in the actual program and I've yet to figure out how they did it. I want everything out of the way so I have time to study and actually absorb the information, without worrying about outside assignements.

Enigmatic Troll
Nov 28, 2006

I'm gonna be there! I got to see!

Chillmatic posted:

Relax, chill out and don't do anymore than cursory studying. If you don't know it by now you won't know it for the boards. At least that's what I did for my exit exam (which was harder than the boards) and the boards. I also think it's worth it to pay the extra money to get your results quickly.

Giant Wallet
Jan 1, 2010

Chillmatic posted:

How'd it go?? I must know how it was. I take boards in June and I'm already freaking out a bit. Did you do anything in particular before? Did you use any study material that you found particularly helpful?

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

A lot of people enjoy being dead.

JAF07 posted:

No hospital in their right mind would hire an RN that has zero clinical experience. Well, maybe my local hospital, since they hired someone that needed a diagram drawn for her on how to insert a foley. :psyduck:

The local Devry-esque "college" here does their clinical in a (lovely) SNF. "It's the best place to train because this is the only place that will hire you later!" :haw:

On a similar note, most of the local state and private schools in my area only work in the hospital ONE day a week for SIX HOURS. I may not have a BSN when I'm done but at least I'll be able to handle a full patient load for an entire goddamn day.

Re: foley, what the gently caress there are directions on the box!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

My wife is working on her BSN, is a licensed RN with an ADN and finally got a PT job here in Massachusetts as a nursing assistant. I've told her to take it as a foot in the door because its taken 7 months just to get this. Shes taking a huge drop in pay to work 16 hours a week and we're really going to struggle to pay the bills, but she's finally got a chance.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Giant Wallet posted:

How'd it go?? I must know how it was. I take boards in June and I'm already freaking out a bit. Did you do anything in particular before? Did you use any study material that you found particularly helpful?

I passed. :unsmith: I did the kaplan prep course and while some of the rationales in the practice questions are total garbage, it helps you get in the 'test mode'. If you can only do one course or question bank i'd recommend theirs.

Enigmatic Troll
Nov 28, 2006

Chillmatic posted:

I passed. :unsmith: I did the kaplan prep course and while some of the rationales in the practice questions are total garbage, it helps you get in the 'test mode'. If you can only do one course or question bank i'd recommend theirs.

Good on you. Job lined up? What field?

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Enigmatic Troll posted:

Good on you. Job lined up? What field?

Step-down unit. I'm really excited, this has been something i've wanted to do for a long time and I think I'll be pretty good at it. Just ready to get started and forget all about some of nursing school's weirder points.

Risky
May 18, 2003

Enigmatic Troll posted:

Relax, chill out and don't do anymore than cursory studying. If you don't know it by now you won't know it for the boards. At least that's what I did for my exit exam (which was harder than the boards) and the boards. I also think it's worth it to pay the extra money to get your results quickly.

There's a trick to get your results right away. If you try to sign up to take the boards again and it doesn't let you, then it means you passed. I seen it on allnurses.com and was skeptical until I tried it and found out 2 days later I had my license.

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
I'm trying to decide whether to stick out going through my pre-reqs and nursing school or to do a bachelor's majoring in psyc or bio then go to PA school.
I recently moved from Aus to the US (Savannah, GA)...financially, going to PA school in 2.5/3 years would be a bitch but could be done (I'm an international student at the moment)...
We don't really have PAs at the moment in Aus so it never crossed my mind. I'd imagined eventually becoming a nurse practitioner. When my boyfriend mentioned PA school the other day, my first reaction was that I was not smart enough. I struggle a lot with self esteem at the moment but...I got all A's last semester and 3 As and a B before that...I sometimes struggle with math and science but I'm better now than I used to be, I have to work hard but I can do it for sure. I believe once I get "in the field" I will grasp things better.
So now I'm thinking about PA school. I've done 2 semesters, on track to join the nursing school in Spring 2012. I'm still in baby steps thinking about it, and I'm not 100% on what the US system requires (the University I'm looking at is South University which requires a bachelor's degree).
In Aus you get a "Bachelor of Arts" or a "Bachelor of Science", not just a "Bachelor's...majoring in whatever", so I'm kinda lost in that regard.
I'm hesitant to ask my advisor because, well obviously they'd want me to stay in their program to get my money right? I love the idea of majoring in Psychology because I'd love to do the upper level Psyc courses, and I enjoyed Bio last semester and am looking forward to Anatomy & Physiology. I'm so confused :( HALP!

Miranda fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 9, 2011

Lagomorpha
Feb 17, 2009
You guys are so wonderful for sharing all this valuable advice! THANK YOU! I just figured out what I want to do for the rest of my life, and it feels so amazing! I've been toying with the idea of nursing since my second year of college but wasn't focused enough to get through genetics and o-chem, luckily I knocked out my pre-req's for nursing with decent grades though. But after going through, you know, the obstacles life has put before me I still want to help people, and give them hope! I'm finishing up my BS in environmental science because I love science and frankly I've invested too much time, effort, and money into it to just give it up. An advisor told me I could take a few courses to bridge the gap between my BS and a MSN, so that sounds like a really attractive possibility for the future. I spoke with my oncologist about career possibilities (we're good family friends) and he said he'd have his wife who is a nurse contact me soon! I'm thrilled!

My mom has been telling people I'm going to do my thesis in her home country, but unfortunately it's just to show me off like she always has. After explaining in detail exactly what a PhD entails, she still doesn't understand that she can't go telling people that like it's the truth. When I told her that I'm applying to nursing school after (or even during) college, she blew up on me. Said I'm crazy to WANT to wipe butts and that I'm just getting into it so I can take drugs... I can't be mad at her though, ignorance is selfish and I pity her. If she can't see how noble the nursing profession is, then... well I don't want to say. Also, my brother is a gastroenterologist, so how the heck does she think it's okay to dis health care professions?

Thanks again guys!

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Lagomorpha posted:

You guys are so wonderful for sharing all this valuable advice! THANK YOU! I just fiAfter explaining in detail exactly what a PhD entails, she still doesn't understand that she can't go telling people that like it's the truth. When I told her that I'm applying to nursing school after (or even during) college, she blew up on me.
You have a 99.9% chance of making much more money and having much more reasonable hours as a nurse (especially MSN) than with a PhD in environmental science. Or, in fact, with almost any PhD.

WhatDoTheyKnow
Aug 17, 2007
I currently work for a hospital in the Central Supply & Processing Department. I absolutely love the work environment, but unfortunately, its too busy there for me to get a chance to talk to the RN's and Surgical Techs there. I would really like to work in the OR and just have a few questions about the two positions.

Is it true that to become a Surgical Tech, that you dont need a degree?

What are the pros/cons of being a Surgical Tech vs a Surgical RN?

What type of education would you need to be a Surgical RN?

Is it better to get a four year, two year, or two year online degree?

Sorry if any of this has been answered before. I didnt really see anything that answered these directly. Thanks in advance for any help!

Joellypie
Mar 13, 2006

WhatDoTheyKnow posted:

I currently work for a hospital in the Central Supply & Processing Department. I absolutely love the work environment, but unfortunately, its too busy there for me to get a chance to talk to the RN's and Surgical Techs there. I would really like to work in the OR and just have a few questions about the two positions.

Sorry if any of this has been answered before. I didnt really see anything that answered these directly. Thanks in advance for any help!

I don't know where you live, or the hospitals in your area, but in Memphis we don't have surgical RNs. We have circulating nurses who sit off to the side and document everything that happens in the OR. They can hire a surgical tech to do all the work for half the cost as a surgical nurse. I believe this is a practice that is starting to really take hold and soon surgical nurses wont have a purpose. To me circulating nursing seems boring, but I only did a one day rotation last semester during school.

I have no clue on the education for surgical tech, it most likely varies state to state.

As far as education, a surgical RN goes through the same RN program as someone that is a cardio, pediatric, or ICU RN. I do not know of any online programs that offer the same amount of clinical time, or textbook time that you need to get the education you need. Someone else can probably answer that question a little better. I am in a 2 yr program, but could only give you differences in my city between 4yr and 2yr degrees and the schools.

WhatDoTheyKnow
Aug 17, 2007

Joellypie posted:

I don't know where you live, or the hospitals in your area, but in Memphis we don't have surgical RNs. We have circulating nurses who sit off to the side and document everything that happens in the OR. They can hire a surgical tech to do all the work for half the cost as a surgical nurse. I believe this is a practice that is starting to really take hold and soon surgical nurses wont have a purpose. To me circulating nursing seems boring, but I only did a one day rotation last semester during school.

I have no clue on the education for surgical tech, it most likely varies state to state.

As far as education, a surgical RN goes through the same RN program as someone that is a cardio, pediatric, or ICU RN. I do not know of any online programs that offer the same amount of clinical time, or textbook time that you need to get the education you need. Someone else can probably answer that question a little better. I am in a 2 yr program, but could only give you differences in my city between 4yr and 2yr degrees and the schools.

I live in North Dakota. Im just finding it difficult to find any decent accredited schools. The best one in the state, from what Ive heard, is North Dakota State College of Science in Wahpeton. Kinda hesitant about going there because their job market sucks and well, Wahpeton sucks. On the flip side though, an education is an education. But again, any other information is greatly apprectiated!

Enigmatic Troll
Nov 28, 2006

WhatDoTheyKnow posted:

I live in North Dakota. Im just finding it difficult to find any decent accredited schools. The best one in the state, from what Ive heard, is North Dakota State College of Science in Wahpeton. Kinda hesitant about going there because their job market sucks and well, Wahpeton sucks. On the flip side though, an education is an education. But again, any other information is greatly apprectiated!

I went to Georgia College and State University. Supposedly, this is/was one of the best schools in the south for nursing. No one at any of two places I have worked at have cared or even looked it up. I moved out of the area after a job I wanted (on the med surg floor I did my clinical hours on and was promised by the manager) was taken. My point is that you can find a nursing job near any decent size town, like Rapid City (which is pretty rockin' for a small city).

Your degree (associates/bachelors) means nothing. Your license does. Our school had an exit exam that was harder than the boards (this was so they could keep their graduation numbers up). You had three chances to pass it or you didn't graduate. One third of my classmates failed the first time (oops - that big-rear end student loan you took out and you gots to pay back?). I do not know how many passed/failed the second chance as by that time I was worried about the real boards.

Wahpeton will be nothing to the hell that is called Milledgeville. No. A thousand times not. When your main street is named "Liberty" because it dead-ends into the graveyard where all the death-row inmates are buried are and that it where they are supposed to find freedom and four state prisons are located (five including the juvie super max) and the second largest insane asylum in the country was located (closed last year because of the number of deaths) and you are not a part of the local Baptist Inbred Congregation and your girlfriend is not 100% white or anything that could be interpreted as such and you are stark-raving more intelligent than anyone who would lick the rear end in a top hat of a demon-hellhou...

Hey, man. It's cool. Bitch on about North Dakota and the nice folks up there. And how your degree might be worth less than a more properly God-fearing Southern State (Go Bulldogs!).

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

A lot of people enjoy being dead.

WhatDoTheyKnow posted:

There are adult ed courses in my area for Surgical Tech but I don't know what all they entail (however it's more expensive than my community college RN degree: ~3K).

Contrary to the other responder in California an OR nurse (depending on the hospital) can directly assist in the surgery. Most of the surgeries I have witnessed were uncomplicated (lap chole, appendectomy, etc) and it was just a surgeon, an OR nurse assisting and a circulating nurse to chart everything and get supplies if needed.

Joellypie
Mar 13, 2006

Baby_Hippo posted:

Contrary to the other responder in California an OR nurse (depending on the hospital) can directly assist in the surgery. Most of the surgeries I have witnessed were uncomplicated (lap chole, appendectomy, etc) and it was just a surgeon, an OR nurse assisting and a circulating nurse to chart everything and get supplies if needed.

I was just saying that alot of hospitals in my area, and places I have looked into are hiring OR techs instead of OR nurses because its cheaper. Not that they couldn't be one or that nurses couldn't assist in surgeries. I would hate for someone to go to school for 2 yrs if they only wanted to work in the OR, then not be able to find a job because a hospital can pay some one less money to do the same job.

I just now realized that it sounded like I was putting OR nurse and circulating nurse into the same job. I meant to just throw in a comment how circulating nursing seemed boring.

If you plan on staying in your area, or even the hospital you are working at I would really go down to the floor and start asking who all is working where.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
I'll be starting an LV/PN program tomorrow and will answer any questions about it.

To start off, this is my reasoning for entering an LV/PN program:

Pros:
-Employable after only one year of schooling
-I live in a very LV/PN friendly state (Texas)
-Program acceptance is a breeze

Cons:
-Not making that fat RN wage
-I don't want to be an LV/PN forever
-Wiping rear end, all day long

Good luck to anyone else starting their nursing education!

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

mmmmmwah - Trophy kisses!

Someone mentioned this on the med school thread, so I thought I'd let you guys know, too.

Amazon is offering almost all of the kindle ebooks of Kaplan exam prep books for free right now. I am pretty sure this includes the NCLEX. It also includes the GRE for those of you that are looking into graduate school for a nurse practitioning program. Just put Kaplan in the search box and the name of the test your looking for.

Good luck!

leb388
Nov 25, 2005

My home planet is far away and long since gone.

picklejars posted:

Someone mentioned this on the med school thread, so I thought I'd let you guys know, too.

Amazon is offering almost all of the kindle ebooks of Kaplan exam prep books for free right now. I am pretty sure this includes the NCLEX. It also includes the GRE for those of you that are looking into graduate school for a nurse practitioning program. Just put Kaplan in the search box and the name of the test your looking for.

Good luck!

I just downloaded the NCLEX one. Thanks for the heads-up!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

picklejars posted:

Good luck!

I just got this and told my class about it. Thanks!

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

picklejars posted:

Good luck!

GOD

drat

IT.

Just fucken paid the money for the hard copy of this recently. Blah, at least it should help out quite a few new grads.

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008
Just out of curiosity, which kind of questions do they ask on these exams you have to take? In Australia if you get your degree then that's it, you're registered.

Is it the kind of exam where after 5 years of high acuity experience I'd still need to study for it or is it pretty practical?

Private Label
Feb 25, 2005

Encapsulate the spirit of melancholy. Easy. BOOM. A sad desk. BOOM. Sad wall. It's art. Anything is anything.
Hey! I can't find the free Kaplan kindle books :( Is it over? ...poo poo. I have the NCLEX one from back in the day (read: 2 years ago) but wanted the GRE. Oh well.

Silentgoldfish posted:

Just out of curiosity, which kind of questions do they ask on these exams you have to take? In Australia if you get your degree then that's it, you're registered.

Is it the kind of exam where after 5 years of high acuity experience I'd still need to study for it or is it pretty practical?

It's a pretty challenging exam. They do multiple choice, fill-in-the-blank, pick all that apply, pick the spot on the picture, etc. It's not exactly practical, because the questions are "by the book" not "what you would actually do in real life." You'd probably do well on the med questions, but not sure about the others. The way I had it explained to me was "it shows the public that you have the most basic knowledge of nursing," not that the test would show if you'd be a good nurse or not.

I'd say you don't actually need to have all the knowledge- just know HOW they ask the questions (critical thinking, etc). I did nothing but practice questions (over 2000, ugh) and passed with the minimum 75. :woop:

sewersider
Jun 12, 2008

Damned near Freudian slipped on my arse
So I've been in icu for about three months now and god drat, I love my job. The other staff I'm working with are awesome, management by and large arn't total are wipes ( as much as any management can help it) and the range of cases has been great. I'm at a general icu in a major teaching hospital in Sydney, the unit is 25 beds all single rooms ( great for infection control) and is only a couple of years old. The amount of stuff I've been learning between ventilation, caring for intubated patients, haemodynamic monitoring, evd's and more has been just awesome. Daunting at first but awesome. I'm glad I didn't hold off getting into critical care, to be doing this stuff as a second year is great.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel
I wish this thread had more info about nursing in the UK :( (I only looked at the first couple and last few pages). I've just applied to do a postgraduate diploma in mental health nursing which I'll hopefully be starting in September and I'm very excited/nervous about it.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Tufty posted:

I wish this thread had more info about nursing in the UK :( (I only looked at the first couple and last few pages). I've just applied to do a postgraduate diploma in mental health nursing which I'll hopefully be starting in September and I'm very excited/nervous about it.

Good luck! Mental Health and Learning Disability are the two branches of nursing that I absolutely could not do, and I admire anyone with the patience for it.

I'm still too scared to leave my job for nursing training, especially as the NHS is going through this upheaval. The news keeps on about what doctors think, but do any UK nurses have an opinion? It's a heck of a lot of extra responsibility for doctors, but it is going to have an impact on the rest of the staff if the doctor is taking on additional work.

If there are still any UK goonurses here, what is it really like working on a general ward? I hear all sorts of horror stories about how there's 1 nurse to 15 patients, it's a dumping ground for the elderly nobody else wants, and all the equipment is broken, because resources go to more specialised and 'sexier' departments like ICU.

Apkallu
May 8, 2007
I'm doing some sort of practice NCLEX in school tomorrow; if I had a Kindle I'd be all over that. I have one few-year-old book that I'm running through right now, but it's only a practice one, and they know they're doing it early in our program (one semester down plus two weeks) so I'm not really concerned.

On another topic: I'm a very logical, scientific oriented person and I am constantly dismayed by the amount of pseudo-science and amorphous 'woo' they keep bringing up. They are bringing a chiropractor to my psych class next week (this was not on the syllabus and I really don't see how it fits in at all.) Are other programs seeing a lot of this? My school's supposed to be research oriented, which is part of the reason I chose it.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
It does indeed look like that kindle deal is dead.

Private Label
Feb 25, 2005

Encapsulate the spirit of melancholy. Easy. BOOM. A sad desk. BOOM. Sad wall. It's art. Anything is anything.

Apkallu posted:

On another topic: I'm a very logical, scientific oriented person and I am constantly dismayed by the amount of pseudo-science and amorphous 'woo' they keep bringing up. They are bringing a chiropractor to my psych class next week (this was not on the syllabus and I really don't see how it fits in at all.) Are other programs seeing a lot of this? My school's supposed to be research oriented, which is part of the reason I chose it.

Huh. A chiropractor to a psych class is a little random, but maybe there is some research to it, and that's why they're bring him/her in? That'll be a really interesting class, anyway. As a nurse you're going to be in contact with people from all different cultures/backgrounds/religions and even if you don't believe in it, it's good to be educated in some of the "non-hard" medicine treatments (massage, acupuncture, fire cupping, etc) because that might be what your patient wants and you can talk with them about it.

Better believe it though- chiropractors work for a lot of people. They cured my sister's concussion-induced headaches when regular medicine couldn't.

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007
I think it's pretty common in nursing schools to have education regarding alternative or complementary methods. At my school it seems like almost every semester we have a guest speaker who comes in and talks about various complementary therapies such as aromatherapy, acupuncture, massage therapy, or pretty much anything else you can imagine.

They do this because many schools of nursing teach from a "holistic" point of view which is different than the allopathic or medical model. The holistic approach incorporates absolutely everything about the patient including their religion, culture, beliefs, spirituality, etc. Teaching you about these alternative methods increases your knowledge regarding everything you may encounter as a nurse. Treating the entire person, not just their illness, is the theory that many nursing schools incorporate into their curriculum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apkallu
May 8, 2007
I posted while I was still fresh from class, and I should have taken time to compose a little less judgementally. Right now, I'm extremely frustrated that we haven't learned anything of substance yet other than one day of neuroanatomy (due to the snow, then the ice, and a massive textbook snafu) and this is being thrown in while we're already behind. I understood the options in the context of the pain management and palliative care lecture, but this one doesn't make sense, which additionally frustrates me. I'd actually rather have, say, a panel of chaplains come in and discuss cultural/religious variations in mental health.