Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Sometimes I forget about character traits, okay? :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stupid ugly retard
Dec 30, 2009

by T. Finn
The really ridiculous part is the idea that Ray never sent an all caps comic sans email.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I don't understand you people who feel like this latest strip is outside of the Achewood norm, "too easy", or so on. It's like it's been so long since new content has rolled out you have a skewed view of the past catalog. This is vintage no-plot one-off Achewood.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

vinic posted:

I don't understand you people who feel like this latest strip is outside of the Achewood norm, "too easy", or so on. It's like it's been so long since new content has rolled out you have a skewed view of the past catalog. This is vintage no-plot one-off Achewood.

I love no-plot and one-offs, but I've heard enough Justin Bieber jokes for one lifetime. And the phrase "starboard nut," beautiful though it is, isn't enough to make a bunch of dated references funny. I guess his brain problems kept him too distracted to notice that pop culture is full up on autotune and Glenn Beck jokes at this point. This isn't like a "DEAR ONSTAD REFUND MY PAGEVIEWS IMMEDIATELY" thing - the next comic will be better, I hope. But stale jokes don't get funnier just because they're the only jokes we've had in a while.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deathlove posted:

Lyle's calligraphy is well-known and respected.

I feel like Lyle would also have an extensive knowledge of which typefaces are the most metal in case he needs to have something airbrushed onto a conversion van or stitched into the back of a denim jacket.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

stupid ugly retard posted:

He's not, he never was.
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07052007

Onstad is very big on typography. At his RIT talk he was describing his favorite font.

EDIT: Which honestly sounded pretty cool and had a lot of history.

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 7, 2011

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

The difference is that no-plot one-off Achewood used to be Klaus Nomi homages, illustrations of Emeril and George Michael, a clipart motorcycle clearing Mount Everest, or two men fighting nude in a jacuzzi.

Deathlove posted:

Lyle's calligraphy is well-known and respected.

stupid ugly retard posted:

The really ridiculous part is the idea that Ray never sent an all caps comic sans email.

Pardon me for interrupting in a manner befitting Kanye West, a man who Forbes will soon refer to as "a rapper with more ego than decorum", but you two wouldn't be saying these things were if these characters were just differently-drawn mouthpieces for the same brand of low-hanging ball jokes too hackneyed to conceal beneath the Dixie cup of verbosity, as well as the KY-Jellylike topical humor currently on spread. I'm just waiting for #Achewood to trend after the tortellini-fueled centaurs on MTV's Jersey Shore t-shirt time into "Here Comes a Special Boy" ringers.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

MizuZero posted:

tortellini-fueled centaurs

Nice.
I enjoyed 'starboard nut' a great deal, and am willing to cut this comic some slack on the grounds that he must be rusty. I look forward to seeing what comes next!

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That is, if they could actually order some ringer shirts from the Achewood shop.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Man I don't know what you other jerks are talking about the new strip is amazing.

Also, I bet we'd see the end of ad banners on SA forever if they went back to allowing you to pay to ban other users. My wallet itches some days.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The real question should be who put poor Philippe in that Bieber wig? I dunno if it's more worrying that he had it or if one of the grown-ups had it.

What's he wearing in the first panel, anyway? Looks like a bucket hat with an attached mullet.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Has anyone got a link to the start of the arc when Philippe goes home and it's not the same? I don't know what to search for on the actual site.

edit: nevermind, I found it.

ProfZoom
Mar 22, 2005

This is our last dance!
So to anyone who has made the beercan chicken recipe, a question: Would using a smaller bird complicate things?

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

ProfZoom posted:

So to anyone who has made the beercan chicken recipe, a question: Would using a smaller bird complicate things?

Its really a matter of fitting the can into the bird.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
As long as the can still fits in the body cavity.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I used to love achewood, I really did. I loved it so much.

Then Roast Beef died in that machine and it started moving more and more towards paid content and I gave up. It was too emotionally exhausting.

I just went to the site and it appears there is no longer a shop. Has there been any word of anthologies being published for around that time/later?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

zelah posted:

I just went to the site and it appears there is no longer a shop. Has there been any word of anthologies being published for around that time/later?

The strips are now being released in hardcover books by Dark Horse comics, there have been three so far (The Great Outdoor Fight; Worst Song, Played on Ugliest Guitar; and A Home For Scared People). The hardcovers include commentary on each strip by Onstad, the alt text, as well as in-character interviews/articles and background historys. They're far superior to the old collections but they do take time to come out.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

I didn't see autotune jokes being criticized when they were being applied to prison toilets. :colbert:

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

ProfZoom posted:

No, but if for some reason the cavity is smaller than your average beer can you could always rinse out a red bull can and use it instead.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I thought "gaolbreak" was hilarious. I was this close to tweeting Stephen Fry asking if he's gaolbreaked his iphone 4.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I wish Mr. Onstad only the best of luck in dealing with brain problems, and hope that we see more cartoon cats in the near future.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
So I guess this chapbook thing is apparently working out for Onstad since those are getting updates but the strip isn't?

I don't know what it is that has me to reticent to subscribe, given that I've bought 4 posters, 3 shirts, the cookbook, the Nice Todd books, two pint glasses (which are not dishwasher safe by the way), so I'm no stranger to shoveling cash towards Onstad. But I have absolutely no desire to pay to read a chapbook.

Sorry for bumping this, I'm sure half of you just opened achewood hoping there was a

:frogsiren:NEW STRIP:frogsiren:

but there isn't one.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

Sigma-X posted:

:frogsiren:NEW STRIP:frogsiren:
Thanks for making me click this like ten times, buttface.

NO NEW STRIP, PEOPLE. Go back to doing whatever it was you were doing.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
At first I was amazed at the superhuman patience it must have taken to write all that before getting to the :frogsiren:.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Why you gotta be a dick, man? You got some nerve. A real tight-wad.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

vinic posted:

Why you gotta be a dick, man? You got some nerve. A real tight-wad.

No one should be a cock to a stranger, ever!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sigma-X posted:

So I guess this chapbook thing is apparently working out for Onstad since those are getting updates but the strip isn't?

With the chapbook he can just scribble in a little notebook and scan it and *poof* it's done. The strip takes effort.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Read the offending strip. It's funny. The Glenn Beck joke felt phoned in, but that description of Justin Bieber sits well with me.

edit: And as someone with "brain problem," I can appreciate Onstad's position and can give him a break for not updating while he deals with it.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 20, 2011

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

bloodychill posted:

edit: And as someone with "brain problem," I can appreciate Onstad's position and can give him a break for not updating while he deals with it.

I myself accidentally missed my Zoloft dose three days in a row. I think I know what it feels like to be Roast Beef now.

phuzzylodgik
Oct 20, 2005

Fuck this filter shit.
The store being down is a huge bummer.

I really wanted the cookbooks. I mean, the second one is less than a year old, right?

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?
I still want my second cookbook, especially if it has Lunatic Noodles. Since I'm having brain problems myself at the moment, I guess I can sympathise...

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think anyone actually received Cookbook II.

At least, not anyone that posts in this thread.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo maybe Onstadt has a way to link forums usernames to cookbook orders and is getting revenge on us for our bad attitude?

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It serves you right for having an opinion on the Internet!

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
So he's been spending time making this temporarily free (and horrid) 'chapbook' instead of comics? I think it might be time to throw in the towel...

Guava
Nov 10, 2009

Love's made a fool out of Bear.
I like the chapbook. Any free Achewood content is more free content than I'd have if there were no Achewood. I don't see why people are displeased.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Guava posted:

I like the chapbook. Any free Achewood content is more free content than I'd have if there were no Achewood. I don't see why people are displeased.

In the time he took to make three bad chapbooks he could have maybe done one decent comic.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Guava posted:

Maybe I don't understand, but are you saying that the chapbooks are free?

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

Happy Hippo posted:

Maybe I don't understand, but are you saying that the chapbooks are free?

The first one was free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smr
Dec 18, 2002

He's not "making" the chapbook.... I get the feeling that, like most artist/writers, he has a notebook on him at all time that he scribbles in when in line, waiting, eating out, around the house when an idea strikes... he posts 'em to his fanflow just as feels like it. It's not like time is being taken away from the strip for these, I get the feeling he's creating these chapbooks no matter what.