Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

A few years ago.

Directed at threeskin. pardon me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Clownfish
Jan 1, 2010

threeskin posted:

It always looks to me like they randomly put in screws until they hit their mark.

I wonder why you had to be off it so much longer than a normal break. Glad to see you recovered.

I think it looks random because you are seeing it in 2 dimensions (I thought the same thing) If you saw it in 3-D, I bet it would make more sense. The reason I had to be off for so long was because they basically had to destroy the top of my tibia and let the bone grow back to the full height. Putting any weight on that would jeopardize the reformation of the bone.

I stayed off riding for a long time after the accident, mainly from just general fear. However, a few years ago I bought a Honda ST-1300 and have been riding uneventfully ever since. I'm looking to upgrade to a BMW K1200 pretty soon.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Sorry guys but now its my turn.

I was coming back to my suburb on my ER5 and with my gf and a friend on her Virago when i pulled into a servo to get some fuel. it had two rows of pumps and so i went in a little too fast before noticing the second row i was arriving at was LPG only.

i applied the brakes and the front wheel ran over a patch of water on oil/diesel and locked up, slipped and the bike fell sideways onto its right side catching my foot under the fuel tank as it fell.

somehow i broke both clutch and brake lever and smashed my right indicator. i lay there on the ground between the bowsers and my shoe felt very tight. i was in shock and removed my runners to see a great lump on my bent foot.

the servo attendant called the ambulance as my girlfriend talked to me as the pain started to return as the adrenaline worked its way out of my system.

Two ambulances showed up, put an inflatable splint on and gave me Penthrane and 10mg morphine so i was pretty high the whole trip to hospital.

Its not as bad as i first thought.
i fractured the first metatarsal and was put into a backslab halfcast because of the swelling and sent home with some codiene/paracetamol and 400mg ibuprofen. the osteopaths will have a look at it next week and work out if it needs wire or setting.
the whole ordeal was two hours from accident to discharge and has cost me nothing.

Lesson learned, service stations are slippery, drive around them slowly. buy riding boots.

Edit: h00j images thumbnailed

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 1, 2011

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
That seems like a lot of stuff happening for just a broken foot. Then again it's taking 3 visits to the dentist here just to remove my broken tooth.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

ive never broken a bone before and its been two days.

im loving over this whole cast thing. back to normal plz. never noticed how much i move my toes. osteo is gonna hate me.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Kommando posted:

ive never broken a bone before and its been two days.

im loving over this whole cast thing. back to normal plz. never noticed how much i move my toes. osteo is gonna hate me.

Gnaw it off and replace it with a swing arm!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I broke my 5th metatarsal in a drunken accident I don't remember a few years ago and spent a few months in a boot. It's annoying to be sure, but could be way worse. Maybe you'll get to lose the cast for a boot soon, tho your break looks worse than mine.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

my friend did their 5th metatarsal too and got a boot, theyve offered it to me if i dont want plaster in order to save a potential $200, seeing as it doesnt get a lot of repeat use. if the osteo is gonna give me the boot for free then no worries.

side effect of having a potentially-lethal-later-in-life heart murmur, you plan to have the best health insurance around which means anything short of death is covered no sweat.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who's shared their experiences in this thread so far. I'm actually taking the MSF course tomorrow. I learned to ride on an 82 Nighthawk 450 while I had a permit, but FL changed the rules to require an MSF course to get your endorsement. Rightly so, I'd say.

To add a bit of content here, I did get into an accident when I had my permit. Slowing down to a stop, behind a Dodge Caravan that was going through the light. Surprise surprise, she actually slams on the brakes at the last minute, meaning that she's now occupying the space I was braking for. Laid on the brakes, rear fishtailed a bit but still ended up going a bit over the handlebars than laying it down to the left.

If I hadn't been wearing my helmet, it would have been a bad, bad scene.

Headlight bent, front forks twerked, gearshift lever bent, ignition switch destroyed, killswitch broken.

As an added bonus, the wife (now ex-) wouldn't answer her phone. I got to walk home 1.25mi with torn jeans, hosed up helmet and work gear.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
That sucks and all but don't you think divorce is a bit of an overreaction?

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Synonamess Botch posted:

Maybe she was driving the Caravan?

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Synonamess Botch posted:

Not at all. :colbert:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

H2SO4 posted:

Truth. Been there, loving done that.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

H2SO4 posted:

Maybe her phone was off? :ohdear:

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

ive had that, a gf that never answers her phone. especially when its important.
"i didnt hear it, oh i have a missed call"
:bang:

Tuesday the 18th i go back to the doc for some more xrays.
they put it in a half leg cast and hopefully, nay, they loving will because its driving me nuts, take the cast off and put me in an aircast on tuesday.

the swelling has gone down and the bone is back in place, it was slightly displaced and commuted (small pieces) and so they couldnt do any surgery on it.

ugh, i hate this thing. i just want to jump on my bike and go see all the floodwaters around brisbane.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
whenever i read this thread - i get this jello like feeling in my legs arms and my hands become tender. looks like i wont be riding anything, not even a bicycle for a few days...

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Sooooo... Yeah, content:

I was enjoying my morning commute to work this morning, my side of the street was empty as usual with the other side full of people trying to get into the area for work. All of a sudden, a woman in a Kia Rondo decided that she wasn't going to be stuck in line anymore and immediately pulled an illegal U-Turn over the double yellow lines about 30 feet in front of me!

So being not very versed in motorcycling, (1 year under my belt) and also being used to my fancy schmancy ABS on my SV650, I hit the brakes and swerved, which was my first mistake laid er' down.

I think my bike slid into her car, with the damage that it sustained it either hit her car, hit my torso which is made of steel or something, or flipped over landing on the front.

The front fairing is obliterated, headlights are cracked, forks are bent in, radiator is bent in due to the front wheel hitting it, front wheel cracked, the tube in the frame where the triple trees go in is shattered. Other than that the 5 different sets of frame sliders did a really good job of keeping the damage to the rest of the bike minimal.

I was wearing my helmet, gloves, textile jacket, boots and :downs:jeans:downs:

The jacket did it's job well, tore a bit on the left side, where I have no abrasions, my helmet is unscathed, jeans are tore up in the knee but nowhere else, gloves I haven't even looked at.

So here's pics:

Pics of my gear I will do later, because I don't feel getting up.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Glad you are basically OK. Now you can do the job properly and get the 675 in blue and white.

Did the bitch get cited?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Spiffness posted:

Glad you are basically OK. Now you can do the job properly and get the 675 in blue and white.

Did the bitch get cited?

Lol blue and white was my first choice, but they're still so new that they're not cheap enough yet. And no, she didn't get cited as far as I know, the EMTs were tending to me for like the first 20 minutes so she may have.

All I know is that I'm really hoping she's at fault when it comes down to it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sounds pretty similar to how my accident went down, so hopefully she'll at least be at-fault as far as insurance goes, like mine (woman made left turn across my lane).

Mr Clownfish
Jan 1, 2010

SaNChEzZ posted:

I hit the brakes and swerved, which was my first mistake laid er' down.

Glad to hear you are ok. How did you get the rash with the gear? Did something fail?

I'm not clear on what you are trying to communicate with the strike-out. Did you hit our brakes or not? Did you lose traction, even with ABS?

It seems like it will be clear that it is her fault, unless you ran into the back of her, in which case she could just claim you rear-ended her. Did you get the names of any witnesses? With all those stalled cars, there should have been plenty.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mr Clownfish posted:

Glad to hear you are ok. How did you get the rash with the gear? Did something fail?

I'm not clear on what you are trying to communicate with the strike-out. Did you hit our brakes or not? Did you lose traction, even with ABS?
He was wearing a textil jacket which he said ripped. Textile tends to not be as form-fitting as leather, so there's potential for rash from the jacket itself. Plus it ripped. Also he said his previous bike had ABS while this one does not.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Never mind cited, did the cops take a report?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

redscare posted:

Never mind cited, did the cops take a report?

Yeah, got all my ducks in a row here, my insurance said she will most likely be at fault as well, which is good.

And yeah, my textile jacket ripped and moved around when I hit the floor, hence the rash. It's almost like a rugburn and it sure as hell stings like one.

And yeah, my last bike had ABS, which was nice and only had come into play once or twice, but I think that maybe getting the ABS bike as a first bike was a bad idea, making me used to being able to grab brakes and not worry too much. The strikeout was to make myself sound like a harley tough guy by 'layin' her down' instead of admitting that I locked them up :)

I practiced some parking lot drills with the new bike to get the lever/foot pedal down and I thought I had it, but I guess not lol.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

not sure about the laws where you are but if someone performs an illegal driving manoeuvre that causes an accident they are at fault automatically. ymmv.

went back to the hospital yesterday. sat two hours ten minutes in the waiting room for the doc to poo poo all over my prev doc, send me for a CT, threaten me with surgery and tell me to gently caress off till next week.
so i didnt get the cast off. so im gonna call another hospital and arrange a private doctor, gently caress the public system, i dont pay $150/month for nothing.

then im gonna cut this fucker off with a bladeknife and put my aircast on.

i cant work with this plastic piece of poo poo on my leg, its loving hot and sweaty and i want a real shower.

E:

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 19, 2011

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Kommando posted:

not sure about the laws where you are but if someone performs an illegal driving manoeuvre that causes an accident they are at fault automatically. ymmv.

went back to the hospital yesterday. sat two hours ten minutes in the waiting room for the doc to poo poo all over my prev doc, send me for a CT, threaten me with surgery and tell me to gently caress off till next week.
so i didnt get the cast off. so im gonna call another hospital and arrange a private doctor, gently caress the public system, i dont pay $150/month for nothing.

then im gonna cut this fucker off with a bladeknife and put my aircast on.

i cant work with this plastic piece of poo poo on my leg, its loving hot and sweaty and i want a real shower.

Hot and sweaty? I'd kill for that right now. Also, holy poo poo Sanchezz! Didn't you just get that this last month? I was drooling because I am waiting until March (when the sun comes out) to pick up my 675.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

schreibs posted:

Hot and sweaty? I'd kill for that right now. Also, holy poo poo Sanchezz! Didn't you just get that this last month? I was drooling because I am waiting until March (when the sun comes out) to pick up my 675.

I got it like 3 weeks ago.. :( I think I'm more depressed about the bike than anything. It was so clean lol.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Derp a herp a derp

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

SaNChEzZ posted:

laid er' down.

Wow, that's almost 100% exactly how my wreck last year went. They found the lady entirely at fault and the cop at the scene was a motorcyclist so his report was very sympathetic (even though it didn't need to be as it was so clear cut whose fault it was). Glad to hear you're (mostly) ok, but a shame about the bike, she was quite a looker.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

SaNChEzZ posted:

I got it like 3 weeks ago.. :( I think I'm more depressed about the bike than anything. It was so clean lol.

That really sucks dude. Hopefully you can either find another as well sorted as that one was, or get it repaired back to good.

Mr Clownfish
Jan 1, 2010
Just a tip for you, since this is your first accident.

I had a minor accident which unfortunately resulted in $15,000 worth of surgery and around six months on crutches. I ended up selling the bike and didn't ride for about five years. I always regretted it, and ended up buying a bike later and have been much happier because of it.

My advice is to get a new bike and start riding again, as soon as you can.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Mr Clownfish posted:

Just a tip for you, since this is your first accident.

I had a minor accident which unfortunately resulted in $15,000 worth of surgery and around six months on crutches. I ended up selling the bike and didn't ride for about five years. I always regretted it, and ended up buying a bike later and have been much happier because of it.

My advice is to get a new bike and start riding again, as soon as you can.

Yeah I plan on it, my mom actually told me to get a harley as she was driving me to the orthopedist yesterday.. I just had to laugh.

I'm going to try to find another daytona as I really like how the bike felt, I spoke with a lawyer today (friend's stepdad, personal injury/accident), as the officer that took the report failed to take down her insurance information and just simply wrote "RENTAL" but upon calling the rental car agency, she didn't purchase insurance through them.

He also not really refused to let me.. but assured me he got all the info while I was being tended by the EMTs and by the time I was done with them she had already began to be on her way.

The attorney has tried to get in contact with her unsuccessfully, luckily I have uninsured coverage.

sirbeefalot posted:

That really sucks dude. Hopefully you can either find another as well sorted as that one was, or get it repaired back to good.

The neck of the frame shattered, so my thoughts are that it's going to be totalled. In which case, I will buy it back and get a new frame/part out if the price is right.

If all goes well and I end up getting a hefty chunk of cash I'll probably spring for one of those sexy new white ones :D

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

quote:

If all goes well and I end up getting a hefty chunk of cash I'll probably spring for one of those sexy new white ones :D

Good man. That's called making lemonade.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

SaNChEzZ posted:

The neck of the frame shattered, so my thoughts are that it's going to be totalled. In which case, I will buy it back and get a new frame/part out if the price is right.

You really need to post the pic of the shattered frame, it's impressive.

I want to help you build a Street Triple. That'd be awesome.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

No, buy a crashed MV Agusta F4i without an engine and cobble together your own Brutale F3

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Spiffness posted:

No, buy a crashed MV Agusta F4i without an engine and cobble together your own Brutale F3

:thumbsup: Sanchezz Likes This!

Oh, Hi Mr. Spoke. Glad you decided to join us inside the tire today!

I see you brought your friend Mr. Triple Tree, it's a shame he had to break the frame to get in the picture though.

Here's the whole set in case anyone is curious:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11045674@N03/sets/72157625855259728

Z3n posted:

You really need to post the pic of the shattered frame, it's impressive.

I want to help you build a Street Triple. That'd be awesome.

If the buyback is cheap, I just need to source another frame. I already have the round-eye headlights :) Open projectors would be pimp.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 21, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
*million dollar man theme music*

Except it'll end up looking like a rat bike, cause...yaknow.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
I think everyone should get to the track and learn the limits of braking and handling so when you do accidentally do lock up the front for a second, you learn to release and squeeze back and not just dump it.

Glad you're okay! Did the boots save your ankles and feet? If I could only choose 1 piece of gear to have on during an off, boots or gloves would be it.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

aventari posted:

I think everyone should get to the track and learn the limits of braking and handling so when you do accidentally do lock up the front for a second, you learn to release and squeeze back and not just dump it.

Glad you're okay! Did the boots save your ankles and feet? If I could only choose 1 piece of gear to have on during an off, boots or gloves would be it.

It's one thing to practise on the track with number boards and a chance to learn the corners, it's another when Dipshit McTwat does an illegal u-turn without warning 10 feet in front of you...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

SaNChEzZ posted:

as the officer that took the report failed to take down her insurance information

A similar thing happened to me. The officer told me he got all the necessary information and then it turned out that the woman that hit me was an illegal alien, driving a truck that didn't belong to her, which turned out not to be ensured anyway. I guess the cop was too busy lecturing me about the evils of motorcycling to notice that her proof of insurance didn't match the god drat truck she was driving.

• Locked thread