Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Chairman Capone posted:

My guess: A mix of the prequels causing Star Wars popularity to take a bit of a hit, especially in the age range of people who would be buying video games; the people who grew up in the golden age of LucasArts now growing older and buying fewer games; and people getting tired of lovely prequel tie-in games, especially with LucasArts pretty much dropping all other properties to focus exclusively on Star Wars.

I mean, back in the day they'd have Day of the Tentacle and Monkey Island alongside high-quality Star Wars games like Rogue Squadron; after the Phantom Menace came out though all LucasArts put out was like a dozen podracing games.
LucasArts lost most of their really talented people in the mid- and late nineties, which is perhaps the most important reason why their games became so lacklustre so very quickly. The poor management decisions didn't help either, of course.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Agreed. I loved Rouge Squadron I and II but they were more like arcadey Star Fox games than flight sims. The only Star Wars game I would care to get at this point would be the "definitive" flight sim. More realistic than Rogue Squadron, all the major movie battles and then some, large selection of fighters, both Rebel and Empire campaigns. I'd still probably even love a Rouge Squadron IV.
Did you ever play Larry Holland's X-Wing games?

EDIT: On a different note, I only just read the OP and I must say I am so loving glad I stopped reading Star Wars novels at the point where they introduced the Yuuzhan Vong. I couldn't even bring myself to read through Vector Prime, and it looks like things only went downhill from there. Made an exception for Zahn's Outbound Flight duology and Tatooine Ghost, though.

Sombrerotron fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I bought and read all the books about Jacen taking over the galaxy when I had a lot of downtime in the army and I really regret it. Only good part was Wedge in that one book being Wedge. Those are the last ones I've read.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Sombrerotron posted:

LucasArts lost most of their really talented people in the mid- and late nineties, which is perhaps the most important reason why their games became so lacklustre so very quickly. The poor management decisions didn't help either, of course.
Did you ever play Larry Holland's X-Wing games?

EDIT: On a different note, I only just read the OP and I must say I am so loving glad I stopped reading Star Wars novels at the point where they introduced the Yuuzhan Vong. I couldn't even bring myself to read through Vector Prime, and it looks like things only went downhill from there. Made an exception for Zahn's Outbound Flight duology and Tatooine Ghost, though.

I've played TIE fighter. X-Wing, X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter and XWA don't want to work on my PC. I have the Windows 95 collection version. I start a level, a few seconds later, it crashes. I installed the patch too, still doesn't work. TIE Fighter only works on 320x200 8-bit and it looks horrible.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

TeeFury has an awesome take on "It's a Trap" today. I picked one up, and so should you!

Z. Beeblebrox IV
Mar 1, 2007

by angerbot
Oh man, "Tie Fighter" is a blast from the past. I'd play the hell out of that at my friend's house.

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm sure actors get tired of nerds thinking they can pull a string and make them say their lines. I seem to recall a thread from a year ago where someone mentioned that Bruce Campbell told some kid "I'm not your loving monkey", after being asked to say some line from Evil Dead.

Oh I've seen Bruce Campbell do that on a couple occasions. It's like a thing. You go to a Bruce Campbell Q&A and you secretly hope someone asks him to recite a line from something he was in.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What could possibly be the reason why Lucasarts has been in perpetual chaos for the last half decade? You would think that the Star Wars name was license to print money.

I imagine it's the same problem that has taken over a lot of companies. Once you have a large enough property, you just don't try anymore because you believe you are the market. New Star Wars movies were coming out and then Clone Wars starting up probably created this idea that people would buy anything with a Star Wars label on regardless of if it was a terrible game. I would imagine they blew off companies as well that wanted to make an innovative game because it was too "risky", which happens sometimes. That's why we have Warcraft and Starcraft. I've heard rumors that Mass Effect was originally pitched as a Star Wars game but Lucasart passed on it. I think that's probably mostly rumor.

Torael_7 posted:

:raise:

That will happen anyway. Stealing other games' ideas and (usually) improving on them is what Blizzard does.

The logic is that with Cataclysm in development like it was, if the Old Republic team had some cool and interesting new take on the game that Blizzard would snatch it up and put it in Cataclysm before Old Republic even went into beta.

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm sure actors get tired of nerds thinking they can pull a string and make them say their lines. I seem to recall a thread from a year ago where someone mentioned that Bruce Campbell told some kid "I'm not your loving monkey", after being asked to say some line from Evil Dead.

That kid must have been really grating or Bruce Campbell had a bad day because everyone I know who has met him said he was the nicest celebrity they ever met. He apparently goes out of his way for his fans but I guess not that far.

Summer Glau once told a friend of mine that she didn't do requests because it made her feel like a caged animal. She told his girlfriend that she felt bad about snapping at him because he seemed like a nice guy though.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

That kid must have been really grating or Bruce Campbell had a bad day because everyone I know who has met him said he was the nicest celebrity they ever met. He apparently goes out of his way for his fans but I guess not that far.

He said it in a jokey manner, it wasn't a pissed-off snap thing.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Leovinus posted:

He said it in a jokey manner, it wasn't a pissed-off snap thing.
I dunno, I'd have hit the guy who was talking to Hamill in that video after a few seconds of him stammering like that.

Flippinlikebirds
Feb 2, 2007
I'm an ideas man Michael. I think I proved that with Fuck Mountain.
How did Han Solo achieve the rank of Captain in the Rebel alliance? Was it just because he had his own ship or what? Also what were Luke Leia, Chewie, and Lando's ranks?

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Flippinlikebirds posted:

How did Han Solo achieve the rank of Captain in the Rebel alliance? Was it just because he had his own ship or what? Also what were Luke Leia, Chewie, and Lando's ranks?

Han was a loving GENERAL in Return of the Jedi. So was Lando.

Flippinlikebirds
Feb 2, 2007
I'm an ideas man Michael. I think I proved that with Fuck Mountain.

Karma Tornado posted:

Han was a loving GENERAL in Return of the Jedi. So was Lando.

poo poo, you're right. I haven't seen it in a while. Still how did he manage to get there?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Flippinlikebirds posted:

poo poo, you're right. I haven't seen it in a while. Still how did he manage to get there?

People get promoted really fast in Star Wars. Jar Jar got promoted to the rank of General in Episode I by doing gently caress all.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I'm pretty sure the only actual ranks Lucas knows are "general," "captain" and "admiral."

Like half of the Jedi order is apparently promoted to general as soon as the Clone Wars start. Han's a general even though he spent a giant chunk of the Rebellion as decor. Lando's a general because he has a sweet cape.

Actually, that last one's a pretty good reason.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Gammatron 64 posted:

People get promoted really fast in Star Wars.

It's not like they didn't earn their stripes. Han had a Death Star kill assist and Lando...

...is a general whether you promote him or not, son.

quote:

Jar Jar got promoted to the rank of General in Episode I by doing gently caress all.

Where was this stated? Maybe it's because I try to avoid the prequels, but I only remember Jar Jar as a goofy halfwit foot soldier pulling Three Stooges routines on the battlefield. I distinctly remember Han and Lando being called generals in the ROTJ briefing scene.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Karma Tornado posted:

I'm pretty sure the only actual ranks Lucas knows are "general," "captain" and "admiral."

I'm pretty sure somebody called Luke "Commander Skywalker" in The Empire Strikes Back.

ghost biscuit
Sep 28, 2002

In the big main battle the other Gungan dude is all like, "General Jar-Jar, what do we do?", and then Jar-Jar falls on his rear end or something.

edit: Also, on the whole promotion thing, I just assumed it was rampant nepotism, and a bit of a battlefield command type situation--same thing as in the new Star Trek. You know, the whole, oh god, everyone's dead! You! You're commander now! routine.

ghost biscuit fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 19, 2011

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Derek Dominoe posted:

It's not like they didn't earn their stripes. Han had a Death Star kill assist and Lando...

...is a general whether you promote him or not, son.

Where was this stated? Maybe it's because I try to avoid the prequels, but I only remember Jar Jar as a goofy halfwit foot soldier pulling Three Stooges routines on the battlefield. I distinctly remember Han and Lando being called generals in the ROTJ briefing scene.

Boss Nass: "Meesa gonna make you a bombad General!"

Granted it was another retarded Gungan who promoted him but still...

Han helped Luke, but Luke was the guy who blew it up, and he just got promoted to Commander. What was Chewie's rank? Poor guy didn't even get a medal! I'm pulling the race card here.

Han showed up, saved Luke's butt, then promptly got frozen in Carbonite. He gets unfrozen and he's a General. I love Lando, man. But the guy just showed up and they made him a General. I mean, really. He did even less than Han. Even worse, he screwed the rebels over, turned them over to Vader, and got Han frozen in said Carbonite.

Know how to get a promotion in Star Wars? Have the author say so.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Gammatron 64 posted:

"It doesn't mean as much when one of those people say it." Space racist spotted.

quote:

Han showed up, saved Luke's butt, then promptly got frozen in Carbonite. He gets unfrozen and he's a General.

POWs are entitled to promotions while imprisoned. Luke just went AWOL to a swamp planet.

quote:

I love Lando, man. But the guy just showed up and they made him a General. I mean, really. He did even less than Han. Even worse, he screwed the rebels over, turned them over to Vader, and got Han frozen in said Carbonite.

You still haven't refuted my main argument:

edit: Plus, Han told them about his "little maneuver at the Battle of Tanaab."
edit2: Of course, there's a Wookiepedia page about that.

Sax Offender fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 19, 2011

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Derek Dominoe posted:

"It doesn't mean as much when one of those people say it." Space racist spotted.

Eh, I can live with that. I'm all for putting Gungans in concentration camps.

Ewoks though, I'm tight with the Ewoks.

Derek Dominoe posted:

You still haven't refuted my main argument:

edit: Plus, Han told them about his "little maneuver at the Battle of Tanaab."
edit2: Of course, there's a Wookiepedia page about that.

You win, man. You win. I just can't argue against that.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

Boss Nass is awesome merely because he's voiced by Brian Blessed.

And while I've known for a while that Darth Maul was voiced by Peter Serafinowicz (Spaced, Shaun of the Dead, Look Around You, Running Wilde) I just realized that Captain Tarpals (the one actually competent Gungan) is voiced by Steve Speirs, who was the pig-man in Krod Mandoon as well as in Cemetery Junction and the episode of Extras where he goes on a man-date with Andy. What is it about Phantom Menace that drew so many British TV actors to do voices? Not to mention it was the first major movie that Kiera Knightley was in.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Han helped Luke, but Luke was the guy who blew it up, and he just got promoted to Commander. What was Chewie's rank? Poor guy didn't even get a medal! I'm pulling the race card here.

Han showed up, saved Luke's butt, then promptly got frozen in Carbonite. He gets unfrozen and he's a General. I love Lando, man. But the guy just showed up and they made him a General. I mean, really. He did even less than Han. Even worse, he screwed the rebels over, turned them over to Vader, and got Han frozen in said Carbonite.

Know how to get a promotion in Star Wars? Have the author say so.

You forget that there were four years between A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back. It was made clear at the beginning of Empire that the Alliance loved Han, and felt they were taking a big loss if he left.

Technically, Han was a captain before he joined the Alliance. Yes, because he owned a freighter.

Edit: All that said, Colonel Solo would have made more sense.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Regardless, Captain is the most badass rank. Think about it. Captain Han Solo, Captain James T. Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Char Aznable. If you're in space, you should be a Captain because it makes you cooler. Once you hit Admiral, that makes you less cool, unless you are named Ackbar or Thrawn.

Captain America.

Commander is a little below Captain. Commander Luke Skywalker, Commander Benjamin Sisko. Still cool, but not as cool. But legit.

EDIT: The captain rule does not apply if your name is Janeway, Archer or Needa. But Han, Kirk and Char are so awesome they cancel them out.

Derek Dominoe posted:

The Rebels were never very clear about when they used Navy vs Army ranks. Han was a Captain because he was the captain of a ship, so you'd think he'd follow a naval progression. But no, he becomes a general in ROTJ. "Well, that makes since since it was for an infantry offensive..."

Also if Han Solo was a Naval Captain, that's equivalent to a Colonel. But I guess he wasn't, since he wound up as a General...

Derek Dominoe posted:

Luke is a Commander, a Navy rank, though we only see him performing infantry and fighter duties, the latter where he really seems to make his mark as a Rebel. I believe he's briefly a general in the EU as well but that doesn't really count, right?

Luke wasn't an infantryman, his job was a fighter pilot, only you just see him do his job twice in the movies and he kinda goes AWOL to do his own thing. He was Navy. But then they stuck him with some infantrymen in Jedi on Endor when he should have been with Rouge Squadron...

You know I think we're putting too much thought into this.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 19, 2011

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Chaos Hippy posted:

You forget that there were four years between A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back. It was made clear at the beginning of Empire that the Alliance loved Han, and felt they were taking a big loss if he left.

Technically, Han was a captain before he joined the Alliance. Yes, because he owned a freighter.

Edit: All that said, Colonel Solo would have made more sense.

The Rebels were never very clear about when they used Navy vs Army ranks. Han was a Captain because he was the captain of a ship, so you'd think he'd follow a naval progression. But no, he becomes a general in ROTJ. "Well, that makes since since it was for an infantry offensive..."

But then Lando is a general during a fleet maneuver. "Okay, but fighter groups within naval fleets can follow non-Naval ranks" (e.g. Marine pilots). But he's commanding from the Falcon, which is what got Han his navy-style "Captain" rank.

Luke is a Commander, a Navy rank, though we only see him performing infantry and fighter duties, the latter where he really seems to make his mark as a Rebel. I believe he's briefly a general in the EU as well but that doesn't really count, right?

The Empire seems to be a little more clear. The Imperial Navy follows traditional navy ranks and the only general we see is clearly commanding and armored column in ESB. The only exception is that in Tie Fighter, the progression is

Of course, there's a Wookiepedia page for Rebel and Imperial ranks which makes it all much more confusing.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wasn't Han a captain from his time in the Imperial Navy? I thought I remembered that, although I've actually never read the AC Crispin Han Solo trilogy which I understand covers his time in the Empire's service.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I think he was just a lieutenant, or something lower.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I think he was just a lieutenant, or something lower.

Cadet, if I remember right (it is entirely possible that I remember wrong).

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Luke wasn't an infantryman, his job was a fighter pilot, only you just see him do his job twice in the movies and he kinda goes AWOL to do his own thing. He was Navy. But then they stuck him with some infantrymen in Jedi on Endor when he should have been with Rouge Squadron...

You know I think we're putting too much thought into this.

I think the squadron name in RoTJ was Gold, not Rogue. The squadron names are bit arbitrary it seems, Red in ANH, Rogue in ESB, and Gold in RoTJ. And I also agree that Luke and co's high ranks are purely the result of nepotism from being in Leia's click. But the rebellion isn't really an organized military force anyway is it? More a rag-tag band of freedom fighters.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Chaos Hippy posted:

Cadet, if I remember right (it is entirely possible that I remember wrong).

He did make it to Lieutenant before, of course, he saved Chewbacca's life and got a dishonorable discharge.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Let's clear something up.

Rouge:

Rogue:

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Fledgling Gulps posted:

I think the squadron name in RoTJ was Gold, not Rogue. The squadron names are bit arbitrary it seems, Red in ANH, Rogue in ESB, and Gold in RoTJ. And I also agree that Luke and co's high ranks are purely the result of nepotism from being in Leia's click. But the rebellion isn't really an organized military force anyway is it? More a rag-tag band of freedom fighters.

Rogue Squadron was renamed/reconfigured as Red Squadron for Endor as a throwback/tribute to the Reds at Yavin. Gold Squadron at Endor was Lando and assorted pilots..I guess their name was a throwback as well because only one Gold survived Yavin?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I always just assumed that on the rebel side General just meant "senior special officer outside of normal command".

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Silver Brushes posted:

Rogue Squadron was renamed/reconfigured as Red Squadron for Endor as a throwback/tribute to the Reds at Yavin. Gold Squadron at Endor was Lando and assorted pilots..I guess their name was a throwback as well because only one Gold survived Yavin?

It's always appeared, based on the battles of Yavin and Endor, that Gold Squadron is the fleet commander's squadron. Gold leader was calling the shots at Yavin until he got wasted.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Chaos Hippy posted:

Three years, not four. But yeah, everything else you said is right.

I'd also like to add that the Rebel Alliance wasn't exactly the Imperial military. They needed men, both soldiers and generals. If you were a hero that people would follow (like Han who had a Death Star kill under him, plus whatever else he did in the three years between) then being made a general makes sense. The important part is that people will follow you into battle willingly. The Rebel Alliance didn't exactly have a ton of options.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah exactly.

Land and Han could have also been political officers too. It is not unheard of for political officers to have actual military command.

Booblord Sagat
Feb 16, 2010

by T. Finn
Never hit me how much Wedge looks like Kevin Spacey until this thread.

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!

Chairman Capone posted:

KOTOR 3 was actually in development for a time, before being canceled:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Knights_of_the_Old_Republic_3

Basically the reason we never saw KOTOR 3 was because LucasArts was going through yet another management crisis.

That Wiki makes it sound like KotOR 3 was being developed internally at LucasArts, rather than at Obsidian/Bioware, so it was probably best that it was cancelled anyway. At least the MMO is being made by Bioware, so we know they wont piss all over the story.

Ham Session
Feb 23, 2006
Guys I think we know what is happening here
http://www.torontosun.com/entertainment/movies/2011/01/18/16927446-wenn-story.html

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Was it standard Rebel Alliance practice to have their "pilots" train at Imperial academies and then be "liberated" before reaching their first official assignments?

I seem to recall in the novelization this being Biggs' path to X-Wing pilot.

Also - I remember the X-Wing was originally a design that the Imperial military was working on - what was their rationalization for not using it even though the Rebels started using it?

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

LLJKSiLk posted:

Was it standard Rebel Alliance practice to have their "pilots" train at Imperial academies and then be "liberated" before reaching their first official assignments?
If it wasn't a standard practice endorsed by the Alliance, it was at least an incredibly popular method used by rebels to train before defecting. Biggs, Hobbie, Tycho, etc - all of them were actually in the same training cadre.

quote:

Also - I remember the X-Wing was originally a design that the Imperial military was working on - what was their rationalization for not using it even though the Rebels started using it?
The Empire's reasoning against the X-Wing is that they are supervillains - shielded fighters make pilots overconfident, and hyperdrive-equipped fighters mean they can defect easier. Thus, the standard Imperial starfighter was changed to short-range shitbox that explodes if you look at it too hard.

Slantedfloors fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
In addition to just supervillian the x-wing wasn't as cost efficient. The imperials have a lot of pilots to accomodate for, cheaper to make a bunch of barely functioning ships. The rebels are smaller and need to make every pilot count, so better to give them ships that will last more than a week.