Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
also...

my new favorite camera feature... Japan makes the best cameras ever.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
When I bought my Canon s95 here in Korea the battery charger came with an AC cable. I know you can get them with built in plugs but does anyone have any experience charging their NB-6L with USB?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Costello Jello posted:

To me, the s95 might be amazing, but if you're going to spend that much money, you might as well spend a couple hundred more for a DSLR. And I want my point-and-shoot to be thin enough (and cheap enough) that I can slip it in my jeans pocket and always have it around. The s95 is a little too thick for that, and if you need a carrying case anyway, might as well be carrying your DSLR.
The s90/s95 easily fits into the front pocket of a pair of jeans (assuming you are wearing mens jeans). I never use a case with it, haven't seen the need. Can't argue with the price point though.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

spf3million posted:

The s90/s95 easily fits into the front pocket of a pair of jeans (assuming you are wearing mens jeans). I never use a case with it, haven't seen the need. Can't argue with the price point though.

The s95 fits in skinny jean pockets too!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Sad Panda posted:

When I bought my Canon s95 here in Korea the battery charger came with an AC cable. I know you can get them with built in plugs but does anyone have any experience charging their NB-6L with USB?

Do you mean connect the camera to USB and charge the battery? I am pretty sure you cannot do that.

If you mean a separate battery charger that will work with USB as a power source - I've not seen one of those. But if such a thing did exist, it would probably be the same size as the official wallcharger and take much longer to charge - so you might as well use the official one.

I found it pretty useful that the canon charger will work with my laptop power cable (cable from wall to PSU box) with a small adaptor - so I can take just a single cable with me and use it for both laptop and battery charger.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

spf3million posted:

My friend's s90 that I borrowed, I kept it in my wool jacket pocket and it seemed to get a spec on the sensor that would be in a new position each time I turned it on. Eventually it went away, but it made me wish I had used the case the entire time I had borrowed it.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

spog posted:

Do you mean connect the camera to USB and charge the battery? I am pretty sure you cannot do that.

If you mean a separate battery charger that will work with USB as a power source - I've not seen one of those. But if such a thing did exist, it would probably be the same size as the official wallcharger and take much longer to charge - so you might as well use the official one.

I found it pretty useful that the canon charger will work with my laptop power cable (cable from wall to PSU box) with a small adaptor - so I can take just a single cable with me and use it for both laptop and battery charger.

I mean the second one. I'm going to be travelling for a while and not always have reliable access to mains electricity. I'm going to take 3 batteries, but if I had a way of charging the battery with USB then I could charge using something like http://www.amazon.com/Tekkeon-TekCharge-Mobile-Battery-Charger/dp/B0014KLX9C/ref=pd_cp_e_1 which uses AA batteries.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Sad Panda posted:

I mean the second one. I'm going to be travelling for a while and not always have reliable access to mains electricity. I'm going to take 3 batteries, but if I had a way of charging the battery with USB then I could charge using something like http://www.amazon.com/Tekkeon-TekCharge-Mobile-Battery-Charger/dp/B0014KLX9C/ref=pd_cp_e_1 which uses AA batteries.

I understand your plan, but I am dubious that it's going to give you the benefits you want: that pack only gives 800mA and the Canon battery needs 1000mA

But even if it did work, I think you're end up needing something like one set of alkalines for every charge - which means you'd be carrying more weight than if you were just carrying extra lithium batteries. Not to mention the additional weight of the charger.

And if you plan to buy batteries in transit, odds are that there will be a socket to charge up at anyway.

Given that you can get a lithium battery from Amazon for less than $10, I'd say just to buy a couple more of them. 5 batteries = 1,000 shots which may be enough between recharge points?

EDIT: http://geektechnique.org/index.php?id=236 something like this for camera batteries would be cool though.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I think you're probably right. I'll pick up some extra batteries and run them in a cycle so I know which ones to charge. If I stop somewhere for 30+ minutes I'll set them charging.

I decided to do a bit of a test to see how good my unofficial battery was. Not very scientific but it's making me think that when I buy more batteries they'll be Canon ones.. or at least a different fake one.

In my first test I charged both my batteries and then using chdk to show battery life tested how long it took to go from 90% to 60%. I turned power savings so it didn't turn off for 3 minutes and pressed the AF button every 2 minutes to keep it awake. I didn't actually take any photos. The unofficial battery lasted 40:20, the official one lasted 1:06:25.

In my second test I recharged the battery. Changed chdk to show me the voltage and then set a script to take a picture every 2 seconds. I started at 3.9v and left it running until the battery ran out. The unofficial one took 558 pictures, the official one 1016.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Sad Panda posted:

I think you're probably right. I'll pick up some extra batteries and run them in a cycle so I know which ones to charge. If I stop somewhere for 30+ minutes I'll set them charging.

That's what I would do. Less hassle and it's easy to pack half a dozen little batteries in spare nooks and crannies.

Maybe you have got a crap brand of batteries because from what I have read, the 3rd party stuff tends to work just as well as the genuine ones, but at a fraction of the cost. I believe that most of the dorkroomers will confirm this too.

Just a thought - you have used them for a few cycles before you tested them, as lion batteries need about 4 complete charging cycles before they work to full capacity?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Seems like the right thread...

I'm looking for a pocket cam for when my Nikon DSLR is too much to carry. I would like to keep the cost around $150USD as I really don't want to spend much for a simple P&S. Currently looking at the Canon SD1300is and Panasonic FH20 which are around $130USD on amazon right now, I just can't make up my mind. I've owned Canon and Panasonic cameras in the past so I'm pretty comfortable with their menu setup, I just can't pick between the two. Other suggestions are always welcome. Zoom range is not terribly important. I would like HD video but it's not terribly important either. Not looking for full manual control as this is just going to be an everyday pocket cam.

Thank You! :)

*EDIT* Not buying an S95 or Panasonic LX5, I'm not made of money these days.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jan 25, 2011

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Maybe I'm photo cursed or something. I lost my s90 and I could not film Angkor Wat and when I buy a s95 and go to SE Asia again with a shiny new 1 month old s95 this happens:suicide: My S95 just broke down with the lens retract error just before I was in Angkor Wat so I could not do any video or snapshots as well. I think I crashed it by trying to do a HDR and switching from HDR mode and video mode back and forth because of slippery fingers. Even after taking out the battery for a while, the camera still crashes and the lens will never retract.

And I found hair line cracks on one of my 77mm filters :smith: Still like the camera but wish I would know where is/ of if the cmos reset button exists.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Sad Panda posted:

I decided to do a bit of a test to see how good my unofficial battery was. Not very scientific but it's making me think that when I buy more batteries they'll be Canon ones.. or at least a different fake one.

In my first test I charged both my batteries and then using chdk to show battery life tested how long it took to go from 90% to 60%. I turned power savings so it didn't turn off for 3 minutes and pressed the AF button every 2 minutes to keep it awake. I didn't actually take any photos. The unofficial battery lasted 40:20, the official one lasted 1:06:25.

In my second test I recharged the battery. Changed chdk to show me the voltage and then set a script to take a picture every 2 seconds. I started at 3.9v and left it running until the battery ran out. The unofficial one took 558 pictures, the official one 1016.

Look at it this way... These batteries are about the size of a book of matches; they don't weigh anything and don't take up much room. The Canons cost $20 a piece where as you can find generics for $5 bucks a pop. Even if they're half as good as OEM, they're only a quarter of the price. Batteries are expendables and IMO, it's not worth the money to invest in top of the line.

caberham posted:

Maybe I'm photo cursed or something. I lost my s90 and I could not film Angkor Wat and when I buy a s95 and go to SE Asia again with a shiny new 1 month old s95 this happens:suicide: My S95 just broke down with the lens retract error just before I was in Angkor Wat so I could not do any video or snapshots as well. I think I crashed it by trying to do a HDR and switching from HDR mode and video mode back and forth because of slippery fingers. Even after taking out the battery for a while, the camera still crashes and the lens will never retract.

And I found hair line cracks on one of my 77mm filters :smith: Still like the camera but wish I would know where is/ of if the cmos reset button exists.

Send it in for warranty repair. Warranty should be at least 90 days if not a year.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
If you are looking for aftermarket batteries, check out the brand called SterlingTek.

They seem to have a good rep for using well sourced cells. Never had any problems with their batteries and from what I've seen most of the time the extra large capacity ones actually do last longer than the OEM ones.

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

How big a pain in the rear end is that loose ISO-ring on the s90?

I ordered a s95 yesterday but changed my mind because Im not sure I'll ever use it for video. One reason to get the s95 though would be that the coating has better grip (because I have big,sweaty troll-hands).
Now I dont know what to do, get an s90 and save the money or reorder the s95?

Can you bottomline it for me?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Prathm posted:

I ordered a s95 yesterday but changed my mind because Im not sure I'll ever use it for video. One reason to get the s95 though would be that the coating has better grip (because I have big,sweaty troll-hands).

Maybe I don't keep up on internet complaints enough, but I've had an S90 since last spring and I haven't had any problem with a loose ISO ring or really anything else. It's still an awesome camera.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Prathm posted:

I have the S90, too and it's a fantastic little camera, for when I don't want to lug my dSLR.
Image-quality wise the S95 and the S90 are identical for all that matters. The S90 "loses" HDR modes and some other things that I've never used anyway. The only thing that would have been nice to have for me is the 720p movie mode.

If the ring on the S90 is giving you trouble, you can always perform a little bit cardboard surgery and never worry about it again.
It never bothered me enough to fix it, though.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

VomitOnLino posted:

I have the S90, too and it's a fantastic little camera, for when I don't want to lug my dSLR.
Image-quality wise the S95 and the S90 are identical for all that matters. The S90 "loses" HDR modes and some other things that I've never used anyway. The only thing that would have been nice to have for me is the 720p movie mode.

If the ring on the S90 is giving you trouble, you can always perform a little bit cardboard surgery and never worry about it again.
It never bothered me enough to fix it, though.

HDR mode for me = multiple-exposure mode which is something I've always secretly wanted in a digital camera. it's awesome to be able to mess with it and get ghosting.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

The loose ring annoys me a little as it feels a bit cheap. but I cannot say that it has given me any real problems - I've knocked it a few (<10) times when the camera was new and I was perhaps holding it in a way that made this occur more easily, but nothing recently.

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Well Im off to buy a s90 then, thanks.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Can any s90 or s95 owners tell me if it's possible to charge the camera with a USB cable? Unfortunately I don't ace my manual handy and left my battery charger at home. I was hoping I could charge the camera from my computer with a micro-USB cable by it doesn't seem to be working.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

MMD3 posted:

Can any s90 or s95 owners tell me if it's possible to charge the camera with a USB cable?
No, it's not which sucks, everything else I take on a trip charges by USB. I've seen occasional USB Canon battery chargers on sketchy HK websites but they look really dodgy.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

qirex posted:

No, it's not which sucks, everything else I take on a trip charges by USB. I've seen occasional USB Canon battery chargers on sketchy HK websites but they look really dodgy.

wow, that's really really really lame... I just assumed you could. edit: and I JUST realized this entire conversation already happened earlier up this same page. guess I skipped over battery talk because I didn't foresee it being an issue but it already is.

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 2, 2011

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

qirex posted:

Not much to it, really. As long as the battery will charge with 5VDC, it should be fine. The big thing is if the transformer in the charger is poo poo or not. On the other hand, if you're charging $5 no-name batteries in them, it doesn't matter much in the grand scheme.

I have this neat battery charger at home which clips onto batteries and you can move the two poles to wherever they are on the battery itself. The whole works plugs into a USB port or USB wall adapter.

jsmith114
Mar 31, 2005

I am shopping for a cheap, small, most likely used P&S to take with me on random outings and errands that fits the following (as best as possible):

Necessities:
  • Equivalent to 35mm or wider on a full frame camera at widest zoom angle
  • Small enough to fit into a coat pocket / shirt pocket
  • Can be no more then $100 including everything needed to actually use the thing (Tax, Shipping, Batteries, Charger, SD Card...)
  • A shooting mode where, no matter what the camera thinks, it will take a picture every time I hit the shutter
  • Files can make a respectable 6" print with a moderate amount of post work
  • Manual control over exposure of some sort (I suppose scene modes with exposure compensation could satisfy this depending on the implementation)

Preferences:
  • Will fit into a pants pocket
  • Reasonably durable
  • Aperture priority with exposure compensation
  • A Histogram
  • RAW mode
  • Lens is faster then 2.8 at some point in the zoom range
  • Files can make a respectable 10" print with a moderate amount of post work

I have been reading reviews of older Canon SD and A series cameras as CHDK seems like it may help me to meet more of the above criteria and the SD630 / SD700IS look pretty reasonable. I am by no means restricted to a canon though. Does anyone have any suggestions or perhaps remember what P&S people were drooling over 4-6 years ago?

edit - fixed the bullets

jsmith114 fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 4, 2011

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

jsmith114 posted:

Necessities:
  • Can be no more then $100 including everything needed to actually use the thing (Tax, Shipping, Batteries, Charger, SD Card...)

Preferences:
    [list]
  • RAW mode
  • Lens is faster then 2.8 at some point in the zoom range

these are pretty much mutually exclusive.

my advice is save your money... you're being FAR too particular for your budget.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

MMD3 posted:

these are pretty much mutually exclusive.

my advice is save your money... you're being FAR too particular for your budget.

My thoughts too.

An older Canon will probably get you most of the important features, apart from the f2.8 and, as you say, CHDK can probably get you RAW out of it.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp - you can have a search through the various models - but I think that most of the Canon's at that price point are much of a muchness (which is not a negative as they are universally quite good)

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

jsmith114 posted:

I am shopping for a cheap, small, most likely used P&S to take with me on random outings and errands that fits the following (as best as possible):

[...]

Pretty much agreeing with my foreposters here, you want very much even from an "old" camera but are only able/willing to give up $100 of your cash. So I thought why not spend even less and just go and test the waters.

That said, before getting into dSLR, my previous camera was a Canon A570IS, which I loved to death. I took lots of great pictures on it, which people commented on, assuming that I was using an expensive camera. (I was not.)

It has image stabilization, 7.1megapixels and is 35mm with f/2.6 (lower than 2.8 :haw:) at the wide end, 4x zoom, it also supports CHDK as I CHDK'ed mine. The best part is that it takes regular AA's & is currently available at amazon.com used for just shy of 50 bucks.
Maybe there's a newer A series camera out there to beat it - dunno, just sharing my thoughts here.

VomitOnLino fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Feb 4, 2011

surgical scar
Nov 8, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Today only, the Canon G12 is $386.99 (free shipping) from Newegg until 11:59pm PST. On sale for $439.99 + a one day 10% discount if you use the code EMCKHKF67. I think you have to be on Newegg's mailing list for the coupon to work.

That 10% off coupon applies to all Canon P&S cameras, but they don't carry the S95 :(

surgical scar fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 4, 2011

jsmith114
Mar 31, 2005

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. Perhaps I should have written 'Would be great if it had' instead of 'Preferences'.

Vomit - The A570 looks like it will fit my needs as well as can be expected. How well did CHDK work for you?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The Canon G7 can do raw with CHDK and has an f/2.8 lens, but honestly, having seen the raw files coming out of it, you're not missing anything.

EDIT: Oh wait, you wanted FASTER than f/2.8? Haha.

jsmith114
Mar 31, 2005

HPL posted:

EDIT: Oh wait, you wanted FASTER than f/2.8? Haha.

I don't expect to find something that has everything I listed - the preferences section is just stuff that would be nice. Since my now broken Canon G1 opened up to 2.0 I figured there might be something with a lens faster then 2.8

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

jsmith114 posted:

I don't expect to find something that has everything I listed - the preferences section is just stuff that would be nice. Since my now broken Canon G1 opened up to 2.0 I figured there might be something with a lens faster then 2.8

The CHDK on the A570 IS was OK, it enabled some nice stuff, like exposures beyond the 15 seconds limit and extremely fast shutter speeds like 1/4000 and such, I actually rarely used it for the RAW modes as the RAW was usually not that much better than the best JPEG the camera could put out.

That said, there actually was a bit of headroom gained using RAW, but it's 1/2 of a stop at best. Which is, of course, a far cry from any dSLR.

Conclusively, I mostly shot the standard JPEGs and the results came out just fine. ISO 200 is perfectly useable, as is ISO 400 with CHDK RAW. ISO 400 JPEGs are also are okay-ish, when needed. ISO 800 is OK in emergencies I guess, RAW could end up being actually good-ish - never tried, though.

If you want I can upload roughly 100MB of pictures for you to trawl through, all taken with this camera. Of course it doesn't have to be THIS one camera -- I'm basically just trying to dispel the myth that you need a $300+ camera to take good pictures, no matter how much the gear-heads and arm-chair photographers insist on it.

VomitOnLino fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 5, 2011

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

VomitOnLino posted:

If you want I can upload roughly 100MB of pictures for you to trawl through, all taken with this camera. Of course it doesn't have to be THIS one camera -- I'm basically just trying to dispel the myth that you need a $300+ camera to take good pictures, no matter how much the gear-heads and arm-chair photographers insist on it.

I think people are just saying you are going to spend $300 on a camera that will do everything he listed. If he can compromise a bit on a point or two, he can get away with quite a bit less.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I'm going to buy my Fiancee a tiny P&S camera because her Nokia 6120c takes some of the shittiest photos I've ever seen.

Currently I'm looking at the SD1200IS and SD780IS. I'm partial to the 780 as a few years ago I was going to get it but stepped down to the 770 and loved it. The 780 is a bit smaller so would work well for her.

Any opinion on which to go for or if there's another camera I should be considering?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I haven't been able to find a good thread anywhere on the forums that includes / compares cell phone cameras with point and shoots. This thread at least covers point and shoots.

Currently, our camera situation is: I have an iPhone 4, my gf has an iPhone 3GS, and I have a Casio Exilim that is about 5 years old. My gf is in the design program at an art school, and while she doesn't do much photographic art, she takes a lot of photos for reference, and every once in a while uses a heavily photoshopped photo for some assignment. The iPhone 3GS camera is OK for Facebook pics of "look at this silly thing", but mostly useless for her school needs. The Casio Exilim has not aged well, it's only 5 megapixels, she complains that the pictures are often grainy, and it is missing a lot of modern settings like a macro mode. My iPhone 4 is a better camera than the Exilim in most ways, and the usability and convenience of it is really nice: being able to instantly upload photos, limited image editing software on-platform is fantastic, using the touch screen to focus is a great feature, and having a camera on a device I use all the time is great. On the other hand, point and shoots, especially above a certain price point are just going to offer an image quality and other features like optical zoom that you just won't get on most phones.

She doesn't need a new camera right now, but would like one soon, and we want to plan out what we are getting. My questions are: At about what price point are point and shoots going to be better than high end smart phone? I know these don't directly correlate, but it's the decision we are trying to make, so anything you have would be useful. We're willing to save up for a S90 / S95 if it's absolutely worth it, but if we can get away with something cheaper that would be great.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
I'd say if your iPhone camera is doing what you need it to do for now, then delay getting a point and shoot until you've saved up for a nice one like the S95. I wasn't into photography much before, but after getting the S95 the joy of using a nice camera was beyond belief.

Also, this may sound retarded, but wipe the lens on the iPhone camera with a soft cloth. That thing gets smudged like heck and a simple wipe makes a world of difference in your photo qauality.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Chainclaw posted:

I haven't been able to find a good thread anywhere on the forums that includes / compares cell phone cameras with point and shoots. This thread at least covers point and shoots.

Currently, our camera situation is: I have an iPhone 4, my gf has an iPhone 3GS, and I have a Casio Exilim that is about 5 years old. My gf is in the design program at an art school, and while she doesn't do much photographic art, she takes a lot of photos for reference, and every once in a while uses a heavily photoshopped photo for some assignment. The iPhone 3GS camera is OK for Facebook pics of "look at this silly thing", but mostly useless for her school needs. The Casio Exilim has not aged well, it's only 5 megapixels, she complains that the pictures are often grainy, and it is missing a lot of modern settings like a macro mode. My iPhone 4 is a better camera than the Exilim in most ways, and the usability and convenience of it is really nice: being able to instantly upload photos, limited image editing software on-platform is fantastic, using the touch screen to focus is a great feature, and having a camera on a device I use all the time is great. On the other hand, point and shoots, especially above a certain price point are just going to offer an image quality and other features like optical zoom that you just won't get on most phones.

She doesn't need a new camera right now, but would like one soon, and we want to plan out what we are getting. My questions are: At about what price point are point and shoots going to be better than high end smart phone? I know these don't directly correlate, but it's the decision we are trying to make, so anything you have would be useful. We're willing to save up for a S90 / S95 if it's absolutely worth it, but if we can get away with something cheaper that would be great.

To me it sounds like any newer camera will be a huge upgrade, but I'd base some of it on how much low light shooting you (and your gf) do.

The grainy thing is because of the small sensors P&S and Phone cameras have, they don't let in as much light, so when light isn't ideal they get grainy. A better camera can do various things to help in low light (better lens, software, sensor), and that's a large part of the expense of something like the S95.

A flash helps of course, but the small flashes on a P&S or iPhone won't be very effective beyond like 6-10 feet.

ZeroConnection
Aug 8, 2008
If your girl friend would like to take pictures in a dark room , i would suggest an old dslr. Even though it might have lower megapixels , it would take very good pictures at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hairysammoth
Jun 2, 2004

I am the Naked King of Shoreditch, AND I AM NOT AFRAID!

subx posted:

To me it sounds like any newer camera will be a huge upgrade, but I'd base some of it on how much low light shooting you (and your gf) do.

The grainy thing is because of the small sensors P&S and Phone cameras have, they don't let in as much light, so when light isn't ideal they get grainy. A better camera can do various things to help in low light (better lens, software, sensor), and that's a large part of the expense of something like the S95.

A flash helps of course, but the small flashes on a P&S or iPhone won't be very effective beyond like 6-10 feet.

I reckon subx is on the money here: my guess would be that any non-awful contemporary P&S would be a very pleasant upgrade from both your current cameras.

If you want to save your money rather than save up for an S95, a 2nd-hand S90 is also terrific (although, being a notably good camera, 2nd hand prices aren't as much of a saving as you might expect). If you were looking for a cheaper P&S that would do the job... I had a go with the Fuji Finepix F80 and really like it. You can get them new from about $160, unbelievably. For the money, it's terrific, and has lots of nice options (e.g. aperture priority) that you often don't get at this price.

There are cameras that specifically try and deal with that small-sensor, graininess thing, but they're more expensive again. Things like the Ricoh GRD3 and Olympus XZ-1 have the same small sensors but fast lenses. The fascinating-but-flawed Sigma DP series have the beautiful and bigger Foveon sensor, but the rest of the hardware struggles to handle it. And of course, the forthcoming Fujifilm X100, which has us all excited exactly because it promises a fast lens and a big APS-C sensor in a relatively small P&S.

These are all a lot more money though; if I were you, I'd save my cash and go for a decent new P&S. A 2nd-hand S90 or an F80 (or similar) would both be great.

• Locked thread