Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

Anjow posted:

I have have had a watch for 5 years now, it claims to be '100 meters water resistant'. It is now starting to show condensation on the inside of the glass, but I've never worn it in the shower or bath, or had it under a tap. The wettest it has got has been rain.

What's the best thing to do about this?

Could also be condensation from your body heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Robin Sparkles posted:

Could also be condensation from your body heat.

Backwards.

If the place where the watch was assembled was much hotter and had more humidity than the palce where it was worn, and the watch got cooler than the place of assembly, it might fog from the internal air.

Body heat would clear the condensation not cause it. Hotter temps of the watch mean more vapor can be suspended, lower temps mean it condenses/fogs.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

kapalama posted:

Backwards.

If the place where the watch was assembled was much hotter and had more humidity than the palce where it was worn, and the watch got cooler than the place of assembly, it might fog from the internal air.

Body heat would clear the condensation not cause it. Hotter temps of the watch mean more vapor can be suspended, lower temps mean it condenses/fogs.

Learnt something today.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

kapalama posted:

He's had this watch for five years though, so this would only happen right when the watch left the place of assembly. The humidity inside the sealed environment of the watch would theoretically be constant as long as it is sealed. But unless the internal environment was a vacuum (which wouldn't have any humidity in it) it's not sealed against temperature changes, and has probably fluctuated thousands of times since it's creation.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Elijya posted:

He's had this watch for five years though, so this would only happen right when the watch left the place of assembly. The humidity inside the sealed environment of the watch would theoretically be constant as long as it is sealed. But unless the internal environment was a vacuum (which wouldn't have any humidity in it) it's not sealed against temperature changes, and has probably fluctuated thousands of times since it's creation.

Which would only matter if the ORing seal had failed. If the Oring is not compromised, then the "assembly air" and nothing else is ever inside it, regardless of how many cycles it undergoes.

Once the Oring seal starts to leak, then you can have air exchange, and more importantly going under water will flood it., since there is pressure driving the water in.

Any underwater instrumentation is assembled in specifically low humidity, low temperature conditions, because otherwise a diver who uses his watch in low temperature water would always have fogging problems, because water quickly lowers temperature (25 times faster than air).

OF course crappy manufacturers can do whatever they want, but Casio and Seiko (for instance) always assemble in proper conditions, with low temp, and low humidity. Which is why they charge so much to change batteries, and why no watch shop guarantees water resistance after a battery change at a jewelry shop.

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jul 19, 2011

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Wyatt posted:

Just got Outlook 2007 on my work computer. When I attach a file, it actually shows the file as an icon in the body of the email. This is retarded. How do I make it so that it appears up by the subject line like Outlook 2003?

I actually figured this out. So in case anyone else wants to know, the attachment shows up in the body of the email if the message is in rich text format (which all mine were, by default). If it's in plain text or HTML, it will show up underneath the subject line.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Xerin posted:

I just know one is pink and another is green. I have a rough picture of it: right here but it is extremely blurry.

I don't even know if it is a real gem or fake gem, if its costume jewelery (although that turns their fingers green usually) or what and any questions about it is "I don't know, they were given to me by two different people."

Are you sure it's separate chips of gems? That is a goddamn awful picture but I think it looks a bit like mother of pearl. It comes in all sorts of colors and shapes and sizes, so you may have to google around and play with keywords to find something you like.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
If an application is frozen in Windows 7 and the task manager still shows the status as 'running,' does that mean it will always come around as long as I'm willing to wait long enough?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
This was a shot from the driving drunk ad (where people had massive pools of alcohol sloshing in their cars):

Can someone ID the city for me?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

TheAngryDrunk posted:

If an application is frozen in Windows 7 and the task manager still shows the status as 'running,' does that mean it will always come around as long as I'm willing to wait long enough?

I'm not 100% sure but I believe no because a single thread in the app may make it seem frozen to you while everything else is running fine in the background, application wise. Using process explorer you can see the threads and kill an unresponsive one and resume normal operation, sometimes.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

This was a shot from the driving drunk ad (where people had massive pools of alcohol sloshing in their cars):

Can someone ID the city for me?

Looks like Houston to me.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...9,0.784149&z=11

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I'm sitting here bored on a conf call and have been looking at google maps almost ever since he posted that trying to figure it out.

Houston was the 2nd place I looked and I wrote it off for the river and lake not looking right.

I've only been looking at cities big enough to have huge rings of highways like that. I'm going to be pissed if it turns out those cops are looking at just little surface streets around a downtown area that's close to a big pond or reservoir rather than a lake.

Or if it's Houston, I'll just hang my head in shame then.

I hope its not just something made up just because they didn't want a map-maker to sue them under dmca.

edit: VVV I suck. (in my defense we only get 1440x900 monitors at work and its hard to look at more than one thing)VVV

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 18, 2011

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Schweinhund posted:

This is the best. Now let's go bust those drunkards in Galena Park!

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Schweinhund posted:

Heh, beaten......

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ChubbyEmoBabe fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 18, 2011

Yuriki
Mar 27, 2004

Who the hell do you think I am?

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Are you sure it's separate chips of gems? That is a goddamn awful picture but I think it looks a bit like mother of pearl. It comes in all sorts of colors and shapes and sizes, so you may have to google around and play with keywords to find something you like.

I see, it looks somewhat like mother of pearl. I see "enamel" rings that have the same band, but they don't have the same design. Thanks though, it does kinda look a lot like mother of pearl.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
I just started using ebay and I'm kind of confused; if the seller accepts paypal but the logo has credit card logos under it, does that mean I can pay by credit card without signing up for paypal? Their FAQ is kind of confusing...

mambo italiano
Apr 4, 2009
Does SA have a law questions Thread?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

mambo italiano posted:

Does SA have a law questions Thread?

The All New Legal Questions Mega-O-Wamma

mambo italiano
Apr 4, 2009

Thank you

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

A while back I had to pull all of my music off of my ipod as a backup and now I'm noticing that it skipped a few tracks. Many of my albums are missing a track or two and it's a pain in the rear end.

Does anybody know of any way to automate the process of finding which albums it may have happened to? I'd rather not check every single one manually, I'd love it if there was any way to have a list generated of any album I have with a jump in track numbers. It wouldn't help me if any albums are missing the last track but it'd be a good start

OnFire
Jun 2, 2008

Okay I just booted up my account again after a sojourn from SA forums.

My question is what happened to BYOB?

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

OnFire posted:

Okay I just booted up my account again after a sojourn from SA forums.

My question is what happened to BYOB?

Welcome back. BYOB, LF and YCS can now all be found in the Retarded Forum for Assholes: http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=251

wheres my arm
Feb 1, 2008

In some episodes of Star Trek The Next Generation, Picard doesn't wear the regular red onesie. Instead, he has this stupid poo poo on:

http://www.kennl.dk/pictures/Galileo7/Loot/Images/Picard.jpg

What is the significance of this outfit? He looks like he was lazy about getting dressed that day.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

I just started using ebay and I'm kind of confused; if the seller accepts paypal but the logo has credit card logos under it, does that mean I can pay by credit card without signing up for paypal? Their FAQ is kind of confusing...

I believe current eBay policy is that you're only supposed to pay through paypal. When you set up a paypal account, you attach it to a credit card and paypal will make charges to it when you buy something. If you plan on selling things and need to accept payments, you need to attach a checking account to your paypal, but if you're just buying, a credit card will do. eBay owns paypal, so it's in their own interest since it means more money for them, but it's also about security. If a seller fucks you over it's much easier for eBay to do something about it if the exchange is through paypal. Now, you CAN contact a seller and see if they'll accept payment some other way (like a money order or a cash exchange if the seller is local) and they might, but eBay says you're not supposed to and so many sellers may turn you down. But really, if you're going to be using a credit card anyway it's much better to use it through paypal. The seller never even sees your credit card number, and if the seller is just some schlub selling things in their spare time who doesn't actually have a credit card machine (like me) it simplifies things a lot.

wheres my arm posted:

In some episodes of Star Trek The Next Generation, Picard doesn't wear the regular red onesie. Instead, he has this stupid poo poo on:

What is the significance of this outfit? He looks like he was lazy about getting dressed that day.

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Starfleet_uniform_%282366-2370s%29#Captain.27s_variant

Elijya fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 19, 2011

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Are there any commercial versions of things like http://www.ladyada.net/make/mintyboost/ which is a device to charge USB powered things using AA batteries. I've not got the time or resources to build one of those myself but would love to have something like that for a trip where I'll have much better access to AA batteries than to places where I can plug things in. Does anyone have any experience with something like that?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Sad Panda posted:

Are there any commercial versions of things like http://www.ladyada.net/make/mintyboost/ which is a device to charge USB powered things using AA batteries. I've not got the time or resources to build one of those myself but would love to have something like that for a trip where I'll have much better access to AA batteries than to places where I can plug things in. Does anyone have any experience with something like that?
I used to have a thing like that, but it used a 9V battery instead. It was pretty handy actually, and I wish I hadn't lost it :( If I can remember any details I'll post them here, but they do exist at least.

e: A quick look on Amazon shows this and this, which could work.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 19, 2011

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

wheres my arm posted:

If you look closely at some of those, everyone is wearing something like kilts. (I too have been watching old Star Trek, and boy, the first season is almost as lame (special effects wise) as the original series, which I tried to watch, and just had to give up on.)

One of the things I noticed from watching the first show is that it is true what someone said one time: Everyone who thinks they are doing an impression of Captain Kirk is, in fact, actually doing an impression of Kevin Pollak's Captain Kirk impression. The family guy version of Shatner is a good example of that.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Sad Panda posted:

Best Buy had one that I bought. But the salsemen did not even know what it was for. Great for traveling on those 13 hour flights from the US to Asia. They also have them all over the Philippines, I imagine for the same reason.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Stupid Star Trek Question:

Is that empath character Troi supposed to have a speech defect or is she doing some accent?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

kapalama posted:

Stupid Star Trek Question:

Is that empath character Troi supposed to have a speech defect or is she doing some accent?
She was doing an accent at first to make the character seem exotic. She toned it down over time and it was basically gone after a few years.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

She was asked to do that to make her alien character seem more exotic, but then they brought in Majel Barret to play her mother and she didn't use any accent at all so it was pointless.

shirtninjas
Nov 15, 2009
What is this song that has been stuck in my head for days?

It's a classical piece and all the notes are the same duration... e.g. all eighth notes or however long they are. If anyone can figure this out you get a cookie.

edit: I think it's in 3/4 time if that helps.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sad Panda posted:

It's not exactly the same, but, there's this: http://www.igo.com/accessories/powerxtender-charger/invt/ps002640004/

You put AA batteries in it, attach the correct tip for a device, and charge. When you order it from them you get one tip free, and most portable devices these days take a microUSB plug to charge from so I'd reccomend that and searching for the tips for other devices you may have on the site: http://www.igo.com/tips/a-series-tips-for-mobile-devices/icat/axxtips/ This particular tip gives you a standard USB port to plug devices into: http://www.igo.com/a-series-tips-for-mobile-devices/igo-power-tip-a46-for-ipod-shuffle+select-mp3s/invt/660064601/ but i do again reccomend you buy specific tips first, just because it's less awkward to carry around.

I've used this charger thing for many years and it works great. The other nice thing is that you can use the same tips with the iGo car adapters and wall power adapters as well.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
This has been going around facebook: Blah blah blah many great dates that have all ones in them, blah blah, also if you add the last two digits of your year of birth plus the age you will turn this year, it will add up to 111.

Whats the breakdown of math behind that as it relates to calendars? How often does it happen?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

shirtninjas posted:

What is this song that has been stuck in my head for days?

It's a classical piece and all the notes are the same duration... e.g. all eighth notes or however long they are. If anyone can figure this out you get a cookie.

edit: I think it's in 3/4 time if that helps.

Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring. In 9/8, too.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I tried to add my newish credit card to paypal but it's giving me an error that "card # is in use on another paypal account"

This is probably because my wife has the same card # and beat me to setting it up on paypal.

Is there any easy way around this? paypal making an exception or something?

I prefer to do all my purchasing on that card just for the better protections visa gives, rewards, and it simplifies my bookkeeping time on my bank account by only having to see mortgage, bills and CC payments there.

shirtninjas
Nov 15, 2009

hooah posted:

Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring. In 9/8, too.

THANK YOU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Wagonburner posted:

I tried to add my newish credit card to paypal but it's giving me an error that "card # is in use on another paypal account"

This is probably because my wife has the same card # and beat me to setting it up on paypal.

Is there any easy way around this? paypal making an exception or something?

I prefer to do all my purchasing on that card just for the better protections visa gives, rewards, and it simplifies my bookkeeping time on my bank account by only having to see mortgage, bills and CC payments there.

AFAICT Paypal has no workarond for this. But most CC account will allow a second card tied to the same account to be issued.