Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Since it hadn't happened to me all game I thought they programmed elevators and lifts in such a way that you couldn't get crushed. I then proceeded to get crushed by the elevator in Area 51 while trying to enter it too fast while it was coming down to me. I just really love the idea of this nearly all-powerful dude with super strength being no match for...an elevator. He survives so much poo poo up to that point, and then Page is lucky enough to be saved by a fluke.

I can only imagine what Page might have said after finding out the nemesis storming about the lab accidentally killed himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Whew. Okay this took me like half a day but since I'm on a sick leave, who cares.

This is a playthrough of Deus Ex GOTY edition, vanilla, on Realistic difficulty with a twist. I tried to screw around with the game as much as possible leading to some hilarious moments. I left all the cutscenes pretty much intact so you can follow the story. Naturally there are spoilers.
The twist is that JC gets "premonitions" of horrible ways he's going to die in black and white.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKm_ZgsiDjg
In this episode among other things you'll see some Super Mario action, Gunther going apeshit, and learn that NSF all have a severe case of autism.

Let me know if you liked it and want to see more so that I'll start an LP thread or something.
I plan to play through the game doing stupid poo poo like this, starting out nonlethal and growing progressively violent towards the end.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ If you haven't already read Sunglasses at Night, DTE's anti-walkthrough for Deus Ex, you probably should. It's basically a catalogue of ways to screw with the game. The supplementary pages linked from it have some weirdness, too.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Vic posted:

Whew. Okay this took me like half a day but since I'm on a sick leave, who cares.

This is a playthrough of Deus Ex GOTY edition, vanilla, on Realistic difficulty with a twist. I tried to screw around with the game as much as possible leading to some hilarious moments. I left all the cutscenes pretty much intact so you can follow the story. Naturally there are spoilers.
The twist is that JC gets "premonitions" of horrible ways he's going to die in black and white.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKm_ZgsiDjg
In this episode among other things you'll see some Super Mario action, Gunther going apeshit, and learn that NSF all have a severe case of autism.

Let me know if you liked it and want to see more so that I'll start an LP thread or something.
I plan to play through the game doing stupid poo poo like this, starting out nonlethal and growing progressively violent towards the end.

Personally I'd love to see more of these. I was laughing pretty much the whole video, being unaware of these ridiculous holes in the enemy AI and such.

Zeerust fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 19, 2011

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I knew DX enemies were dumb, but I've never really tested the limits on just how completely moronic they are... they are literally retarded.

I'd love to see more videos like this. Needs more black and white idiot mistake death sequences though! Those were really funny, and oddly educational as well.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 19, 2011

A Quiet American
Nov 5, 2008

Vic posted:

The idea seemed silly to me when I read it, but really grew on me as I watched the video. You should keep going, it's an interesting playthrough.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Vic posted:

Do an LP with no weapons, no augmentations, no items, realistic difficulty. I want to see what someone else comes up with when they try that, it'd probably be very different from how I did it just because Deus Ex is that kinda game.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Chakron posted:

Do an LP with no weapons, no augmentations, no items, realistic difficulty. I want to see what someone else comes up with when they try that, it'd probably be very different from how I did it just because Deus Ex is that kinda game.
Can't believe no one posted this yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAVRpvgYVMg

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Can't believe no one posted this yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAVRpvgYVMg

Yeah that's Alginon's run, he beat me to it :(

http://forumplanet.gamespy.com/general_deus_ex_discussion/b49372/14593517/p1

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Did they base this stuff on government memos circulating at that time? I know it looks a lot like what we see now with the If You See Something, Say Something campaign.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

StickySweater posted:

Did they base this stuff on government memos circulating at that time? I know it looks a lot like what we see now with the If You See Something, Say Something campaign.

I think they just asked some people "What traits would you expect the average PC gamer to have?" Then added "foreign" to the list.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

HoldYourFire posted:

I think they just asked some people "What traits would you expect the average PC gamer to have?" Then added "foreign" to the list.

This is undoubtedly true, but it's still really creepy how close they got to actual US government recommendations. You could probably send that bulletin from the game around as a chain e-mail purporting to be a real government document, and most people probably would believe it without too much convincing.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

ErIog posted:

This is undoubtedly true, but it's still really creepy how close they got to actual US government recommendations. You could probably send that bulletin from the game around as a chain e-mail purporting to be a real government document, and most people probably would believe it without too much convincing.

It probably says a lot of things about me that I don't want it to, but when 9/11 happened, my first thought was "I hope they don't form UNATCO". I think part of why Deus Ex is so great is that the game world does feel like we could end up there.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

*Obligatory pointing out that the Twin Towers are absent from the game's New York skyline, despite existing at the time it was published.*

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

*Obligatory pointing out that the Twin Towers are absent from the game's New York skyline, despite existing at the time it was published.*
DUDE!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

StickySweater posted:

Nope, DX predates our current insanity about terrorism. It's just that the creators were smart enough to accurately predict how the country would react.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
i made a bunch of dumb videos half a year ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut1BpCzXIq8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ai4Uf2ZFjc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0kiTVPd81E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lqd9OE1P5E

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I'm at the air force base towards the start of the game and I've only been able to get the strength aug, haven't found any other canisters so far.

Am I doing it wrong :(

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

CelestialScribe posted:

I'm at the air force base towards the start of the game and I've only been able to get the strength aug, haven't found any other canisters so far.

Am I doing it wrong :(

You've missed some, but there are duplicates later.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Bremen posted:

You've missed some, but there are duplicates later.

Really? I went quite a ways with just a strength aug.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The predictions about going overboard about terrorism paranoia may have been eerily accurate, but at least it looks like the real-world FEMA isn't nearly as sinister as the one run by Simons. So there's that.

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Really? I went quite a ways with just a strength aug.

What else do you need?
(ok regen is nice too)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

KnightLight posted:

What else do you need?
(ok regen is nice too)

Comedy legs

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Speedball posted:

The predictions about going overboard about terrorism paranoia may have been eerily accurate, but at least it looks like the real-world FEMA isn't nearly as sinister as the one run by Simons. So there's that.

Obligatory

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They really should approach Glenn Beck to cameo in Human Revolution, don't tell him what it's about or anything, just start him talking.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Haha oh god. This kid got so much abuse in the past 10 years.

Anyway I started the Let's Play thread I mentioned, in case you're interested.

Lamebot, may I link to your video in the LP thread? It perfectly fits with the theme!

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Speedball posted:

Clearly his appointment has yet to be finalised.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

Speedball posted:

As long as it isn't run by Oliver North. If someone like him gets in charge then watch the gently caress out. (If only I had photoshop skills, I'd make a great trench coat wearing augmented North).

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Vic posted:

Haha oh god. This kid got so much abuse in the past 10 years.

Anyway I started the Let's Play thread I mentioned, in case you're interested.

Lamebot, may I link to your video in the LP thread? It perfectly fits with the theme!

sure thing. i'll check that out.

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes

Casimir Radon posted:

They really should approach Glenn Beck to cameo in Human Revolution, don't tell him what it's about or anything, just start him talking.

A character like him would be awesome to have on big TV screens playing all over the city and in store windows while you're walking around, kind of like that reporter guy in V for Vendetta.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Casimir Radon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIsOGN2vutQ

Hell to the yeah, son. Alex Jones is the real deal and would totally do it, Glenn Beck is just a talking head who says and does whatever it takes to sell books and make ad revenue, being in a game like this would hurt his image.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Doc Hawkins posted:

They aren't they because they ran out of memory but it's still kind of eerie regardless.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIsOGN2vutQ

Hell to the yeah, son. Alex Jones is the real deal and would totally do it, Glenn Beck is just a talking head who says and does whatever it takes to sell books and make ad revenue, being in a game like this would hurt his image.
I don't know much about Alex Jones other then his crazy Obama yell so what do you mean by the real deal?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Grey Fox V2 posted:

They aren't they because they ran out of memory but it's still kind of eerie regardless.

I don't know much about Alex Jones other then his crazy Obama yell so what do you mean by the real deal?

He's actually insane and believes what he says, beck may or may not believe what he says.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
This is my version of the video, with a silly ominous tune behind him, in hopes of making it even more clear that Alex Jones is loving nuts.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

JC meets a pimp in Hell's Kitchen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piOpEb6MqUs

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Didn't that PREY game have some random nutso radio host playing during some of the alien abduction parts?

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I was really excited when Namless Mod finally came out. gently caress yes, basically a new Deus Ex game!

I got to the goat temple and quit. More than anything the map design killed it for me. The main parts of the city are kind of like that Paris at night aboveground map but lovely, poorly scaled, boxy, mostly uninteresting, and they feel like they were designed by a complete amateur.

The balance was poor too, in my opinion. They throw some really annoying combat areas at you pretty early before you have the resources to give yourself options other than saving and reloading.

That said there's likely some Deus Ex fun hiding in there. To those that got further than me, does the game get better?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Didn't that PREY game have some random nutso radio host playing during some of the alien abduction parts?

Yeah, Art Bell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Bell

His recorded parts were actually pretty awesome and well done.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Nathilus posted:

I was really excited when Namless Mod finally came out. gently caress yes, basically a new Deus Ex game!

I got to the goat temple and quit. More than anything the map design killed it for me. The main parts of the city are kind of like that Paris at night aboveground map but lovely, poorly scaled, boxy, mostly uninteresting, and they feel like they were designed by a complete amateur.

The balance was poor too, in my opinion. They throw some really annoying combat areas at you pretty early before you have the resources to give yourself options other than saving and reloading.

That said there's likely some Deus Ex fun hiding in there. To those that got further than me, does the game get better?

YES. It really pays to explore every nook and cranny, and before any combat you can have the DTS, your pistols, a bunch of lams and 20 mm ammo, and you're totally set for everything. Then you break in at worldcorp and steal everything, and you're totally loaded. The city-maps are awful, but the indoor areas are amazing. You're still at the beginning, the next few maps are actually really well done (with the rogue AI taking over your brain and stuff).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I just started Nameless too. I'm at the point which I assume splits the plot, where I'm supposed to save/kill Dragon. Given how ludicrous the notion was, not to mention that the dude could just be lying, I killed him. Would I be correct in assuming I'm now on the 'evil' path through the game? Since it's my first go-through, should I be worried about spoiling the main plot stuff quickly, and therefore being less interesting than doing it straight? Or is it enough of a separate game that going in either order is worthwhile?