Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Godzilla07 posted:

The battery meter still sucks poo poo. I'm back to having a widget on my desktop until someone makes a new circle battery meter for 2.3.

Have you tried this? I know it works great on Froyo but I don't know about Gingerbread. I'm guessing it might work since you upload your framework-res.apk to make sure it's customized for your ROM. But maybe Gingerbread is too different from Froyo, I'm just guessing.

http://circle.glx.nl/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woodhead
Jan 29, 2008
try harder next time.
I'm sure this gets asked every so often but what is the most up to date, stable, etc. ROM that I should install on my Vibrant since Samsung are a bunch of shitheads and I'm ready to update to 2.2+. Either stock or a modified version is fine, I'm just looking for opinions on the "best". I've never installed a rom on this phone, but ran several on previous android phones.

Also any special things I need to be aware of on this phone? I am rooted and Titanium backed up.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Have you tried this? I know it works great on Froyo but I don't know about Gingerbread. I'm guessing it might work since you upload your framework-res.apk to make sure it's customized for your ROM. But maybe Gingerbread is too different from Froyo, I'm just guessing.

http://circle.glx.nl/
I'm almost positive that Gingerbread changes the location of the stuff that used to be in framework-res.apk so this doesn't work.

In fact, that's the exact kitchen I want to use as I've become quite addicted to the circle with the disappearing hashes at the points of my choosing.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Kitchen most definitely does not work with gingerbread... yet.

Check out their XDA thread for updates.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

I miss MIUI :qq:

The along-the-top-bar battery meter is the best battery meter ever created, and being stuck with the stock GB battery meter is rough for telling the remaining battery life.

Yeah, I have BattStatt, I just miss the loving top bar battery meter.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Casao posted:

Speaking of GApps, new system kinda blows - you still have to flash Gapps package every. single. update.

Which is weird, when I was using the unofficial CM7 nightlies, I only had to do Gapps the first upgrade from CM6 to a nightly.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Casao posted:

Yeah, I have BattStatt, I just miss the loving top bar battery meter.

You and me both. I'm using MinimalisticText on the desktop for a battery "meter" right now because it fits well with my overall theme. And I did not realize you have to flash the GApps package every single time you update, that sucks, but it's only 10 extra seconds or so.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

quadratic posted:

You can pretty much ignore everything I've said. I thought your problem was that you couldn't get the phone into download mode :sigh:

What, if anything, shows up in device manager when you connect it?

When I'm in download mode, it shows "Unknown USB Device". It's weird because when I have it plugged in during any other mode, it shows up as "Samsung Composite USB Device".

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Doctor Butts posted:

Kitchen most definitely does not work with gingerbread... yet.

Check out their XDA thread for updates.

Bummer, oh well.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

zamin posted:

When I'm in download mode, it shows "Unknown USB Device". It's weird because when I have it plugged in during any other mode, it shows up as "Samsung Composite USB Device".

Have you tried deleting all related drivers with USBDeview as an admin(x86 here/64-bit here)and starting from fresh? That sorted it when USB shenanigans happened with my HTC.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

FYI for Nook Color owners, someone got Nookie Froyo dual booting from internal memory, so you can have Stock/Nookie dual booting going. Going to try it tonight when I get home.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Casao posted:

FYI for Nook Color owners, someone got Nookie Froyo dual booting from internal memory, so you can have Stock/Nookie dual booting going. Going to try it tonight when I get home.

Is there a way to get the Nook's default recovery back after doing this?

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

Vagrancy posted:

Have you tried deleting all related drivers with USBDeview as an admin(x86 here/64-bit here)and starting from fresh? That sorted it when USB shenanigans happened with my HTC.

Just tried that. Still the same thing.

Why is my computer so stupid :sigh:

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth
Not really a question about rooting, but is anyone else having trouble with Google Voice sending text notifications even though the option is off?

Also, what is the consensus on app killing in CM7? I know there was discussion of whether it's necessary at all, but what do you guys think?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Moogs posted:

Not really a question about rooting, but is anyone else having trouble with Google Voice sending text notifications even though the option is off?

Also, what is the consensus on app killing in CM7? I know there was discussion of whether it's necessary at all, but what do you guys think?

Nearly everything that needs to be killed will be force closed by the system anyway.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

woodhead posted:

I'm sure this gets asked every so often but what is the most up to date, stable, etc. ROM that I should install on my Vibrant since Samsung are a bunch of shitheads and I'm ready to update to 2.2+. Either stock or a modified version is fine, I'm just looking for opinions on the "best". I've never installed a rom on this phone, but ran several on previous android phones.

Also any special things I need to be aware of on this phone? I am rooted and Titanium backed up.

I'm using Nero5 atm, and I'm sure we'll see Nero6 in the next few days as a new build of Froyo was leaked yesterday and the new modem is significantly better.

Just make sure you read the directions exactly (that means let it sit for 15 minutes after the first boot, then reboot), and don't restore system data in TB.

Also, it doesn't hurt to make a nandroid back up through CWM if you want a second back up. Just copy that and the TB folder to a computer in case you have a freak accident. You most likely won't need it, but good backup habits never hurt when you're dicking around with an expensive phone.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I dunno. Why would you do this, though?

woodhead
Jan 29, 2008
try harder next time.

Solkanar512 posted:

I'm using Nero5 atm, and I'm sure we'll see Nero6 in the next few days as a new build of Froyo was leaked yesterday and the new modem is significantly better.

Just make sure you read the directions exactly (that means let it sit for 15 minutes after the first boot, then reboot), and don't restore system data in TB.

Also, it doesn't hurt to make a nandroid back up through CWM if you want a second back up. Just copy that and the TB folder to a computer in case you have a freak accident. You most likely won't need it, but good backup habits never hurt when you're dicking around with an expensive phone.

Hmm, I didn't wait and installed the newest Axura? rom from yesterday. Unfortunately I did restore system data with TB, what kind of problems will that cause (what exactly is system data) and should I re-install the rom? It is working fine, btw. I also went ahead and installed the KA6 modem and it works great too.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Casao posted:

I dunno. Why would you do this, though?

Terrified of bricking the drat thing. The default recovery will restore to factory if it fails to boot 8 times.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

zamin posted:

Just tried that. Still the same thing.

Why is my computer so stupid :sigh:

Google'd out of curiosity and found this, any help?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=8993723&postcount=21

If not the OP of the same topic seems to think it's a hardware issue, and replacing the device worked for him.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Terrified of bricking the drat thing. The default recovery will restore to factory if it fails to boot 8 times.

It's the same as a phone - as long as you have CWM installed and don't try to kill it + your rom simultaneously, you should be absolutely fine.

Apparently, TheDudesAndroid and Attn1 have CM7 booting and "running" on the Nook Color.

This is going to own hardcore.

EVGA Longoria fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 19, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

zamin posted:

Wasn't sure about it, though since the update.zip is ~93MB and the md5 verified Odin .tar is almost 300MB.
I actually still have a copy of the update.zip sitting around although I never used it. It is 93 MB and has a MD5 hash of 708b67bb9ee9e7fa380c8b785fde395c, if you want to verify it. But sounds like you're passed that idea.

The Odin .tar is much bigger than the update because it contains a complete image of all the device filesystems and installs by reflashing everything. Whereas the update.zip only contains the updated components.

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

In CM7, is there an easy way to delete all my contacts? I've cleaned them up in Google Contacts, so I want to clear out all I have and then just sync with that.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Casao posted:

It's the same as a phone - as long as you have CWM installed and don't try to kill it + your rom simultaneously, you should be absolutely fine.

Apparently, TheDudesAndroid and Attn1 have CM7 booting and "running" on the Nook Color.

This is going to own hardcore.

I guess I'll try it, then. You're saying we're going to have 2.3 on our NCs before 2.2 is out officially?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Moogs posted:

In CM7, is there an easy way to delete all my contacts? I've cleaned them up in Google Contacts, so I want to clear out all I have and then just sync with that.

Do you have some that are on the phone only and not synced to your Google account? Because if they're all Google account contacts then you don't need to do anything, it should go automatically.

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

big mean giraffe posted:

Do you have some that are on the phone only and not synced to your Google account? Because if they're all Google account contacts then you don't need to do anything, it should go automatically.

Yeeah, I think that's my problem. I was saving them to my phone instead of just to Google. I've learned my lesson, but I think I need to delete these manually.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Moogs posted:

Yeeah, I think that's my problem. I was saving them to my phone instead of just to Google. I've learned my lesson, but I think I need to delete these manually.

Try "Contact Remover" from the Market.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

I guess I'll try it, then. You're saying we're going to have 2.3 on our NCs before 2.2 is out officially?

CM7 is booting and "running" on NC according to some CM forum posts. I expect to see it by February, so yeah, we'll probably see GB before 2.2, unless BN pumps that poo poo out quickly.

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Vagrancy posted:

Try "Contact Remover" from the Market.

This was the answer. Interestingly, instead of syncing down from Google my phone synced up, deleting all my Google contacts... luckily, I had backed them up, anticipating this very problem. Thanks!

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Casao posted:

CM7 is booting and "running" on NC according to some CM forum posts. I expect to see it by February, so yeah, we'll probably see GB before 2.2, unless BN pumps that poo poo out quickly.

Have you been able to overclock yours? I remember reading somewhere that the NCs used underperforming processors, so they can only get up around 950MHz.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
What are the prospects of Honeycomb running on the nook?

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Have you been able to overclock yours? I remember reading somewhere that the NCs used underperforming processors, so they can only get up around 950MHz.

I've overclocked to 950 just fine. Very stable. Excellent battery life. I had previously owned a archos 70 but I sold the archos after owning both for a while.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

I'm running at 900, I haven't bothered with the 950 because I'm too lazy to do so. Some people get 1ghz running somewhat, and the dev is convinced it's just getting the voltages right.

ZShakespeare posted:

What are the prospects of Honeycomb running on the nook?

:iiam:

We have pretty much no information on it. At least 2 Team douche coders and plenty of talented XDA devs are working on it, so if it's possible on the hardware, we'll likely see it in some form or another. Which will be good, cause emulating soft keys blows.

BTW, which of you goons IM'd me about Nook Color and MIUI this weekend? I was in North Carolina and my phone was off so I missed it and you never responded again.

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

What are you guys using in terms of clock/weather widget on CM7? I had the Weather Channel's widget on there, but it seems to have broken... SiMi Clock Widget doesn't seem to work, either.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Casao posted:

I'm gonna be a little upset if my nook color gets GB before my phone.

Sorta.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
This is related to the discussion from the general thread and motorola's locked bootloaders,

I don't have any personal experience with Motorola and Android (N1 user) but what are the limitations/availability for roms on the Droid * products?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I guess I might as well ask, is anyone working on CM7 for the Verizon Galaxy Tab?

edit: It roots easily enough and I have Clockwork Recovery 3.0 something on it but there doesn't appear to be any custom roms out.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 19, 2011

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Zarkov Cortez posted:

This is related to the discussion from the general thread and motorola's locked bootloaders,

I don't have any personal experience with Motorola and Android (N1 user) but what are the limitations/availability for roms on the Droid * products?

Motorola's original Droid is open.
The Droid Incredible is made by HTC and I believe is easily hacked.
The Droid X and Droid 2 both have locked bootloaders that have not been cracked, but both phones have been rooted and can have something very similar to a custom ROM installed (I believe just the kernel can't be changed, but kernel-modifying scripts can be run during runtime).

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

If you're still terrified, there's almost no way to brick a Nook beyond recovery. Barring physical damage, it'll always be able to boot off an SD card and from there you can fix it.

But if you have clockwork installed, someone made a zip to restore completely back to stock, including the recovery partition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Ok, I'm about ready to throw this Slide through a loving window. 4 hours later I'm still on square zero. It's on the latest OTA and I can't get the exploit method to work. I want this thing on CM. Anyone have an idiot's guide? For the love of God please.