Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.
That reminds me that I had a thought regarding Inception, and I'm not sure if there's an error, or if I just didn't understand the whole time dilation thing.

So the van drives off the bridge and enters freefall, causing zero-g in the hotel, which is why Arthur needs to simulate gravity in the elevator to create a kick. So far so good, but the problems comes from the math. Yusuf says time is multiplied by 20 on each level, which is corroborated by Cobb (10 hours flight time > 8 days > 6 months > 10 years).

Now, the Henry Ford bridge has a vertical clearance of 163 feet. According to an online calculator I used an object in freefall from that height would reach the ground in 5.7 seconds. That means Arthur had less that 2 minutes to get everyone in the elevator and rig the charges. I'd have to watch it again, but it seems like that would take much longer that 2 minutes. Is there an error here, or is Arthur just extremely quick thinking and acting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

SubG posted:

...particularly since there is no `Southern accent'; there are at least a dozen, and that's if you're being conservative. The aristocratic Suthron gentleman drawl of the Virginia Piedmont accent would be completely out of place in the mouth of a cajun in south Louisiana (or southeast Texas), for example.

Worse (to my ears) than a generic thick-as-molasses Southern accent which doesn't sound like any actual Southern accent, is when a bunch of guys that are supposed to be from some dusty Texas border town sound like they're from the Appalachians, somewhere around Tennessee.

I grew up in South Carolina, and live in Chicago. It's hard to believe how many people are surprised when I tell them where I'm from, just because I don't speak like I have a developmental disabilty.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Rake Arms posted:

That reminds me that I had a thought regarding Inception, and I'm not sure if there's an error, or if I just didn't understand the whole time dilation thing.

So the van drives off the bridge and enters freefall, causing zero-g in the hotel, which is why Arthur needs to simulate gravity in the elevator to create a kick. So far so good, but the problems comes from the math. Yusuf says time is multiplied by 20 on each level, which is corroborated by Cobb (10 hours flight time > 8 days > 6 months > 10 years).

Now, the Henry Ford bridge has a vertical clearance of 163 feet. According to an online calculator I used an object in freefall from that height would reach the ground in 5.7 seconds. That means Arthur had less that 2 minutes to get everyone in the elevator and rig the charges. I'd have to watch it again, but it seems like that would take much longer that 2 minutes. Is there an error here, or is Arthur just extremely quick thinking and acting?

I hope to God this is a joke post.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

Well, there's no longer a "Let's sperg about movies" thread. Where else am I supposed to overthink movies?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Rake Arms posted:

Well, there's no longer a "Let's sperg about movies" thread. Where else am I supposed to overthink movies?

Nowhere

Obviously dream bridge was bigger than that.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!

FitFortDanga posted:

I take it you haven't ventured into the inception thread recently?

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Rake Arms posted:

The inception thread. It's nothing but this kind of stuff.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

Monkeyseesaw posted:

The inception thread. It's nothing but this kind of stuff.

Good point. I don't really care though, because I love the movie, and since it's about dream, you can use the "A Wizard Did It" defense for any errors. I just saw the other question about dream levels and the math thing popped into my head.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

Rake Arms posted:

Good point. I don't really care though, because I love the movie, and since it's about dream, you can use the "A Wizard Did It" defense for any errors. I just saw the other question about dream levels and the math thing popped into my head.

It's not so much "A Wizard Did It" as it is Ariadne obeying Cobb's rule of not using real places when constructing things in dream space.

The bridge you see in the movie looks like Ford Bridge, but in the dream, it isn't. It's that simple.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

FitFortDanga posted:

Someone wrote a spergier post about The Hurt Locker last year

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

FitFortDanga posted:

So do I. A free-falling body on earth will fall 163 feet in about 3.2, not 5.7 seconds. It will also fall about 163 meters in 5.7 seconds.

Maybe incepting converts feet to meters. Can't prove it doesn't!

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

SubG posted:

So do I. A free-falling body on earth will fall 163 feet in about 3.2, not 5.7 seconds. It will also fall about 163 meters in 5.7 seconds.

Maybe incepting converts feet to meters. Can't prove it doesn't!

I plugged in the data wrong :doh:

But Jesus, I didn't mean to start a Nolan Derail.

Okay, I have a real movie question. I've heard that early drafts of A Series of Unfortunate Events written by Daniel Handler (aka Lemony Snicket himself) were actually canon to the book series. Does anyone more about this and how the script fit into the established continuity of the books?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

haveblue posted:

They should have stopped at Escape from Butcher Bay (the video game).

Well hell, I wasn't thinking about the video game when I wrote that. I amend my answer to include the game, because it did rock.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

morestuff posted:

I grew up in South Carolina, and live in Chicago. It's hard to believe how many people are surprised when I tell them where I'm from, just because I don't speak like I have a developmental disabilty.

But you do drop something of it when you leave, and pick it back up when you go home right?

Everyone I know does this except Californians who are convinced they don't have an accent.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

kapalama posted:

But you do drop something of it when you leave, and pick it back up when you go home right?

Everyone I know does this except Californians who are convinced they don't have an accent.

The reason Californians don't think they have an accent is becasue most people on tv and in movies sound like us. (I wasn't actually raised in California, but I live there now and was raised in Washington, which mostly has a very similar "non-accent" to California, although I've noticed that there are very different speaking patterns between north and south California that are almost separate accents. The Native Californians I know can't tell the difference, so maybe I'm imagining things).

Also, I have an Aunt from Spain, who hates Penelope Cruise because she hasn't lost more of her accent after working in Hollywood for so long. To be fair to my Aunt, she has a less pronounced accent then Penelope Cruise does in her most recent English Films, despite my Aunt living in Spain).

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jan 19, 2011

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Skwirl posted:

The reason Californians don't think they have an accent is becasue most people on tv and in movies sound like us. (I wasn't actually raised in California, but I live there now and was raised in Washington, which mostly has a very similar "non-accent" to California, although I've noticed that there are very different speaking patterns between north and south California that are almost separate accents. The Native Californians I know can't tell the difference, so maybe I'm imagining things).

I am assuming you have not been to the Central Valley, which has some full-on hick accents. Buck Owens, a Bakersfield native who was a fixture on Hee Haw and a successful country singer, did not have to put on his 'Southern' Accent. They know they have 'Southern' accents.

The southern Califonian have a Valley Girl accent that is mostly about word choice and pace than actual vowel changes IMHO. Never went north of the Bay Area, and never lived in the Bay Area for that matter. But the Northern Californian (Bay Area people) laughed with me about the SoCal accent. But it was always about words, not pronunciation of any given word. As opposed to some of the howlers you get from southern accents. I honestly could not tell the difference between 'pillow' and 'pillar' as a kid. And the 'Ah' and 'I' is one that everyone knows from Clinton, and Carter.

I am always wondering about how the move to Vancouver for so much TV production will affect that 'non-accent' accent on TV. There are certainly a ton of Canadians in most of the TV I watch.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Skwirl posted:

Also, I have an Aunt from Spain, who hates Penelope Cruise because she hasn't lost more of her accent after working in Hollywood for so long. To be fair to my Aunt, she has a less pronounced accent then Penelope Cruise does in her most recent English Films, despite my Aunt living in Spain).

I take it she's not an Antonio Banderas fan either.

Lando2
Jan 16, 2010

Turns out just hunks

Universe Master posted:

Didn't he become king of the universe in Chronicles?

I remember reading somewhere that they actually go into some underverse/world thing after that though. The should do a prequel to pitch black. Johns is a cool character also and I love their relationship, especially in the videogames.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Lando2 posted:

I remember reading somewhere that they actually go into some underverse/world thing after that though. The should do a prequel to pitch black. Johns is a cool character also and I love their relationship, especially in the videogames.
I haven't got round to playing Dark Athena yet but don't the two games do a pretty good job of filling in what happened before Pitch Black?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

kapalama posted:

I have a really slight accent, but it only comes out in certain words (like, weirdly, Cheetos). The only thing I change up when I go home is mixing in a little more slang.

Between growing up in a city, having a dad born in Germany, and having access to television, I just never developed a country twang.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

kapalama posted:

I am always wondering about how the move to Vancouver for so much TV production will affect that 'non-accent' accent on TV. There are certainly a ton of Canadians in most of the TV I watch.

Please, don't worry yourself aboot it. I'm sorry. Thank you.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

"Aboot" is from the Maritimes, and those people don't get into acting because they can't read.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Akuma posted:

I haven't got round to playing Dark Athena yet but don't the two games do a pretty good job of filling in what happened before Pitch Black?

Butcher Bay lends some interesting insight into Riddick and John's relationship. Dark Athena is a piece of crap that doesn't lend anything into anything.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

kapalama posted:

I am assuming you have not been to the Central Valley, which has some full-on hick accents. Buck Owens, a Bakersfield native who was a fixture on Hee Haw and a successful country singer, did not have to put on his 'Southern' Accent. They know they have 'Southern' accents.

David Cross has a bit about how there are many Southern accents and they tend to be defined by geography but the "hick" accent is, for some reason, the same everywhere either North or South.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I was reading once about a famous actor who played a lot of bigots in movies from the 1950s and 1960s, but was emphatically pro-civil rights in real life. But I can't remember who it was. I thought it was Spencer Tracy or Lee J. Cobb, but it wasn't. I know it's a longshot and this question is probably incredibly vague, but does anyone know who I'm referring to?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CloseFriend posted:

I was reading once about a famous actor who played a lot of bigots in movies from the 1950s and 1960s, but was emphatically pro-civil rights in real life. But I can't remember who it was. I thought it was Spencer Tracy or Lee J. Cobb, but it wasn't. I know it's a longshot and this question is probably incredibly vague, but does anyone know who I'm referring to?

Might be thinking of Archie Bunker Carroll O'Connor

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

CloseFriend posted:

Richard Widmark? Robert Ryan?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Robert Ryan! That's the one! ... Although I'm a big fan of Carroll O'Connor too (All in the Family is still a funny, funny show today) and Richard Widmark has been good in everything I've seen him in. Thanks, guys!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CloseFriend posted:

Robert Ryan! That's the one! ... Although I'm a big fan of Carroll O'Connor too (All in the Family is still a funny, funny show today) and Richard Widmark has been good in everything I've seen him in. Thanks, guys!

My favorite story about Richard Widmark was that he would apologize to Sydney Poitier after every take on the movie No Way Out, especially the scenes where he was required to hit Poitier.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Skwirl posted:

My favorite story about Richard Widmark was that he would apologize to Sydney Poitier after every take on the movie No Way Out, especially the scenes where he was required to hit Poitier.

I dunno, he strikes me as a bit pushy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHHJsXH3BiU

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
I have a quick question about Inception.

What happens to Kobol Engineering after the initial introduction? Saito paying Cobb and Arthur isn't enough to get another company, especially one out for blood after the two hosed up, to stop their manhunt.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

CRINDY posted:

I have a quick question about Inception.

What happens to Kobol Engineering after the initial introduction? Saito paying Cobb and Arthur isn't enough to get another company, especially one out for blood after the two hosed up, to stop their manhunt.

Why not ask this in the Inception thread?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was watching Back to The Future on BluRay, and I was wondering where the thing that shows the connections between scenes and such was. It says so on the box there's something about that. I can't find it on any of the special feature menus.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Rake Arms posted:

Okay, I have a real movie question. I've heard that early drafts of A Series of Unfortunate Events written by Daniel Handler (aka Lemony Snicket himself) were actually canon to the book series. Does anyone more about this and how the script fit into the established continuity of the books?

Well, I don't know about that, but if that were the case I imagine the film would have included new material that the books did not, or an original story featuring the kids and Count Olaf, which would be a hard sell when you have several books ripe for filming right there.

As it is, the movie is very faithful, except when it needs to do some adapting to put three books into one film, and to keen eyed film-goers, there are many references to books not made into films.

I wish they had gotten to make a sequel, that movie was a visual feast, and the acting was pretty great too.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

How important was Blade Runner for setting visual style in movies?

(Also where was it filmed?)

kapalama fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 22, 2011

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

kapalama posted:

The southern Califonian have a Valley Girl accent that is mostly about word choice and pace than actual vowel changes IMHO. Never went north of the Bay Area, and never lived in the Bay Area for that matter. But the Northern Californian (Bay Area people) laughed with me about the SoCal accent. But it was always about words, not pronunciation of any given word. As opposed to some of the howlers you get from southern accents. I honestly could not tell the difference between 'pillow' and 'pillar' as a kid. And the 'Ah' and 'I' is one that everyone knows from Clinton, and Carter.

Disturbingly, a lot of people in Eastern Washington have Southern-ish accents. As do a lot of poor people in the suburbs for no discernible reason. I can only assume it's either an affectation, or they're children/grandchildren of emigrants from the South.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Spatula City posted:

Disturbingly, a lot of people in Eastern Washington have Southern-ish accents. As do a lot of poor people in the suburbs for no discernible reason. I can only assume it's either an affectation, or they're children/grandchildren of emigrants from the South.

What's disturbing about this? It's an accent.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

kapalama posted:

How important was Blade Runner for setting visual style in movies?

(Also where was it filmed?)

It was shot primarily in and around (1982-era) Los Angeles and at the Warner Brothers studio in California.

As for its importance to visual design, watch virtually any sci-fi movie (or TV show, or video game, or anime, or anything really) made after it.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 22, 2011

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

haveblue posted:

It was shot primarily in and around (1982-era) Los Angeles and at the Warner Brothers studio in California.

As for its importance to visual design, watch virtually any sci-fi movie (or TV show, or video game, or anime, or anything really) made after it.

Did it have any predecessors on setting that style, or was it invented out of whole cloth?

Also is there a mixed Chinatown/Japantown with that much mixed Chinese and Japanese in LA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

kapalama posted:

Did it have any predecessors on setting that style, or was it invented out of whole cloth?

It's a style called cyberpunk, which exited in literature and comics, but hadn't really made it to film yet. There's a comic book called The Long Tomorrow which was a major visual inspiration.