Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Kid Moe posted:

Simon Amstell guest presenting Buzzcocks tonight with that oval office Noel Fielding replaced by Russel Brand.

Oh great, we get a oval office replaced with a bigger oval office. Hopefully Simon Amstell will make it ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
TVIV's ridiculous too cool for school hatred of Fielding/The Boosh is hilarious.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
Why the gently caress is Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade randomly on BBC1 tonight 8.00-10.00.

Im not complaining but when was the last time they turned over the whole prime time slot to a movie?

Psybro
May 12, 2002
The first series of Boosh had some funny ideas and Julian Barrett is lovely, but it suffered diminishing returns like Little Britain or the third League of Gentleman series, going back to the well too many times on its more unique ideas. It also suffers from a core fanbase too caught up in the superficial aspects and missing the point somewhat.

The director did a feature film called Bunny and the Bull which was really good and showed what he could do with his own script but nobody saw it except me, my housemate and the two other people in Cineworld at 11 on that Friday evening.

Psybro fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 19, 2011

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Graviton v2 posted:

Why the gently caress is Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade randomly on BBC1 tonight 8.00-10.00.

Im not complaining but when was the last time they turned over the whole prime time slot to a movie?

I think they did the first two in that slot in the previous few weeks

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 19, 2011

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Third League of Gentlemen series was the best. You are terrible.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

TVIV's ridiculous too cool for school hatred of Fielding/The Boosh is hilarious.

I'm sorry I just don't find anything about the mighty boosh funny. It kind of feels like the other way around, if you don't 'get' the mighty boosh you're not cool enough. It seems to try to be way too oddball, but completely misses the mark.

Psybro
May 12, 2002

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Third League of Gentlemen series was the best. You are terrible.

I'd be interested to know why, and I swear to God if you bring up the absence of a laugh track I will kill you with my bare hands.

I did like the Geoff Tipps one.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Psybro posted:

I'd be interested to know why, and I swear to God if you bring up the absence of a laugh track I will kill you with my bare hands.

I did like the Geoff Tipps one.

Because they were trying new things, and being darker ?

NaDy posted:

I'm sorry I just don't find anything about the mighty boosh funny. It kind of feels like the other way around, if you don't 'get' the mighty boosh you're not cool enough. It seems to try to be way too oddball, but completely misses the mark.

Well yeah, it can be hard to 'get' if you have a dreadfully underdevolped sense of humour. But there's always Last of The Summer Wine.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I rather like Mighty Boosh, only seen the first two seasons properly but I really enjoyed it, especially the second. There were lots of great ideas and it kept changing it up. What I've seen of the third seems to be getting a little stale, in 1 and 2 it was new characters/settings constantly, in 3 they brought back "fan favourites", which is a surefire sign a show is running out of ideas (see "emohawk" in red dwarf bringing back Ace and Duane Dibley for NO readily explicable reason).

Fielding himself is fine in (very) small doses, but he gets extremely tiresome with his "I'll act random and really dumb and it will make funny" thing. It works OK with his Boosh character because he has a straight man to work off, but taken on its own it gets old pretty fast. It feels like he's trying to get away with not actually being CLEVER with his humour and trying to ride on his popularity and charisma to carry some pretty weak material. It's not offensively bad or anything, just boring after a while

As for league of Gentlemen, while the third series definitely felt it was lacking some spark that made the earlier ones so magical, MASSIVE props to them for at least changing things up, playing with the formula and not just rehashing the same old thing again and again. It was almost entirely new/underexplored characters and they had some fun tying seemingly unrelated episodes together. I'd rather a show took risks than get Little Britain and Catherine Tate just doing the same jokes every week with basically no difference and passing it off as new material.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
Dont find it lol funny myself though I do really like Noel Fielding. I started automaticlly hating him but he is just a nice funny dude. I really want to hate him but I cant.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Well yeah, it can be hard to 'get' if you have a dreadfully underdevolped sense of humour. But there's always Last of The Summer Wine.

Sorry I must have wrote that wrong, I get it, I just think it's a bit poo poo.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
hey deadhead - take a bite of peach.

Kid Moe posted:

Simon Amstell guest presenting Buzzcocks tonight with that oval office Noel Fielding replaced by Russel Brand.

Actually it was filmed ages ago but didn't air due to Sachsgate.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
yeah I don't really care for Boosh very much but I do quite like Noel Fielding.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Graviton v2 posted:

ITV 1 - 19:30 - Arsenal v Leeds

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

NaDy posted:

Sorry I must have wrote that wrong, I get it, I just think it's a bit poo poo.
No you see, you either love and worship Noel Fielding and are completely in love with everything hes involved with, or you're just trying to be cool by pretending to hate it or you have a terrible sense of humour.

There are no other options. It is physically impossible for people with a good sense of humour to dislike Fielding or the Boosh.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

slotbadger posted:

Actually it was filmed ages ago but didn't air due to Sachsgate.

Shame. I miss Amstell as presenter.

Some of the guest presenters are loving terrible, James Corden and Catherine Tate are probably the worst I can think of.

Psybro
May 12, 2002

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Because they were trying new things, and being darker ?

That's not necessarily a mark of quality, though, is it? Papa Lazarou pissing black urine into somebody's face is darker, but that doesn't automatically make it better. I thought Apocalypse was incredibly ambitious structurally, but it still wasn't funny or particularly exciting. I would categorise both the third series and Apocalypse as noble failures.

quote:

This is patronising rubbish. There are many, many people who 'get' much more difficult material in Monty Python's Flying Circus or Blue Jam, but still don't like the Boosh. It's like telling somebody who thinks Titus Andronicus was a bit sloppy compared to Shakespeare's other work to gently caress off back to Emmerdale.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Padje posted:

Which one was Thunderbird 5? Are they going to leave this channel to rot in space?

It was the one "piloted" by John, the Tracey that even Gerry Anderson didn't like. Which actually makes it fit Channel 5 all the more.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Watching the Boosh for me has always been like watching a bunch of old school-mates in the pub. They've been mates for so long that they've got all their jokes and riffs and references that have them absolutely falling about laughing, and everyone else in the pub is looking round, trying to work out where the joke was supposed to be. They're clearly having a great deal of fun, but that doesn't mean it's automatically funny for everyone else.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Graviton v2 posted:

No idea, but this made me remember how they always used to show good films at 8pm on a Wednesday when I was a kid. Including Indy.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Psybro posted:

The first series of Boosh had some funny ideas and Julian Barrett is lovely, but it suffered diminishing returns like Little Britain or the third League of Gentleman series, going back to the well too many times on its more unique ideas. It also suffers from a core fanbase too caught up in the superficial aspects and missing the point somewhat.

You put something I generally felt into better words than I could, except the 3rd series of LoG bit. I can still quote bits from the first series with friends, but the later series didn't click for me at all.

I wish Julian Barrett was on TV more, he seems the more interesting whenever I see them normally. Maybe if they were both on TV half as much as Fielding is on in total now, the world would be a better place!

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Dr Snofeld posted:

It was the one "piloted" by John, the Tracey that even Gerry Anderson didn't like. Which actually makes it fit Channel 5 all the more.

Haha, that reminds me I must crack open my Thunderbirds DVD boxed set. It was my favourite TV show growing up.

The Guardian was reporting that Dicky Desmond is bringing a TV version of OK magazine, possibly to replace Live from Studio 5. One can only hope it won't try to masquerade as news programming like its predecessor.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Dr Snofeld posted:

John was always my favourite, poor guy stuck up there all alone :(

actually scratch that Virgil was cooler.

seregrail7
Nov 3, 2006
The Buzzcocks tonight is actually the one that BBC wouldn't air after the whole Manuel thing.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

seregrail7 posted:

The Buzzcocks tonight is actually the one that BBC wouldn't air after the whole Manuel thing.
But mr faulty, isss wrong, i am from basalona

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
Being Human (not really spoilers but might be annoying to people who haven't seen series 1 yet)

I'm watching Being Human and can someone tell me, not what was said, but if we ever find out what Annie whispered to Owen in s01e05 when he comes over and she says (something along the lines of) 'I'll tell you something only the dead know' then whispers something into his ear. Then George asks what it was and Mitchell gives her that 'don't you loving tell him' glare

I don't think I want to know what was said (no spoilers plz) but I just want to know if it's ever acknowledged or anything because it's doing my head in. :(

Amazing show though. Best thing I've seen in years.

Annie: I'm a ghost actually.
Seth: Get out! Can you like move things about and walk from one room to another?
George: Yeah, I'm pretty sure everyone can do that.
Seth: Shut it, Digby! The only reason why I haven't torn your bastard face off yet is because I've just done the hoovering in here.

Gutted Seth got a stake in the back :( He was hilarious.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

eating only apples posted:

John was always my favourite, poor guy stuck up there all alone :(

actually scratch that Virgil was cooler.

He'd switch places with Alan once in a while, so I guess it wasn't all bad.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.
Oops quote is not edit.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.

Bloodbath posted:

Being Human (not really spoilers but might be annoying to people who haven't seen series 1 yet)

I'm watching Being Human and can someone tell me, not what was said, but if we ever find out what Annie whispered to Owen in s01e05 when he comes over and she says (something along the lines of) 'I'll tell you something only the dead know' then whispers something into his ear. Then George asks what it was and Mitchell gives her that 'don't you loving tell him' glare

I don't think I want to know what was said (no spoilers plz) but I just want to know if it's ever acknowledged or anything because it's doing my head in. :(

Amazing show though. Best thing I've seen in years.

Annie: I'm a ghost actually.
Seth: Get out! Can you like move things about and walk from one room to another?
George: Yeah, I'm pretty sure everyone can do that.
Seth: Shut it, Digby! The only reason why I haven't torn your bastard face off yet is because I've just done the hoovering in here.

Gutted Seth got a stake in the back :( He was hilarious.

From what I've read that issue is addressed this season. Which starts very soon so :dance:

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
This Sunday I believe, should be good. I hope we get some answers and more Annie focused episodes. They're doing an online episodic thing called "Becoming Human" with a seperate cast that ties into the main series as well.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
Excellent! This is my first viewing (just finished ep5 last night) so looks like I chose a good time to become obsessed. :) Just can't get over how brilliant it is.

I thought Annie looked familiar. She was in that Sugar Rush show on Channel 4, years back. Used to quite enjoy that as a young male stuck at a single sex school...

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

thebardyspoon posted:

and more Annie focused episodes.

I hope not, she's the worst actor in the show and with the exception of her being snatched at the end, her plots are loving terrible.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

reality_groove posted:

Haha, that reminds me I must crack open my Thunderbirds DVD boxed set. It was my favourite TV show growing up.

The Guardian was reporting that Dicky Desmond is bringing a TV version of OK magazine, possibly to replace Live from Studio 5. One can only hope it won't try to masquerade as news programming like its predecessor.

You know what I'd love? A Thunderbirds remake in the vein of that CGI Captain Scarlet from a few years back, but without changing the technology of the setting. Like, Thunderbird 5 still has computers with data reels, space travel is still performed with rockets instead of shuttles, Fireflash is the epitome of modern passenger flight, that sort of thing.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Live from Studio Five has been cancelled, to the surprise of absolutely nobody. Also, new branding!

They should just appreciate the fact it's the 21st Century and relaunch with this:

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Psybro posted:

The director did a feature film called Bunny and the Bull which was really good and showed what he could do with his own script but nobody saw it except me, my housemate and the two other people in Cineworld at 11 on that Friday evening.

Hey hey hey I saw Bunny and the Bull too! It was weird.

Sentinel Red posted:

They should just appreciate the fact it's the 21st Century and relaunch with this:

YESSSSSSS also the new Channel 5 will still be poo poo because they're replacing Live from Studio Five with OK!TV (so, more poo poo from Dirty Des then).

It also means that OK!TV will count as news for Channel 5's public service remit :ughh:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Didn't OK!TV already fail once?

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Yep.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I don't hate either man :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
I was wondering what was up with the Buzzcocks episode tonight. Thanks for clearing that up TVIV. I was all confused because Brand was still doing the explicit sexual predator schtick that he's toned down now, Amstell was host and Rachel Stevens was apparently relevant.