Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Fair Hallion posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

shock.wav posted:

There's nothing badass about Captain Anastasia.

But I wouldn't say that to his face.

Lt. Colonel, maggot!

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
War dogs and soldiers are cool and all, but how about a war bear?

Wojtek

Non war related images:

Ranulph Fiennes

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Jibo posted:

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.

Jibo posted:

More car-related badassery please

Click for big

Linear aerospike rocket engines are pretty badass too

Click for giant

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Sunday Punch posted:

More car-related badassery please

Psshh, you call that a jump? You call that a fire?

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.

Jibo posted:

Psshh, you call that a jump? You call that a fire?

I've seen this image before, but this is the first time I've noticed that either the bus has no driver, or he's not visible because he's entirely engulfed in flames.

content:

Click here for the full 1280x1024 image.

Tailwhoop
Oct 18, 2008

Luigi to Kobe's Mario.
Does anyone have that picture of the British Soldier who stormed some beach in WWII with a claymore and bow and arrow? I cant remember his name.

Edit: VVV Yeah sorry about that. :(
Here's a contribution:

Tailwhoop has a new favorite as of 10:36 on Jan 8, 2011

Useless Rabbit
Jan 27, 2009

Tailwhoop posted:

Does anyone have that picture of the British Soldier who stormed some beach in WWII with a claymore and bow and arrow? I cant remember his name.

One would think a google search of "soldier claymore bow and arrow" would bring up the answer....oh wait

Far right of pic, sword in hand:

Snarkiness over. Sorry.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Useless Rabbit posted:

One would think a google search of "soldier claymore bow and arrow" would bring up the answer....oh wait

Far right of pic, sword in hand:

Snarkiness over. Sorry.

Claymore? What the gently caress ever. This guy disabled a German AFV with a god-damned umbrella.

Sorry, but no actual bad-rear end picture exists as photographic technology of the time was unable to capture a picture of him in full-on badass mode without exploding from sheer awesomeness.

quote:

The Major opened his old and battered umbrella and held it over Egan's head, beckoning him "Come on, Padre". Egan drew Tatham-Warter's attention to all the mortars exploding everywhere, to which came the reply "Don't worry, I've got an umbrella." Shortly afterwards Lieutenant Pat Barnett was sprinting over an open area he had been ordered to hold when he caught the sight of Digby visiting men who were defending the sector, holding his opened umbrella over his head. Barnett was so surprised he stopped dead in his tracks and suggested to the Major "That thing won't do you much good.", to which Digby replied, after staring at him with exaggerated shock, "Oh my goodness Pat, what if it rains?"

http://www.pegasusarchive.org/arnhem/tatham_warter.htm

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
Does anyone have the picture of an American soldier in a wide-brimmed hat doing bicep curls with a sandbag, or some sort of canvas sack? Google Images turned up nothing.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Phantom LOLbooth posted:

Does anyone have the picture of an American soldier in a wide-brimmed hat doing bicep curls with a sandbag, or some sort of canvas sack? Google Images turned up nothing.

He's really doing more of a rowing motion.

https://wi.somethingawful.com/ec/ec2c4250bc951928eefffe7939175b90217fde69.jpg

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

a bunch of ants posted:

Even though they were the greatest generation it doesn't make some people in our generation any less great, case in point:

Salvatore Giunta

Salvatore Augustine Giunta is the first living person to receive the Medal of Honor, for actions that occurred since the Vietnam War. Giunta was cited for saving the lives of members of his squad on October 25, 2007 during the War in Afghanistan. He rescued three of his squad mates who were pinned down (and pretty much his whole platoon) and then noticed another soldier was missing so he chased after Taliban soldiers who were dragging his friend away shot them and then dragged his friend back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvatore_Giunta

SSG Giunta is a local guy. The city of Marion, where he grew up, threw him a small parade. :) Seems to be a really stand-up dude and is a great example of what the United States military stands for.

Now on an entirely different note..I've always been amazed by "go-fast" boats. These are the kind of boats made popular by Miami Vice and white-nosed Columbians/Cubans.

Go-fast boats normally have at least 2 engines, and often times have as much as 1500-2000HP and sometimes even more. Your typical American vehicle has 150-200hp.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
My great grandfather, looking smug as gently caress on his horse.

Click here for the full 1920x1080 image.

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson

An ancestor of mine on my mother's side. Charlie Pitts, who rode with Jessie James.

Shubs
Sep 27, 2008

by angerbot
&

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr. Notadoctor
Aug 26, 2008
We're talkin war badasses and I haven't seen this guy yet? WTF?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_H%C3%A4yh%C3%A4

quote:

It was during the Winter War (19391940), between Finland and the Soviet Union, that he began his duty as a sniper and fought for the Finnish Army against the Red Army. In temperatures between −40 and −20 degrees Celsius, dressed completely in white camouflage, Hyh was credited with 505 confirmed kills of Soviet soldiers,[2][4] 542 if unconfirmed deaths are included.[4] The unofficial Finnish front line figure from the battlefield of Kollaa places the number of Hyh's sniper kills over 800.[5] A daily account of the kills at Kollaa was conducted for the Finnish snipers. Besides his sniper kills, Hyh was also credited with over two hundred kills with a Suomi KP/-31 submachine gun, thus bringing his credited kills to at least 705.[4] Remarkably, all of Hyh's kills were accomplished in fewer than 100 days with a very limited amount of daylight per day.
Hyh used a Finnish militia variant, White Guard M/28 "Pystykorva" or "Spitz", of the Russian Mosin-Nagant rifle, because it suited his small frame (5 ft 3 in/1.60 m). He preferred to use iron sights rather than telescopic sights to present a smaller target (the sniper must raise his head higher when using a telescopic sight), to prevent visibility risks (a telescopic sight's glass can fog up easily), and aid concealment (sunlight glare in telescopic sight lenses can reveal a sniper's position). Another tactic used by Hyh was to compact the snow in front of him so that the shot would not disturb the snow and reveal his position.[citation needed] He also kept snow in his mouth so that when breathing the steam would not give him away.[citation needed]
The Soviets tried several ploys to get rid of him, including counter-snipers and artillery strikes. On March 6, 1940, Hyh was shot in the jaw during combat by a Russian soldier. The bullet tumbled upon impact and left his head. He was picked up by fellow soldiers who said "half his head was missing" but he was not dead. He regained consciousness on March 13, the day peace was declared. Shortly after the war, Hyh was promoted straight from corporal to second lieutenant by Field Marshal Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim. No one else has ever gained rank in such a quick fashion in Finland's military history.

edit: oh apparently he was posted in this thread earlier. Oh well.

Dr. Notadoctor has a new favorite as of 21:04 on Jan 8, 2011

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Fair Hallion posted:

Here, have some David Haye.

Holy poo poo it looks like he's boxing with a neanderthal, who is that other guy.

runningbored
Jun 20, 2007

That is Nikolai Valuev - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikolai_Valuev

And that picture with David Haye is from his last fight and only his second loss in his whole career.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

runningbored posted:

That is Nikolai Valuev - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikolai_Valuev

And that picture with David Haye is from his last fight and only his second loss in his whole career.

Half man, half gorilla boxers really should get placed in their own class, for fairness.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Efilnikufesin posted:

We're talkin war badasses and I haven't seen this guy yet? WTF?

That's because he looks like a fuckin dork when he's just standing there, like Audey Murphy.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Click here for the full 480x640 image.

Did he just ride a tornado into that tree? Did he hoist it up there on his shoulder? Extreme kiting?

No, not really, but without the backstory it's still a pretty badass picture.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Kammat posted:

Click here for the full 480x640 image.

Did he just ride a tornado into that tree? Did he hoist it up there on his shoulder? Extreme kiting?

No, not really, but without the backstory it's still a pretty badass picture.

LOOK UPON MY WORKS, YE MIGHTY, AND DESPAIR

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

One day, my friend, Howard, decided to draw Spider-Man on a piece of notebook paper. He kept adding comic book characters, then cartoon characters, then spaceships, rock stars, robots... thirteen years later, his project is fifteen feet high by fourteen feet wide. The above is one of eight panels of his Picture of Everything, which can be viewed in more detail on the site linked.

It's a big, obsessive homage to pop culture, and I personally think it's badass.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

budgieinspector posted:

It's a big, obsessive homage to pop culture, and I personally think it's badass.

That's because it is badass.

dinozombiesgoRARR
Dec 25, 2010

Momma said knock you out

budgieinspector posted:

I wanna wallpaper my house with this. I think its the only way I'd be able to appreciate it fully.

Edit: from the GBS Etsy thread:

Shark vs. Narwhal

Cthulhu Awakens and Totally Shreds a Sweet rear end Guitar Solo

Prints of these (and many more) are available here:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/LegendaryTigerHero

dinozombiesgoRARR has a new favorite as of 12:12 on Jan 9, 2011

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

dinozombiesgoRARR posted:

I wanna wallpaper my house with this. I think its the only way I'd be able to appreciate it fully.

Funnily enough, you could effectively do this. Check out the edges of the picture on the site: the left edge lines up with the right edge, and the top lines up with the bottom. So, if you had a couple life-sized prints of the picture, it could be seamlessly wallpapered.

Some shots from the gallery opening on Friday, just to give an idea of the scale. They had to angle the top two panels because the walls weren't high enough:

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Thunder Mug posted:

Carl Panzram

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Panzram

Got his first arrest at the age of 8 for drunk and disorderly conduct, and died heckling the executioner at his public hanging.

He robbed, raped, and killed alot of people, but I still think he was pretty bad rear end. For an unredeemable monster that is.

Holy poo poo. Why haven't I heard of this guy? He's like a real life version of The Mountain Who Rides from A Song of Ice and Fire (just not as tall)

If you haven't read this article, read it. It's not long and almost every paragraph demonstrates how batshit insane this guy was. He's cartoonishly evil.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

budgieinspector posted:

Funnily enough, you could effectively do this. Check out the edges of the picture on the site: the left edge lines up with the right edge, and the top lines up with the bottom. So, if you had a couple life-sized prints of the picture, it could be seamlessly wallpapered.

Some shots from the gallery opening on Friday, just to give an idea of the scale. They had to angle the top two panels because the walls weren't high enough:

reminds me of Goon base

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

suddenlyissoon posted:

This is Joseph Kittinger, one of the very last American bad-asses. Why people haven't heard more of him is beyond me. He was part of Project Excelsior.

That's right, 102,800 FEET (nearly 20 miles) IN THE loving AIR. That record has stood for 50 years.

He'd be a total badass if that was the only thing he did in life, but it wasn't. He also also did 3 tours in Vietnam and flew a total of 483 missions. Close to the end of his last tour he was shot down and spent 11 months in the Hanoi Hilton.

Joseph Kittinger is the biggest badass alive today. And you seriously, seriously cannot post something about him without attaching this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrBZeWjGjl8 because it kicks rear end.

And the wikipedia article about Carl Panzram is fairly sparse: http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/serial_killers/history/panzram1/1.html that's 12 lengthy detailed chapters about him.

dinozombiesgoRARR
Dec 25, 2010

Momma said knock you out

Knifey McSpoon
Mar 3, 2009

I like to think that he is staring directly at the sun and that the sun set several hours early that day to hide from his steely gaze.

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Dschingis Khan posted:

Is that seriously Valentino Rossi catching air in a shifter cart on an ice track? The guy is crazy good. Apparently, Michael Schumacher was saddened that he decided not to make the move to F1.

Dead Jedi
Oct 25, 2010

Yes, mother fuckers. That's Arnie, Hef and Wilt Chaimberlain in one photo.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Dead Jedi posted:

I honestly thought that was Hef was Woody Harrelson for a moment.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Dead Jedi posted:

I'm trying to imagine a number of women these three men have had sex with and I don't know if there is a large enough number.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Dead Jedi posted:

Hmm, I might have that beat.

Lrrr
Jan 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

Ask Me For Warez posted:

I'm trying to imagine a number of women these three men have had sex with and I don't know if there is a large enough number.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lFQOmb6mVs
Carl Sagan has a number in mind that may be large enough.

• Locked thread