Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

RagnarokAngel posted:

I'm trying to imagine a conversation where a girl would go "Oh you make mods for a video game? Can you put me in it?" and it's not coming to me.

Try reframing it to better imagine it happening.

"Hi girl I like, I made you a companion in a video game I play"

"... a 'companion'?"

"You know, someone who follows me around, does what I say, wears what I tell to wear (or not) and with certain mods, can get their brains hosed out"

":gonk:"

Edit: Wait no, she "wanted" to be a mod. Insert delusionional conversations beforehand.

A Lamer fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Yeah um I can't imagine most girls that do play video games - and have interacted with male gamers - would want to be made into a virtual companion that can be easily modified.

Well except for Felicia Day I guess. At least she got paid for it.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Mr. Carlisle posted:

http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=39669

I don't know if this one is more sad or funny.

A girl he 'sits near' in high school 'wanted her own mod' so he made it for her. Also, she's located in a bathroom but she's totally not using it.

Then he flips out because people are talking about him being obsessed in the comments:

That's all levels of creepiness. And given what other mods are available on nexus. :gonk:

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Why would you even mention that you based it off a real person? Besides obviously being a dumb kid who does dumb things because he's a kid?

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow
Please add Yelena to the OP, if not just as a point of reference.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Yeah, put it in as in

>>> This is the worst mod <<<

and make sure everyone knows

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

Revolver Bunker posted:

That's all levels of creepiness. And given what other mods are available on nexus. :gonk:

Random Nexus Comment posted:

It creeps even the guys out that are on here. Even myself being a nerd and with my autism.

edit: Oh god the comedy. Great now I'm going to be reading Nexus quotes instead of working for the next 2 hours

quote:

HAVE YOU EVER ASKED YOURSELF WHY ALL THE GILRS LIKE THIS BRITISH ACTOR WHO PLAYS THE SWEETIE IN TWILIGHT? HAVE YOU EVER SEEN HIS BODY? NO GIRL DREAMS OF A STINKING, CORPULENT, AND WEIRDO COMPUTER GENIUS LEADING HER TO THE ALTAR BUT OF A GUY LIKE THIS. TRY TO BE LIKE THIS, MY FRIEND.

Mental Midget fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 19, 2011

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Mental Midget posted:

Is there any estimated release date on NMC(I think?)Hi-Res texture replacer?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
My favorite thing is the caption in the file's image.

"Found her."

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Nexus delivers again. :shepface:

Click here for the full 1280x1024 image.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
we need to buy a new Smilie, a nexus one

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
Starting a new play-through, thought I'd give XFO a try and was wondering what some of the other XFO users thought of this load order and what I might expect from the difficulty:

FalloutNV.esm
CaravanPack.esm
SCAV.esm
Advanced Recon Tech.esm
Primary Needs HUD.esm
Weapon Mod Expansion.esm
Tailor Maid Black Retex - NV.esp
w44Satchels - Lite.esp
Advanced Recon Tech.esp
Advanced Recon Gear.esp
IDreamOfElectricSheep.esp
IIWR 2.1.0.esp
UrgeWasterScarf.esp
TGsArmorCollectionVegas.esp
SpetsnazArmor.esp
WearGloves.esp
mac10.esp
hz_SVD.esp
DW1911.esp
AW50f.esp
Feng Shui NV.esp
Grave_Digger_v021.esp
UHNV.esp
UHNV-Performance-Patch.esp
Unified Backpack Mod.esp
PortableCampsite.esp
Weapon Mod Expansion.esp
XFO - 1aa - Accuracy Revamp - mild.esp
XFO - 1bb - Dmg - Non-Var - 2x.esp
XFO - 3ab - rarity - ammo - med.esp
XFO - 3bb - rarity - caps - med.esp
XFO - 3cb - rarity - meds - med.esp
XFO - 4b - Perks - Perk Every Level.esp
XFO - 5a - SPECIAL & Stats Rebalance.esp
XFO - 5b - Skills - SP Formula Rebalance.esp
XFO - 5c - Skills - Better Med Surv Repair.esp
XFO - 5ea - Skills - Barter - Mild.esp
XFO - 6b - Pacing - Mild (No Cap).esp
XFO - 8a - Cripple & Body Part Revamp.esp
XFO - 8b - Speed Increases.esp
XFO - 8c - Karma Rebalance.esp
XFO - 8d - Gore Changes.esp
XFO - 9a - Enemies - AI revamp.esp
XFO - 9da - Enemies - NPC Healing - low.esp
ELECTRO-CITY - CompletedWorkorders.esp
ELECTRO-CITY - Highways and Byways.esp
Nevada Skies - URWLified.esp
ELECTRO-CITY - Darker Nights.esp
ELECTRO-CITY - Imaginator.esp

Total active plugins: 49
Total plugins: 51

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
So, is there no way to update my mods through FOMM or what? I have mods in the package manager, that are not the most recently updated (the text is in orange under the web version column) but there is no way to update them as far as I can see, and I don't want to really download 78 mbs to get a single new texture or tweak or whatever, am I missing something?

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games

lipstick thespian posted:

RAD is right

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Horns posted:

Starting a new play-through, thought I'd give XFO a try and was wondering what some of the other XFO users thought of this load order and what I might expect from the difficulty:

XFO - 1aa - Accuracy Revamp - mild.esp
XFO - 1bb - Dmg - Non-Var - 2x.esp
XFO - 3ab - rarity - ammo - med.esp
XFO - 3bb - rarity - caps - med.esp
XFO - 3cb - rarity - meds - med.esp
XFO - 4b - Perks - Perk Every Level.esp
XFO - 5b - Skills - SP Formula Rebalance.esp
XFO - 5ea - Skills - Barter - Mild.esp
XFO - 6b - Pacing - Mild (No Cap).esp
XFO - 8b - Speed Increases.esp
XFO - 9da - Enemies - NPC Healing - low.esp

Total active plugins: 49
Total plugins: 51

The load order looks good to me. Your game shouldn't be too difficult, either since you seem to be using a lot of the "mild" and low settings, which aren't too far from vanilla (and the medium loot levels are pretty balanced). I've been running with this XFO load:

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

XFO - 1ab - Accuracy Revamp - hard.esp
XFO - 1be - Dmg - Skill-Var - 2x.esp
XFO - 2aa - Armor - DR+DT - revamp - low.esp
XFO - 2dc - Bleedthrough - 0% (Full DT).esp
XFO - 3ac - rarity - ammo - hard.esp
XFO - 3bc - rarity - caps - hard.esp
XFO - 3cc - rarity - meds - hard.esp
XFO - 5eb - Skills - Barter - Hard.esp
XFO - 6c - Pacing - Med (No Cap).esp
XFO - 7a - UnMSG - Empty.esp
XFO - 7b - UnMSG - Karma (Incl Sounds).esp
XFO - 7c - UnMSG - Sneak Status.esp
XFO - 9ba - Enemies - NPC Health + low.esp
XFO - 9ca - Enemies - NPC Aim + low.esp

And can say that the game is challenging, but not impossibly so. My only advice is to stick to Normal difficulty and instead adjust your modules accordingly should something become too easy / difficult.

EDIT: Oh, by the way, I believe "XFO - 5b - Skills - SP Formula Rebalance.esp" is still broken. The author was under the impression that the default formula for skill points was something it isn't, and thus made his to be 10 + (1 x INT) plus 2x points for every point put into one of your three tag skills. Doing the math, this basically breaks the game since you can max out at least one of your skills by level 4. The module does remove the 100-point cap (it's 254 now) but it doesn't really make up for the fact that the game isn't scaled very well to handle characters running around with 250 in guns and lockpick, in my opinion.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 20, 2011

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Machismo posted:

Let me tell you about a tanker in San Fransisco Bay that I wandered into. NOT fun.

Vic I swear to christ if you use burst in here so help me god I will

VIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIC :argh:

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The load order looks good to me. Your game shouldn't be too difficult, either since you seem to be using a lot of the "mild" and low settings, which aren't too far from vanilla (and the medium loot levels are pretty balanced). I've been running with this XFO load:

And can say that the game is challenging, but not impossibly so. My only advice is to stick to Normal difficulty and instead adjust your modules accordingly should something become too easy / difficult.

EDIT: Oh, by the way, I believe "XFO - 5b - Skills - SP Formula Rebalance.esp" is still broken. The author was under the impression that the default formula for skill points was something it isn't, and thus made his to be 10 + (1 x INT) plus 2x points for every point put into one of your three tag skills. Doing the math, this basically breaks the game since you can max out at least one of your skills by level 4. The module does remove the 100-point cap (it's 254 now) but it doesn't really make up for the fact that the game isn't scaled very well to handle characters running around with 250 in guns and lockpick, in my opinion.
Yeah, I've decided to switch the loot modifiers over to hard because I thought I was already finding too much stuff just looting around Goodsprings. Almost as much as I was finding in the vanilla game.

Also got rid of the skill balance. He should probably update his front page because he still lists it as recommended even though it sounds really broken.

Apprehensive about using the armor DT modifiers because I know I'm going to be using a lot of mod armors. How much of a difference is there between vanilla armor changed by the XFO module and armor added by mods that isn't affected? I'd hate to completely negate the rebalance with mod armor that was only slightly better than plain old leather armor in vanilla and now makes me a bullet-proof tank with XFO.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
What would even cause FOMM to not update my mods that are in the package manager?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Horns posted:

Apprehensive about using the armor DT modifiers because I know I'm going to be using a lot of mod armors. How much of a difference is there between vanilla armor changed by the XFO module and armor added by mods that isn't affected? I'd hate to completely negate the rebalance with mod armor that was only slightly better than plain old leather armor in vanilla and now makes me a bullet-proof tank with XFO.

Unfortunately that's a question that can't be answered, as the stats for armor added in by mods varies wildly. Some mods aim to balance their custom outfits with vanilla stats. Some add DR in addition to DT. Some just get lazy and don't add enough / too much DT for them to play nicely with anything else.

There are several different flavors of XFO armor rebalance, as well. The most important thing, however, is not the armor overhaul but rather the module that modifies "bleedthrough", which is what will turn characters into a tank. What it boils down to is this: Vanilla NV has a "bleedthrough" of 20%. That is, even if you're shooting somebody wearing 20 DT armor with a pistol that does 5 DAM per shot, 20% of this (or 1 DAM) will still get through the armor and hurt the wearer. This leads to situations where you can plink a BoS Paladin to death with a .22, given enough time and ammunition.

XFO also takes several different approaches to rebalancing armor. One way is to blindly add a complementary amount of DR to each outfit; a second does this as well as doubling the vanilla DT value; a third adds an equal amount of DR to the outfit's DT, and then doubles both values. Then there's a more exhaustive module that goes through and somewhat intelligently modifies armors to better distinguish the three categories (light, medium, heavy.) At this point you should start to see where it's difficult to ascertain how well an untouched armor mod will mesh with XFO.

The XFO "Bleedthrough" overhaul modifies this so that only 10%, 5%, or 0% of an inferior weapon's damage penetrates superior armor. That's where the "Tank" effect comes from. At 0% "Bleedthrough", you need a weapon that does at least as much DAM per shot (forget DPS) as the target's DT. Anything less and you will be unable to damage the wearer. That's why light armor is almost entirely DR: It protects by resisting damage, but is largely incapable of stopping damage. Medium is balance of DR and DT, and heavy is almost entirely DT.

Without using a "Bleedthrough" module, you probably won't notice a huge difference between armored opponents in NV and armored opponents in XFO. That's because you're also using a module that doubles the damage weapons cause. This means that unarmored opponents are the only ones at a significant disadvantage in XFO, which makes more sense.

TL;DR, You're going to have to open up each armor mod and rescale it to have appropriate DR / DT values if you want it to work with XFO plugins, but "bleedthrough" will have a larger effect on your game than the armor overhaul, itself.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 20, 2011

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Back in FO3 there was a mod that let you have a pistol type weapon on your hip, and a rifle weapon on your back at the same time. It did nothing but look cool.

Is there something like this for Vegas?

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Wait, is there seriously no way to update a mod without re-downloading it? :smith:

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Capn Beeb posted:

Back in FO3 there was a mod that let you have a pistol type weapon on your hip, and a rifle weapon on your back at the same time. It did nothing but look cool.

If you can find it, perhaps we can go abouts converting it.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Brace posted:

Wait, is there seriously no way to update a mod without re-downloading it? :smith:

There's no central repository where people put their mods to be pushed out to people's fallout mod managers, modding isn't a spectator sport brah welcome to hell.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

SheepNameKiller posted:

There's no central repository where people put their mods to be pushed out to people's fallout mod managers, modding isn't a spectator sport brah welcome to hell.

Oh god I thought there was some way FOMM could give me an update through its interface rather than having to re-download an entire mod to get one little tweak... :smith: drat it modding

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
This game is much more interesting on Very Hard with increased spawns x3 and MAD (quad(?) damage given and received, and a ~70 carry weight at 3 strength) :v: And yet, I'm still not willing to try hardcore mode.

Is there anything that makes you not look stupid in third-person when running and strafing at the same time? I know it was the same way in Oblivion, so is that something inherent to the engine?

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

VROOM VROOM posted:

Is there anything that makes you not look stupid in third-person when running and strafing at the same time? I know it was the same way in Oblivion, so is that something inherent to the engine?

It's the engine. They're using an older version of the engine that doesn't allow more complex animations.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
They could do it, they just won't.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Schubalts posted:

They could do it, they just won't.

Yeah I don't really blame Gamebryo, since Divinity II uses their middleware and it's the most beautiful game I've played in years. It's a shame Fallout 3/NV look so awkward.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Vertigus posted:

Yeah I don't really blame Gamebryo, since Divinity II uses their middleware and it's the most beautiful game I've played in years. It's a shame Fallout 3/NV look so awkward.

shittleware, someone give me auto-updating in fomm goddamnit stupid gamebryo

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Capn Beeb posted:

I would also be interested in this. I couldn't find anything at fallout3nexus but I am not good at searching.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Brace posted:

shittleware, someone give me auto-updating in fomm goddamnit stupid gamebryo

You should take your avatar's advice mate.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Brace posted:

Up to the author. Many, many mods I've used have had options similar to "version x to y update ESM ONLY" and "version x main" and "version x.z hotfix if you have this one issue" on their downloads pages.

The larger mods generally break things up into assets, asset updates, the ESPs, and ESP updates; you only need to grab updates as they come, but you still need to actually click to download the mod, yes. Nexus actually has a "last 10 files you downloaded" history buried somewhere, which can help when you check for updates.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
Goddamn, Cream. Thanks for the info. Going by your post and the stats of my mod armor, I think the most mild armor rebalance with just a bit of bleedthrough should prevent me from becoming an unkillable bullet sponge at least for now. I still have a bit of an early game advantage, but it's no more than what I'd get if I was using the pre-order bonus armor from the Caravan Pack, so it's no big deal.

So far I'm really pleased with XFO. Using the hard level loot rarity module for ammo doesn't make ammo frustratingly impossible to find, I'd actually say it's just about right. I like that it really forces me to be conservative with my shots and plan things out ahead of time. While the increased weapon sway was a little off-putting at first, it's become much more manageable with practice and gun skill. Sniping, even at this early stage in the game (I've barely even left Goodsprings), now feels a lot more rewarding.

One thing I did get rid of though is the gore module. Heads were still being decapitated way too often so I switched it out with Gore Tweaks. Now a head shot is an almost 100% guaranteed chance of exploding head meats, which is still too much, but I can't stand the goofy looking decapitations.

BTW, WME just recently got an update and I saw this in one of the new pics in the image section:

Anyone know what mod the mask/helmet in this pic came from?

Toasta
Jan 18, 2006
All shall fade to black.
Second play through with a bunch of fun mods, mostly all visual. Decided to go melee as a last resort and have max speech and barter as my weapons. Of course, I would need a fine posse behind me to back me up when things went to poo poo.

This game really is almost too much fun.

Click here for the full 1152x864 image.

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

What about the children foo'?
Is anyone else having issues with dissapearing companions?
Boone and EDE definitely don't follow me through the Freeside South gate and now they've just kind of dissapeared into the ether out at Ellis. They're showing on the map but not in the world and using TCL to try go under the ground to find them doesn't work (once you go 'under' the floor it warps you back on top for some reason)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Mister Bung posted:

Is anyone else having issues with dissapearing companions?
Boone and EDE definitely don't follow me through the Freeside South gate and now they've just kind of dissapeared into the ether out at Ellis. They're showing on the map but not in the world and using TCL to try go under the ground to find them doesn't work (once you go 'under' the floor it warps you back on top for some reason)

Show me your load order--I have the same exact issue. There are very specific gates that companions will not travel through in New Vegas, including the Crimson Caravan gates. Now I'm not sure if it's a mod issue or a vanilla issue. For some reason I'm inclined to blame this on the Community Compilation patch, if simply for the fact that I didn't notice the problem until I started using the most recent one. (Although it could also be one of the Charisma-based Companion mods.)

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

I think it's a vanilla issue. You can get your companions back by entering interior locations and then leaving back into the cell you lost them on. It seems to be an issue with transitioning between two outdoor cells like crimson caravan, the strip, the airport etc. These don't send you to an entirely new location, but rather put you on the other side of the gate and load in the new cell. I get the impression your companions aren't warping past the gate with you due to follow distance or something.

Demerzel
Sep 11, 2001

Only the spergiest will do.

lipstick thespian posted:

Wait who is that? First thing that came to mind was Dorothy, which would actually be cool except the costume is definitely sexier. Unless I'm looking at that red eye wrong.

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

What about the children foo'?

A Lamer posted:

I think it's a vanilla issue. You can get your companions back by entering interior locations and then leaving back into the cell you lost them on. It seems to be an issue with transitioning between two outdoor cells like crimson caravan, the strip, the airport etc. These don't send you to an entirely new location, but rather put you on the other side of the gate and load in the new cell. I get the impression your companions aren't warping past the gate with you due to follow distance or something.

Yeah I found that if I quicksaved at the spot they were showing on the map, the reloaded it they'd come back.

My load order for Senor Cream-of-Plenty's perusal:
FalloutNV.esm
More Perks.esm
Tales from the Burning Sands.esm
Weapon Mod Expansion.esm
New Vegas Redesigned.esm
Compiled Patch.esp
Red Lucy (Knobody13 request).esp
Silus (Vcat request).esp
DarNifiedUINV.esp
CASM.esp
SaveKey.esp
NewVegasBounties.esp
IIWR 2.1.0.esp
UHNV.esp
UHNV-Performance-Patch.esp
Existence2.0.esp
CONELRAD 640-1240.esp
unlocked armors v2_2.esp
Cactai of the Wastes [plugin].esp
More Perks Update.esp
LootableOldCars_OE.esp
Sprint Mod.esp
WMR_WME_A.esp
Better Binoculars High.esp
DynamicNightVision.esp
Tailor Maid - NV.esp
Tailor Maid Black Retex - NV.esp
Feng Shui NV.esp
noautoaim.esp
RepairKit.esp
ELECTRO-CITY - CompletedWorkorders.esp
ELECTRO-CITY - Highways and Byways.esp
Nevada Skies - URWLified.esp
ELECTRO-CITY - Imaginator.esp
UnderwaterFX.esp
UWFXGodrays.esp
NVGoggles.esp
Weapon Mod Expansion.esp
CompanionDisguises.esp
NVBobbleheads.esp
LegendaryHunter.esp
KillingKarmaFix.esp

Total active plugins: 42
Total plugins: 47

The only companion specific ones I'm using are the disguises one and whatever came in the Community patch. Am I right in reading there that it's been updated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Demerzel posted:

Wait who is that? First thing that came to mind was Dorothy, which would actually be cool except the costume is definitely sexier. Unless I'm looking at that red eye wrong.

It's just the Courier wearing the type 3 maid outfit that someone ported over from Fallout 3, with a cyborg red eye.

I definitely recommend the cyborg eye though, not only does it allow you to use nightvision and thermal vision, it also looks mighty stylish!