Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is getting a Criterion blu-ray release on April 29.
Other titles that will be released as part of the April wave are Blow Out, Le Cercle Rouge, Kes, Sweetie, and White Material.
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5753

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I was planning to sell most of my Blu-Rays, anybody know what is up with The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original)?

Seems like it is out-of-print but I can't find any information on why it went OOP.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Sporadic posted:

I was planning to sell most of my Blu-Rays

Going all digital?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Sporadic posted:

I was planning to sell most of my Blu-Rays, anybody know what is up with The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original)?

Seems like it is out-of-print but I can't find any information on why it went OOP.

gently caress, if that's out of print I'm going to be pissed at myself for not buying it for $10 at Best Buy all these months. Gonna have to head up there tomorrow and grab a copy before it's too late.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

zenintrude posted:

Going all digital?

No, just the realization that I have alot of stuff I either won't watch again or haven't even opened yet. Stuff that could be money if I sold it instead of let it gather dust on my shelves. :)

Although, Netflix has put an abrupt stop on my Blu-Ray spending.

Criminal Minded posted:

gently caress, if that's out of print I'm going to be pissed at myself for not buying it for $10 at Best Buy all these months. Gonna have to head up there tomorrow and grab a copy before it's too late.

I still haven't found official word that it is out of print but from what I gathered

1) The shiny foil cover was limited to the first run.
2) It received a second (but I guess smaller?) run with a normal paper cover
3) The fact that the DVD is also not in stock at Amazon along with the fact I can't find anything regarding this on Dark Sky Films website, makes me think that they lost the rights to it (a la Criterion and The Third Man)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Looks like the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy is coming out next month (as a complete boxset) However it seems that it's only the theatrical versions. And from what it seems, they plan to release the uncut later this year/maybe the next.

My question is this, is it worth waiting for the uncut edition? (I've never read the book series) The theatrical trilogy pack has a decent enough price that I'm willing to pick it up on a basically blind buy. But I just want to know if anyone that's seen both editions would definitely recommend waiting for the uncut (for some reason like it gives better cohesiveness to the story or something).

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

My wife just picked up the $9.99 Magnificent Seven at Target for me. Yay!

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?
You guys were so right about those uber-collectors and their slipcovers. My girlfriend and I keep ours in a drawer and never look at them. As an experiment, I put them up for sale and have already made about $25 off just 8 of them.

Also, if any of you have a Beetlejuice slipcover you could probably get $10 for it. I got about 10 messages in reference to that one within 30 minutes.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Topper Harley posted:

I got about 10 messages in reference to that one within 30 minutes.

Where are you trying to sell these? I have a bunch...

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Topper Harley posted:

You guys were so right about those uber-collectors and their slipcovers. My girlfriend and I keep ours in a drawer and never look at them. As an experiment, I put them up for sale and have already made about $25 off just 8 of them.

Also, if any of you have a Beetlejuice slipcover you could probably get $10 for it. I got about 10 messages in reference to that one within 30 minutes.

Yep, definitely holding on to the quasi-slip for Social Network

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

The Hastings near me is having a 40% off used blu rays deal AND they are buy 1, get 1 for $1. Pretty unbelievable. I picked up A Bug's Life, Ratatouille, Ponyo, Toy Story 3, Piranha 3D, and The Last Exorcism for about $45.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Tesh posted:

The Hastings near me is having a 40% off used blu rays deal AND they are buy 1, get 1 for $1. Pretty unbelievable. I picked up A Bug's Life, Ratatouille, Ponyo, Toy Story 3, Piranha 3D, and The Last Exorcism for about $45.
Crap there are no Hastings stores in Ohio :I

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?

zenintrude posted:

Where are you trying to sell these? I have a bunch...

Blu-Ray.com. I was selling them for about 3 bucks apiece but you could probably ask more and they'd still bite. I wasn't really trying to make any money and ended up selling about 10 slipcovers for $34 (cost $7 to ship them).

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Godfuckingdamnit....

The Digital Bits posted:

And Warner has just released a statement saying that the previously-announced 1/25 Blu-ray release of Malcolm X has been delayed because of a music clearance issue. All parties are apparently working toward a resolution, but until that happens WHV is no longer distributing the title. Hopefully, the situation will get resolved soon.

In other news: Taschen's massive, 10-piece Stanley Kubrick's Napoleon book is being released in a saner version for people who don't have $1500 to blow on a book about a hypothetical movie. Now come on, Taschen, how about a cheap edition of the Bergman Archives?

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Someone at Amazon decided to have some fun with the Raging Bull 30th Anniversary edition's "Special Features" section:

quote:

Four new featurettes: Marty & Bobby; Raging Bull: Reflections on a Classic; Remembering Jake; Marty on Fockers
The last one is really "Marty on Film." That would've been an awesome featurette, though.

Also, the 30th edition is currently $1 less than the Blu-Ray-only 2009 edition. The new featurettes total to about 45 minutes but everything else is the same… I'm still probably going to convince myself that it's worth a double-dip someday.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

Godfuckingdamnit....

What on earth could be hard to re-obtain?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104797/soundtrack

Is "Revolution" a cover of the Beatles song?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Mustach posted:

Someone at Amazon decided to have some fun with the Raging Bull 30th Anniversary edition's "Special Features" section:

The last one is really "Marty on Film." That would've been an awesome featurette, though.

Also, the 30th edition is currently $1 less than the Blu-Ray-only 2009 edition. The new featurettes total to about 45 minutes but everything else is the same… I'm still probably going to convince myself that it's worth a double-dip someday.

I may eventually crack too but not any time soon. I still haven't even picked up Alien Anthology since I'm saving for Las Vegas in a little over two weeks and don't have a lot of money. :sigh:

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
South Park Season 14 Apr 26
What Dreams May Come May 3

WB is working on a big Superman set:

quote:

Spanish site Zona DVD is reporting that Warner Home Video is preparing the Blu-ray release of Superman Ultimate Collector's Edition, including all the existing Superman movies (Superman: The Movie, Superman II, Superman III, Superman IV: The Quest For Peace and Superman Returns); note that III and IV are new to high-def. The pack will reportedly consist of seven discs, with similar content to that of the standard-definition set released in 2006.

The release date has not been set yet. Although the new Supes movie, Superman: Man of Steel, is slated for theatrical release in December 2012, ZonaDVD states that it is highly likely that this BD set will come out as early as 2011.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Nevermind, seems like they are selling preorders, not copies they already have on hand.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 20, 2011

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
You guys weren't kidding. The Social Network cover sure smells weird.

D'serius
May 24, 2003

Forums Armorer

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

You guys weren't kidding. The Social Network cover sure smells weird.

Glad I'm not the only one. They smell kind of like those old nasty scratch and sniff stickers "I think this flavor is supposed to be rear end!"

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

D'serius posted:

Glad I'm not the only one. They smell kind of like those old nasty scratch and sniff stickers "I think this flavor is supposed to be rear end!"

Does it smell like Harvard?

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Thanks for pointing out the What's Up, Doc deal last week, Thodt, I watched the blu-ray last night and my girlfriend loved it. What a keen movie. :3:

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Jay Dub posted:

Does it smell like Harvard?

Smells like Harvard Square.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Heavy Metal 2/1 (Best Buy Exclusive)
The Manchurian Candidate (1962) 5/3 (Best Buy Exclusive)
Black Swan 3/8

Taxi Driver is rumored for 4/5

Fox is releasing a wave of family titles on 3/22:
Anastasia
Because of Winn Dixie
Doctor Dolittle (1998)
Flicka
Robots
The Sandlot

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 21, 2011

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh god The Sandlot is going to break my heart. It's probably a 10 year old master.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Captain Charisma posted:

Oh god The Sandlot is going to break my heart. It's probably a 10 year old master.

So is it pretty for sure that they won't do anything special with it? Will this most likely just be an upscaled version of the dvd? That is sad. This movie could look so good with a nice new transfer.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

The Sandlot is not only one of my favorite movies ever from my childhood, but the Blu-Ray is coming out on my birthday. I really hope that by some stroke of luck that the Blu-Ray is decent.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Moon dropped down to $8.99 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002T9H2ME?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002T9H2ME

I'm still waiting for the day Synecdoche, New York goes on sale :sigh:

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

ApexAftermath posted:

So is it pretty for sure that they won't do anything special with it? Will this most likely just be an upscaled version of the dvd? That is sad. This movie could look so good with a nice new transfer.

Fox's releases have all been decent save a few 2007-ish DNR screw-ups. They've been putting out a lot of deep-catalogue MGM stuff and it's all decent-to-good (hell, even Overboard isn't bad and I never in a million years thought that wouldn't look like crap). Will it be a brand-new 4k scan? No, of course not. But it'll probably look like (old, relatively grainy) film with a sizable detail increase over DVD and no obnoxious digital tampering. Upscaled DVD? Definitely not - besides maybe one or two Universal screw-ups (and they are absolutely the worst at catalogue titles), nothing from a major stdio has ever been accused of being even close to a DVD upscale.

edit: Except titles that actually ARE standard def upconverts due to the fact that they were filmed in standard definition (Always Sunny Season 5, 28 Days Later, etc.). I know someone would correct me on this if I didn't mention it...

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

doctor thodt posted:

Heavy Metal 2/1 (Best Buy Exclusive)

That's not cool.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
3 more BB exclusives on 2/1:
The Cove
The Rules of Attraction
Still Waiting...

Psyched for The Cove. Thought the ship had sailed on that one.

Special features for The Cable Guy:

quote:

- Feature Commentary with Ben Stiller, Judd Apatow, and Jim Carrey
- Gag Reel
- Deleted & Extended Scenes: Robin Turns Steven Down, Chip & Robin Lunch, Sam Sweet
Dinner, Steven & Robin After Dinner, The Terminator, My Three Sons, Nightmare ALT, Ending Part 1 ALT
- HBO First Look: The Cable Guy
- Comedy Central Canned Ham Presents: The Cable Guy
- Rehearsals: Basketball, Medieval Times, Breakfast, Ending Mud Fight, Karaoke ALT – Bust A Move
- Nightmare Camera Test
- Leslie Mann Audition
- "Leave Me Alone" Music Video
- The Cable Guy Trailer

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 21, 2011

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
It doesn't have the music video for 'Somebody to Love'?

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

doctor thodt posted:

Special features for The Cable Guy:

That commentary is going to rock. I can't wait.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

ApexAftermath posted:

Not an upscale, but most likely an HD remaster they did in like 2001 to futureproof it. It's quite funny, since all of the "futureproofed" masters are pretty much all lackluster by today's standards.

Also to be fair Fargo has some really ugly EE.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

The Bank Job is ridiculously cheap at $5.49: http://www.amazon.com/The-Bank-Job-...ASIN=B0019EXZYE

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

zenintrude posted:

The Bank Job is ridiculously cheap at $5.49: http://www.amazon.com/The-Bank-Job-...ASIN=B0019EXZYE

War is also back down to $5.49

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X1Z0CO?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000X1Z0CO

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

All About Eve

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Taxi Driver (digibook) 4/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's about time, that'll be a day-one purchase for me.

• Locked thread