Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

My dad and I got to talking about the "what ifs", and plan on giving each other joint access to each others bank accounts in case one of us kicks the bucket. Could being named a joint account holder be considered income, or be taxable?

I'm just wondering if we could be screwing ourselves with the IRS or some other arm of government by allowing each other joint access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

SkunkDuster posted:

My dad and I got to talking about the "what ifs", and plan on giving each other joint access to each others bank accounts in case one of us kicks the bucket. Could being named a joint account holder be considered income, or be taxable?

I'm just wondering if we could be screwing ourselves with the IRS or some other arm of government by allowing each other joint access.

No.

Of course if you/he start dumping or withdrawing huge sums of cash there could be problems (as far as tax evasion etc).

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!
Can anyone identify this font for me?

Click here for the full 1296x968 image.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

TremendousMajestic posted:

Can anyone identify this font for me?

Click here for the full 1296x968 image.

http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/urw/bernhard-gothic/t-medium/

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!

You nailed it, thank you.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TremendousMajestic posted:

You nailed it, thank you.

For future reference, WhatTheFont.com is a miracle for this sort of thing.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I am a TA for a prof who is projecting off his ipad. His slides are all in pdf format, but apparently the ipad wont project pdfs. So we are having to move everything over to keynote.

There must be a way around this. Is there a nice app I can have him get that will allow him to project pdfs from his ipad.

thefoozl
Nov 9, 2010
Help, monarch caterpillars are eating all my swan plants :<

What else can I feed them?

Cowboy Mark
Sep 9, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

This has been going around facebook: Blah blah blah many great dates that have all ones in them, blah blah, also if you add the last two digits of your year of birth plus the age you will turn this year, it will add up to 111.

Whats the breakdown of math behind that as it relates to calendars? How often does it happen?

It is kind of obvious if you work through it for different years/dates; next year the same formula will add up to 112 for everyone. It's the number of years from 1900 essentially.

e.g.:

1980 -> 80 + 31 y.o. = 111
1970 -> 70 + 41 y.o. = 111

Falls over for people born after 1999:

2001 -> 01 + 10 y.o. = 11 (because it needs to be 101 for the formula to work)

If it's still not clear imagine we're in the year 1950:

1920 -> 20 + 30 y.o. = 50

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
Holy crap, how could I not see that.

Thanks for that. Guh, I feel stupid. I'm going outside now to have a good long chat with me about being thirty seven and so loving ignorant in basic math.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

thefoozl posted:

Help, monarch caterpillars are eating all my swan plants :<

What else can I feed them?

Wikipedia has a list of potential host plants. They will eat a few other related species if nothing else is available, but if you've got a real milkweed/swan plant there then no way will they settle for a substitute. You can also cover your plants with mesh to prevent access for egg laying until the season is over.

Otherwise, you're kind of doomed, sorry. Many people (myself included) have swan plants ONLY to attract monarchs, and they work well.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Its a dumb hypothetical question, but could someone replace all their meals with a pill supplement? Literally a pill that contains all the nutrients they would normally get from food, and swallow it down with water a few times a day? I mean aside from being super depressed from not being able to taste food, would they be healther than the person who eats like the average male?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
What's it called when you try to remember something and can't, and then soon afterwards the answer presents itself to you without you doing anything?

Example: The other day I was racking my brains trying to remember who sang a certain song, which I'd also forgotten, and just now someone tweeted the name of that singer.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

eating only apples posted:

What's it called when you try to remember something and can't, and then soon afterwards the answer presents itself to you without you doing anything?

Example: The other day I was racking my brains trying to remember who sang a certain song, which I'd also forgotten, and just now someone tweeted the name of that singer.

Baader-Meinhof phenomenon?

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

eating only apples posted:

You might be thinking of a 'moment of serendipity', which is 'an aptitude for making desirable discoveries by accident.'

AuMaestro
May 27, 2007

Avocadoes posted:

Its a dumb hypothetical question, but could someone replace all their meals with a pill supplement? Literally a pill that contains all the nutrients they would normally get from food, and swallow it down with water a few times a day? I mean aside from being super depressed from not being able to taste food, would they be healther than the person who eats like the average male?

No, because unless you fill up your stomach with something you are going to feel hungry, and we're also not designed to absorb all of those nutrients in an efficient way.

There's a hilarious thread about this, though.

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat

Avocadoes posted:

Total parenteral nutrition is about as close as this gets. The next step up from this would be a gastric feeding tube, I suppose.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Pretty sure jamie hyneman takes highly nutritious food and just blends it and drinks the mush all day. It's not a food pill but that's probably the closest you can get right now.

LuckyDaemon
Jan 14, 2006

Lower your standards.
This means dating fat girls because you can't do better.
Last month I bought 1995 ford contour for $500 and the temperature gauge is broken. There is no "cold full" line on the coolant reservoir tank, just MIN and MAX lines.

If the engine is completely cold should I see coolant in the tank or no? I filled it to the MIN line yesterday (cold engine) before running some errands and when I checked it this morning the tank was empty again (also cold engine).

Coolant expands, right? So maybe there's not supposed to be any fluid in there unless the car has been running for a bit? (god I hope so)

Edit: temp gauge is stuck at max hot even when the car is off, so no useful info there.

LuckyDaemon fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 20, 2011

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

hooah posted:

Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring. In 9/8, too.

How'd you figure it out? Play it and recognize?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

LuckyDaemon posted:

Last month I bought 1995 ford contour for $500 and the temperature gauge is broken. There is no "cold full" line on the coolant reservoir tank, just MIN and MAX lines.

If the engine is completely cold should I see coolant in the tank or no? I filled it to the MIN line yesterday (cold engine) before running some errands and when I checked it this morning the tank was empty again (also cold engine).

Coolant expands, right? So maybe there's not supposed to be any fluid in there unless the car has been running for a bit? (god I hope so)

After a couple fillups to the MIN line, it should stabilize. I'd check the oil and see if there's any coolant contamination. And keep a close eye on your engine temp gauge.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Travakian posted:

How'd you figure it out? Play it and recognize?

Well, knowing that it was all the same value (8th notes, in this case) really helped. I'm a professional musician, so I have a decent inner ear. The hard part was that didn't really start at the beginning of the tune.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

LuckyDaemon posted:

Edit: temp gauge is stuck at max hot even when the car is off, so no useful info there.

Yes, it expands. No, it's isn't going to affect the car in any way if you overfill the reserve tank by filling it to the "full/hot", when cold, aside from leaking coolant from that tank (if it gets that hot).

It takes a bit of work but simply filling it up and marking it over a few days in the same condition (fill to max once then mark when you arrive at ____ over a period) will give you a lot of answers.

There's tons of q&a about water/cooling problems, but the main thing you need to know is that the lack of it and the lack of a gauge will cook that engine in short order.

(this is "keep a 500$ car with a head gasket leak alive advice" not "how to properly maintain a car" ;) )

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
Umm I hate to be a debbie downer but I think you've probably got a major leak somewhere. Was there ever any significant front end damage? You bought that joker with the understanding that the coolant level might play some tricks? My man you should not be topping that bitch off to any line only to have it disappear more than once in a short period of time. I'm not going to get any more AI than this because there are much more informed people on SA than me but to it sounds like you got stroked on that buy.

SuperS
Oct 28, 2007
i'm not that super, really
"A fishing boat performed a miraculous rescue of three teenagers who had been lost at sea and had started drinking seawater. They had eaten just one seagull in 50 days adrift. The medical officer knew to be careful not to feed them or give them water quickly, and instead put them on an intravenous drip."

Why was it important to not give the teenagers food and water immediately?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SuperS posted:

"A fishing boat performed a miraculous rescue of three teenagers who had been lost at sea and had started drinking seawater. They had eaten just one seagull in 50 days adrift. The medical officer knew to be careful not to feed them or give them water quickly, and instead put them on an intravenous drip."

They are at an extremely high risk for nausea and vomiting which is the last thing you want.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

SuperS posted:

The chemistry of your body changes dramatically when you go without food/water, and the longer you go without the bigger the change. Essentially your body goes into hyper conservative mood, recognizing that if you haven't given yourself food or water, then they must be scarce. Your body needs to make the most of what it's got, and will begin shifting the focus of it's energy consumption to your energy stores. It stops maintaining muscles, and will begin seeking energy from your fat stores and wherever else it can.

Going for such a long period of time, these kids must have looked like they just walked off a concentration camp. Their bodies needed sustenance, yes, but their bodies also needed to adjust back to being able to absorb and process those substances normally. Put food and water into their stomachs and their bodies literally wouldn't even be able to muster the energy and enzymes necessary to process them. Water they may have been given in small amounts, but definitely not food. The digestive system is a multi-stage process that begins with mashing with your teeth, your saliva beginning the initial break down and allowing for a smooth passage down your throat, and your stomach acids doing even more break down. These kids wouldn't have had any saliva or stomach acids. Their bodies would have stopped producing them long ago because it takes resources to produce them and they weren't being used for anything. Even if they were fed mushy foods, it would have just sat in their stomachs because there wouldn't be the stomach acids to break it down. Without anything to break it down, the body wouldn't be able to absorb any nutrients from it, and it would essentially pass through your intestines undigested (painful and messy) if you didn't vomit it (painful and harmful to your already very frail body). The proper and safe recovery process for prolonged periods of starvation and dehydration begins with an intravenous drip to reintroduce the most basic nutrients your body needs to get started again.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
Can someone tell me what Ricky Gervais said at the Golden Globes that was that bad? I only watched bits and pieces of it but from what I saw, he didn't say anything that was out of the ordinary for a comedian host... I can't seem to find any online news that give any quotes and instead just say stuff like HIS OUTRAGEOUS performance OUTRAGED TONS OF PEOPLE -- without giving direct references.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Can someone tell me what Ricky Gervais said at the Golden Globes that was that bad? I only watched bits and pieces of it but from what I saw, he didn't say anything that was out of the ordinary for a comedian host... I can't seem to find any online news that give any quotes and instead just say stuff like HIS OUTRAGEOUS performance OUTRAGED TONS OF PEOPLE -- without giving direct references.

This article has quotes and covers most of it:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1347874/Golden-Globes-2011-Ricky-Gervais-makes-gay-jibe-famous-Scientologist-actors.html

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Here's some of the shocking footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k38cqDYqb4g&hd=1

It was like 14 9/11's. (actually I think the media cares a whole lot more than the people at the show judging by what they said after the fact)

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
The concentration camp comparison is apt since many people who were rescued from the camps died afterwards due to being given too much food too suddenly.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Here's some of the shocking footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k38cqDYqb4g&hd=1

It was like 14 9/11's. (actually I think the media cares a whole lot more than the people at the show judging by what they said after the fact)

Yeah, I don't get how this is "an outrage" when the vast majority of Hollywood types interviewed in that article either thought it was funny or gave as good as they got.

LuckyDaemon
Jan 14, 2006

Lower your standards.
This means dating fat girls because you can't do better.

John Q Russia posted:

Umm I hate to be a debbie downer but I think you've probably got a major leak somewhere. Was there ever any significant front end damage? You bought that joker with the understanding that the coolant level might play some tricks? My man you should not be topping that bitch off to any line only to have it disappear more than once in a short period of time. I'm not going to get any more AI than this because there are much more informed people on SA than me but to it sounds like you got stroked on that buy.

Well, the car only needs to run until the end of April, and we only need it on the weekends (average maybe 10-15 miles a week). I live in a place where $500 for any car running or not is a steal and a loaf of bread is $4.99 (sigh).

It wouldn't be the end of the world if it died right now, but it would be nice to have it around that long.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

haveblue posted:

Yeah, I don't get how this is "an outrage" when the vast majority of Hollywood types interviewed in that article either thought it was funny or gave as good as they got.
I don't get how it's an outrage when it's just Ricky Gervais being Ricky Gervais. They knew what they were getting. You either think he's hilarious or think he's a smug little twat.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

AuMaestro posted:

No, because unless you fill up your stomach with something you are going to feel hungry, and we're also not designed to absorb all of those nutrients in an efficient way.

There's a hilarious thread about this, though.

Somehow that thread made me embarrassed that I asked. Its hilarious though, will probably 5 it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Avocadoes posted:

Somehow that thread made me embarrassed that I asked. Its hilarious though, will probably 5 it.

I really, really want to use that dumb BEEP BOOP catchphrase now.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

LuckyDaemon posted:

Well, the car only needs to run until the end of April, and we only need it on the weekends (average maybe 10-15 miles a week). I live in a place where $500 for any car running or not is a steal and a loaf of bread is $4.99 (sigh).

It wouldn't be the end of the world if it died right now, but it would be nice to have it around that long.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

There are a few places coolant can go to when it leaks, so start by checking those areas to see if it's an actual leak, or overheating and spewing out of the overflow.

The coolant can leak through the headgasket or intake gasket, and get into 2 places it shouldn't: The crankcase and the combustion chambers. If it's in the crankcase, your oil will look like chocolate milk (don't drink it as delicious as it may look). If it's leaking into the cylinders, then your exhaust will have a white, sweet-smelling smoke, even if outside temperatures are warm. All engines produce water vapor that condenses when it's cold out, but this will be denser smoke.

The next place to check is the heater core. It's up in the dashboard, and a total bitch to get to, but leaks present themselves in 2 ways: Dripping down into the carpet on the passenger side and by coating the windshield in a thin film. Coolant doesn't really evaporate all that well, so it stays wet for a long time. If your windshield or carpet seems eternally wet, your heater core or the lines to it are leaking in your dash.

You can have external leaks that are only present when the engine is running and warmed up. I had a car that did this, poking around the engine bay with a mirror found a small leak in the headgasket. Since the engine had to be warmed up for the leak to take effect it would drizzle down and coat the underside of the car with a thin mist.

If you don't plan on keeping the car around very long, use some of that cheap stop leak stuff from the parts store. It might work long enough to get some extra life out of it.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

I just spent 10 minutes searching the internet to see when Kevin Smith's daughter died because I misunderstood something he said on the Nerdist podcast. Referencing when he saw a movie he said "it was when my kid was alive". I took that to mean she had passed away, but apparently he meant "after she was born".

Is this a regional turn of phrase, or would anyone else think this is a strange way to say it?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

The Aphasian posted:

I just spent 10 minutes searching the internet to see when Kevin Smith's daughter died because I misunderstood something he said on the Nerdist podcast. Referencing when he saw a movie he said "it was when my kid was alive". I took that to mean she had passed away, but apparently he meant "after she was born".

Is this a regional turn of phrase, or would anyone else think this is a strange way to say it?

Smith is a very conservative born-again fundamentalist Christian now though, so he might have actually meant "after I thought about having sex with her mother."

(It is a very strange way to say it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

DELETED posted:

If you don't plan on keeping the car around very long, use some of that cheap stop leak stuff from the parts store. It might work long enough to get some extra life out of it.

I can personally recommend Bar's Leaks. I had some issues in and old car a while back, and this stuff helped immensely. You just dump it in the radiator or overflow tank or wherever you put the coolant and drive around until your thermostat opens up. It sounds like your thermostat may be busted though if your temp gauge is stuck on max.