Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The Tie Defender was a great ship in the game, but it, and the missile boat always struck me as odd. They were basically sort of over the top. Like the designers were trying to one up each other. And they ended up with a Tie Fighter that has 4 lasers, ION cannons, shields, and hyperdrive, and then another ship with like five million lasers. It felt to me like the game jumping the shark, I guess, but then reading some of the EU stuff in this thread, it's not so bad.
The whole point was you were a test pilot playing with all the weird and wacky toys the empire could possibly cook up. That's how you also got to use tractor beams, and mag pulse missiles, and jamming beams and oh hey look now we have advanced missiles, go see if they blow up rebels in an advanced manner. The Empire is Nazi Germany so they have huge teams of brilliant engineers cooking up absolutely insane weapons, some of which actually work.
I mean, look at all these.

Click here for the full 1600x1096 image.

They're throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks.

In game design terms, I assume it was really hard to make a level that could be completed in an unshielded craft and was also fun. In the basic TIEs, it only takes one missile or a couple of lucky laser shots and it was over. The "Enough of this charade, Gamma 1 is the Emperor's stoolpigeon! Gamma 2 and 3, destroy Gamma 1" mission was probaly the highlight but the hard part here was just staying alive in a scenario that would be dead easy in a TIE defender. I had a lot more fun intercepting squadrons of bombers or picking turrets off capital ships than dodging every single shot coming my way in an early TIE fighter mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Yeah, the defender is what you get when some not-quite-so-rigid imperial admiral is all like "Ok look I know you guys have cooked up all sorts of advanced technologies. Take them, stuff them into a fighter, and give it shields, I want something that can fight rebel style, but better."

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this poll tax.

Does this make Hoth the Space Falklands?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Torael_7 posted:

Yeah, the defender is what you get when some not-quite-so-rigid imperial admiral is all like "Ok look I know you guys have cooked up all sorts of advanced technologies. Take them, stuff them into a fighter, and give it shields, I want something that can fight rebel style, but better."

Yeah, I didn't really have a problem with the Tie Defender having shields, but when is has a tractor beam, ION cannon, missiles, and shields, it was a bit god-mode like.

And in Tie Fighter, the ION cannon was completely broken against capitol ships anyways, so you were pretty much unstoppable. I've always wondered how a tractor beam would work in a fighter vs fighter situation. Basically the beam in Tie Fighter sort of held them still, but wouldn't it actually make them drag you around, like a dog on a leash?

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Yeah, I didn't really have a problem with the Tie Defender having shields, but when is has a tractor beam, ION cannon, missiles, and shields, it was a bit god-mode like.

And in Tie Fighter, the ION cannon was completely broken against capitol ships anyways, so you were pretty much unstoppable. I've always wondered how a tractor beam would work in a fighter vs fighter situation. Basically the beam in Tie Fighter sort of held them still, but wouldn't it actually make them drag you around, like a dog on a leash?

To be fair, the missions started getting tougher with the new ships. You often had to fight large fleets practically solo. The whole reason the Missileboat (which had a single laser, tons of missiles/bomb, and AFTERBURNER) gets developed is because a traitor has a fleet of Tie Defenders, so that's what you end up fighting.

Iirc, the tractor beam didn't drag you around. If you got on someone's six it would keep them from jinking, but if they were flying perpendicular to you it wouldn't freeze them in place or anything.

Booblord Sagat
Feb 16, 2010

by T. Finn

Derek Dominoe posted:

To be fair, the missions started getting tougher with the new ships. You often had to fight large fleets practically solo. The whole reason the Missileboat (which had a single laser, tons of missiles/bomb, and AFTERBURNER) gets developed is because a traitor has a fleet of Tie Defenders, so that's what you end up fighting.

Iirc, the tractor beam didn't drag you around. If you got on someone's six it would keep them from jinking, but if they were flying perpendicular to you it wouldn't freeze them in place or anything.

The starfighter mounted tractor beams just jammed the controls to make the ship fly on a straight-ahead course and match thrust with the ship using the beam.

Also, the dumbest missions in TIE Fighter were the ones where you had to keep people from stealing the missle boat technology. Which boils down to "How to strap a shitload of missile tubes to a loving gunboat"

I mean if you can design the B-Wing, nothing stopping you from just duct taping a few extra launchers to it and removing all the energy weapons to make room for massive torpedo/missile magazines.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Why didn't Lucas give people sideburns in the prequels, or at least fade them in throughout the episodes? Jerk.

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

feedmyleg posted:

Why didn't Lucas give people sideburns in the prequels, or at least fade them in throughout the episodes? Jerk.

Finally, this thread is back on track.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

that awful man posted:

Finally, this thread is back on track.

Ugh I mean seriously.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this poll tax.

Should have just kept the line the same and I would have laughed and laughed.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

This picture never gets old:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:StimArmor-SWGTCGAoD.jpg

I remember seeing it a while ago but I had no idea it was actually from an official Star Wars source.

Also it's kind of ridiculous how so many works after Phantom Menace came out tried to make Gungans seem 'threatening' or 'cool':

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Gungan_gangbanger_TotG.jpg

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kleef

This comic completely ruled, though:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/George_R._Binks_%28comic%29

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Anyone know how good the quality on that Supreme Darth Vader costume is? The insanely expensive $800 thing I mean.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chairman Capone posted:

This picture never gets old:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:StimArmor-SWGTCGAoD.jpg

I remember seeing it a while ago but I had no idea it was actually from an official Star Wars source.

That picture is amazing. That "card game" had pretty awesome artwork, it's a shame it was wasted on a Galaxies tie-in.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Anyone know how good the quality on that Supreme Darth Vader costume is? The insanely expensive $800 thing I mean.

Based on reviews, I hear it is worth $300 at best. The plastic pieces are cheap and the only good quality part is the robe/cloak.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Chairman Capone posted:

This comic completely ruled, though:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/George_R._Binks_%28comic%29

That is hilarious!

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

I'm a few months behind in this thread... Any of you geeks actually read the Jedi Path? Did it teach you the all of the lightsaber styles? :ironicat:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Angry Midwesterner posted:

I'm a few months behind in this thread... Any of you geeks actually read the Jedi Path? Did it teach you the all of the lightsaber styles? :ironicat:
No, I bought it just so I could slam my dick in the vault. Not really

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
I picked up the second tpb of the X-Wing comics and I'd just like to remind everyone that Wes totally tapped that goat Bothan:

e. I like that the filename on Wookiepedia is "Wes_and_female_bothan", just in case anyone were wondering whether it was a guy or a girl.

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 21, 2011

Z. Beeblebrox IV
Mar 1, 2007

by angerbot
And in retaliation, it appears that his shirt has begun attacking the creature's hand. Poor thing.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Many Bothans died for Seinfeld's pirate shirt.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Many Bothans died for Seinfeld's pirate shirt.

So what you're saying is all of Bothan society is about puffy shirt making?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Sorry to cross post, but apparently they finally managed to make some progress with that Star Wars Galaxies Emulator and have pushed out a beta server which you can actually do some progressive time wasting without your stuff being wiped. They are slowly polishing the code or whatever the gently caress so this stuff still is kinda buggy but it works.

I'll drop the Thread link if anyone is interested digging out their discs/spending ten bucks for some 2nd hand discs and joining us :).

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Admiral Goodenough posted:

I picked up the second tpb of the X-Wing comics and I'd just like to remind everyone that Wes totally tapped that goat Bothan:
Was he the one who got goaded (hoho) into dating a Bothan or am I thinking of some other character from the X-Wing novels? I remember this bit where some Bothan flirted with someone from either Rogue or Wraith squadron, called him a bigot when he appeared to reject her, and then he backpedaled and they ended up together anyway. I also remember thinking at the time that if Bothans were now officially animal-dudes instead of dudes with fur (like so), it would be pretty weird for a human to be physically attracted to any of them (and vice versa, you'd think). Back then I was still only dimly aware of the furry phenomenon, though.

EDIT: I believe this says it all.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I just read the Shadows of the Empire comic for the first time in about a decade. Yeahhh uhh... not quite as good as I remembered it being as a kid.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Gammatron 64 posted:

I just read the Shadows of the Empire comic for the first time in about a decade. Yeahhh uhh... not quite as good as I remembered it being as a kid.

The only thing I remember about SOTE is that Xizor was one creepy motherfucker who spied on Leia while she was changing or showering.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Sombrerotron posted:

Was he the one who got goaded (hoho) into dating a Bothan or am I thinking of some other character from the X-Wing novels? I remember this bit where some Bothan flirted with someone from either Rogue or Wraith squadron, called him a bigot when he appeared to reject her, and then he backpedaled and they ended up together anyway. I also remember thinking at the time that if Bothans were now officially animal-dudes instead of dudes with fur (like so), it would be pretty weird for a human to be physically attracted to any of them (and vice versa, you'd think). Back then I was still only dimly aware of the furry phenomenon, though.

EDIT: I believe this says it all.

Asyr Sei'lar first met rogue squadron on coruscant when they were infiltrating the place prior to invasion. She was hanging out with the "Alien Combine", and they kidnapped Gavin after she made aggressive advances on him and then some mind-reader said he felt relieved when he left. Clear proof that he was a bigot! But she changed her mind later at his notional trial - stormtroopers raided the place and he saved her life, something she said he never would have done if he was truly a bigot. A relationship somehow developed out of this and its mentioned in non-to-subtle terms at least once that it was certainly physical, so...yeah.

As for what they look like, other hints seem to indicate that the second picture is more accurate...one bothan derides human faces as "hideously squashed" or something which kinda hints more at animal dudes than humans with fur.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Joe Don Baker posted:

The only thing I remember about SOTE is that Xizor was one creepy motherfucker who spied on Leia while she was changing or showering.

Wasn't in the comic, thank God. He did try to seduce her with pheromones, though and they made out. :barf:

In general though the comic makes no sense and I feel like I'm missing a lot for vital information that must have been in the novel.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Gammatron 64 posted:

In general though the comic makes no sense and I feel like I'm missing a lot for vital information that must have been in the novel.

No, that sounds right. The novel was missing a lot of vital information too, like the answer to "why does this need to exist?"

Gustavus
May 27, 2008

Lock up your sons and daughters.

Slantedfloors posted:

No, that sounds right. The novel was missing a lot of vital information too, like the answer to "why does this need to exist?"

To make an awesome N64 game.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Was the smuggler guy from SOTE ever revisited? Dash Rendar or something.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Gustavus posted:

To make an awesome N64 game.

SOTE was my first non Mario related N64 game and it was awesome, then Rogue Squadron 64 happened.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

LLJKSiLk posted:

He was like in 1 issue of a comic that was a sequel to SOTE, and that's about it. He was essentially a poor man's Han Solo. It's obvious they really wanted Han, but he was frozen in carbonite, so they invented Dash Rendar.

One thing that bugs me about Star Wars is that everybody is a Jedi, a Senator, a Smuggler, or a Bounty Hunter. The number of Jedi, Smugglers and Bounty Hunters is ridiculous. Aren't there any other job descriptions in that galaxy?

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

LLJKSiLk posted:

I think he showed up once in a comic where he teamed up with Xizor's robot realdoll who didn't want to be a murderer anymore and went to a guy to erase her memory, then they used her as the template for more robots while Rendar rolled around in piles of money.

Gammatron 64 posted:

One thing that bugs me about Star Wars is that everybody is a Jedi, a Senator, a Smuggler, or a Bounty Hunter. The number of Jedi, Smugglers and Bounty Hunters is ridiculous. Aren't there any other job descriptions in that galaxy?

Now I'm hoping that Senator is a class in the new MMO.

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Feasting on the flesh of a recently killed zombie probably wasn't the smartest of moves

Gammatron 64 posted:

Is orphan a job description? There are certainly a ton of them, maybe it is a subclass or specialization of rebel though.

Z. Beeblebrox IV
Mar 1, 2007

by angerbot

Gammatron 64 posted:

Don't forget "Stormtrooper". That's the job people get when they fail at everything else.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Torael_7 posted:

As for what they look like, other hints seem to indicate that the second picture is more accurate...one bothan derides human faces as "hideously squashed" or something which kinda hints more at animal dudes than humans with fur.
Yeah, I gathered from my brief visit to Wookieepedia that the goat look has been pretty firmly established by now.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Senator, barkeeper, jizz musician.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sombrerotron posted:

Senator, barkeeper, jizz musician.

In addition Moisture Farmer, Droid Repair, Space NASCAR crew, fence, and the guy who cleans the cleaning droids.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Sombrerotron posted:

jizz musician.

That brings me great joy. I wonder how the hell they got away with that. I love it that whoever came up with the idea of a jizz musician must have been such a shut-in they had no idea what "jizz" means. And that it got approved by someone who also didn't know what it means.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

The number of Jedi, Smugglers and Bounty Hunters is ridiculous. Aren't there any other job descriptions in that galaxy?

I was just watching the OT today and thinking on how, with the prevalence of bounty hunters and smugglers, a freaking huge percentage of the galaxy's economy must be tied up in illegal activity. I guess you could argue in the time of the OT it's due to so many people being opposed to the Empire they turn to underground economic actors, but that doesn't explain every other era.

Seriously just how many bounties are there in the Star Wars Galaxy where bounty hunting can be such a main stream, profitable job? I can make myself understand smuggling being so widespread, but bounty hunting is just so weird.

Gammatron 64 posted:

That brings me great joy. I wonder how the hell they got away with that. I love it that whoever came up with the idea of a jizz musician must have been such a shut-in they had no idea what "jizz" means. And that it got approved by someone who also didn't know what it means.

The weird thing is that when Daniel Keys Moran was writing his Jabba's palace story he wanted to change 'jizz' to something else and explained why but Lucasfilm still forced him to keep the term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Chairman Capone posted:

The weird thing is that when Daniel Keys Moran was writing his Jabba's palace story he wanted to change 'jizz' to something else and explained why but Lucasfilm still forced him to keep the term.

Jizz: Lucas is taking it back.