Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The Aphasian posted:

Is this a regional turn of phrase, or would anyone else think this is a strange way to say it?
It's definitely not strictly regional, 'cause I know I've heard and even said it and I'm not even from the same hemisphere as Smith. It's not common, but it's not especially rare either, in my experience. It's just poorly thought through, lips overtaking brain stuff is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

The Aphasian posted:

I just spent 10 minutes searching the internet to see when Kevin Smith's daughter died because I misunderstood something he said on the Nerdist podcast. Referencing when he saw a movie he said "it was when my kid was alive". I took that to mean she had passed away, but apparently he meant "after she was born".

Is this a regional turn of phrase, or would anyone else think this is a strange way to say it?

It sounds to me like he just meant "Well let's see, the kid existed at the time, so it must have been after year such and such." It's a bit of an awkward way to say it, yeah, but I can see how it'd work. I don't really see how his religion would have anything to do with it :confused:

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Very Strange Things posted:

Smith is a very conservative born-again fundamentalist Christian now though, so he might have actually meant "after I thought about having sex with her mother."

(It is a very strange way to say it.)
If he said this after being born-again, it means she didn't follow him into Christian fundamentalism. Or if she did follow him, she fell away. In either case, she's dead to him now. Of course, as noted above, his comment may not have anything to do with his faith, in which case I'd say it's a weird comment to make.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

WillieWestwood posted:

If he said this after being born-again, it means she didn't follow him into Christian fundamentalism. Or if she did follow him, she fell away. In either case, she's dead to him now. Of course, as noted above, his comment may not have anything to do with his faith, in which case I'd say it's a weird comment to make.

I'm not even sure where they're getting that he's a born-again fundamentalist. He's always been upfront about the fact that he's Catholic, but only goes to mass before a movie opening or some such. And his newest movie is a horror flick with Christian fundamentalists as the villains, so... yeah.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Very Strange Things posted:

Smith is a very conservative born-again fundamentalist Christian now though, so he might have actually meant "after I thought about having sex with her mother."

:hfive:

Melicious posted:

I'm not even sure where they're getting that he's a born-again fundamentalist.

He's making a joke about when Fundamentalists believe life begins (the whole "when does a fetus become a person?" thing).

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

how do I turn off the virtual keyboard/math input panel in woindows 7 I keep pressing alt in photoshop to use the clone tool but it makes the virtual keyboard take priorty over the window I have open. When i close the virtual keyboard it just slides to the left

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

Wyatt posted:

:hfive:

He's making a joke about when Fundamentalists believe life begins (the whole "when does a fetus become a person?" thing).

No poo poo man, I get the joke, but it still doesn't explain why he thinks Smith is born-again or fundamentalist.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.
Right. I see that now.

Wyatt fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 21, 2011

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!
I think it was meant to be a joke, albeit oddly placed and dryly delivered.

Pizer
Aug 8, 2004
Is there an easy way to map capslock to backspace in windows 7?

I feel like in the Year of Our Lord 2011 this should be an easy task, but googling gives some registry hacks [which dont seem to work on 7] and some 3.5kb executables which hijack capslock and replace it with backspace. that doesns't seem trustworthy.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
Use KeyTweak.
http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/
The .PDF will tell you how to use it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pizer posted:

Is there an easy way to map capslock to backspace in windows 7?

I feel like in the Year of Our Lord 2011 this should be an easy task, but googling gives some registry hacks [which dont seem to work on 7] and some 3.5kb executables which hijack capslock and replace it with backspace. that doesns't seem trustworthy.

Use this application from Microsoft http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb964665

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

stubblyhead posted:

I can personally recommend Bar's Leaks. I had some issues in and old car a while back, and this stuff helped immensely. You just dump it in the radiator or overflow tank or wherever you put the coolant and drive around until your thermostat opens up. It sounds like your thermostat may be busted though if your temp gauge is stuck on max.

That stuff can gum up the wrong way and block or severely restrict coolant flow. It may plug up leaks, or it might block up coolant jackets and exacerbate your problems. I'd just keep an eye on things, especially the engine temp, to make it last through April.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
This is an extremely stupid question, but does anyone remember a cartoon (one that's at least 10 years old) that at any point had a bottle opener appear on the show that looked like this?

Click here for the full 800x800 image.

For some reason I have this extremely vivid memory of this bottle opener, no idea why, but it's been bugging me for years. I can't remember where it's from or why I remember it so well. I want to say it was something like Goof Troop or Duck Tales.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

kimbo305 posted:

That stuff can gum up the wrong way and block or severely restrict coolant flow. It may plug up leaks, or it might block up coolant jackets and exacerbate your problems. I'd just keep an eye on things, especially the engine temp, to make it last through April.

Seconding this on both sides. I have had it stop a car dead, and I have had it fix a car up.

Either way, it should be more thought of a 'I'll try this before I give the car to a charity' rather than a 'This is the way to fix the car I depend on for transportation' thing.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Is there any rationale or logic behind the 140-character limit on Twitter? Why not 150 or 200? I'm just wondering if there was some deep thought put into it or some strange algorithm to determine the limit. Is it related to cellphones or smartphones in any way?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Dudebro posted:

Is there any rationale or logic behind the 140-character limit on Twitter? Why not 150 or 200? I'm just wondering if there was some deep thought put into it or some strange algorithm to determine the limit. Is it related to cellphones or smartphones in any way?

Yup. It's the character limit for SMS texts.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Dudebro posted:

Yes, cell phone texts are limited to 140 characters, and Twitter was originally designed to send tweets as text messages.

efb by seconds

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Hmm, but when I type into google "character limit for text messages", 160 comes up, not 140.

e: Oh, there's a 20 character reserve in some situations or something, for usernames and sender names.

Dudebro fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 21, 2011

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dudebro posted:

Hmm, but when I type into google "character limit for text messages", 160 comes up, not 140.

http://www.140characters.com/2009/01/30/how-twitter-was-born/

quote:

They settled on 140, in order to leave room for the username and the colon in front of the message.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Hmm, thanks for that.

I have another question about domain names. I bought a domain name, but then I checked the url in a browser and I was able to go to a parking site with the same url. Is this normal?

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
Why isn't the word "come" pronounced like the word "home"? I know the English language has its oddities; is this just another one of them?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dudebro posted:

Hmm, thanks for that.

I have another question about domain names. I bought a domain name, but then I checked the url in a browser and I was able to go to a parking site with the same url. Is this normal?

Nearly every registrar will point the domain to their own parking service until your change the DNS.

Parking pages is a large source of revenue for many of them.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
How much of the US is GSM850 only? If I have an EGSM900/GSM1800/1900 phone will there be chunks of the US where I have no signal?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sad Panda posted:

How much of the US is GSM850 only?

None, that I can recall at any rate. You're fairly likely to have trouble with 3G data in some regions though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

silversiren posted:

Why isn't the word "come" pronounced like the word "home"? I know the English language has its oddities; is this just another one of them?

Why isn't 'home' pronounced like 'some'? English is pretty bad as far as orthography representing sound; just par for the course with come.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

kimbo305 posted:

Why isn't 'home' pronounced like 'some'? English is pretty bad as far as orthography representing sound; just par for the course with come.

In phonetics home is more 'correct'. Silent e makes the vowel before it long such as in words like rope, home and hope. Some and come don't follow that rule making them the exceptions.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Sad Panda posted:

In phonetics home is more 'correct'.

English spelling and phonetics are unrelated.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
Also, when you try a few sentences with "come" in the middle the word ends up sounding really abbreviated "comb".

Someone PM that really interesting professional linguistics guy with the medical diagram of the mouth and throat as an avatar. I forget his name but he had a good A/T thread about this stuff for a while.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

silversiren posted:

"Come" in Old English used to be "cuman", i.e. spelled with a u not an o, just like "some" used to be "sum." "Home" was "ham" in OE. As for why they're all spelled like they should rhyme now, I don't know, but I assume it's because English spelling is loving retarded.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

John Q Russia posted:

Also, when you try a few sentences with "come" in the middle the word ends up sounding really abbreviated "comb".
I've never heard the o in come drift toward a long o in the middle of a sentence. I guess in an American Southern accent it's slightly longer than in neutral.

quote:

Someone PM that really interesting professional linguistics guy with the medical diagram of the mouth and throat as an avatar. I forget his name but he had a good A/T thread about this stuff for a while.
It's FoiledAgain. There's also the linguistics thread linked in the OP that he posts in:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2693946

darkbob87
Jan 20, 2006
I moved to California and I need to register my car here...

1) Do I get a smog check before or after registration?

2) Do I need a California license to register my car in this state? Or is it okay as long as my out of state license is still valid?

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Anyone know what a Vendor Management Team would do in a bank? I have an applicant giving this as the title of their current job and I have no idea what it entails.

Edit: this is an Internet/call centre bank, not one with high street branches.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

darkbob87 posted:

I moved to California and I need to register my car here...

1) Do I get a smog check before or after registration?

2) Do I need a California license to register my car in this state? Or is it okay as long as my out of state license is still valid?

I'm not trying to LMGTFY you, but there are quite a few variables depending on your situation, but try here: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/vr.htm

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

hayden. posted:

This is an extremely stupid question, but does anyone remember a cartoon (one that's at least 10 years old) that at any point had a bottle opener appear on the show that looked like this?

Click here for the full 800x800 image.

For some reason I have this extremely vivid memory of this bottle opener, no idea why, but it's been bugging me for years. I can't remember where it's from or why I remember it so well. I want to say it was something like Goof Troop or Duck Tales.

Too vague, unfortunately. Corkscrews are used pretty frequently in cartoons.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

I'm not trying to LMGTFY you, but there are quite a few variables depending on your situation, but try here: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/vr.htm

From elsewhere on this site:

quote:

If you become a California resident, you must get a California driver license within 10 days. Residency is established by voting in a California election, paying resident tuition, filing for a homeowner’s property tax exemption, or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents.

It sounds like you are considering yourself a resident of California now, so you should probably get yourself a new license anyway.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

A girl in a class of mine banged her knee on the desk so hard that she fainted. Why did she faint?

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

935 posted:

A girl in a class of mine banged her knee on the desk so hard that she fainted. Why did she faint?

Sudden severe pain = drop in blood pressure = fainting

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

stubblyhead posted:

It sounds like you are considering yourself a resident of California now, so you should probably get yourself a new license anyway.

Oh yeah, and I can tell you from experience, they that that poo poo seriously. I got pulled over for crossing a double solid yellow. Got a ticket for not having in-state license, fines + costs + whatever, totalled over $450. (But on the plus side, the cop didn't cite me for crossing the double solid.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a fellow creative
Sep 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh
What does it mean when a boy stares at you for more than 5 seconds?

Yeah, it's a stupid question, but in one of those teen magazines it said that if a boy stares at you for more than 5 seconds it mean he likes you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)