Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
Mitchell's pretty much carrying the whole thing at the moment. Probably because he's had the most screen time, but those things don't happen by accident.

Also yeah, lets not have another WNN segment please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luvd_
Nov 4, 2006

by T. Finn

Starno posted:

That Dick Donnolly bit was loving cringey.

Agree with this. Also I'm not sure the audience is working but the unofficial election coverage was fantastic so I've still got hope that this will get better as they get used to it.

Mitchell is doing well but is clearly nervous as gently caress. Carr is as chilled as ever. Everything seems a bit rushed though.

N3RDSTER posted:

Mitchell's pretty much carrying the whole thing at the moment. Probably because he's had the most screen time, but those things don't happen by accident.

Also yeah, lets not have another WNN segment please.

He's the only one that people dont feel intimidated by which helps enormously. I think people are worried they're being laughed at by Brooker/Carr.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Too many. segments which. mean they. don't have. time to. be anything. but superficial.

Yup :(

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Mitchell is in his absolute element, more please.

I would say Brooker needs more live air time, but he's so good with a bit of editing that maybe it would be better to keep him for the video bits. Actually he just had a length of air time and was brilliant in his own manic way.

Carr is really oddly nervous for someone who is a stand up comic, give it a couple of episodes and he'll be fine I'm sure.

Laverne, as expected, can gently caress off. Replace her with Dara Ó Briain.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This Brooker segment is making the entire thing worthwhile

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Metrication posted:

My verdict so far is that some of it has worked and then the rest is awful (particularly Carr and Laverne's bits). Also the improv bits are the best so far I think.

It's going to take it's time to find it's feet, probably longer than this first season. I just hope C4 is prepared to stick by this through it's teething pains unlike the Beeb its The Late Edition.
Britain could really do with a Daily Show and this seems like the best bet if it can pull itself together.

fakeedit: Oh yay, Newswipe!

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

How many episode in this run?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Junkenstein posted:

davebees
Feb 18, 2009

Junkenstein posted:

I think Lauren Laverne said fifteen at the start.

e:f,b

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Fifteen.

Hopefully in that time they'll fix the format and get rid of the skits or at least write them better (I think they have potential.)

I'm not so sure they should add more improv though. None of these guys seem informed on enough current affairs. They have just enough to get by fairly smoothly right now but any more would probably stretch them too far.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Willets reminds me of Percy/Darling from Blackadder.

Psybro
May 12, 2002
Brooker looks so much like the Wrong Conan O'Brien.

luvd_
Nov 4, 2006

by T. Finn
Laverne is acting like a presenter/eye candy while the clever people talk..

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Lauren Laverne reminds me of my mum, in that she likes to talk about the news and politics, but doesn't really understand what she's talking about and thinks parroting opinions shes heard on television/read in the paper makes her terribly clever.

davebees
Feb 18, 2009
Anyone else picturing this Alan Johnson the whole time?

Anyway that was largely middling with the exception of Brooker and maybe Mitchell. Audience were a bit poo poo.

davebees fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 21, 2011

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Taking a swipe at the Daily Mail redeems everything else that might have been below par.

luvd_
Nov 4, 2006

by T. Finn

Starno posted:

Anyone else picturing this Alan Johnson the whole time?

Hahah.

Mixed feelings overall. Will still watch next week but I do feel a little disappointed.

Would almost rather it was just Carr, Mitchell and Brooker around a table with no audience and a mix of interviews and satire.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Well that was a thing. I hope they take a look at what works and what doesn't and cut down on the ADD-ness. It's not like the Daily Show was perfected right out the blocks.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
Laverne might not be providing much in the way of humour or insight but she does seem to have a role at least. In a show populated by comics you need someone to act as the straight man just to keep things moving sometimes.

Just don't let her do that skit again.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

luvd posted:

Laverne is acting like a presenter/eye candy while the clever people talk..

That's a bit harsh but she does seem to only be tasked with making sure they hit the ad breaks.

I dunno. It had it's niggles but this show has a lot of potential.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
That was the best new thing on TV for ages.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Thought this was quite funny http://twitpic.com/3ru6l2

I will watch next week. If they can hammer down the format this could be a great show.

Metrication fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 21, 2011

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It was decent but please no more WNN skits ever again.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Really it should be the Brooker and Mitchell Show. The WNN skit was like a bad Frankie Boyle sketch.

luvd_
Nov 4, 2006

by T. Finn

Brown Moses posted:

Really it should be the Brooker and Mitchell Show. The WNN skit was like a bad Frankie Boyle sketch.

Not getting the Carr hate.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Shaky start, and the audience didn't help either; everyone involved seemed as though they were going 'poo poo this is really happening'. Mitchell, Carr and Brooker were razor-sharp as usual (THEY'RE NOT WEARING THE RIGHT COSTUMES), though, and Laverne could work well as the straight man, tying the separate segments together.

Give it a few more shows so they can find their feet and get a sense of flow & timing for the ad breaks, and then we'll see.

And no more WNN; that was weirdly crap, even for C4. Dare I hope for a sort-of-left-ish-non-blokey Top Gear, though?

spincube fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 21, 2011

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
Call me immature but loving the swearing. More people need to be called cunts on prime timetv.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Graviton v2 posted:

Call me immature but loving the swearing. More people need to be called cunts on prime timetv.

Nah, I'm liking that to. I'm so used to the bleeping on the Daily Show for nearly every swearword it actually caught me off guard that they did that.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
WNN! was poo poo and Holiday Hotspots was kind of lame. Mitchell's debate around the table with the ex-banker and the other folk was far, far too short considering the number of people actually involved. The highlight for me was definitely Brooker's Newswipe style spiel about Tunisia (line flubbing aside). Everything else was pretty decent.

Hopefully they'll be able to distill it down to just the things that worked over the next fifteen weeks, but I could see a lack of willingness to drop pre-recorded material loving that up a bit.

Oh, and the audience needs to shut the gently caress up. Laughing is fine, but going WOOOOOOOO in the middle of a Serious Conversation is not only kind of retarded but actually wastes a fair bit of time, which they already have precious little of.

luvd posted:

Not getting the Carr hate.
I like Carr, but I definitely think that Mitchell and Brooker could carry a show like this between the two of them. Mitchell's definitely a lot better at reading off an autocue than when he was hosting The Bubble too, so that's nice.

luvd_
Nov 4, 2006

by T. Finn
Not sure what it says about me it didn't even register that it was a big deal that he said oval office until you mentioned it.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
There needs to be more swearing in tv. They say swearing isn't big or clever but they're wrong. Mindless swearing isn't big or clever, but specially placed swear words are loving hilarious.

Oh, and I just realised Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is on C4 at 00:10. Why is this on so late? They should've bumped that Locationx3 and Roman Villa poo poo and had it on at 8pm. I might have to risk missing my first class tomorrow to watch it.

Melche
Apr 29, 2009
Well I've gotta say, I thought that was really poo poo.

Shame because I like most of the people, but it didn't really work. And honestly I don't know why they thought it would - interviews about big issues by people who have no special knowledge about those issues or skill at doing interviews. Ian Hislop or someone could do it, but why did they think Mitchell and Carr could? He could barely keep that interview in line without everyone talking over each other, let alone make anything funny out of it. I mean, interviewing's a real skill, live interviewing doubly so, I dunno why they thought they could magically do it.

So what about the graduate tax?
*looks a bit suprised when he gives a pretty reasonable answer*
*audience applauds for no reason*

Which bit did they think would be funny?

FractionMan
Dec 24, 2003

Bringing back the balls to Rock
The random cuts to the audience were rather terrible, they'd have an uproar of laughter then show a few people smiling and staring at one another in a state of confusion. Doesn't really sell the premise.

The show itself has me thinking like many others have said; some great bits dotted around some really quite annoying or just unfunny pandering. More table talks and less stupid skits.
I hope it finds it's feet very soon, but I'll be watching the next few weeks regardless.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
1. No more WNN
2. Too many segments (or the show isn't long enough) I was frustrated by the constant "and we've run out of time for this bit, sorry"
3. The contrast between the serious interview bits and the comedy bits clashes pretty badly.
4. David Mitchell could be amazing but he desperately needs to learn how to conduct an interview. It's not that he was bad but he could be so much better.
5. Brooker isn't good at riffing, I want him to be better at it because I know he is funny and has good stuff to say but he's just not that good at it.
6. Why is Laren even there? She's not playing "the straight man" as someone said earlier because she's trying to be funny, but its like watching a young child thinking they are acting like an adult, it's sort of endearing to watch them try and play a grown up, but funny it ain't.
7. Debates aren't conducted by everyone saying "I think that" while ignoring the previous point. That's not a debate, its a series of speeches. Since they're all strong comedians in their own right you can expect this sort of thing as they all want to make their joke and get a laugh and they're used to being the center of attention. But there's not a lot of meat to chew on.

I liked it though, it was a first attempt and I have a lot of hope for it in the future.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
So, would you guys recommend that I watch it, or just wait til its on again next week?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

The Perfect Element posted:

So, would you guys recommend that I watch it, or just wait til its on again next week?

Yeah i'd say watch it. There were pretty poor bits of it, but there were also some great bits from David Mitchell and Charlie Brooker. If you have even a passing interest in one of those two you will like some of it.

To be fair it's better than a lot of things on at the moment.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

The Perfect Element posted:

It really did veer wildly from very funny to almost painful. Watch it for David Mitchell / Charlie Brooker's rants, the ensemble bits around the table and some of Jimmy Carr's stuff too. Turn it off or mute it or suffer through the excruciating news channel parody / holiday in Tunisia sketches (although the latter wasn't as bad as the former).

As other people here are rightly saying, it's only the first show so it will probably take a few episodes for them to get the formula just right and relax into their roles.

Daedo
May 5, 2002
It's taking aaaaaaages for it to go up on 4OD.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Anyone else been watching Human Planet on BBC? It's fantastic: the cinematography of a nature documentary with amazing human stories. I love how it reinforces that no matter how much peoples and cultures differ across the world and in spite of whatever hardships the world has to offer we're all one clever, adaptable, competitive, funny and amazing species. There's almost no patronising cultural tourism "look at what the natives are up to" feel to it and some absolutely fascinating stories being told in breathtaking parts of the world.

Episode 1 (Oceans) is still up on iplayer, and Episode 2 (Deserts) just went up today, so Episode 1 may not be around for long.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

DaWolfey posted:

I liked it though, it was a first attempt and I have a lot of hope for it in the future.

Im sorry but this show is such a hot mess. You cant have 4 coequal anchors each spouting an editorial.

Replicate the Daily Show format. Have Brooker play John Stewart, Mitchell be John Oliver, Laverne Samantha Bee and Jimmy Carr (who needs to nuke his act) as Jason Jones.

Get the material down to half an hour with 1 interview maximum. Shoot in a smaller studio/warehouse and have more episodes per week. All they are going to do otherwise is burn out the talent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The Daily Show is poo poo though. This was, at least, interesting.