Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The Daily Show is biting satire pretending to be harmless comedy.

10 O'Clock Live is harmless comedy pretending to be biting satire.

Best exemplified by the opening segment, in which Jimmy Carr talks about the issues of the week, complete with amusing pictures and captions (except on the other side of the screen and without the Daily Show's bodged-together charm)...but then does a bunch of HIGNFY-guest-comedian-one-liners. There's no attempt to point out anything interesting about Johnson's resignation or Balls's appointments, just a dick joke.

It's such a ridiculous miscalculation. There's virtually no actual satire going on. Ian Hislop's definition, "the exposure of vice, folly and humbug", is as good as any, and it took fully 25 minutes for Listen to Mitchell to do some actual satire (he does a very good British version of Lewis Black). And then along came the next segment, which was just four people in the pub at about pint two and a half, putting the world to rights. And then Brooker did some more just-about sub-Newswipe satire at 32 minutes, and that's yer lot. I also hope that they'll find their feet as the run goes on, but right now this is less the Daily Show and more the Half-Hour News Hour, which fell down exactly the same pit.

Melche posted:

And honestly I don't know why they thought it would - interviews about big issues by people who have no special knowledge about those issues or skill at doing interviews. Ian Hislop or someone could do it, but why did they think Mitchell and Carr could? He could barely keep that interview in line without everyone talking over each other, let alone make anything funny out of it. I mean, interviewing's a real skill, live interviewing doubly so, I dunno why they thought they could magically do it.

It seems they've seen Jon Stewart interviewing politicians and said "okay, let's interview politicians". They've completely missed the point by trying to have a comedian do it po-faced and serious and just like every other interview Willets has ever done. That's exactly the opposite way to how Stewart does it; his challenge to a political interviewee is "ok, I know you can do an interview, but can you do an interview and be funny?" Being funny is his home field, it's playing to the major advantage he has over his interviewee. How they think a comedian is going to stand any chance against a politician on the politician's own home ground is utterly beyond me. It reminds me of Donny Tourette having a pop at Bill Bailey on Buzzcocks and getting told by Amstell "I should explain: Bill is a professional comedian. You won't win!"

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

The Daily Show is poo poo though. This was, at least, interesting.

I agree that the Daily Show is tired. I attribute that to their success and the fact that none of their correspondents can trick the yokels they did segments about.

This show might be interesting if youve never read or seen Mitchell, Brooker and Carr's other material. Its really a direct transcription with a studio audience (why?).

Trin Tragula posted:

There's no attempt to point out anything interesting about Johnson's resignation or Balls's appointments, just a dick joke.

Well thats what you get with Jimmy Carr. A true A-list comedian wouldve evolved his act at least after the 2nd DVD.

MoPZiG fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jan 21, 2011

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I think a lot of you have pointed out a lot of the preliminary flaws with 10 o'clock live but here's a few more:

There's absolutely no reason this show needs to be live. It puts unneccesary pressure on the comedians and mucks with the pacing. Tape it the night before or on the day.

Scheduling it opposite Question Time and Newsnight is ballsy but is it wise?

The set looks like a Saturday morning kids show from 10 years ago. Where's the faux professional set from the adverts?

More interviews and chats, less 'bits'.

They need to structure the show more around the comdians' strengths. Keep Carr to the headlines/punchlines stuff, keep Mitchell for interviews and debates, let Brooker rant and use Laverne to link between segments.

They should bring in bring in guest comedians who have satirical backgrounds such as Andy Zaltzman, Marcus Brigstocke etc. who are used to riffing on current events. It would be brilliant if they could get someone to represent the Conservative viewpoint. All British comedy is very left wing at the moment, we need somoene from the other side even if it's in a Colbert style pastiche.

reality_groove fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jan 21, 2011

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!
I know everyone has already said this before, but good grief 10 O'Clock Live is loving terrible.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Alan BStard posted:

I know everyone has already said this before, but good grief 10 O'Clock Live is loving terrible.
I just completly disagree, I thought it had some problems but its easily the best new thing on tv. Maybe its cos I was half cut or something but I watched and enjoyed the whole thing which is a rarity for standard tv these days.

It was probably a bit long at an hour. 45 mins would have been better.

John_Anon_Smith
Nov 26, 2007
:smug:

reality_groove posted:

They should bring in bring in guest comedians who have satirical backgrounds such as Andy Zaltzman, Marcus Brigstocke etc. who are used to riffing on current events. It would be brilliant if they could get someone to represent the Conservative viewpoint. All British comedy is very left wing at the moment, we need somoene from the other side even if it's in a Colbert style pastiche.

Hang on a minute while I phone up Richard Littlejohn for a spot, you absolute wanker.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Alan BStard posted:

Was it... was it the part where they called the Daily Mail poo poo ? Was it that which upset you ?

Tardstar
Feb 25, 2010

by Ozmaugh

MoPZiG posted:

I agree that the Daily Show is tired. I attribute that to their success and the fact that none of their correspondents can trick the yokels they did segments about.

This show might be interesting if youve never read or seen Mitchell, Brooker and Carr's other material. Its really a direct transcription with a studio audience (why?).

Well thats what you get with Jimmy Carr. A true A-list comedian wouldve evolved his act at least after the 2nd DVD.

What is a true A-list comedian other than something vague that means "someone I like more than jimmy carr"?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

reality_groove posted:

I think a lot of you have pointed out a lot of the preliminary flaws with 10 o'clock live but here's a few more:

There's absolutely no reason this show needs to be live. It puts unneccesary pressure on the comedians and mucks with the pacing. Tape it the night before or on the day.

Scheduling it opposite Question Time and Newsnight is ballsy but is it wise?

The set looks like a Saturday morning kids show from 10 years ago. Where's the faux professional set from the adverts?

More interviews and chats, less 'bits'.

They need to structure the show more around the comdians' strengths. Keep Carr to the headlines/punchlines stuff, keep Mitchell for interviews and debates, let Brooker rant and use Laverne to link between segments.

I thought that the set was pretty odd considering they trailer as well. I was expecting something like The Day Today or Brass Eye.

Metrication fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jan 21, 2011

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Was it... was it the part where they called the Daily Mail poo poo ? Was it that which upset you ?

It was the part where it was a good idea that was horribly implemented, which is what everyone else is saying as well!

However one thing I am going to mention that no-one else did, the jazzy band music that is the theme/music they play between segments, sounds just like the kind of crap Americans have on their late night talk shows.

In fact the whole thing kind of felt like those annoying bits at the start of those shows where they have a monologue, except this was a whole show full of it. Even Americans don't like those.

Get rid of the studio audience, tape it, and get rid of the stupid lovely segments and you'll be on to a winner. I think people would have enjoyed the interviews and debates a bit more, if they were able to last longer than two minutes before we got another "hilarious" bit to camera.

To me the problem with the studio audience is that you have the four of them talking to the camera, and making jokes, except instead of talking directly to you, they seem to often be looking over their shoulder to see how the audience is reacting to it. It just makes it feel "off". I wonder why they put the audience behind them, perhaps something to show off that it is live.

I don't see why it being live is such a big deal, it isn't like this is new technology, and nothing is gained from it except Charlie Brooker might piss himself again.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

That was one of the parts that bugged me. Not cause I disagree but cause it's too easy. Yeah it's true but it's not, y'know, funny.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What comedian could they possibly dig up to (unironically) argue a conservative standpoint?

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Beeswax posted:

What comedian could they possibly dig up to (unironically) argue a conservative standpoint?
Boris Johnson?

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
Ian Hislop.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Also a couple of other things whilst I'm at it. Every time someone said something, they woop and jeered like on the Daily Show, I understand in America everyone thinks it is amazingly ballsy to say anything remotely bad about the government but over here it is expected.

Plus when it would cut to the audience it felt very full of students, and other people in their twenties. Now I don't mind that myself being a twenty-something student but it does make the show feel very insular and appealing only to a minority of people.

I can understand why they might want a show like that, but to have it so heavily advertised, and to put it head to head with current affairs big-hitters on other channels it just seemed to me that Channel 4 wanted something a bit different. Perhaps I'm wrong, but one of the main problems with 10 O'Clock live is that I don't know what it is supposed to be doing. As people have mentioned earlier, I was under the impression it was going to be similar to The Day Today etc. now I've seen it I know it wasn't, but I don't know what it was actually trying to do at all.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I haven't seen it yet, but its still early days. I think Channel 4 will give them some time to settle in and sort out the problems.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Raeg posted:

Ian Hislop.

I'm really not sure about that, maybe "little 'c'" conservative, but I'm pretty sure he said he doesn't vote, and he seems to have as much disdain for the Tories as anyone.

And we've all thought of the joke about him being a "little c" thank you.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
I vaguely remember him suggesting he voted Lib Dem or would vote at one point.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

That's the problem, when you watch HIGNFY and Mock the Week and listen to The News Quiz and The Now Show and whatever other topical stuff is around you hear the same jokes made about the same targets and it's all quite liberal.

I don't know if there is a solution, maybe it's just the angle I'm looking at things. It's like how every comedian seems to be aetheistic and making jokes about the catholic church but no-one's making jokes about atheists.

Perhaps my idea of comedy harmony is a pipedream.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I don't care what changes they make as long as Barry Shitpeas makes an appearance.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

reality_groove posted:

It's like how every comedian seems to be aetheistic and making jokes about the catholic church but no-one's making jokes about atheists.

What jokes could you make about atheists? There's way more fodder against the catholic church.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

So taking the piss out of lying, thieving, scumbag fuckhead politicians is "liberal bias" now? Too much yank retardation seeping into this thread.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If they wanted a left wing bias it would be joint hosted by Jeremy Hardy and Mark Steel.

Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Help! A guinea pig tricked me.
Charlie Brooker just tweeted about another new show

@charltonbrooker posted:

Citizens: I've got another new show starting next week. Tues ,10pm, BBC2 (Weds for Scot and N.I.) : http://bit.ly/hxJWnW

Looks pretty good, aslong as it is a few of those skits and not drawn out for too long!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
One of the things i felt last night was that it went by far too quickly and seemed to try and cover far too many things in one sitting.

Seeing as the current news media seems to focus on only three or 4 things per week, i think that's what this show should do too.

Each quarter of the show should focus on one news story only, giving 10 or however many minutes it is, to the topic in the form of a pre-recorded accurate depiction of events (with scathing cinicism) or an interview with a figure involved with it.

Seeing as the show is weekly, perhaps it could wrap up with a "here's the other news you haven't been told about this week" section. Where it [dramatic intro to news headlines style] runs through all the stuff going on in the world that the current news isn't even bothering to report on.

Ideally the show should be on at least twice a week in order to let it cover more material or at least give more time to the current stuff in order to adequately discuss it.

It should also drop the generic "topical segments" like Sarah Palin and instead focus on things that are currently happening that week. The show, after all, is live for a reason.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
The reason that comedy and satire is more left wingers taking the piss out of right wingers is because they do more stupid poo poo, it seems. They're worth taking the piss out of. And they get so uptight about it that it's fun to do.

Also, "left wing bias" seems to be code for "doing your job properly" - especially when used as a criticism against news organisations.

Getting too close to something people don't want you to know? You're left wing biased!

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
Anyone watching 'Perfection' on BBC2?

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
I just watched 10 O'Clock Live. Three word review: Bucket of piss.

It was exactly the sort of poo poo-balloon that Charlie Brooker would rip into on one of his shows.

Shame on them all.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
I was looking forward to Episodes and 10 O'Clock live.

Both were poo poo, the former moreso. I have hope for one of them, and it isn't the one with Matt LeBlanc in it.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I actually kind of like Episodes. It's not especially funny but it's not unfunny either and it's quite watchable. I think someone else in here said it's kind of more like a light drama, idk if that's what they were going for but I can certainly see it that way.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
Dont really see what "episodes" did/is doing to provoke such hostile reactions its been getting, its not terrible and its above mediocre. It seems as though its portraying the fine line between "ahahahaha are they serious?....oh my god they are serious:(!?" in the world of pitching tv series quite well.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I admit I turned off Episodes about ten minutes in. There was nothing wrong with the premise, and I can't fault the casting - I like Mangan/Grieg/LeBlanc - but my GOD were the jokes obvious. It was downright baffling, the way they set up a premise and started hammering it home from the first goddamn scene and what then followed was a long list of EXACTLY the jokes you had been primed to expect, delivered in a thoroughly unexciting manner. It did absolutely nothing for me.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

LE0N posted:

Dont really see what "episodes" did/is doing to provoke such hostile reactions its been getting, its not terrible and its above mediocre.
I think it's probably because it's listed as a comedy but isn't really very funny. A bit like whites (which was like a sitcom with just the situation in my opinion).

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I really wanted to like Whites, and initially - I did. But the goddamn milquetoast chef that everything centered around was such an unlikable pushover that I ended up not watching entirely because of him. Shame really, a lot of it was solid stuff.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Whites had a lot of decent comedy actors but failed to use them properly. The characters were all so unlikable as well, but not in a good way like Nathan Barley. I don't think I laughed once through the entire series.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Nearly done watching the 10 o'clock show. I don't think it's as terrible as some of you were making out. The music is terrible, the pacing is really poor, but the fundamental concept is there. The biggest problem seemed to me to be the lack of a "real" satirist. There's nobody there who could go toe to toe with a major politician and pull apart everything they say without breaking a sweat or saying anything stupid along the way.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Wayne Brady was on Fast and Loose tonight!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00xxp6t/Fast_and_Loose_Episode_2/

This episode was actually much better than the first. Check it out.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Just got round to watching 10 o'clock live, found it to be really forced and clunky. The entire thing felt like I was watching an unaired pilot. David Mitchell can do a good rant but as an interviewer he rolls over faster than Kirsty Walk at the Labour party conference. Brooker's pre-recorded segment was decent but he is incredibly uncomfortable live, and Carr is good at one-liners and gently caress all else. Lauren Laverne seems rather out of her depth with the subject matter and the sketch that they made her do was incredibly cringe worthy. It wasn't great satire by any stretch, but at least it was on TV at all, maybe it will improve over the next few weeks.

Psybro
May 12, 2002

reality_groove posted:

I don't know if there is a solution, maybe it's just the angle I'm looking at things. It's like how every comedian seems to be aetheistic and making jokes about the catholic church but no-one's making jokes about atheists.

When I was at the Edinburgh Fringe I saw Stewart Lee and Simon Munnery both ripping the piss out of Richard Dawkins. I think I may have seen somebody else do it too.

quote:

All British comedy is very left wing at the moment, we need somoene from the other side even if it's in a Colbert style pastiche.

This is actually kind of correct, in so far as they need somebody to reiterate the talking points of the coalition, but taking them to their logical extremes. Mitchell does a little bit of this, but the whole point of satire as comedy is to take a real observation and stretch it well beyond the bounds of credibility, cf. how the Day Today was the greatest satirical programme ever and is now virtually indistinguishable from Sky News.

You could make Labour and the Lib Dems equally ludicrous by simply pointing out how milquetoast and crap they are by looking at what they have actually said and done.

I was in California in December and Colbert did a section about reparations for racial discrimination called The Great White Wail. It almost had me in tears, but unfortunately for some loving reason Comedy Central UK saw fit to drop Colbert, and although it's on Google you can't watch it from the UK. He basically repeats back what a Congressman said on the issue, takes up the argument passionately, and takes it to the point where white people should get reparations for being the victims of being accused of victimising other races. It was brilliant.

Jimmy Carr doing dick jokes and Laverne doing...something just can't match up to it. They've missed the point. I'd say they should take the muzzle off David Mitchell, but if you did that I think he'd just stare at you and look a bit sad.

Kin posted:

It should also drop the generic "topical segments" like Sarah Palin and instead focus on things that are currently happening that week. The show, after all, is live for a reason.

Sarah Palin did basically kill some people in the fortnight prior to the show, it'll probably get more topical as it goes on.

Psybro fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I honestly think Spitting Image in the late eighties peaked our satirical comedy and nobody has ever really bothered trying to beat it.

It honestly is a sad state of affairs how lame our modern satire is, compared to the side splitting stuff of early HIGNF and Spitting Images golden years even though both are now pretty much Historical now.