Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Might not be the right place for this but I want to take an extremely hi-res photo and turn it into a poster. Its a 4500x3000 picture. Anyone know the best place to do that? It seems like there are a lot of online choices for this. I could also do it at Kinkos, but I'm not sure if there is a better place.

I'm going for quality here, price doesn't have to be the cheapest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sound Insect
May 27, 2010

I'm travelling to Europe for about 20 days in April, but I need to make sure I pack light, as I'm intending to move around quite a bit. All my cameras are awesome and I'm really needing to make sure I don't bring too many.

For 35mm:
I have a 5DII and a Rollei 35. I'll be bring the 5DII no matter what, so it'll probably be dumb to bring some pocketable 35mm camera when I'll have a heavy dSLR no matter what. I'm not sure.

Big question is about the medium format cameras..
120/220:
I have a Mamiya 645 Pro and a Rolleiflex f/3.5. Going around Europe with a Rolleiflex seems really awesome and it was my fathers, so there is a deeply personal desire to take it with me. The Mamiya has built in metering, which is a bit more convenient than popping out the old Luna Pro F for pictures. Maybe I should just pack lightly on other things and take all the cameras?? argh

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

nasoren posted:

guys oh no they're on to us
I hope A. Pawlowski at least had the decency to kill himself after writing such a "no poo poo, Sherlock" article. But I do love the photo of the D.C. Hyatt, that one's a classic.

"Hey guys, how do I make this hotel look closer to the Capitol?"

"Here, borrow my 600mm and go about half a mile back."

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Ballistic Photon posted:

Maybe I should just pack lightly on other things and take all the cameras?? argh

Well, if you don't take any change of underwear, the weight saving is about equal to the Rollei and the lightmeter.

So, you have to balance 20 days in the same set of underwear against the nostalgia of the Rollei. Tough call.

LitigiousChimp
Sep 14, 2002

Sputty thinks I'm awesome and I deserve a kitten avatar!

Drunkboxer posted:

I'm not sure it's one of those because when I sat it on a black background I couldn't see the image. I took a picture of it backlit in the window, if that helps.

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

edit: as for the gift giver, he got it at an auction and when I asked him he wasn't completely clear on the whole "what is it exactly" issue.
I saw that and thought "that kind of looks like Teddy Roosevelt", so I tried Google and this picture turned up on the first page:

Click here for the full 1350x1999 image.

That looks like it might even be the same horse. I guess that doesn't help you figure out what it is, I just thought it was funny.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

LitigiousChimp posted:

I saw that and thought "that kind of looks like Teddy Roosevelt", so I tried Google and this picture turned up on the first page:

Click here for the full 1350x1999 image.

That looks like it might even be the same horse. I guess that doesn't help you figure out what it is, I just thought it was funny.

Yeah it's him. I have a little TR collection and that's why I got it as a gift. It's from a 1905 trip to Colorado, I've seen a number of other photographs from the same day (like the one you linked) but not exactly the one I have.

I'm starting to think what I have may be a magic lantern slide and not a photo.

edit: then again I don't know. Lantern slides had stuff on the side of them right? Like the manufacturers info and stuff.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 20, 2011

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

LitigiousChimp posted:

Take the image Drunkboxer posted and flip it horizontal.. the details match up perfectly. So I guess he's the owner of one of the throwaways of whatever photo shoot this was.

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit
Not sure if this is the best place for this, but here goes - What do you guys use to calibrate monitors for accurate colors? Just got a new LG to supplement my old Dell, big difference in color cast and brightness. Does anyone have one of those Spyder calibration tools, and if so - does it work well?

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

I bought a Canon 50mm f1.8 off of craigslist and I've noticed a problem with it. I was cranking up the ISO because it was night and if I used a high ISO (800+) and a smaller aperture (I notice it around f8), I get an error saying the lens is not communicating with the camera and that I should clean the contact points. The camera is brand new and the lens is only a few months old, so it shouldn't be dirty. I cleaned it anyway and it didn't fix the problem. The camera completely freezes when this happens.

I contacted the guy and he said that the place he bought it from will swap it out if he brings it back to them. Before I start the run around process with him though, the lens is broken right? Is there any reason that using a high ISO with a small aperture with that lens should be avoided and cause the camera to freeze if the lens is working properly?

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

onezero posted:

Does anyone have one of those Spyder calibration tools, and if so - does it work well?

I am using a Spyder 2 express and it seems to do its job. Calibration takes longer than it should (15 min?) but that's about it.

Sound Insect
May 27, 2010

spog posted:

Well, if you don't take any change of underwear, the weight saving is about equal to the Rollei and the lightmeter.

So, you have to balance 20 days in the same set of underwear against the nostalgia of the Rollei. Tough call.

Or I could bring a couple more rolls of film by bringing no underwear and just chafe my way around Europe!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Ballistic Photon posted:

Or I could bring a couple more rolls of film by bringing no underwear and just chafe my way around Europe!

First time I read that, I thought you were proposing to make underwear out of film.

Ouch.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

spog posted:

First time I read that, I thought you were proposing to make underwear out of film.

Ouch.

Just the backing paper from the 120. Suffer for your art.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Kiri koli posted:

I bought a Canon 50mm f1.8 off of craigslist and I've noticed a problem with it. I was cranking up the ISO because it was night and if I used a high ISO (800+) and a smaller aperture (I notice it around f8), I get an error saying the lens is not communicating with the camera and that I should clean the contact points. The camera is brand new and the lens is only a few months old, so it shouldn't be dirty. I cleaned it anyway and it didn't fix the problem. The camera completely freezes when this happens.

I contacted the guy and he said that the place he bought it from will swap it out if he brings it back to them. Before I start the run around process with him though, the lens is broken right? Is there any reason that using a high ISO with a small aperture with that lens should be avoided and cause the camera to freeze if the lens is working properly?
I can't explain why the camera's freezing, but there's definitely a reason why high ISO + small aperture should be avoided - it's bad. What are you shooting at night that requires you to stop down so much? I mean if you're taking pictures of people you want it wide open (1.8) anyway to get the most light and bokehs (in which case you could probably go down to ISO 400), and if you're taking landscapes you should be using a tripod (and thus shooting at ISO 100). I just can't think of a reason you'd ever need the combination you're using.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005

jackpot posted:

I can't explain why the camera's freezing, but there's definitely a reason why high ISO + small aperture should be avoided - it's bad. What are you shooting at night that requires you to stop down so much? I mean if you're taking pictures of people you want it wide open (1.8) anyway to get the most light and bokehs (in which case you could probably go down to ISO 400), and if you're taking landscapes you should be using a tripod (and thus shooting at ISO 100). I just can't think of a reason you'd ever need the combination you're using.

Oh I know that technically it's a bad thing to do. I wasn't shooting anything in particular. I was just pointing my new lens at my furniture at night and playing around with settings to check that everything worked. The problem primarily happened at high ISO and small aperture, but it would occasionally happen at more reasonable settings as well. I was asking if using such settings would cause an error even with a functioning lens. Even though I'll never shoot with such settings for real, I still don't want a broken lens. The problem might eventually extend to all ISOs and apertures, for all I know.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

If a lens doesn't work with certain settings and the manual doesn't say "this lens will not work with these settings," it's broken.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

If a lens doesn't work with certain settings and the manual doesn't say "this lens will not work with these settings," it's broken.

Didn't get a manual with it, unfortunately, but I've found references to this problem with other lenses online, so I'm going to go with it's broken and try to exchange it tomorrow.

Jimmy Thief
Nov 5, 2002

by toby
I live in MN and want to shoot the US Pond Hockey Tournaments today and tomorrow, but it's fricken' -11 here today and supposed to warm up to -5 tomorrow.

Battery life aside, is weather like this bad for my camera and lenses? I have a D90 and would mostly be using a 80-200 2.8. Any thoughts? I've googled it, but seen mixed answers.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Jimmy Thief posted:

I live in MN and want to shoot the US Pond Hockey Tournaments today and tomorrow, but it's fricken' -11 here today and supposed to warm up to -5 tomorrow.

Battery life aside, is weather like this bad for my camera and lenses? I have a D90 and would mostly be using a 80-200 2.8. Any thoughts? I've googled it, but seen mixed answers.

I think this is the third time this question has appeared in the last couple of weeks. There must be a lot of cold fingers this time of year.

You should be fine just keep the batteries in your pocket to keep them warm.

Before you go back into the warm, put the camera and lens in a ziplock bag. Then, bring them indoors and watch the condensation form on the outside of the bag (and not on your precious electronics). Give it a few hours to warm up before you unwrap it.

Jimmy Thief
Nov 5, 2002

by toby

spog posted:

I think this is the third time this question has appeared in the last couple of weeks. There must be a lot of cold fingers this time of year.

You should be fine just keep the batteries in your pocket to keep them warm.

Before you go back into the warm, put the camera and lens in a ziplock bag. Then, bring them indoors and watch the condensation form on the outside of the bag (and not on your precious electronics). Give it a few hours to warm up before you unwrap it.

Thanks, I will go ahead and do that. I appreciate the response.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I took my camera out on a walk the other day.. it was a balmy 5 degreees (fahrenheit), and the camera was fine.

Towards the end of the walk however, it sounded like the focus mechanism was straining a bit. When I switched to manual focus everything was rotating freely, so I think it was mostly the battery getting too cold to deliver enough juice to properly power the lens (IS and AF) as well as the camera.

Maybe a battery grip would have fewer issues? Not sure. But I think in sub-zero temps, tucking the camera into a coat when not shooting will help its performance.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
Some of my old screwmount lenses get pretty angry in the cold, especially the preset-aperture ones. Seems like the lubricants gel up, gets really tough to change the aperture on 'em after a few minutes of exposure to the cold, but they're fine once I get back inside.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Kiri koli posted:

Didn't get a manual with it, unfortunately, but I've found references to this problem with other lenses online, so I'm going to go with it's broken and try to exchange it tomorrow.
I'm pretty sure it doesn't even come with a manual, just an insert informing you that you should line up the red dot on the lens with the red dot on the camera when you try to mount it. Zero sarcasm response: it's broken, get a new one.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Kiri koli posted:

Oh I know that technically it's a bad thing to do. I wasn't shooting anything in particular. I was just pointing my new lens at my furniture at night and playing around with settings to check that everything worked. The problem primarily happened at high ISO and small aperture, but it would occasionally happen at more reasonable settings as well. I was asking if using such settings would cause an error even with a functioning lens. Even though I'll never shoot with such settings for real, I still don't want a broken lens. The problem might eventually extend to all ISOs and apertures, for all I know.
I can't see why the ISO would affect the lens at all. Just to make sure, have you tried shooting at f/8 ISO 100? The lens should definitely work at all ISOs and aperture settings (and shutter speeds for that matter).As everyone else has said, if it does not, some part of it is broken.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

xzzy posted:

Maybe a battery grip would have fewer issues? Not sure. But I think in sub-zero temps, tucking the camera into a coat when not shooting will help its performance.

I've heard of some people swapping out batteries a lot. i.e. they keep one in a warm pocket and every hour swap it for the now-cold one in the body.

If I did it, I am sure I would probably drop one of them in the snow and short it out.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

spog posted:

I've heard of some people swapping out batteries a lot. i.e. they keep one in a warm pocket and every hour swap it for the now-cold one in the body.

If I did it, I am sure I would probably drop one of them in the snow and short it out.

This works really well actually.
When I shot rally outside in about -5 to -8 degrees Celsius all day last Saturday, I had two batteries with me. The first one showed empty after about 100 shots, so I switched them and used the other one until it had about a third of the charge in it. After changing them again, the first one once again displayed as full :v:

Went a whole day like this and in the end I had about 800 shots taken and both of my batteries still had some juice in them.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I've had a couple of people I know working at jewellery shops ask me about doing photography for them. At the moment I don't even own a macro lens so I've had to politely decline, but I can see it being a way of making some cash if I can turn out a quality product.

Anyone done this? I'm assuming I'd need some kind of light tent set up like this.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

psylent posted:

I've had a couple of people I know working at jewellery shops ask me about doing photography for them. At the moment I don't even own a macro lens so I've had to politely decline, but I can see it being a way of making some cash if I can turn out a quality product.

Anyone done this? I'm assuming I'd need some kind of light tent set up like this.

If you can do it where they can't see you (cause it will look like a hack-job), you can do this for super cheap. Buy extension tubes, enough to get lifesize. Make a light box out of a normal cardboard box. Line the inside with white paper, and cut out a square from both sides and cover with white paper.

If you start doing a lot and making money, get a good macro and a real collapsible tent, but you could dip your toe this way and see how profitable it would be.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

jackpot posted:

I can't explain why the camera's freezing, but there's definitely a reason why high ISO + small aperture should be avoided - it's bad.
Eh, if you want large DoF and decent shutter speed in poo poo light you'll need ot ISO up.

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

psylent posted:

I recently built one like PIMM described. This is my cheap as setup:

This is a photo of some jewelery I just took and quickly removed dust:

IMG_0341 by like okay cool dude, on Flickr

edit: Oh yeah, the lens is an old M42 100mm with extension tubes.

sensy v2.0 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 24, 2011

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What's the best way to shoot into the sun and maintain a decent foreground?
Super tiny aperture + Polarizer?

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

A5H posted:

I would think you want an ND filter more than a polarizer for something like that. Although using one doesn't prevent you from using the other as well.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

A5H posted:

Graduated ND filter or light the foreground with strobes.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Thanks guys. I guess I'll grab a ND filter. Can you get graduated ones in different strengths or do you just add them as you need?

brad industry
May 22, 2004
They come in like 1/2, 1, 2, etc stops. You might want to meter a scene you need this for and see what the contrast difference is before buying one.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

poopinmymouth posted:

If you can do it where they can't see you (cause it will look like a hack-job), you can do this for super cheap. Buy extension tubes, enough to get lifesize. Make a light box out of a normal cardboard box. Line the inside with white paper, and cut out a square from both sides and cover with white paper.

If you start doing a lot and making money, get a good macro and a real collapsible tent, but you could dip your toe this way and see how profitable it would be.
I'd be photographing a lot of valuable jewellery so I'm assuming they'd probably want me to do it onsite, so I think I'd need something a bit more professional than a cardboard box. I'll definitely set one up to play around with at home though :)

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Just buy 2 scrim jims. Accomplishes the same thing, cheap, but isn't made out of cardboard. You can use them for a lot of other things since the fabric is easily changeable.

I personally prefer the Photoflex ones that snap together over the ones that have to be assembled one piece at a time.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

asteroceras
Mar 18, 2007

by T. Finn
Two questions:

Firstly, does anyone know a way to automatically record how long an image in photoshop has been open (i.e. the total time it has been edited or just looked at in PS)? Either a plugin or independent program would be good.

Secondly, how much difference would I notice by upgrading my processor from a dual core 2.8GHz to quad core ~3.0GHz, given the following setup, and bearing in mind that my biggest annoyance is the time it takes to save large images, not slowness in general operations? :
16Gb DDR2
SSD HD with Win 7, CS5, ~30Gb free space for scratch disk
Big non-system 7200rpm scratch disk

Would I notice much difference going all the way to the newest motherboard and processor?
I note that the time taken to save a large image is identical whether I save to the SSD or any of my non-SSD disks, so I suppose the processor has an influence.

Thanks

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
Stupid flyaway hairs in a fashion headshot.
Liquify looks horrible, clone looks just as bas.. what to use :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Cyberbob posted:

Stupid flyaway hairs in a fashion headshot.
Liquify looks horrible, clone looks just as bas.. what to use :/

Pic so we can see what you're dealing with? Can't say I've ever thought of using liquify to remove them, that sounds like a tremendous pain in the rear end... usually I just spot heal or clone.