Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Crayvex posted:

A similar thing happened to me. The officer told me he got all the necessary information and then it turned out that the woman that hit me was an illegal alien, driving a truck that didn't belong to her, which turned out not to be ensured anyway. I guess the cop was too busy lecturing me about the evils of motorcycling to notice that her proof of insurance didn't match the god drat truck she was driving.

Probably posted in this thread somewhere, but I had someone drive into me (in a car, luckily) at a pedestrian crossing in CA, driving a shitbox car, and the officer who I finally convinced to come to the accident never got insurance details out of the other driver, despite ticketing her for not having proof of insurance.

Why do they do it? I don't understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Saga posted:

It's one thing to practise on the track with number boards and a chance to learn the corners, it's another when Dipshit McTwat does an illegal u-turn without warning 10 feet in front of you...

Sure but muscle memory is what will save you in that instance. Unless you have actually felt the brakes lock up and done the right thing over and over, you won't be able to do it right on the street with no warning.

There are many time where skills I've learned and honed on the track (cars and bikes) have saved my dumb rear end on the road.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Saga posted:

never got insurance details

not having proof of insurance.

I don't understand.

I don't understand either. If she didn't have proof, how could he get details?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

She could *have* insurance, just not have the card on her. (Not likely, but possile.)

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Endless Mike posted:

She could *have* insurance, just not have the card on her. (Not likely, but possile.)

Well I thought that, possibly, but I don't know poo poo about my insurance. It's allstate, I think, but other than knowing my own name and that fact, I don't know anything else, really.

Where am I?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

She hasn't contacted me or the attorney yet, neither has her car insurance company. I'm thinking of going after the rental place, because she should have to provide proof of insurance if she declined to buy theirs, right?

Also reading the police report right now, here's how the statements came out:

:j: : "I was going to try and make a U-Turn. i was making the turn and he came out of nowhere."
:colbert: : "I was coming around the bend and she flipped a u-turn right in front of me"

According to the report, her vehicle struck the front of my bike so she either hit me and knocked me off or my bike slid into her car.. I really wish I could have seen it from a third person's perspective.

P-1 (Stephens) caused this traffic collision by violating section:
22102VC - Illegal U-Turn in Business District

So this should be a piece of cake with the insurance companies assuming she even has insurance..

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

She was a CA driver in an absolutely shitbox of a 323 with no insurance card (suspicious much?). The cop required her to produce proof of insurance and gave her a ticket to that effect. I went back to PA.

Constable Cuntwit didn't actually obtain any details from her and didn't pursue the matter despite my asking them to on a regular basis. I ended up paying the rental car company their deductible because of it.

Saga fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 21, 2011

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Saga posted:

I went back to PA.

Constable Cuntwit didn't actually obtain any details from her and didn't pursue the matter despite my asking them to on a regular basis. I ended up paying the rental car company their deductible because of it.

Yeah, this happened to me in my accident too. The lady was driving a rental and I was too frazzled from flying off the bike and sliding along the highway she illegally u-turned across in front of me to realize the silver Mercedes she was driving wasn't the silver Mercedes on her insurance card (have enough money to own and rent a Mercedes wherever you go? geez). The police officer didn't take down any of her contact info and her insurance company couldn't get a hold of her or find out what company she rented the car from for a month after the accident so I ended up eating the cost of a rental car for myself in the meantime.
Total clusterfuck. I wrecked in mid August and didn't get paid for my bike until mid October, didn't get paid back for the rental unil November, and just last week got my injury settlement.

e: grammar

himajinga fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 21, 2011

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
Ugh these situations suck so bad.

Im my accident, the guy in a new Audi A6 changed lanes into me, and knocked me off the bike. We both had the same insurance company (21st insurance), him with full coverage and me with just liability on my bike. The police refused to come to the scene unless I agreed to be taken away in an ambulance, so no report. Then when it was time to assign fault, the insurance company decided that nobody was at fault so they didn't have to pay out anything.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Four weeks later, im out of my cast and into a moon boot but i dont think its healing correctly.

Tuesday i go to wait two hours to see Dr Douchebag MD. who might actually look at my CT this time.
then he'll probably threaten me with surgery again.

what a shitfight the public hospital system is. and the osteo at my local private is on holiday for three weeks.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dude, you're obviously a hobbit.

Just chill out with some pipeweed and ale, it'll be alright ;)

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Kommando posted:

Four weeks later, im out of my cast and into a moon boot but i dont think its healing correctly.

Tuesday i go to wait two hours to see Dr Douchebag MD. who might actually look at my CT this time.
then he'll probably threaten me with surgery again.

what a shitfight the public hospital system is. and the osteo at my local private is on holiday for three weeks.

Public hospital is treating your and you private is on vacation and you're upset with the public?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

nsaP posted:

Public hospital is treating your and you private is on vacation and you're upset with the public?

yes i am. :qq:

i just want someone to look at my CT and say its alright.

because then i can call my boss and tell him how long i'll be off work for still and how long i have to survive on the money i have saved.

Mr Clownfish
Jan 1, 2010

SaNChEzZ posted:

:j: : "I was going to try and make a U-Turn. i was making the turn and he came out of nowhere."

You need to stop teleporting.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Mr Clownfish posted:

Actually, I think what we're seeing is that she failed to develop through the psychological stage of object permanence. As the brain develops, we eventually learn that, just because we can't see something, doesn't mean it stops existing. This is why babies sometimes cry when they lose sight of their parents.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Mr Clownfish posted:

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

This time the trip to the docs went much better. saw a different osteo who took me through my CT and showed me how it was healing in place and that the outlook was good, no need for surgery.
i saw 4 main pieces and some shards in between at the head of the first metatarsal. the tarsal is intact which is remarkable but not amazing.
prognosis is another two weeks without work and then i should be walking again. then another two months before im completely healed. provided im active i should get out of this with no arthritis, however if i do get arthritis in a few years they can do surgery and fuse the metatarsal to the tarsal with 316 stainless steel.
he got me to take off the aircast i have on and looked at the swelling and fluid buildup. he said it was normal.

ive been able to walk about with an aircast for the last two days and even ride. i rode to the hospital with crutches occy strapped to the back.

im mobile again. woo!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Cool, good to hear you're on the mend. Breaks like that can be a complete bitch.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I'm walking. without the cast.

my foot is still swollen a bit, but i can walk on it pain free. i even got a shoe on today and helped paint my parents house. my tendons are all stiff and so my foot is a bit round, and my metatarsal-phalanges joint is sore in the cartilage but its no longer bruised and painful.

i might even be able to go back to work on thursday. which is good cause im almost out of money.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011
My crash:

Coming home one night from work, which was about 5 minutes away. Coming up a hill then a 70 degree left, I hit some gravel in the turn I couldn't see because of the incline, and lowsided at around 15-20mph. My left leg was momentarily underneath the bike as I skidded and rolled about 25 feet. The jeans I was wearing tore right through so both of my knees and legs were skinned up, got rashed on my side, and since I was wearing a tshirt and windbreaker both my arms were road rashed up and down. My left elbow was in bad shape with deep gouges. My shoulder was also separated but I popped it back in on the spot.

The stupidity is pretty obvious, and I learned many lessons. Just goes to show you that even on a short trip on a known road you need to wear gear. I'd been up that hill a hundred times and there wasn't gravel there before, but conditions change. With gear on my shoulder probably would have still separated but I wouldn't have been rashed. It's not worth the scars and the story. I was lucky to escape without any broken bones.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
:gonk: Can't say I would be immediately comfortable with popping my shoulder back together.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ziploc posted:

:gonk: Can't say I would be immediately comfortable with popping my shoulder back together.

The longer you wait, the more it'll hurt.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

KozmoNaut posted:

The longer you wait, the more it'll hurt.
Isn't there a chance you'll mess up putting it back in? Wouldn't want to pinch a nerve/muscle/tendon.*

I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

Ziploc posted:

I wasn't, and I certainly don't consider myself hard as nails, but then again I hate doctors and hospitals. I stupidly went to the e-room when I tore my ACL and all they did was sell me some really expensive crutches and tell me "You have probably done damage to your knee ligaments". O RLY? is that why my knee is buckling?

Actually it didn't even really hurt that bad. The open road rashes were screaming so loud I could barely feel the shoulder, and of course you have a ton of adrenalin, so I just grit my teeth and pushed it back in without really thinking. It's been a year and a half and hasn't given me any problems, though it will get a little sore if I shovel a lot of snow.

Edit: The most interesting residual mark from the accident is a black/purple mark on the tip of my elbow, I probably chipped a bone there or something.

Gweenz fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 4, 2011

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Did you hit your shoulder into something? Or did you just grab your shoulder with your other arm?

This fascinates me.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
It seems that I remember hearing that you hold your arm straight at your side and raise it straight up or something. But I could be wrong.

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
I dislocated my shoulder in a non-motorcycle related incident. I elected to go to the er, and after letting a little girl that was bitten in the face by a dog :( go in front of me, I had it set over an hour after having it dislocated. It does just hurt more and more, btw. As far as setting it goes, the doctor lifted my arm away from my side and put it perpendicular to my torso. He then pulled it out and sort of had to twist it back into place. I believe the technique changes depending on the nature of the dislocation.

All of my shoulder muscles were seized up when it dislocated. I lift weights regularly, and the doctor said that I would have probably caused more damage trying to force the shoulder back into socket. The doctor had given me delodid (sp) shortly before setting mine. Apparently its several times stronger than morphine and it relaxes muscles. I would equate it to the feeling of relaxation right after cumming. Pretty awesome.

I had issues with it afterward. Because of some tearing from the first dislocation, it was prone to dislocation. After having it slip and get stuck occasionally, I had surgery and now it's peachy keen.

I would say that if you can set it without excessive force, it's probably alright. When it would get stuck, I would do this myself. If you're thinking about slamming it into something, keep in mind that some of the poo poo in your shoulder doesn't really heal on its own.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

TEASE MY NECKBEARD posted:

The doctor had given me delodid (sp) shortly before setting mine. Apparently its several times stronger than morphine and it relaxes muscles. I would equate it to the feeling of relaxation right after cumming. Pretty awesome.

I think I have an idea for how to handle a dislocated shoulder in the field as long as one of your arms is still good... :pervert:

You may want to find some bushes or something first, of course.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

Ziploc posted:

Did you hit your shoulder into something? Or did you just grab your shoulder with your other arm?

This fascinates me.

I don't think it was a severe separation, or else I'd probably have more problems with it. I was sitting on the pavement kinda doing a quick check to make sure all my parts were there, and I could tell my shoulder felt "odd". when I put my hand on it I could tell it was out of place, like my whole shoulder was "forward". My knowledge of shoulder separations is limited to the Lethal Weapon movies, so without really thinking I sat up straight, put my hand on the front of my shoulder, and firmly pushed it backwards and into place. Thinking back on it I feel a little queasy and I probably should have gone to see the Doc to at least make sure it was ok. It actually felt a lot better after I popped it back. There was a girl there who heard the accident and came outside, and I almost made her throw up and/or pass out multiple times.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

That's funny, the first thing I thought when you said you popped it back in yourself was you (a bloody, wild haired, crazy eyeballed guy probably named Riggs) fresh off a motorcycle wreck screaming and smacking your shoulder into the side of a van.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

It had to happen some time with the way people drive around here: I was riding home from working a final dress rehearsal for a play and an oncoming car made a left turn plowing straight into me. Nothing is bleeding and nothing is broken, but my left shoulder is jacked up something fierce, and following the paramedic's advice, I'm having it checked out tomorrow (couldn't get out of work until then - no puke, no blood, no broken bones, no getting out of running a show). Other than that, I'm just painfully banged up. The fault should be entirely his, so I'm not too worried about covering medical and repair expenses, but I'm retaining a lawyer anyway just to be safe. At least he didn't hit and run like two other cyclist friends of mine experienced in the last six months.

My front fork is askew and the front disc brake is messed up, but other than that it's just paneling damage. I was able to ride it home carefully with someone following me. All in all, I feel really fortunate. It could have been much, much worse.

I don't have any gruesome pictures, but I feel pretty good about that.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Have you had an x-ray or just a check over from a paramedic? A collar bone which breaks right at the end (as opposed to mid-span) can still let you move your shoulder and not be very obvious. Definitely get it x-rayed.

Ask me how I know! :( (see thread title...)

Mr Clownfish
Jan 1, 2010

Mushika posted:

It had to happen some time with the way people drive around here: I was riding home from working a final dress rehearsal for a play and an oncoming car made a left turn plowing straight into me.

Did the car turn right in front of you, such that you ran into them? Or did it actually broadside you?

I have had this kind of accident happen to me twice when I was driving a car. People get impatient and turn when they don't have time to make the turn. When I was driving a car, I was kind of zoned out with tunnel vision, so I didn't have time to react to the person turning. From my perspective, the car effectively appeared in front of my instantly. The accidents would have been avoidable (even though they weren't my fault) if I had been watching the theperson making a left turn and anticipating they might go for it.

When I am on my bike, I am much more aware of this kind of stuff and look out for it.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Mr Clownfish posted:

Did the car turn right in front of you, such that you ran into them? Or did it actually broadside you?

I have had this kind of accident happen to me twice when I was driving a car. People get impatient and turn when they don't have time to make the turn. When I was driving a car, I was kind of zoned out with tunnel vision, so I didn't have time to react to the person turning. From my perspective, the car effectively appeared in front of my instantly. The accidents would have been avoidable (even though they weren't my fault) if I had been watching the theperson making a left turn and anticipating they might go for it.

When I am on my bike, I am much more aware of this kind of stuff and look out for it.
We hit almost nose to nose. My front wheel, just slightly left of center, collided with his front end almost at center. I vaguely remember the BMW logo on his hood as I went flying, but I may be imagining that honestly.

The problem was that I was overtaking a car in the left lane next to me making a left turn (that had almost come to a stop, so it wasn't as if I was riding along in a blind spot), and the oncoming car was making a left in front of that car. He wasn't using his turn signal and he didn't really even slow down enough to indicate he was turning, he just whipped out. I saw him approach and tried to make eye contact since I could easily seem him over the low-riding Lexus that was making a left next to me, but he claims he didn't see me. He may not have seen me as he decided to turn in front of the left-turning car to the left of me, but if he'd been looking ahead less than half a second beforehand, he would have easily seen me overtaking the car he decided to make a left in front of. I can't help but wonder if he was on his mobile phone at that moment.

Saga, the paramedics don't think it's broken, but I won't know until Tuesday when I can get in to see the doctor.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Mushika posted:

:words:

Wait! You're in BTR, right? If true, that's the only reason I haven't ponied up to take the MSF again (licensed and rode in the late 80's/early 90's). The more I browse this forum, the more my quest to ride again takes fire.

Then I run to someplace in town (I live in Central) and realize that I get nervous in my goddamn truck sometimes.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Did something silly this morning,

After yesterdays wonderful weather its back down to the low teens. So I headed off early this morning to put the bike back in storage.

Got out on the main drag, gave the bike some throttle, bike says COUGH COUGH VROOOM!. Back tire spins up, bike instantly swaps ends. Bike goes down and I watch it slide away from me.

The whole thing was kinda wtf for me. My fault for trying to ride the bike like normal and with both the road and the tires being at sub freezing temps. Total damange to the DRZ is one smashed tail lamp, and a scuff on my handle bar end. Easily laughed the whole thing off and finished putting the bike up. Maybe next time Mr DRZ.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Lucky you on that smashed tail light. Get the edge light, so much nicer.

Supermoto crashes are often more funny than serious.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

What is this edge light you speak of? Im swapping out all the plastics for white plastic and one of those cool low profile tail lights is on the list things I want.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

yummycheese posted:

What is this edge light you speak of? Im swapping out all the plastics for white plastic and one of those cool low profile tail lights is on the list things I want.

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/shop/36/24/index.shtml

Get this sucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

So I heard from the lady's insurance company today... Apparently she had bottom of the barrel insurance, $5,000 property damage limit. This is the insurance that she has to have to legally drive a car in California.

So they're going to pay me the $5k and let me keep the bike at no salvage cost, which kinda sucks but at the same time is alright. I'll probably end up buying a new bike and parting out the old one to recoup some of the loss.

My attorney said since she's being to uncooperative with the insurance company, it wouldn't be wise to go after her in small claims because there would be a million hoops and poo poo to jump through just to get a little bit of cash. We still have the personal injury claim open for missed wages, car rental etc. so hopefully that will turn out okay.

So, on that note, anyone need any Daytona 675 parts?

• Locked thread