Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

The Peyote Prophet posted:

What does it mean when a boy stares at you for more than 5 seconds?

Yeah, it's a stupid question, but in one of those teen magazines it said that if a boy stares at you for more than 5 seconds it mean he likes you.

Forget everything you ever read in a teen magazine. There simply isn't enough information here to tell you what it means; body language can convey a lot of information, but the direction the eyes are pointing is just a fragment of it. You may as well have chosen a random word from a paragraph and asked us what the author was writing about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

What does it mean when a boy stares at you for more than 5 seconds?

It means he has not yet mastered the art of subtlety.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Maybe he just has Asperger's and can't read faces.

a fellow creative
Sep 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh

The Aphasian posted:

Forget everything you ever read in a teen magazine. There simply isn't enough information here to tell you what it means; body language can convey a lot of information, but the direction the eyes are pointing is just a fragment of it. You may as well have chosen a random word from a paragraph and asked us what the author was writing about.

But I really like this boy. He looks at me quite alot, I think he likes me. He has an ex-girlfriend, though, and I'm scared that I might get in problems with her. Nobody really likes her, including me. What should I do?

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
Alright, I'll be that guy. Are you really weird looking or something?

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
How old are you?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Post in E/N about it.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

But I really like this boy. He looks at me quite alot, I think he likes me. He has an ex-girlfriend, though, and I'm scared that I might get in problems with her. Nobody really likes her, including me. What should I do?

Trip him when he comes out of the restroom so you can catch him when he falls.

Don't forget to gently caress him later on! tee hee

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
If he always stares at you he probably likes you. Go say hi to him then run away awkwardly.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

If you like him just go up and loving ask him out. Yes, it will be the scariest thing ever in the world oh my god I could just die. But it is the only way to know you terrible coward.

Seriously, I have stories of asking chicks out and failing horribly and they're hilarious. Sucked at the time, but I don't regret any of them at all.

I don't tell stories about the pretty chicks who I was afraid of, who may have liked me but I never even got up the nerve to talk to. Because that isn't funny, just depressing. Even though I'm happily married, I still very very much regret every risk I DID NOT take.

You ask him out and you have two possible outcomes:
1) He says no. You don't go out. FAILURE
2) He says yes. You go out. SUCCESS

Right now your only option is:
1) You don't ask him out. FAILURE

Or you could just wait for him to ask you out. Meanwhile I just wait for my job to give me a raise without requesting it, wait for my friends to call me without me calling them and wait for my body to magically get in shape without exercising.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

haveblue posted:

Post in E/N about it.

This is what you should do, that's not really a small question that has any quick, factual answer. You'll get pages of terrible advice from socially inept people there and somewhere therein you'll find a good course of action.

Quick answers: stare back at him until he gets uncomfortable, smile and wave, ignore it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

What's the policy and practice of listing medals from military service on your resume? Do I just say "Bronze Star, Purple Heart while in Navy" or what?

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

He certainly is curious about you. Get to know him, but don't get too close if you think you'll have trouble with his ex.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

tendrilsfor20 posted:

What's the policy and practice of listing medals from military service on your resume? Do I just say "Bronze Star, Purple Heart while in Navy" or what?

Could depend on whether the resume is intended for civilian use or otherwise. Typically military resumes for civilian applications are demilitarized to a certain extent, while still showcasing the officer's work tactic and accomplishments. Most of the resumes we've accepted have something generic like, "received various commendations, medals, and honors in US Navy active duty." A line like this prompts the employer to ask about your commendations if it applies or if they feel it is beneficial to your hiring.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

tendrilsfor20 posted:

If your military service is a job you are detailing on your resume you would list them as achievements/awards like you would with any other job.

I'll disagree with Slim though; do not list it in a generic way like that for anything really. A well formed resume should answer questions not create them.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Alright, I'll be that guy. Are you really weird looking or something?

he's an unfunny idiot. Always check the post count/history.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Schweinhund posted:

he's an unfunny idiot. Always check the post count/history.
Took this long for somebody to realize that it was an obvious troll? :ughh:

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
I used to be able to keep Youtube from reloading videos when I changed to fullscreen by logging in and choosing it from the preferences.

But now google has made it so that I have to log in with my google account it no longer can keep track of who I am apparently

Is there some way to make YouTube not care about whether I am checked in with my mail account, and just keep me logged in?

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
I recently bought an iomega Prestige Portable Hard Drive for my pc. It seems to be having trouble transferring a large amount of files. WHen I transfer "My Documents" or "Music" folders, in the middle of transferring, windows will say that they can't locate the files, even though it is still there. I then have the option of clicking "Try again" but that does not work so I click skip.

Then I try to drag the folder over to the drive again but the same thing happens. If I turn my computer off, unplug the drive, reboot and then start the transfer again, I can but eventually it will say again that windows cannot locate the files.

My question is, is this a windows error or is the drive faulty? Is there anything that can be done?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Something that causes this a lot for me at work is if the files have really long names, the total path to them will be really long like:

c:\users\knives and hot dust\my documents\my music\poo poo downloaded from napster 2000\britney spears metallica anthrax christina aguilera eminem -- whoomp there it is - full uncensored unreleased version NaPSTeRgOD.mp3

for some reason windows will let you save them and access/edit them just fine with huge path names but it shits when you try to copy them to another drive or share.

Either the total path where you're copying from might be too big or the total path lenght to where you're copying to is too big.
Probably the first, I can't imagine you're creating huge multilevel directory structures on your backup drive.

What I usually do if that's the case is just move the whole my documents directory to c:\ then copy it to where I want from c:\, after that I move my documents back to where it should be. Might have to even move my music out of my documents to c:\ itself too. (this all might get weird with vista or 7 though)

Also I *think* if you use xcopy from the command line it cares less about total path length than explorer.

If that's not it you might have other problems, some AV programs stop copying cold if you try to copy inf files maybe others besides infs, could be a bad sector on either one of your drives. dunno.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 22, 2011

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
NTFS, the file system that Windows uses, has a "Maximum Path Length" of 256 characters. This includes the folder names and the file's name; basically everything after "C:\". There's no good way around this, other than renaming your files to have shorter names.

Way more technical information than you really care about

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Gravity Pike posted:

NTFS, the file system that Windows uses, has a "Maximum Path Length" of 256 characters. This includes the folder names and the file's name; basically everything after "C:\". There's no good way around this, other than renaming your files to have shorter names.

Way more technical information than you really care about

I have always thought this idea (though true) pretty hilarious. Clearly that can have longer path names because they exist. Why WIndows cannot deal with them through explorer is a confusing, because other programs can deal with them accurately. Clearly the flaw is with Explorer's way of seeing the files, not with NTFS, since the files can be accessed even when the unique identifier is past the 256 charcter limit.

Two-Byte file names (Chinese, Japanese, etc) hit this limit faster, since there are some standard file locations that use up a good portion of the file name length limit.

(Also, to the original questioner, you have the point of failure rear end-backwards. If you are failing to copy from your internal drive, then it is your internal drive that has problems, not the external).

TURBO88
Jun 16, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Does it actually pay to buy liquor at the airport duty-free shop? Is it that much cheaper?

I know there's no tax/duty, but do these shops make up for it by charging more for the product outright? I just want a bottle of nice whiskey. :(

possibly important side info: I'm a Canadian travelling to the UK

TomSellek
Jan 31, 2008
Arrogant, dumb, meat headed and stubborn. Please disregard and move on.
I noticed that European Ipad costs are about $250 higher than in the US. What if I bought a couple Ipads here, brought them to France and sold them on, making enough profit to cover my plane ticket?

I'm sure there's some catch to stop this happening right?

Last time I flew in to Paris customs was basically a rubber stamp, never asked me anything or looked in my bags.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

I recently bought an iomega Prestige Portable Hard Drive for my pc. It seems to be having trouble transferring a large amount of files. WHen I transfer "My Documents" or "Music" folders, in the middle of transferring, windows will say that they can't locate the files, even though it is still there. I then have the option of clicking "Try again" but that does not work so I click skip.

Then I try to drag the folder over to the drive again but the same thing happens. If I turn my computer off, unplug the drive, reboot and then start the transfer again, I can but eventually it will say again that windows cannot locate the files.

My question is, is this a windows error or is the drive faulty? Is there anything that can be done?

Are you transferring more than 4gb? If the drive is FAT-32 format, you need to reformat it to NTFS to remove the file size cap. However, the error you get usually tells you that and isn't the error you're getting. Try transferring like 3GB and see if it works.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

TURBO88 posted:

Does it actually pay to buy liquor at the airport duty-free shop? Is it that much cheaper?

I know there's no tax/duty, but do these shops make up for it by charging more for the product outright? I just want a bottle of nice whiskey. :(

possibly important side info: I'm a Canadian travelling to the UK

Canada->UK almost definite (good) savings for liquor or tobacco since they are so heavily taxed. Especially import stuff.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Canada->UK almost definite (good) savings for liquor or tobacco since they are so heavily taxed. Especially import stuff.

Duty free at Heathrow airport you can get cigarettes for £30 a carton of 200 and 2 litres of premium spirits for £20, which is about half the street price in both cases

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

I found an old friend of mine from traveling on facebook. His profile is set so that one can not send him friend requests. His email address I have is an old one from when he was working in Italy and it is now defunct. Am I as out of luck as I appear to be? I would love to see how he is. Oh, I am unable to view his friends to see if any mutual acquaintance from years ago could go between, even if I would feel comfortable approaching someone to do that, which I don't. He's an older guy, so I'm not sure if he is even aware that people are unable to contact him.

I'm not all that familiar with facebook myself, so if I'm missing something please let me know :)

Umph fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 23, 2011

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

Umph posted:

I found an old friend of mine from traveling on facebook. His profile is set so that one can not send him friend requests. His email address I have is an old one from when he was working in Italy and it is now defunct. Am I as out of luck as I appear to be? I would love to see how he is. Oh, I am unable to view his friends to see if any mutual acquaintance from years ago could go between, even if I would feel comfortable approaching someone to do that, which I don't. He's an older guy, so I'm not sure if he is even aware that people are unable to contact him.

I'm not all that familiar with facebook myself, so if I'm missing something please let me know :)

You said he's locked down for friend requests, but does he also have it locked down to messages through Facebook?

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

WHEEZY MISS A DUDE posted:

You said he's locked down for friend requests, but does he also have it locked down to messages through Facebook?

Yes. I guess it was a dumb question, it's not that important anyway in the scheme of things.

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat

TomSellek posted:

I noticed that European Ipad costs are about $250 higher than in the US. What if I bought a couple Ipads here, brought them to France and sold them on, making enough profit to cover my plane ticket?

I'm sure there's some catch to stop this happening right?

Last time I flew in to Paris customs was basically a rubber stamp, never asked me anything or looked in my bags.

You mean parallel importing? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_import / http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_market

Entering a country with goods for the specific purpose of selling them can get you into a lot of strife without the proper permissions.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I recently got back from a trip to New Zealand and ever since I've been back my Google searches are only always google.co.nz, and many times the first results are from New Zealand webpages, as well as the maps only searches New Zealand unless I specify a state or a country. Does anyone know how to fix this? I've messed around with the settings but have had no luck. Thanks.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

Clear your cookies. If you need help, post what browser you have.

Disregard that, it's not right. When you search there should be a thing to the left that says "Change Location". Click that and type in wherever you live.

http://www.google.com/support/websearch/bin/answer.py?answer=179386&hl=en

e: Though in your case it sounds like you're getting NZ Google from the searchbar? You might want to clear your cookies anyways and see if that helps. Worse case scenario you've removed some bloat and have to type in a few passwords again.

Mr.Hotkeys fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 23, 2011

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Clear your cookies. If you need help, post what browser you have.

Disregard that, it's not right. When you search there should be a thing to the left that says "Change Location". Click that and type in wherever you live.

http://www.google.com/support/websearch/bin/answer.py?answer=179386&hl=en

e: Though in your case it sounds like you're getting NZ Google from the searchbar? You might want to clear your cookies anyways and see if that helps. Worse case scenario you've removed some bloat and have to type in a few passwords again.

I've cleared my cookies before to see if it worked and it did not and I just tried to change my location but it says my locations were invalid and they must be New Zealand locations. I'll keep messing around with it and see what I come up with but otherwise I might be out of luck it looks like. If anyone else has any suggestions let me know.

EDIT: Fixed the problem!

yoohoo fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 23, 2011

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

yoohoo posted:

I've cleared my cookies before to see if it worked and it did not and I just tried to change my location but it says my locations were invalid and they must be New Zealand locations. I'll keep messing around with it and see what I come up with but otherwise I might be out of luck it looks like. If anyone else has any suggestions let me know.

EDIT: Fixed the problem!

So why not say what fixed it then? It's not like people just want to help you, they also want to know how to fix it if it happens to them.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

What's this guy advertising?

It's a photo I took in Hong Kong a few years ago and never figured out what the product is.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
My Chinese is pretty spotty, but I think it's canned abalone. Refer to the Mandarin thread for details:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2683932

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

That was the only thing I had considered it being, but I've only seen pictures of fresh abalone so I wouldn't really know.

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

Can anyone help with a link to buy the soundtrack for the Scottish movie 'the match'? I'm looking for it for my dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

nocturama posted:

Can anyone help with a link to buy the soundtrack for the Scottish movie 'the match'? I'm looking for it for my dad

Doesn't look like a full CD ever got released
http://musicbrainz.org/artist/8974da95-e631-45aa-8fd7-aa0c2795f997.html

There was a compilation CD released however that does have four of the songs on it
http://www.hans-zimmer.com/fr/newsite.php?rub=detail&id=146