Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Dread Head posted:

Since it was shipping damage I am guessing insurance was paid out and the insurance probably made them destroy the products in order to get a pay out, just a guess.

Ah. Makes sense. If Canon sold it after the fact, it would basically be Canon defrauding the insurance company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
Donate it to schools.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or scour them for parts to rebuild other lenses.

I get the whole insurance fraud argument, but lenses are not cheap to make. There is no way in hell that it makes sense from an environmental standpoint to throw away something usable just because some other component is damaged.

Canon has that video on their site that was linked in this thread earlier this year.. the resources and effort that go into a single element of an L class lens is staggering.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
If there was a way for them to make money from it, they would. They would have to pay skilled labor to evaluate the broken piece, salvage what they could, and get it back into the assembly process while assuring quality control. The assembly process would also have to account for the number and schedule of salvaged parts. Or they recoup the damage from an insurance company who has been collecting a fat premium this whole time.

AIIAZNSK8ER fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 20, 2011

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Be that as it may. I still feel like I've been punched in the gut :(

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I feel a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.

I wish they would at least consider all those starving photogs out there.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Whitezombi posted:

Paint that poo poo florescent orange and sell it for pennies on the dollar.

Pentax effectively does this, but sells it at MSRP

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Really, the bright red option for the K-x is one of the least-obnoxious options Pentax has run with.

I'm seriously considering this lens (SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F/2.4 AL), but the coloured options (12 different colours) cost $300, compared to $200 for black. But that conversation properly belongs in the gear thread.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

HPL posted:

Ah. Makes sense. If Canon sold it after the fact, it would basically be Canon defrauding the insurance company.

You say that like it's a bad thing. Who hasn't committed a little insurance fraud here and there.

"Oh, that scratch two feet away from the spot where the guy rear-ended me? Yeah that wasn't there before the accident, better fix it."

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Hmm. Just spent the last 2 hours e-stalking a girl I had a crush on in high school. Always wondered what happened to her. Turns out she went off to art school, became a professional photographer, and is now very, very successful and quite talented. She's also married. :(

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Mannequin posted:

She's also married. :(
gently caress

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
That photo is deep. Farthest one getting naked...

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Mannequin posted:

Hmm. Just spent the last 2 hours e-stalking a girl I had a crush on in high school. Always wondered what happened to her. Turns out she went off to art school, became a professional photographer, and is now very, very successful and quite talented. She's also married. :(

Look on the bright side, 50% of marriages in the US end in divorce.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

HPL posted:

Nothing super-groundbreaking here, just thought this article was kind of amusing:

'The sexy lady' and other hotel photo tricks

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/01/19/hotel.photo.fakeouts/index.html?hpt=C2

The Hyatt picture is especially interesting, because the hotel is very close to the Capitol building, so one could claim that using a telephoto to bring the two closer is warranted. The other picture is more misleading than the ad material.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

ExecuDork posted:

Really, the bright red option for the K-x is one of the least-obnoxious options Pentax has run with.

I'm seriously considering this lens (SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F/2.4 AL), but the coloured options (12 different colours) cost $300, compared to $200 for black. But that conversation properly belongs in the gear thread.

Really, a dayglo orange, full frame sensor'd, weather sealed DSLR would definiately corner the market for war photojournalism.

Actually, if the 645D could shoot at higher ISOs just spray paint it I guess?

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

guidoanselmi posted:

If I had money to burn I'd probably seriously consider spray-painting my XT just for shits and giggles.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
That weird DigitalRev guy has done precisely that (with a Nikon D90)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwZ_RleZ9Bw

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

guidoanselmi posted:

Good lord.

Mannequin posted:

She needs to crop that little bit on the left.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

So I'm very seriously contemplating going to Japan in March.

Anyone have any experiences camera shopping in Shinjuku in Tokyo? I'm looking to just take my digital and a bunch of film only to buy a rangefinder the first day there. :cool:

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
everything is the same price as everywhere else. possibly a little bit more, since I'm in australia, and camera equipment is apparently more expensive here. and it was as expensive in Japan.

Also Shinjuku has some cool places but you probably want to go to... I think it was Ginza. Also, contrary to popular belief, Japanese people whilst they are polite, they hate you. They hate you just as much as you hate people who are in your country and don't speak your language at all, in the slightest, except possibly thank you and hello. I mention this because nowhere will you experience the hatred of the Japanese more than camera stores. Oh boy they hate you in camera stores. You never knew just how much you suck until you jingle your merry way into one of those shops.

I did find a neat camera store in Asakusa but, again, everything was the same price as eBay.

I think you might be able to find like, old cheap lenses. But again, same price as eBay, really.

EDIT: I feel kinda like a douche, I hope I didn't kill the dream too bad.

EDIT 2: I didn't look at range finders, have some hope!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

guidoanselmi posted:

Anyone have any experiences camera shopping in Shinjuku in Tokyo? I'm looking to just take my digital and a bunch of film only to buy a rangefinder the first day there. :cool:
Don't expect any deals on new equipment. It's much more expensive than in America, and the exchange rate right now is REAL poo poo if you're exchanging dollars for yen. The big camera stores have used departments in their Shinjuku locations (Bic, Yodobashi, and Sakuraya), and again, I never found any real deals; you might have different luck. Bring your passport to get out of the sales tax (which is included in any of the prices you see).

There are some great used shops, especially for film and medium/large format, but again don't expect too many deals, especially if you don't speak Japanese. On the plus side, anything you buy used is in impeccable condition. The best way to find them is to pick up a copy of Asahi Camera (magazine) and check for ads. You'll need someone with decent Japanese to read the addresses, though some have maps.

The used store Helmacron is referencing in Ginza may be Lemon Camera. Pretty well known, and they sell lots of gray market stuff.

Also, I was last in these camera stores in 2007, things may have changed since then.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 20, 2011

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

fine guys...I'll bring my 645 just in case :smith:

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

BobTheCow posted:

That weird DigitalRev guy has done precisely that (with a Nikon D90)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwZ_RleZ9Bw

They did a D7000 recently, it turned out better http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_64sDhrK0I

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

guidoanselmi posted:

Hit me up when you get there.
I know some nice places to shop for used cameras in Shinjuku and surrounds. (Map Camera, Lucky Camera, Sofmap [with reservations]...) I can also help you you out with some Japanese, and maybe we can arrange a photo tour or something and have a cool beer.

Let me know: hello at manuelvandyck.com

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Whoa, awesome - thanks! I send you a heads up once I know I'm going for sure (next weekend).

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

guidoanselmi posted:

My wife and I are going to Japan in March as well, we'll be there from the 24th-29th :) Mind if I hit you up?

Although as it's our first holiday together in over a year I don't know how keen the wife will be on me meeting up with photography buddies during our short trip...

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I think I'd be traveling the week before, but it'll just be whenever is the cheapest. I'll be with my girlfriend, though I think a day in Shinjuku might not be bad/a great way to alienate significant others!

VVV I read your story about climbing it in the Japan thread. heh

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 21, 2011

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
man all I remember is getting off at ginza, walking about down to something like C5... C11... I don't know. Somewhere in that region, getting out and there was a Lemon camera, but there also were just used camera stores everywhere around there. On corners and poo poo. More than I saw at Shinjuku. Although Shinjuku had, besides the big Yodabashi hole next to the bus station, a Map camera, I think it was. Map camera was the only place I actually wanted to buy something. 85mm F1.8 Nikon.

Also, I don't know about Interrupting Moses, et all, but of the camera nerds I met over there, not one of them recommended Shinjuku. They were like "yeah there's shinjuku but ANYWAY you have to go to Ginza and (they'd point around Ginza on the metro map for good poo poo)". they'd skim shinjuku in sentences like you skim the awkward thing your sister did on the internet for money

anyway, whatever. Japan was way boring. I found this kick-rear end "antique" store in Egypt that only had broken camera equipment. The dude was selling them as antiquities, telling me a hosed up Nikon F4 with a smashed mirror was from the early 1940's and poo poo. I bought some kick-rear end filters I will never, ever use because whilst he pissed me off with his arrogance i had to respect the lie he was trying to sell. one of the filters is like a kaleidoscope, i can't think of how it's used to any affect that's not poo poo.

I would take that one store over Japan minus Mount Fuji because I heart Fuji.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I'm going up on the hills tonight with my Mamiya 645, a roll of Fuji T64, the full moon, and no meter. Wish me luck! :D

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

atomicthumbs posted:

I'm going up on the hills tonight with my Mamiya 645, a roll of Fuji T64, the full moon, and no meter. Wish me luck! :D

Sunny 16!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Aaaand my dad decided he wanted to come and then spent two hours not getting ready. Going tomorrow night. :argh:

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Sounds like my Photo History exam in several hours, the 'not getting ready part' to be precise. :ohdear:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

atomicthumbs posted:

Aaaand my dad decided he wanted to come and then spent two hours not getting ready. Going tomorrow night. :argh:

Just remember the moon is brighter than you think. Moony f/11 rule.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

8th-samurai posted:

Just remember the moon is brighter than you think. Moony f/11 rule.

I thought you were just being funny, but decided to google Moony 11 anyway. Awesome!

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Mannequin posted:

She's also married. :(

A ring can't plug a hole.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

squidflakes posted:

A ring can't plug a hole.

Holy poo poo dude, I have never heard that before, but I like it.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
No Advice, just fun stuff. For example referring to woman as holes to be hosed.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
What do you call the useless flap of skin around the vagina? The woman. :v:

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
I thought it was something poetic symbolizing that being married doesn't mean she can't still yearn for Mannequin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Upon review, I do sound like a misogynistic douche. Still a funny statement.