Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

16 inch circulars are too short for magic loop though, or at least incredibly annoying to use that way. Most people say to start with at least 32 inches or longer.

digitalscribbles, you generally don't want the length of the needles to be larger than the thing you're making, or else it'll stretch out to that length. 16 inch circulars would work for the hat (until you start decreasing), but DPNs or longer circs might be your best bet for the leg warmers.

Magic loop is pretty great though, gotta agree there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I've done it by simply pulling out my extra circumference and knitting in a circle--I find on hats the more extra needle I have the more irritating it is to handle. Knitpicks shows it in their How to Knit a Hat video (around 5:30). They're basically doing mini magic loop on a 16" needle.

ETA where in video they show it.

felgs fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 15, 2011

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

elbow posted:

Except it's cheaper to use magic loop considering she already has circulars :)

I'd definitely recommend trying out magic loop before you go out and buy DPNs. I personally prefer magic loop and only have one set of DPNs which I never use!

For some reason I had a huge brain fart and thought it was 2 circs for magic loop, I don't know why. Fibro fog is the worst sometimes.

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Oh my gosh, how adorable is that penguin? I saw knitted penguin and assumed it was the Pasha pattern from Knitty.

I would assume they mean to leave a hole in the head for stuffing or something. Does the second instruction you asked about refer to the top of the head too? I would use the tail yarn to do it if it's long enough, adding another one will just mean more ends and stuff.

Of course, the great thing about toys is you don't usually have to weave in the ends...just drag them through the middle and let them hang out in there forever. After knitting several striped objects for Christmas, I loving HATE weaving in ends.

Glad to hear about my ideas weren't too far off. The 2nd one is for the bottom/butt, and will have the feet to cover up a hole that I'm thinking will be there. I'm just going to go for it later and see what happens, I can always undo it if its screwed up, which I really have to learn is perfectly okay and quit being a perfectionist!

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
Incase anyone needs anything from Michaels, they have a coupon (good for today, Sat. an 15th only) for 20% off your entire purchase, including sale items. Here it is:

http://www.michaels.com/011511-Entire/011511-Entire-One-Day-Only,default,pg.html

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Fionnoula posted:

Incase anyone needs anything from Michaels, they have a coupon (good for today, Sat. an 15th only) for 20% off your entire purchase, including sale items. Here it is:

http://www.michaels.com/011511-Entire/011511-Entire-One-Day-Only,default,pg.html

Uggggh it's cold and wet but that coupon is tempting. :ohdear:

Is there still a bunch of yarn on sale?

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Wandering Knitter posted:

Uggggh it's cold and wet but that coupon is tempting. :ohdear:

Is there still a bunch of yarn on sale?

Looks like Kroy sock, stretch sock, Stitch Nation, Classic Wool & Wool-Ease are currently $4 per skein, and a bunch of baby baby stuff, some acrylics and fun fur are also on sale as well.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Argh my usual to ride to Michael's is busy with a friend in town. :(

Edit:

Oh man what do you guys think of the new Knitty? There are at least 4 or 5 patterns in it I'd love to knit! (Which is really odd, I usually don't like any of it or only one)

felgs fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 15, 2011

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

FelicityGS posted:

Oh man what do you guys think of the new Knitty? There are at least 4 or 5 patterns in it I'd love to knit! (Which is really odd, I usually don't like any of it or only one)

on god yes :hawaaaafap: that Rock Creek hat is so going on my to do list. I love that cape and a couple other things too. I've been debating a wedding shawl but couldn't ever find a pattern I liked, then BAM, adore Cartouche, but oh man the tiny tiny stitches...This makes up for the past few knitty's for sure.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Ah yes, the quarterly pain and horror of "trying to get the new knitty to load".

I never thought I would say this, but I really like that cape! It looks so cozy.

And I already queued up those Maeva socks. I have the perfect yarn for them too!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Huh. Normally I show up to bitch about knitty at this point, but I actually like the idea of the many cowls, and some of the hats are cute.

So um, good job knitty?

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Yeah, they've definitely been on a rough patch the past several issues. I feel the same way about interweave, but then it's possible that the ones I thought were so awesome were from when I was a newer knitter and didn't have so many resources and the like. Either way, it's a pretty good issue!

Besides, it's 100% free so if there's even one pattern I really like and make that's a steal I guess.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah, I too think they've been kind of rough. I can't remember a single pattern I wanted to knit in the past few issues. I actually like a few of the socks, hats, and I love those chrysanthemum mittens. (I have a thing for over the top colourwork mittens, ok?)

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I manage a fiber farm and while we're waiting for our sheep to finish growing out their wool we had some alpaca processed into yarn to sell. Unfortunately the mill made it all fingering weight which no one wants to buy. :argh:

This means I have 30 skeins of chocolate brown alpaca/merino blend sitting around gathering dust. Can anyone recommend any good beginner/intermediate patterns that use fingering weight yarn? My mom is usually the knitty person around here but with this much yarn I'm going to have to learn.

This A-hole is going to be worsted weight!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I manage a fiber farm and while we're waiting for our sheep to finish growing out their wool we had some alpaca processed into yarn to sell. Unfortunately the mill made it all fingering weight which no one wants to buy. :argh:

This means I have 30 skeins of chocolate brown alpaca/merino blend sitting around gathering dust. Can anyone recommend any good beginner/intermediate patterns that use fingering weight yarn? My mom is usually the knitty person around here but with this much yarn I'm going to have to learn.

I will share an incredible resource with you for the low low price of only half your alpacas and merinos.

Here's a teaser to see what you'll get if you just ship them to me:

Each page (148 pages) has 36 patterns, by the way. Really, do yourself a favor and get some of those fiber animals off your hands.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 18, 2011

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Nobody wants fingering weight alpaca/merino? :psyduck:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Nobody wants fingering weight alpaca/merino? :psyduck:

Seriously, I had someone gushing about it and planning on buying enough to make sweaters until she found out it was fingering weight :smith:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I'm sure us knitters could find a nice home for all of that yarn.

Or start a thread in SA-Mart.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I'm kind of surprised. All I knit is fingering weight. (if I didn't have a handspun project with fingering weight chocolate alpaca, I would buy some off of you. As it is, I'm up to my ears in chocolate alpaca fiber/yarn)

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Fingering weight comprises like 90% of my stash if not more. I knit a lot of socks.

Edit: you know, you could also hold it double if you want a heavier gauge, and Ravelry also lets you search projects by gauge so you could find one that way.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Guys, ssssh.

It really is sad you got all that gorgeous natural alpaca/merino spun to a thickness that absolutely nobody can stand. Just to get rid of it, you should probably sell it to us goons at around $1/skein.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

The only fingering weight yarn I currently own is chocolate brown. I think more people would buy it than you think :D

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Well I'm glad its not some horrible, useless length. I was getting really confused because I mostly just deal with the woolies and not the product. We have Jacob sheep right now and are getting angora goats this year to make mohair stuff, the alpaca and merino comes from our local farm buddies who are too lazy to get it processed.

I'll search ravelry, I know the farm has a page. I'll also make a SA-mart thread once I find out what sort of discounts I can offer goons.

I figured out how to cast on finally!

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

Anne Whateley posted:

Guys, ssssh.

It really is sad you got all that gorgeous natural alpaca/merino spun to a thickness that absolutely nobody can stand. Just to get rid of it, you should probably sell it to us goons at around $1/skein.

Yes yes, I will do you a favor and reluctantly take some off your hands.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande
I saw that Scott Pilgrim hat that another lady made for her husband a few pages back and tried my luck at it.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Since you guys suggested it I made a SA-mart thread and included some rovings I had sitting around too. A girl can really only make so many bars of felted soap.

I have figured out casting on and almost have the knit stitch. I'm mostly using Stitch'N Bitch and Knitting for Dummies because that's what my mom gave me. I broke a finger a couple of weeks ago which is making things challenging but I'm doing better than the last time I tried.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
I finished the penguin a couple days ago! Still not sure he's 100% right but my bro is in lurve with Tubby. After I took this pic I attached the feet at the front a bit so they weren't all floppy.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

He is the cutest little thing. :3:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Since you guys suggested it I made a SA-mart thread and included some rovings I had sitting around too. A girl can really only make so many bars of felted soap.

I want to learn to spin because I want to make yarn out of that fawn stuff so much. :3:

digitalscribbles
Jan 6, 2005

I'm a sillybean!
Is there a trick to the magic loop method of knitting? As in, everything except the ends are fine....the ends on both sides end up REALLY loose. I mean, it's like they are two inches long! I can't figure out how to tighten them up.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

zamiel posted:

I finished the penguin a couple days ago! Still not sure he's 100% right but my bro is in lurve with Tubby. After I took this pic I attached the feet at the front a bit so they weren't all floppy.

Aww, I love that!

Just saw this on craftzine's blog and thought I'd share:

http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2011/01/craft_pattern_lazy_weekend_swe.html

Looks like a pretty simple pattern with a decent result. I'm putting it on my to do list.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

digitalscribbles posted:

Is there a trick to the magic loop method of knitting? As in, everything except the ends are fine....the ends on both sides end up REALLY loose. I mean, it's like they are two inches long! I can't figure out how to tighten them up.

How long is the needle you're using? Sometimes if it's too short the cables will pull at the edge stitches and stretch them out.

Is the looseness at both ends of each each side? If it's just the beginning (like the first and second stitch you knit on each needle) try tightening up on the second stitch.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Why do I have to work all day Sunday? :sigh:

digitalscribbles
Jan 6, 2005

I'm a sillybean!

How long is the needle you're using? Sometimes if it's too short the cables will pull at the edge stitches and stretch them out.

Is the looseness at both ends of each each side? If it's just the beginning (like the first and second stitch you knit on each needle) try tightening up on the second stitch.
It's mainly at the beginning. Seriously it's a huge gap. I didn't think to try tightening on the second stitch though...I'm very new at this and just trying to figure it all out! lol

It's 36 inches, the longest I could find without ordering online. None of the craft stores have anything bigger! If I can't get it tight after trying to pull the second one, then I'll assume the length is too small and just move onto a different project.

I can't buy any new needles now, we are on a crazy tight budget (hubby will lose his job on the 31st) so I'll just practice techniques by knitting squares or something! lol Thank you!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

digitalscribbles posted:

It's mainly at the beginning. Seriously it's a huge gap. I didn't think to try tightening on the second stitch though...I'm very new at this and just trying to figure it all out! lol

It's 36 inches, the longest I could find without ordering online. None of the craft stores have anything bigger! If I can't get it tight after trying to pull the second one, then I'll assume the length is too small and just move onto a different project.

I can't buy any new needles now, we are on a crazy tight budget (hubby will lose his job on the 31st) so I'll just practice techniques by knitting squares or something! lol Thank you!

When you're knitting in the round the first stitch of a new needle is always kinda loose - it's just because the other side of the project is kinda pulling on it and it's awkward to knit with the other side of the cable being right there and stuff. You can pull as TIGHT as you want on the first one, it'll loosen right up when you go to the next. But if you snug up the second stitch it'll pull some extra from the first one and they'll both end up a little better. It's a very common problem!

A lot of people claim you have to have a 40 incher for magic loop but whatever, I say 36 is plenty unless you're trying to magic loop a whole sweater or something. In which case you have major problems. :)

And speaking of needles on a budget, if you join Ravelry there are groups where people swap things or sell their older needles for cheap, just fyi.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Also, after you block an item, it all evens up in the wash; usually that's where all my uneveness comes out.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Roflex posted:

Why do I have to work all day Sunday? :sigh:

I think I'm finally going to buy a winder with this 50% coupon at AC Moore...gonna frog this sweater I planned for MY EX GIRLFRIEND and redo it.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
I'm never doing another huge project on smaller needles, I swear to something. This is 30"x40", done on 6s. :suicide: My next blanket for my future nephew is being done on 17s with wool ease thick and quick, and if that makes me a bitch, I'll knit myself a medal, heh. Anyhoo...http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/reversable-basketweave-blanket is the pattern for this blanket. I'd rather see the weave go short ways than long ways if I ever brave having children and make another one.

zamiel fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 23, 2011

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande
^^^ Nice lookin' blankie, Zamiel! Just remind yourself of the cute little critter it will keep warm and soft. Liiiiitle itty bitty baby all wrapped up warm and cozy.... :)

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Way to go Zamiel! I don't think I'd have the stamina for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omgmypony
Oct 5, 2005

wii wii wii wii wii wii wii

http://rovingacres.com/sheep/ ?

Didn't know anyone from FHB posted here. :)