Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

babies havin rabies posted:

L4D2 doesn't recognize my GTS 450 either, but I don't see any problems in how it's running despite that.

I use a Logitech speakerphone for voice and I've never had complaints about feedback.

Perhaps its just nvidia's new drivers because all my source engine games are like this. When I start a game a pop up from Steam says it does not recognize the graphics hardware. All my games run great, I just have to manually set the graphics setting because it wants to default to the lowest settings. As for the mic, it seems using push to talk instead of having an open mic solves the problem of echo/reverberation. I didn't think of that before because I used to use a headset instead of headphones + desktop mic or speakers + desktop mic.

Devil Wears Wings: I actually played the Just Cause 2 demo on my PS3 but still liked it despite the fact I suck at aiming with an analog stick. I played the full game last night on my PC and mouse aiming almost makes the game too easy. Point and click = death incarnate.:hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaCharger
Jul 12, 2006
Animate
Are there any more games like King's Bounty? Basically I love the turn based strategy fight aspect of Heroes of Might and Magic but really don't like the base building aspect, especially when you have to rush everything or the enemy's army will get bigger too.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
I think King's Bounty is pretty much the only one that takes the HoMM formula and makes it all exploring. Granted I can't think of another game that copies HoMM.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Is the demo for Crysis 2 coming to PC or is the 360 going to keep getting every single loving timed exclusive just to spite me? I own a PS3 and Wii so don't treat me like a PC gaming warrior and I spent $200 for the retail version of Windows 7 so don't tell me I'm anti-Microsoft either. And I don't want to hear the excuse that "it's easier for them to make a console demo" bullshit. I thought Crysis 2 was going to be a PC game first but a console game second. Sorry for the rant I'm just sick and tired of the 360 getting everything first on a silver loving platter.:rant:

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

spasticColon posted:

Got my GTX 460 and Logitech USB desktop microphone today so now I'm set.:pcgaming:

I just bought a GTX 460 too :pcgaming:

Anything special about the PNY "Enthusiast Edition"?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Vertigus posted:

I just bought a GTX 460 too :pcgaming:

Anything special about the PNY "Enthusiast Edition"?

I got the MSI HAWK GTX 460 so I don't know about the PNY one. My card has one of those whizzbang coolers with the heatpipes and aluminum fins on the heatpipes. Keeps the factory overclocked GPU in the mid 60s Celsius under full load with the fans on the cooler at the lowest setting which is awesome.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

spasticColon posted:

I got the MSI HAWK GTX 460 so I don't know about the PNY one. My card has one of those whizzbang coolers with the heatpipes and aluminum fins on the heatpipes. Keeps the factory overclocked GPU in the mid 60s Celsius under full load with the fans on the cooler at the lowest setting which is awesome.

Mine's got a nice insulator around the fan, so it keeps the chips nice and toasty so the bits flow faster.

(It also might make the fan work better)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm finally just going to ask this here and drat the consequences:

Whenever I get talking about PC gaming with a controller, the inevitable conversation is (abbreviated)

me: controller
whoever: mouse+keyboard controller lol
me: sofa
whoever: wireless m+k

I've been avoiding the obvious question up until now but HOW? Balancing the keyboard on your lap and running the mouse on a mouse pad on the sofa? Lounging on the sofa with the keyboard in front of you and the mouse on your stomach? How are you people doing it? I've been going over and over it in my head and I can't figure out a comfortable way.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

averox posted:

I think King's Bounty is pretty much the only one that takes the HoMM formula and makes it all exploring. Granted I can't think of another game that copies HoMM.

The Disciples series. That series is even more simplistic than the HoMM games though. Just play HoMM3 until you die.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Whenever I get talking about PC gaming with a controller, the inevitable conversation is (abbreviated)

I've been avoiding the obvious question up until now but HOW? Balancing the keyboard on your lap and running the mouse on a mouse pad on the sofa? Lounging on the sofa with the keyboard in front of you and the mouse on your stomach? How are you people doing it? I've been going over and over it in my head and I can't figure out a comfortable way.

Use a laptop tray.

My TV is right next to my monitor, so I don't use one myself, but it seems like the most sensible way.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Samurai Sanders posted:

I just put a book down and lay the mouse pad on that.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh, both of those involve sitting up straight. The whole idea of a sofa is that I am lounging sideways. If I wanted to sit up straight, sitting at my desk would be the same thing and there wouldn't be any advantage to the sofa.

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Edit: Nevermind, answered elsewhere.

Skunk Ape fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 23, 2011

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh, both of those involve sitting up straight. The whole idea of a sofa is that I am lounging sideways. If I wanted to sit up straight, sitting at my desk would be the same thing and there wouldn't be any advantage to the sofa.

Yeah, I'm with Sanders here on this one. Gaming time tends to be chill time for me, so I don't like sitting up while trying to relax. Luckily, if a game doesn't support a controller, I can vouch for Xpadder. It's been worth the ten bucks I paid for it, honestly. Use it for a ton of things.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Edoraz posted:

Yeah, I'm with Sanders here on this one. Gaming time tends to be chill time for me, so I don't like sitting up while trying to relax. Luckily, if a game doesn't support a controller, I can vouch for Xpadder. It's been worth the ten bucks I paid for it, honestly. Use it for a ton of things.
Yeah, I bought xpadder a few months ago and use it for quite a few things (including controlling Windows easily while lying on the sofa) but, though it can theoretically make any game playable with a controller, if it's a game that is entirely cursor driven, or a game that uses tons of keys, it won't be much fun to play.

The Witcher is such an example, I've been messing around with xpadder configs for some time trying to get that to work well, but hell, the control scheme isn't even really set up very well for a mouse and keyboard either.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 23, 2011

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
Would this work? I imagine the mouse would be the tricky part of playing on a couch, so you could put it on the surface integrated into this keyboard, which in turn just rests on whatever horizontal body surface your posture permits. Otherwise, you could try an "air mouse", but I don't know if they're any good for games, or even how they work exactly. If the keyboard is the real impediment, I guess your best bet is one of those air mice and either something compact, similar to a Nostromo, although I think you might have to set them down. If you want to be really convoluted, you could hunt down a PS1 ASCII Grip and a PS1-to-PC adapter for it -- I'm not aware of anything like it for the PC. Doing that with an air mouse, it'd be kind of like a Wii, now that I think about it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

I lie on my bed personally. Always worked for me.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Spaz Medicine posted:

My TV is right next to my monitor, so I don't use one myself, but it seems like the most sensible way.
I just lay sideways on the sofa (head towards the right side when "sitting"), the monitor's on a table in front of my face, the keyboard is rested on my lap, the side of the couch seat acts as a mouse pad, other times the keyboard (wired) and mouse (wireless) take turns being atop the relatively flat (other times outward/upward-curving) top of a backpack.

As an alternative, I have a wall mount that cost $25 but may or may not fit said monitor. :(

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
It seems like PC games often don't get demos these days, and you certainly can't rent physical copies any more, but Direct2Drive have started to charge $5 to rent a game for 5 hours here:

http://www.direct2drive.com/Search.aspx?SearchTerm=rentals

Only 3 games there so far, but it might catch on. It does feel a bit like paying for a demo though.

Konsek fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jan 23, 2011

sinep
Feb 3, 2007
Does anoyone have any experience with this?
http://www.buy.com/prod/igugu-pc-to-tv-motion-sensing-gaming-solution-gaming-pad-wireless/q/sellerid/11408470/loc/108/217152041.html

It's basically an Xbox 360 w/chatpad knock off, but that trackball seems to have potential. If it works well, that could be a solution to "couch conundrum".

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Konsek posted:

It seems like PC games often don't get demos these days, and you certainly can't rent physical copies any more, but Direct2Drive have started to charge $5 to rent a game for 5 hours here:

http://www.direct2drive.com/Search.aspx?SearchTerm=rentals

Only 3 games there so far, but it might catch on. It does feel a bit like paying for a demo though.

Some people pirate games just to see if they can run on their crappy computers because there's no demo to download. Demos could help fix that issue somewhat, unless they decide to put root-kit installing DRM on the demos as well, like they did with Bioshock.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 23, 2011

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

sinep posted:

Does anoyone have any experience with this?
http://www.buy.com/prod/igugu-pc-to-tv-motion-sensing-gaming-solution-gaming-pad-wireless/q/sellerid/11408470/loc/108/217152041.html

It's basically an Xbox 360 w/chatpad knock off, but that trackball seems to have potential. If it works well, that could be a solution to "couch conundrum".

Interesting. It'd be nice for casual gaming, or for games that don't rely too heavily on a cursor.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Source-based games I have (Half Life 2, L4D2, TF2) have native support for gamepads. The problem is, whatever console-based FPSs do to make precision aiming possible, those games aren't doing it. No matter where I set the sensitivity, aiming is just impossible, and I can't put my finger on why.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Source-based games I have (Half Life 2, L4D2, TF2) have native support for gamepads. The problem is, whatever console-based FPSs do to make precision aiming possible, those games aren't doing it. No matter where I set the sensitivity, aiming is just impossible, and I can't put my finger on why.

Because you don't have auto-aim in PC games.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Because you don't have auto-aim in PC games.
That may be part of it, but I think it is more about some subtle way that stick movement acceleration works. Like, Windows has that "enhance mouse precision" feature, I think that console FPSs are using that and the Source PC games aren't, or they are using it wrong, or something.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

averox posted:

Age of Wonders 2, available on Good Old Games. I recommend Shadow Magic as well.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I've been noticing that there's often a 1 pixel 'border' around my screen when I'm playing games, sometimes only on the top and left side of the screen. Sometimes it's only noticeable during cutscenes or when the screen is mostly dark, but it's annoying to have a bright 1px border around an otherwise dark image on the screen.

What would cause that and how can I fix it? I have a Radeon 5870 and a 24" Asus monitor. Is there some sort of overscan setting I should be playing around with in the Catalyst drivers? I currently have it set at 0% overscan.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Forcing AA can do that among other things, that would be my first guess.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

MegaCharger posted:

Are there any more games like King's Bounty? Basically I love the turn based strategy fight aspect of Heroes of Might and Magic but really don't like the base building aspect, especially when you have to rush everything or the enemy's army will get bigger too.

A bit late, but I'm quite similar to you, and I figured out a little 'trick' to get around this.

A lot of HoMM games come with a map maker, and I'm pretty sure 3 also had a random map maker. What I used to do was generate a random large map with 2 players, and then with the map editor put a level 5 monster in front of the enemy castle's door while looking at as little of the map as possible. That way they're just basically stuck in their base, and you're free to rome around and enjoy the exploration side of the game.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

K8.0 posted:

Forcing AA can do that among other things, that would be my first guess.

Ah, that's likely the cause, thanks!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Starhawk64 posted:

Some people pirate games just to see if they can run on their crappy computers because there's no demo to download. Demos could help fix that issue somewhat, unless they decide to put root-kit installing DRM on the demos as well, like they did with Bioshock.

This still isn't a good reason to do it.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Are there any good games out right now that take true advantage of DirectX 11 video cards?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

spasticColon posted:

Are there any good games out right now that take true advantage of DirectX 11 video cards?

How recent? Because Metro 2033 is the best one I can think of.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

How recent? Because Metro 2033 is the best one I can think of.

I was asking if there any good games that take true advantage of DX11 regardless of when they came out. Like supporting Tessellation and other goodies like that. I've heard of Metro 2033 and like Crysis it can bring the most powerful systems to their knees at times.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Samurai Sanders posted:

My guess is that it doesn't have aim acceleration - i.e., tilt the stick all the way over for a split second to look a little bit over, but if you hold it longer in the same space you whip around really fast - basically similar to mouse acceleration.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

"Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most..."

spasticColon posted:

I was asking if there any good games that take true advantage of DX11 regardless of when they came out. Like supporting Tessellation and other goodies like that. I've heard of Metro 2033 and like Crysis it can bring the most powerful systems to their knees at times.

Metro 2033 is a beast, but looks great with advanced DoF and tesselation, with the settings cranked up. But you need a power rig to run it at a decent framrate. I managed to get an average 60 fps but that was with two 580's SLI and a 460 doing the physx. The game itself is decent so you can't go wrong.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Manac0r posted:

Metro 2033 is a beast, but looks great with advanced DoF and tesselation, with the settings cranked up. But you need a power rig to run it at a decent framrate. I managed to get an average 60 fps but that was with two 580's SLI and a 460 doing the physx. The game itself is decent so you can't go wrong.

drat. How far would a single 460 get me for graphics settings in the game? Could I have tessellation turned on or is that out of the question? I don't really care about PhysX.

Edit: I looked at some screenshots of Metro 2033 and the game looks stunning to say the least but I'm guessing those screens were captured at max settings.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jan 24, 2011

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Manac0r posted:

The latest AvP does DX11 as well - couldn't tell you what sort of horsepower you need to get it running smoothly though.

Also, Metro 2033 is playable on my 5770 so you can probably get plenty of mileage out of a 460.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
The latest AvP game does not make much use of tessellation. If I'm not mistaken, the only thing in that game that utilizes that feature is the xenomorph model.

Also, the game kind of sucks now because it was completely ruined by it's support post launch. Not a great deal of people still play the online mode, which is lame because it was once very fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
It's too bad trackballs never really hit it off because they loving own for laying on the couch playing games. I have fond memories of playing Diablo 2 this way.

• Locked thread