Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Here's a tip if you're an irssi user and switch over to XFCE. XFCE terminal is different from GNOME terminal so make sure you go to Preferences->Shortcuts and disable alt-<number> for switching tabs. Or you won't be able to switch windows in irssi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Here's a tip if you're an irssi user and switch over to XFCE. XFCE terminal is different from GNOME terminal so make sure you go to Preferences->Shortcuts and disable alt-<number> for switching tabs. Or you won't be able to switch windows in irssi.
I rebind all Alt+Number to be Alt+Shift+Number. Even then I mostly use Alt-LeftArrow or Alt-RightArrow to switch windows in irssi.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Bob Morales posted:

You can still switch windows with by pressing esc and then pressing the number (plus q, w, e etc. for 11, 12, 13).

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Dinty Moore posted:

Hm, I'm definitely not seeing this; what does:

code:
ls /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/fs/nls/
say? It's definitely a kernel module, and it's present on both the Ubuntu systems I have in front of my (my workstation and my netbook, both running 10.10).

An old fashioned reboot fixed it, at which time it did boot into a new minor # kernel version. I was on .24 before, now it has .25. Oh well.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

I've been trying to figure out why service mysqld status on these RHEL systems keeps returning "mysqld dead but subsys locked" when MySQL is not in fact dead, so I made the mistake of taking a look at the various shell functions that the mysqld init script calls to check status. From /etc/init.d/functions, there is this thing inside the status() function:
code:
local base pid pid_file=

base=${1##*/}
What the hell is this assignment to base? I have no idea what is going on here other than that it looks like the special variable from hell.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

It's a bash shell parameter expansion. I'm deciphering, but I think it means the parameter in the first position (1) and use bash's filename expansion (##) to match the word */. It probably expands to the base directory for mysqld, depending on what that first parameter is when that script is running.

Shell parameter expansion

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Anyone familiar enough with conky to know why I can't get the DS-Digital font to work in it for the time display?
It is a true type font and was suggested on someones conky example I found somewhere. If I change the font to something else it changes to that one fine so the parameters are correct. I have restarted a few times and even killed the conky process and restarted it and it still doesn't show as the correct font.

Click here for the full 1680x1050 image.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

bort posted:

It's a bash shell parameter expansion. I'm deciphering, but I think it means the parameter in the first position (1) and use bash's filename expansion (##) to match the word */. It probably expands to the base directory for mysqld, depending on what that first parameter is when that script is running.

Shell parameter expansion

Actually you got it backwards, it trims the path leaving the filename, ie. "/long/path/to/file" becomes just "file".

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

OgNar posted:

Anyone familiar enough with conky to know why I can't get the DS-Digital font to work in it for the time display?
It is a true type font and was suggested on someones conky example I found somewhere. If I change the font to something else it changes to that one fine so the parameters are correct. I have restarted a few times and even killed the conky process and restarted it and it still doesn't show as the correct font.
Have you tried entering it as "DS-Digital" instead of "ds-digital"?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Zom Aur posted:

Have you tried entering it as "DS-Digital" instead of "ds-digital"?
That was how I had it at first, I last tried it in lowercase just to see. Is it possible to somehow have screwed up installing the font?

e: No, that doesn't seem to be it.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 25, 2011

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

OgNar posted:

That was how I had it at first, I last tried it in lowercase just to see. Is it possible to somehow have screwed up installing the font?

Where is it located, exactly?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Zom Aur posted:

Where is it located, exactly?

Font-Manager installed it into /home/og/.fonts/Library/D but I uninstalled it from there and tried plain old /usr/share/fonts/truetype which also didn't work, though the font worked for open office either way.
I think I'll just let it go for now. I've always had weird problems with conky. It was stuck around 600 pixels height for like a year and a half for no reason and then about a week ago I blinked and noticed that there was more text there all of a sudden. Text that I put in as a test a while back when I tried working on it again.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

OgNar posted:

Font-Manager installed it into /home/og/.fonts/Library/D but I uninstalled it from there and tried plain old /usr/share/fonts/truetype which also didn't work, though the font worked for open office either way.
I think I'll just let it go for now. I've always had weird problems with conky. It was stuck around 600 pixels height for like a year and a half for no reason and then about a week ago I blinked and noticed that there was more text there all of a sudden. Text that I put in as a test a while back when I tried working on it again.
Well, conky can read from /usr/share/fonts/truetype on my machine, but you could also try /usr/share/fonts/TTF I suppose.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

spoon0042 posted:

Actually you got it backwards, it trims the path leaving the filename, ie. "/long/path/to/file" becomes just "file".
Is this because */ means "glob everything until the final slash"? Just trying to get this correct in my head.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

OgNar posted:

Have you tried ${xftfont DS-Digital}

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

bort posted:

Is this because */ means "glob everything until the final slash"? Just trying to get this correct in my head.

${1##*/} does, yes. including the slash. There's also ${1#*/} which only matches and trims to the first slash. Or as the bash manpage says "the result of the expansion is the expanded value of parameter with the shortest matching pattern (the "#" case) or the longest matching pattern (the "##" case) deleted."

Also, % and %% trim the end of a parameter in a similar fashion.

SynVisions
Jun 29, 2003

Does anyone know how to effectively reset a card in a PCIe slot (not graphics in this case). I know this sounds like overkill, but it's necessary in this case (reloading the device driver for it is not sufficient). The current solution involves rebooting the entire machine, but it is my understanding that this slot might be hot swappable and thus there should be some way to do this more elegantly? So far I haven't had any luck via google.

SynVisions fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 25, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Haven't timed any kernel builds in a while...

My VMware server doesn't seem to omnipotent anymore.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

darkhand posted:

Have you tried ${xftfont DS-Digital}

That just prints ${xftfont} in front of the time.

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007
I'm looking for a distro which can run on old, Pentium 3 level hardware but at the same time is friendly to people who are used to Windows, what would you recommend? It would be great if it included the functionality that Puppy has where it can run in RAM while you reburn the live CD to a CDRW. I realize of course that this contradicts the first goal, since a pentium 3 wouldn't have the RAM for it; it's just that I intended to do a little fine tuning of it before installing it on all my computer illiterate compatriots' systems, and I don't have the expertise to make my own distro. Thank you in advance for the help!

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Well, Ubuntu runs fine on my 900mhz Celeron netbook, although that's probably not the best choice. I've heard good things about Mint and usability.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

furiouskoala posted:

I'm looking for a distro which can run on old, Pentium 3 level hardware but at the same time is friendly to people who are used to Windows, what would you recommend? It would be great if it included the functionality that Puppy has where it can run in RAM while you reburn the live CD to a CDRW. I realize of course that this contradicts the first goal, since a pentium 3 wouldn't have the RAM for it; it's just that I intended to do a little fine tuning of it before installing it on all my computer illiterate compatriots' systems, and I don't have the expertise to make my own distro. Thank you in advance for the help!

How much RAM? 256MB is really the bare minimum, use Ubuntu/Fedora with XFCE.

You could probably find some Pentium 3 SDRAM for free or almost free.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

furiouskoala posted:

How much ram are we talking about?

Lubuntu runs on 128MB, so that's a possibility if you're not comfortable customizing arch or debian.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

OgNar posted:

Did you rebuild your fontconfig cache after you installed it (man fc-cache)? Does it show up in other applications?

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009
Situation:
My .edu has several hundred network printers, mostly HP 4015s and 9050s, on a smb print server.
I'm looking for a way to automate the driver installation, and unfortunately most of my googling has returned directions for installing printers via the Ubuntu GUI.
Is there an easy way to script printer installations?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

angrytech posted:

Situation:
My .edu has several hundred network printers, mostly HP 4015s and 9050s, on a smb print server.
I'm looking for a way to automate the driver installation, and unfortunately most of my googling has returned directions for installing printers via the Ubuntu GUI.
Is there an easy way to script printer installations?

How many clients? Is it a Windows printer server of a Unix print server running Samba? Either way CUPS is your answer. Set up a CUPS server to point to the printer (or the Windows printer share, assuming you're running 2008R2 and the printers have LPD turned on, and you need windows printer accounting) and then push out a client.conf to all the hosts. Then all your configuration is done on the print server.

Although that means that every Ubuntu user is going to see every printer in CUPS when they try and print through a GUI.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

On a similar note...

When you share a printer on the network with Windows, there's an option in the GUI to add drivers for other operating systems (usually older versions of Windows). When clients add the shared printer, they get the driver from the PC sharing the printer.

Is there a way to add Windows drivers to an Ubuntu machine sharing a printer to emulate the above scenario?

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

How many clients? Is it a Windows printer server of a Unix print server running Samba? Either way CUPS is your answer. Set up a CUPS server to point to the printer (or the Windows printer share, assuming you're running 2008R2 and the printers have LPD turned on, and you need windows printer accounting) and then push out a client.conf to all the hosts. Then all your configuration is done on the print server.

Although that means that every Ubuntu user is going to see every printer in CUPS when they try and print through a GUI.

The print server is a Windows 2008 box.
This is being done in parallel to the current infrastructure that we have in place, and I don't have access to the server, so this all has to be on the client side.
Actually, I just figured out most of what I want to do.
http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.4/sharing.html gave me the information I need.
Thanks you guys

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Thermopyle posted:

On a similar note...

When you share a printer on the network with Windows, there's an option in the GUI to add drivers for other operating systems (usually older versions of Windows). When clients add the shared printer, they get the driver from the PC sharing the printer.

Is there a way to add Windows drivers to an Ubuntu machine sharing a printer to emulate the above scenario?

Yes, but it's a huge pain in the rear end. You need to run a SAMBA server along with the CUPS server, and basically tear your hair out and realize that if you're in an environment that installing the drivers by hand is too time consuming, then you're time to figure it out is worth more than the cost of a Windows license to get poo poo done right.

And I say that not as a troll, but somebody that's done it from both sides. CUPS just isn't ready to handle a big printer setup (I think the devs even mention that). Maybe it will get better with Apple owning it and throwing some money at it, but I highly doubt it, since most of the problems come from the Windows/Samba side, and Apple doesn't give a gently caress.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

FISHMANPET posted:

Yes, but it's a huge pain in the rear end. You need to run a SAMBA server along with the CUPS server, and basically tear your hair out and realize that if you're in an environment that installing the drivers by hand is too time consuming, then you're time to figure it out is worth more than the cost of a Windows license to get poo poo done right.

And I say that not as a troll, but somebody that's done it from both sides. CUPS just isn't ready to handle a big printer setup (I think the devs even mention that). Maybe it will get better with Apple owning it and throwing some money at it, but I highly doubt it, since most of the problems come from the Windows/Samba side, and Apple doesn't give a gently caress.

I'm going to agree. I hosed with samba+cups at home just to try and loving get poo poo working before I did a work test. I could never get the drivers to autoload no matter what motherfucking goddamn son of a bitch way I loaded for them.

I ended up just hand loading the drivers to the computers needing to print, and saying gently caress it at work and loading print server up on one of the win servers.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Did any other Ubuntu user's ethernet jack stop working after downloading a few updates and rebooting?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

rt4 posted:

Did any other Ubuntu user's ethernet jack stop working after downloading a few updates and rebooting?
What did you update?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

rt4 posted:

My ethernet jack was randomly reporting that it was disconnected over the past few weeks. It started happening every couple days, then once a day, then it was doing it 2-3 times over the course of an 8hr workday. I would have to unplug it, wait a minute, then plug it back in. I was starting to think my network controller hardware was failing. It hasn't done it in the past few days though, so maybe it was a funky update that got fixed? :iiam:

BTW, i'm on a Lenovo W510, which uses Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82577LM Gigabit Network Connection (rev 06)

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 28, 2011

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

peepsalot posted:

My ethernet jack was randomly reporting that it was disconnected over the past few weeks. It started happening every couple days, then once a day, then it was doing it 2-3 times over the course of an 8hr workday. I would have to unplug it, wait a minute, then plug it back in. I was starting to think my network controller hardware was failing. It hasn't done it in the past few days though, so maybe it was a funky update that got fixed? :iiam:

BTW, i'm on a Lenovo W510, which uses Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82577LM Gigabit Network Connection (rev 06)

Same here on a low-rent t61p, I started removing/reloading e1000e upon resume about a month ago. I also have a t41p that causes a kernel oops now if plugged in, with an obviously older driver and may just be a coincidence.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Is there a recommended or preferred OCR program for linux? Ubuntu package manager seems to have quite a few to choose from.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

For OCRing stuff with extremely consistent text (eg, game screenshots) I like gOCR, as it's entirely command line and can be trained.

If you're OCRing actual hand-written or scanned stuff, I have no idea, though. My usual approach to this is to install everything and try it, then uninstall the ones I didn't like.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

enotnert posted:

I'm going to agree. I hosed with samba+cups at home just to try and loving get poo poo working before I did a work test. I could never get the drivers to autoload no matter what motherfucking goddamn son of a bitch way I loaded for them.

I ended up just hand loading the drivers to the computers needing to print, and saying gently caress it at work and loading print server up on one of the win servers.

I learned that you can have CUPS advertise a raw device with IPP (driver=RAW or somesuch) and then have your Windows clients print to that. It still requires you install the driver on the Windows client, but it never touches Samba, which is great, because Samba sucks for printing.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

code:
/usr/include/QtCore/qatomic_arch.h:92:4: error: #error "Qt has not been ported to this architecture"
:argh:

Fedora 14. I have installed "KDE Development Tools" and qt3-devel

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009
So I'm going through Linux from Scratch at the moment, and I'm learning quite a bit. I'm finding it hilarious how inconsistent the book is at explaining what you're doing. It just coddled me through a "for" loop, but doesn't even bother to explain what the actual purpose of linkers and loaders are, and doesn't hesitate to reference them every paragraph. You also never have to figure out a command for yourself, but when instructing you to perform a sanity check:

quote:

If the output is not shown as above or there was no output at all, then something is wrong. Investigate and retrace the steps to find out where the problem is and correct it. This issue must be resolved before continuing on. Something may have gone wrong with the specs file amendment above. In this case, redo the specs file amendment, being careful to copy-and-paste the commands.

Yeah hang on and let me just "find out what the problem is." Thanks book.

Getting annoying having to type all these commands in, since I'm building from a the LFS Live CD and a virtual machine. Makes it slightly stressful because one typo and I might have to start over. I have no idea how to troubleshoot and resolve issues, and google results for a couple of issues I had early on returned no fruitful results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Is there anything similar to roaming profiles on windows, or at the least an easy way to share the home folders for 3-4 account across several computers? The ways that come to mind are just using something like rsync, but I don't know how well that would work across several computers at once, instead of backing up one folder to one place.