Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

It's been mentioned, but 10 O'Clock Live really doesn't need to be live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Of course, what they really should do is pay John Bird and John Fortune merry bushels of cash, and turn E4 into The George Parr Channel.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
I can't think of any satirist in the UK under 40, which is probably why there aren't any on 10OCL.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
Should've got Andy Zaltzman.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I thought last night's Fast and Loose was a lot better than the first one. Of course, it helped a ton that Wayne Brady was there, but it was pretty much funnier all round. Only one of the ideas really flopped for me - the double speak one. Apart from that it was good fun.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
I think the problem with Episodes is that it's about the inside of television. It seems to self-satisfied and smug and the writers seem like they're very obvious inserts of themselves in a situation that they'd love to be in and they'd be oh so witty and stuff. Also I'm not that big on profanity in comedy and the stream that pissed itself up the wall for a terrible, lovely, boring and entirely obvious punchline at the end of episode 2 has rather put me off. As well as that there's a rather unfunny joke where they basically go "Hey look! It's Joey from friends! And we had him say gently caress. Tee hee aren't we such minx's?"

Saying BLOODY oval office FUCKY POO BUM WEE WEE FARTYPANTS is not funny. Sorry.

Sion fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 22, 2011

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
Fast & Loose was much better then last week, and not just because of Wayne Brady. It's great how they're giving these young female comedians a chance to be on TV, since they're never really allowed on panel shows. (I loved the double speaking bit)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm tempted to watch it, sounds pretty good now. Plus I do enjoy Wayne Brady.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

reality_groove posted:

They should bring in bring in guest comedians who have satirical backgrounds such as Andy Zaltzman, Marcus Brigstocke etc. who are used to riffing on current events. It would be brilliant if they could get someone to represent the Conservative viewpoint. All British comedy is very left wing at the moment, we need somoene from the other side even if it's in a Colbert style pastiche.

The country has a right wing establishment and currently a right wing government. Satirising them doesn't automatically make you left wing.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Psybro posted:

Sarah Palin did basically kill some people in the fortnight prior to the show, it'll probably get more topical as it goes on.

I'm aware of that, the problem is that the segment on her never really insinuated that link at all. It was just a generic "Palin is crazy, haw haw haw" segment.

Star Wars Episode 3 on STV just now. I forgot how loving terrible Anakin's switch to the Dark Side was. "ooh, i'm conflicted. Aww gently caress it, EVIL MODE" *murders some children*

Kin fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 22, 2011

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Anakin wasn't evil, he was just incredibly lazy and impatient like dem kids today!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

"Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo"

Haha, this film is up there with The Room in terms of terrible.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Junkenstein posted:

It's been mentioned, but 10 O'Clock Live really doesn't need to be live.

Well, it does, or else it would just be called '10 O'Clock' which is a terrible name.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010

Kin posted:

"Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo"

I actually cringed.

I haven't re watched the prequels since I was a child (Phantom Menace was released when I was 7), but I've been watching 'em back this month on ITV. It used to be that I always thought people were just being nostalgic when saying the prequels were poo poo. Having actually seen them again... Well, I have enjoyed them (because they're terrible) but the only thing that I actually appreciate more this time is how awesome all those get ups the fake queen has to wear are.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Pretty off topic but if you've not heard of them, there is a guy who did video reviews all three Star Wars prequels. He utterly, totally, obliterates them, I mean, really tears them to shreds.

They're long (1 hour, 1h20, 1h40) and you're probably thinking "A review of a film thats longer than the film? gently caress that, who would do make such a dumb thing, and who would be dumber to watch it ?" but I promise you that they are well worth it, and they are very funny too.

Mr Plinkett of Red Letter Media

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

The only remotely enjoyable part of the prequels is Ian McDiarmid's performance in the third one where he throws all pretences of there being anything good about the films out of the window and hams it up to an amazing degree.

I saw all three of those bloody films in the cinema out of some sense of obligation, I'm never sitting through them again.

vvv The problem with a lot of CGI is it doesn't date in a "quaint" way like practical effects do, like models or puppets or whatever, it just looks flat and weird after a few years instead.

Crackerman fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 22, 2011

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
The worst thing was the CGI, half the film looked like I was watching a sci-fi Pixar movie or something.

I really hope there's a popular backlash against computerised special effects, and we start seeing awesome puppets and models and what not again. Nothing ruins immersion more than a film looking like a PS2 game.

phujck
Apr 24, 2010

I keep coming here out of some misplaced sense of history, but I don't /want/ to be here.

justcola posted:

Thanks for writing that, I was a little bored by the first half hour and just got up the stephen hawking bit when I decided to have a nap. I wish Horizon would get over the double slit experiment, gosh. I'm not sure if it's because of the stuff I watch but it's been in pretty much all of them with various degrees of cgi.

I quite liked Nathan Barley. But I'm an art student so see/saw a lot of what they were riffing on. Welcome to creativilization.

The double slit experiment is not something you can "get over". The Copenhagen interpretation is pretty loving agnostic about what's going on, which is problematic when you can get the result not just using electrons, but freaking bucky balls. Those are big molecules- if they experience quantum effects too, it makes it all the more loving mysterious why we don't. Decoherence theory is not as convincing as it should be!

tl,dr;

Double slit experiment is very important, and it's the go to example for a much bigger interpretational issue.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

The missing Buzzcocks episode was great. Really reminds you why Amstel was so much better than the ridiculous string of guest hosts.

But wasn't Manda Rin on the line up a couple of years ago?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Crackerman posted:

The only remotely enjoyable part of the prequels is Ian McDiarmid's performance in the third one where he throws all pretences of there being anything good about the films out of the window and hams it up to an amazing degree.

I saw all three of those bloody films in the cinema out of some sense of obligation, I'm never sitting through them again.

vvv The problem with a lot of CGI is it doesn't date in a "quaint" way like practical effects do, like models or puppets or whatever, it just looks flat and weird after a few years instead.

The problem with the noooooo is that you're expecting some kind of rage fueled scream, but he's screaming no like a prissy little bitch.

I dunno, i thought Ewan McGreggor's Obiwan was pretty damned fantastic. I would have said that was the only good thing to emerge from the prequels. The entire last fight was good up until how it ended. Obiwan won because he was standing a bit higher up on a slope :what:

It has put me in the mood for watching episode 4-6 though (or at the very least playing lego star wars again).

edit: Primevil is also terrible. How on earth do i get into TV so i can fix all of this bollocks? :colbert:

Kin fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 22, 2011

seregrail7
Nov 3, 2006

Cerv posted:

The missing Buzzcocks episode was great. Really reminds you why Amstel was so much better than the ridiculous string of guest hosts.

Yes it was fantastic. What was good was that if you liked his style(I understand some didn't) it was entertaining every week because of him even with poor guests, but now it relies on good guests and a good host. Sometimes it's a shame when what seems like a good guest is wasted by being on when there's a bad host.

DaWolfey posted:

Pretty off topic but if you've not heard of them, there is a guy who did video reviews all three Star Wars prequels. He utterly, totally, obliterates them, I mean, really tears them to shreds.

Mr Plinkett of Red Letter Media

These are fantastic, totally spot on and also incredibly funny.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Kin posted:

The problem with the noooooo is that you're expecting some kind of rage fueled scream, but he's screaming no like a prissy little bitch.

I dunno, i thought Ewan McGreggor's Obiwan was pretty damned fantastic. I would have said that was the only good thing to emerge from the prequels.

The entire last fight was good up until how it ended. Obiwan won because he was standing a bit higher up on a slope :what:

It has put me in the mood for watching episode 4-6 though (or at the very least playing lego star wars again).

McGregor's performance is the only one that feels anything like the character from the original trilogy. Even Yoda seems like a totally different person or green goblin thing or whatever.

I actually watched the originals yesterday for the first time in years, the un-remastered ones that were released as bonus material on the 2004 DVD's, and I really enjoyed them. You can start to see some of the problems of the prequels creeping into Return of the Jedi though, but the final showdown with Vader, Luke and the Emperor is fantastic.

Sorry to keep feeding the derail.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
An allo allo documentary, fantastic. New scenes not so much.

good moaning.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!
drat, I was hoping they would make Dappy from endubbs disappear and then not bring him back.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Gram-O-Phone posted:

drat, I was hoping they would make Dappy from endubbs disappear and then not bring him back.

Dappy owns he just doesn't give a gently caress. How can anyone hate him?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

LE0N posted:

Because he's an ignorant little thug who likes to make death threats againsst people ? And his music is poo poo.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Cerv posted:

But wasn't Manda Rin on the line up a couple of years ago?

Yeah, I'm sure I've seen her somewhat recently.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

HoldYourFire posted:

Yeah, I'm sure I've seen her somewhat recently.

Shockingly Wikipedia has deleted List_of_Identity_Parade_guests_on_Never_Mind_the_Buzzcocks
But google seems to think she was on in November last year. For not-Phil's team both times.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Because he's an ignorant little thug who likes to make death threats againsst people ? And his music is poo poo.

I like his bad boy attitude :allears: :3: :swoon:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Plus he's thick as gently caress and thinks he's hard or something.
He's about as intimidating as a school kid.

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
Will anybody ever pick Jo Jo in Take Me Out??

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Naw. That manly thing shoe does with the thumb up/weird face is too much of a turn off.
Also that Irish lad on the date was proper hilarious.
I love this stupid show.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

LE0N posted:

Because men who text death threats to Journalists revealing to the public what shallow cunts they are pretty much are universally despised.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Because men who text death threats to Journalists revealing to the public what shallow cunts they are pretty much are universally despised.

What is a harmless death threat between friends, eh?

Uncertain Frog
Jul 28, 2006

What happens if a large asteroid hits Earth? Judging from simulations involving a hammer and a frog, we can assume it will be bad.
Really enjoying Fast and Loose, there were a few duff rounds last week but everyone of them in the latest episode had me laughing like an idiot, the rewind and double speak games especially. Wayne Brady was great so hopefully a few other Whose Line members will make an appearence at some point.

I'll continue to look forward to this each week, which I haven't been able to say about a TV show since Top Gear (also for Laura Solon and her cute half-arsed dance she does during the dancing round).

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Mike McIntorycunt wins best male tv comedian.

(against harry hill and david mitchell)

edit: British Comedy Awards, CH4.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

King Crab posted:

Will anybody ever pick Jo Jo in Take Me Out??

If it comes to a choice of her or Lucy, yes. (I haven't seen tonight's ep, please don't prove me wrong world!)

Uncertain Frog posted:

(also for Laura Solon and her cute half-arsed dance she does during the dancing round)

She dances like FemShep, it's ace

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

DaWolfey posted:

David mitchell isn't even that funny outside of peep show , he has one routine and does it every-time. Maybe he was hilarious back in 2005 when he got on his soapbox first i guess.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

DaWolfey posted:

:suicide:

Death. Of. Comedy.

edit: I guess it really pays off if you turn up as an act with a gimmicky form of presentation regurgitating the same generalist jokes that everyone's heard before.

edit2: Would i lie to you is better than Have I got News For You? :suicide: x2

Kin fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Miranda wins against The Trip and Grandmas House.

Jesus christ.